TheFlyer
Topic Author

Lie-flat, Herringbone, First Class Sleeper Seats

Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:30 pm

Does anyone have any information related to lie-flat seats (e.g., first class sleeper seats) arranged in a herringbone fashion, which were developed or in use prior to 2002? I’m conducting research related to the development of these seats and am looking for any information I might be able to get a hold of.

If possible, I’m looking for information related to a herringbone seat(s) that has extra room or a space around the headrest, which is usable to the passenger when the seat is in the reclined (i.e., lie-flat) position. Currently, I know of several herringbone seats developed or in use during the 90’s or early 2000’s (e.g., the British Airways first class seat shown here - http://www.google.com/patents?id=flw...4vYMajl0gG4zPGpAw&ved=0CDgQ6wEwAA; and Virgin Atlantic’s upper class seat shown here - http://www.google.com/patents?id=MLC...ymH6nB0QHwvYjrAw&ved=0CDYQ6wEwAA).
Any information about other seats of this type would be much appreciated.

Stitch

RE: Lie-flat, Herringbone, First Class Sleeper Seats

Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:56 pm

The First Class center pair seats for airlines like BA, AF and UA don't really strike me as being "herringbone" in configuration.

When I think "herringbone", I think of the Business Class product of carriers like DL, VS and NZ.

TheFlyer
Topic Author

Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:24 pm

I guess I should clarify, I am basically looking for any angled seats including herringbone.

jfk777

Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:48 pm

The new Cathay Pacifc is another type of herringbone seat, forward facing.

cedarjet

Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:30 am

Zone A - the nose section - of a 747 barely counts, I mean even early Pan Am 747-100s in 1970 of course had seats that faced slightly inward with the curvature of the cabin walls. The point of Herringbone layout is that it's an innovative way of making the most of the space, which the slightly inward-facing seats in Zone A of a jumbo isn't, it's just a natural response to the shape of the cabin. Btw - Corsair 747s have Y in the nose, and they curve inwards too.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Eric Fortin AirTeamImages

fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

cedarjet

Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:36 am

PS don't forget, the staggered seating on Etihad, Swiss, Emirates and others is a form of Herringbone, except the seats themselves face forward. But it is undoubtedly an attempt to use the space as efficiently as possible, using the same theory.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Rotate
View Large View Medium

Photo © Daniel P Fretwell

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Eti...Etihad_Airways_Airbus_A340-500.php
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

alaskaqantas

Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:53 pm

hi,

here is a great article about different types of seats.
http://www.ausbt.com.au/airline-busi...-seats-and-cabin-layouts-explained

~Cheers-
~~Kyle
to some people the sky is the limit, to aviation enthusiasts, its home!

TheFlyer
Topic Author

Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:43 pm

Does anyone know when the first angled seats were used in airplanes (or have any examples of that)? I've seen some very early versions, but more information would help too for the project. That type of info and the development into modern day angled seating (of course) would be great. Thanks.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos