LAXintl
Topic Author

DOT Fines – Volaris – Deceptive Pricing

Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:59 pm

DOT today is out with a $130,000 civil fine against Volaris airlines for unfair and deceptive practices.

The DOT found that following a website update in late January 2012, Volaris failed to properly disclose applicable baggage fees to consumers.

More specifically Volaris failed to meet requirement of advertising and displaying fares on its website without providing the appropriate links to applicable baggage fees within the first screen where the fare quotation appeared. So while Volaris properly displayed a outbound and return fare matrix including applicable government taxes and fees, it failed to inform consumers of additional potential baggage fees and their amounts.

Consent Order 2012-6-15
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

rwy04lga

RE: DOT Fines – Volaris – Deceptive Pricing

Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:05 pm

I'm sure that wasn't intentional. (IMHO)
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

roseflyer

RE: DOT Fines – Volaris – Deceptive Pricing

Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:08 pm

It doesn’t surprise me that a smaller international airline gets hit by the rules. They are quite strict and confusing, so for a small airline with a minimal IT department, I can see mistakes being made. 130,000 however is a bit bigger than the normal DOT fine. The DOT is always fining airlines for their pricing. Pick your favorite airline, and I bet the DOT has fined them in the last 3 years.

[Edited 2012-06-22 12:08:33]
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!