redrooster3
Topic Author

Was The 787 World Tour A Success?

Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:50 am

The 787 world tour wrapped up last week with its last stop in Abu Dhabi. You can say that most, if not, all local news stations covered the story of the 787 being in their town. During the 6 month tour, we saw multiple orders. The media did play a large role in the world tour with the news casters making a story. Out of the 4 local news channels I skim through, 3 of them did a story. (That I saw.)

Orders within the past 6 months:

JAL x10 787
Lion Air x5 787
Transaero x4 787
Air Astana x3 787
Air France-KLM firming their 25 787
Etihad Airways 10x 787
ALC x4 787

*Avianca-Taca x3 787 today

I think I covered most of the orders. So that's 61 more orders for the 787 within months, could most, if not, all of these orders play a role in the world tour?

What other roles did Boeing anticipate fulfilling with the world tour? What else am I missing? Would you guys/Boeing consider the tour a success? What will they do with ZA003? Fly her to airshows now? Retire her?

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/B...7/history/20120608/0830Z/OMAA/KBFI
Marry one of us, and you'll fly for free!

gigneil

RE: Was The 787 World Tour A Success?

Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:56 am

I don't think the world tour accomplishes anything other than press. I don't believe that it sways operators one way or another.

NS

oldeuropean

Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:00 am

Do you really think that any airline is impressed by a "world tour" to buy an aircraft? They can't care less about some PR flights by any aircraft maker.

[Edited 2012-06-19 23:01:29]
Wer nichts weiss muss alles glauben

CM

Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:42 am

Quoting redrooster3 (Thread starter):
What other roles did Boeing anticipate fulfilling with the world tour?

Other than promoting the airplane from a PR standpoint, the main purpose of the world tour was to recognize and give some press to the airlines which have committed to the airplane. The stops principally focused on operators who already purchased the 787 and most of the opportunities to access the airplane were for existing 787 customers. There were a few exceptions, such as a stops in IST and MAD so the employees of THY and IBE could tour the airplane. However, the evidence of where the world tour did and did not go indicates the focus on gaining new customers was very low on the list of priorities for the tour.

sweair

Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:15 am

It will be deliveries that sell the 787, if things pick up and airlines see that the 787 has turned its corner. If they start seeing stable 4-6 deliveries a month more airlines might get confidence in it and Boeing must keep looking how to up the rate above 10 a month to eat through the 800+ backlog. If they can do 14 a month like they have talked about that is some relief at least, 48 extra frames a year. Still that backlog is many years of hard work for Boeing.

It might come more orders if the 787-10 is firmed up by B, many 772s+A333s will have to be replaced in 6 years time. Or Airlines might convert some orders from 8 to 10..If it gets 6800nm it will be a popular EU to Asia cattle class carrier?

Stitch

Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:48 pm

Quoting gigneil (Reply 1):
I don't think the world tour accomplishes anything other than press. I don't believe that it sways operators one way or another.
Quoting oldeuropean (Reply 2):
Do you really think that any airline is impressed by a "world tour" to buy an aircraft? They can't care less about some PR flights by any aircraft maker.

While the world tour for the 787 certainly didn't need to be flown to generate new orders (the 787 already has plenty), I do believe it was important to the current customers so they could show the plane off to their staffs and their customers (the folks who will buy tickets to fly on it).

It's the same reason Airbus slapped various customer stickers on the A380-800 and sent it off to Paris, Dubai, Sydney, Singapore and other cities to do fly-overs of downtown. Those operators wanted their customers to see the amazing new airframe they were going to add to their fleet.

osiris30

Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:08 pm

Does anyone know off hand where Air Canada sits in the delivery queue... I've lost track of who and when on this program over the years.

TIA

Steve
I don't care what you think of my opinion. It's my opinion, so have a nice day :)

KDAYflyer

Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:23 pm

Quoting gigneil (Reply 1):

I agree. Just fluffanutter.................

ASA

Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:14 pm

It was definitely a PR success ... that's what the tour was for!   

But the way the OP links it to orders ... is flawed assumptions ...

jetblast

Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:18 pm

It was for good press, and I believe it accomplished that. After the massive delay it was nice for Boeing to bring the bird to my airport and actually let us have a look around to see just how impressive the airplane actually is and that it's not just a blueprint anymore. Somewhat made the delay worth it in my eyes, just playing with the windows 
Speedbird Concorde One

osiris30

Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:48 pm

Quoting osiris30 (Reply 6):

Does anyone know off hand where Air Canada sits in the delivery queue... I've lost track of who and when on this program over the years.

TIA

Steve

Sorry guys wrong thread.. not sure how it happened. Apologies!
I don't care what you think of my opinion. It's my opinion, so have a nice day :)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos