hotplane
Topic Author

Farewell Finnair Retro A319

Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:09 am

Silver Bird will be repainted into standard livery after one final trip to MXP. No date mentioned though.

http://blogs.finnair.com/2012/06/20/...finnairs-retro--plane-silver-bird/
?

B738FlyUIA

RE: Farewell Finnair Retro A319

Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:20 am

Quoting hotplane (Thread starter):

Silver Bird will be repainted into standard livery after one final trip to MXP. No date mentioned though.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ole Simon
View Large View Medium

Photo © Kalle Ahtola - flyFinland

View Large View Medium

Photo © Paul Markman

What a pity that will be repainted!!! Did see the AY Retro a couple of times in different airports... Time fly's really fast since it was done good 3 years ago!!!

Just a thought: Can it be that now airlines are getting there retros back to standard livery's?? What will the next one be? Any thoughts?

ABQopsHP

Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:51 am

My guess is, we wont see much in the way of retro schemes any time soon. Since, the industry seems to be operating on the cheap. I hated to say that, but we all know its true. No one wants to spend money, on image, or customer service, with a few exceptions, such as EK, ET, or SQ . I would love to see CX do one, and how about SA? They could bring back the Springbok to the tail. In the mean time, we still have US and the Heritage planes, and a few others with their retro schemes. Of course we will always have Airliners.net to look back in time   .

JD CRP Exjet
ABQ ops, Cactus 202 requesting you order 5 Green Chile Chicken stew for us to p/u on arrival. ;)

na

Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:06 pm

Why a repaint after such a short time? I see no reason at all that makes sense, even the contrary, as its a waste of money as well as losing a flying advert.

skipness1E

Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:21 pm

Quoting ABQopsHP (Reply 2):
and how about SA? They could bring back the Springbok to the tail

They would be stupid beyond belief to bring back the apartheid era livery no matter how good it looks visually.

na

Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:29 pm

Quoting B738FlyUIA (Reply 1):
Just a thought: Can it be that now airlines are getting there retros back to standard livery's?? What will the next one be? Any thoughts?

AFs A320 retrojet is an old plane scheduled for retirement soon.

Quoting skipness1E (Reply 4):
Quoting ABQopsHP (Reply 2):
and how about SA? They could bring back the Springbok to the tail

They would be stupid beyond belief to bring back the apartheid era livery no matter how good it looks visually.

I agree, the old springbok too tainted. Great looking, but a symbol of dark times. I mean, as a logo alone even the Nazi symbol was great, but god beware.

SAAB900

Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:42 pm

I'm so glad that I finally managed to get some decent photo's of it at Düsseldorf the other week!
I can't see the point in repainting it at the moment. Why not leave it as it is? I mean as well as the cost of the repaint,it stands out as it is in it's retro livery & people notice it more,certainly more than the normal Finnair livery!  

Dave(SAAB900).

B738FlyUIA

Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:03 pm

Quoting na (Reply 5):
AFs A320 retrojet is an old plane scheduled for retirement soon.

That is really a pity... soon there will be nothing left over only some that representative some Telco Companies, Football teams or other adverts!!

Quoting SAAB900 (Reply 6):

I'm so glad that I finally managed to get some decent photo's of it at Düsseldorf the other week!

I got some a while ago in ZRH... and happy about that really!!!

Quoting SAAB900 (Reply 6):
I can't see the point in repainting it at the moment. Why not leave it as it is? I mean as well as the cost of the repaint,it stands out as it is in it's retro livery & people notice it more,certainly more than the normal Finnair livery!

I know and especially to the livery AY has now!!! Sure not a step forward!! But agree with you that they actually should leave it, not only about the cost of the repaint but also something special that represents a eye catch at the airports and pax that will fly on (if they or some of them notice).

hotplane
Topic Author

Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:16 pm

Finnair obviously don't keep a very big stock of silver and light blue paint. Buying more in costs money.
?

gunsontheroof

Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:22 pm

Really disappointed to hear this, but I suppose that's how things are going these days. Definitely one of the sharpest-looking retros out there.

photolppt

Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:27 pm

Hi all,

Sad to see it go.
Aircraft will be flown HEL-LIS tomorrow, due into TAP ME for C-Check and repaint into standard c/s.

AirlineCritic

Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:36 pm

The plane was not owned by Finnair, and is going back to the lessor.

I happened to be on this flight, very nice feeling although it was sad to see the bird go away. I will post some pictures soon.

AirlineCritic

Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:13 pm

By random chance, I happened to be on the last flight, which was from MXP to HEL. The feeling on the flight was very nice, the crew was obviously very proud of the plane, passengers were happy, a bit of sadness for the plane going away, champagne was offered even where I was sitting (tourist class), the stewardesses wore 1950s clothing, they handed out Finnair t-shirts, and so on. The captain must have used the word "retro" at least fifty times when he welcomed us to the plane.

I was unprepared to take any pictures, but snapped a few anyway:

The crew and their clothing:

Drinks are being served:

The aircraft:

Closer look:

Everyone has exited, time for the plane to leave Finnair:

hotplane
Topic Author

Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:28 pm

Christ! Were the cabin crew from the 1950's as well?
?

skipness1E

Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:35 pm

Quoting hotplane (Reply 13):
Christ! Were the cabin crew from the 1950's as well?

Are you really 76+ or does your profile mislead? Seems an awfully rude thing to say if you are. Anyhoo, what's worse is that Finnair have one of the worst and most boring liveries around at the moment so when it comes out of the paint shop, it's going to be mainly white !

B738FlyUIA

Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:51 pm

Quoting AirlineCritic (Reply 12):

By random chance, I happened to be on the last flight, which was from MXP to HEL. The feeling on the flight was very nice, the crew was obviously very proud of the plane, passengers were happy, a bit of sadness for the plane going away, champagne was offered even where I was sitting (tourist class), the stewardesses wore 1950s clothing, they handed out Finnair t-shirts, and so on. The captain must have used the word "retro" at least fifty times when he welcomed us to the plane.

Thanks for sharing the pics AirlineCritic. Maybe worth if you have some more to do a TR!! What you think?

AirlineCritic

Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:29 pm

Quoting B738FlyUIA (Reply 15):
Maybe worth if you have some more to do a TR!! What you think?

Maybe not worth it to do an entire TR, since there is already a thread about this. I only have a couple of more pictures. I'll post them here:

Security demonstration:

http://arkko.com/temp/retro/retro6_sec.jpg

The sparkling wine:

http://arkko.com/temp/retro/retro7_wine.jpg

Markings on the outside:

http://arkko.com/temp/retro/retro8_outside.jpg

Front:

http://arkko.com/temp/retro/retro9_front.jpg

http://arkko.com/temp/retro/retro10_front2.jpg

http://arkko.com/temp/retro/retro11_front3.jpg

ASalo

Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:54 pm

AirlineCritic: Actually you weren't on the last flight. After that it still made one rotation to VIE. Nonetheless, all Finnair retro passenger flights are now over for the time being and LVE will soon be ferried to LIS for maintenance.

The aircraft is indeed being returned to lessor, not just repainted. According to the fancy words of its PR department, Finnair is in the process of "optimizing" its A320-series fleet and along with LVE, 3 other leased aircraft will be returned to lessor. 2 A320's (LXE and LXG) are currently stored at HEL in an all-white livery.

TheCommodore

Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:38 pm

Sorry to see her go, she was/is a pretty looking bird  
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

sailas

Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:47 am

I think its a real shame to see it go. I never got to fly on this plane (atleast with the retro livery), which makes it even sadder for me, since i always saw it at HEL airport when traveling. Im so bored with AY s new livery and CEO. I wish AY would take some more modern steps.
Airlines been on: AY, LX, SR, OS, SK, KF, EZY, FR, BA, LH, AF, TG, DC, FC, TK, KL, BT, CX, QR

okay

Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:19 am

Sad to see this livery leave the AY fleet. But, as mentioned earlier, the livery was a part of a bigger PR-stunt made by the company. During this time the Silverbird has been part of the fleet, AY has had a "history crew" assigned for the bird to do flights on it. There was a schedule for the "history flights" where the aircraft and the assigned crew would "meet", doing a flight on Silverbird wearing the old uniform. Such operation needs resources, scheduling the aircraft's rotation as well as crewing of the assigned crew members. Indeed, the aircraft itself did a flight as a "normal" aircraft after the farewell flight to Milan (and has done so all through the time it has been part of the fleet), and is now returned to lessor. The PR-stunt has come to an end. Sad, but time to do something new, I guess. You will be missed, Silverbird!

okAY

okay

Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:37 am

Here is a picture Finnair posted on their Facebook page with retro crew as well as "retro passengers" celebrating the farewell flight to Milan. the "retro passengers" were dressed in the spirit of the 1950*s as well. Picture provided by Finnair.

http://www.airliners.net/uf/view.file?id=46113&filename=phpC6A1uf.jpeg

okAY

B738FlyUIA

Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:01 am

Quoting AirlineCritic (Reply 16):
Maybe not worth it to do an entire TR, since there is already a thread about this.

Why? I would do the effort for sure!! Just think how many of the same e.g. EK 380 TR's are available or from some other airliners. Even to my own TR's I was in Russia a couple of times and twice with AB on the leg ZRH - DUS(TXL) - DME and still did the TR. I'm sure and also from other fellow A.netters would be highly appreciated.

Quoting AirlineCritic (Reply 16):
Security demonstration:

Despite having the screens with a safety demo they still did it like in the earlier day's!!! That is really great  
Quoting AY" class="quote" target="_blank">okAY (Reply 20):
Sad to see this livery leave the AY fleet.

Indeed! To my opinion the best looking in AY's fleet!!

okay

Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:23 am

The historical unifrom is not that special, though. AY has been very adventerous when it comes to female uniforms over the years. They could have taken, for example the one from 1970's. Then, the crew had a choice of bright yellow or bright green uniforms to choose from! Now, that was a splash of colour in the cabin!   Ohh, when did it become so boring with colours in uniforms?!

okAY

edit: spelling

[Edited 2012-06-22 00:28:59]

babybus

Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:39 am

If I were Finnair I would look at repainting the whole fleet in the retro livery.

I've lost a lot of confidence in Finnair since the horrific livery change. It looks too cheap and one that belongs to an airline short of cash and perhaps mindful of a short future.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

AirlineCritic

Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:19 pm

Quoting okAY (Reply 21):

Here is a picture Finnair posted on their Facebook page with retro crew as well as "retro passengers" celebrating the farewell flight to Milan. the "retro passengers" were dressed in the spirit of the 1950*s as well. Picture provided by Finnair.

Wonderful picture!

Anyway, again by completely random chance I was flying through HEL when the Silver Bird was leaving. As noted, the last passenger flight had been done, but maybe this is the special VIE flight that ASalo was talking about, or maybe the plane was making its final return flight.

On the stand:

http://arkko.com/temp/retro/retro12_stand1.jpg

http://arkko.com/temp/retro/retro12_stand2.jpg

http://arkko.com/temp/retro/retro12_stand3.jpg

Taxiing:

http://arkko.com/temp/retro/retro13_taxi.jpg

Unfortunately, as I was about to board my flight, I had just put away my long lens in my backpack when the Silver Bird took off. I did not get a picture of the lift-off, but I did see it. Sniff.

HELyes

Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:56 pm

A video from the last flight, with a special retro touch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnnyxo1U6fo&feature=g-all-u

B738FlyUIA

Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:34 pm

Quoting HELyes (Reply 26):
A video from the last flight, with a special retro touch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnnyx...all-u

Thanks for sharing HELyes!!!! Simply great and love that Vid very much!!!!!!

So what will the future be of OH-LVE? Anybody know where will be flying "soon"??

ilari

Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:02 pm

Quoting ASalo (Reply 17):
2 A320's (LXE and LXG) are currently stored at HEL in an all-white livery

LXE?? My favourite! (probably because I've had most of my AY A320 flights on LXE)   

757MDE

Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:36 am

I was in Helsinki a few weeks ago.
I am glad to know I was able to catch it.
I wanted to share this with you, 11pm arrival from Zurich. June 13th 2012.
(The screeners did not like it as has become the norm with this website).

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g466/airdres/OH-LVEDSC_0798.jpg
Quisiera volveraamartevolveraquerertevolveratenertecerrrrcaademígirl! Mis ojos lloran porrr ti...