cx828
Topic Author

China New Kunming Airport Start To Operate

Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:55 am

The new airport in Kunming China start to operate today called Kunming Changshui International Airport replace the old one called Kunming Wujiaba International Airport. The new airport has the second largest terminal building in China.

http://news.cntv.cn/china/20120628/109290.shtml

in mandarin only.

B2443

RE: China New Kunming Airport Start To Operate

Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:04 pm

More pictures here of the last day and the last flight out of the old KMG and the first day and first flight out of the new KMG. Caption in Chinese.

http://pic.feeyo.com/posts/565/5658387.html

CZ346

Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:01 pm

Yet another massive massive airport that wont see half the traffic its built for.

KMG is one of the higher traffic airports though. Nanchang airport IMO is the most absurd, just massive massive facilities and very little traffic.

I've always said the only facility in China thats built to such a massive scale and still needs expansion is the Guangzhou Expo Centre for the Canton Fair..

Rara

Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:07 pm

Quoting CZ346 (Reply 2):

Yet another massive massive airport that wont see half the traffic its built for.

KMG is one of the higher traffic airports though. Nanchang airport IMO is the most absurd, just massive massive facilities and very little traffic.

Hmm. And yet in the West, many of our airports are at or over capacity, we have huge difficulties in enlarging them, and we wonder why oh why our politicians didn't have the foresight to make them bigger and more extendable from the get-go...
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

Flighty

Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:15 pm

Quoting Rara (Reply 3):
And yet in the West, many of our airports are at or over capacity, we have huge difficulties in enlarging them, and we wonder why oh why our politicians didn't have the foresight to make them bigger and more extendable from the get-go...

Both methods are wrong... under-building and over-building. Both have long-term permanent costs.

zeke

Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:18 pm

Quoting CZ346 (Reply 2):

Maybe not today, however as more of the population can afford to fly, and exports increase, the airport will increase in traffic. The other issues with KMG, it is strategically important as a diversion airfield with the high terrain around it. With a single runway only at the old airport, and close in terrain. The new airport is a safer option with two runways, which allows for one to close for maintenance and still provide a landing runway is far better solution.
We are addicted to our thoughts. We cannot change anything if we cannot change our thinking – Santosh Kalwar

CZ346

Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:27 pm

Quoting zeke (Reply 5):

I agree. Like I was saying this one will see more than others, along with the problems of the surrounding terrain. I know it will see the traffic.... China needs a huge restructuring of their ATC network and implimentation of precision approaches, and I know that is a big part of why this new airport was built.

dellatorre

Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:59 am

I don't know about you, but I personally think this airport terminal is stunning!!! Looking at those pictures I felt like I should've been there to experience such a special moment. The yellow is so emblematic of China! I wish we could have anything that would slightly resemble such airport here in Brazil.

ZKOJH

Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:13 am

I flew into the old one 3 years ago, will be nice to try the new one out on my next trip to south China.  
Vietnam time..

lightsaber
Crew

Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:59 am

Congrats on the new airport.

Was the old airport really at 22M+ passengers per year on *one* runway? That is far too congested. Anything more than 15M pax/year on one runway and passengers are being forced to fly at times they would rather not. Which means they might not choose not to fly.

Quoting CZ346 (Reply 2):

Airports should be built for 15 years of growth. You managed to take this thread off track pretty quick. However, the new airport should allow 30% growth (call it to 30 mill pax/year) pretty quickly. In other words, a non-capitol city will have the two runways well utilized within 3 to 5 years. So its a good thing more runways are planned. Otherwise that city will be out of capacity well before 15 years from now.

Quoting CZ346 (Reply 2):
I've always said the only facility in China thats built to such a massive scale and still needs expansion

PEK and PVG airports both require expansion. Others have in the past. If an airport is maxed out, one should build for twice the current traffic! Any more, and the airport is uneconomical. Any less, and the capacity maxes out too quickly. The fact that the Chinese are planning for future stages of growth?   

Imagine if the Thames Estuary airport is ever built with 4 runways and 24/7 operations.    We wouldn't be debating about airport access to London, but rather which airport.   

Quoting Rara (Reply 3):
And yet in the West, many of our airports are at or over capacity, we have huge difficulties in enlarging them, and we wonder why oh why our politicians didn't have the foresight to make them bigger and more extendable from the get-go...

And then we complain when trans-ocean or other long haul hubbing is done in another nation... sigh. Airports should double every 15 years. Growth happens. The question is where, not if.

Quoting zeke (Reply 5):
however as more of the population can afford to fly, and exports increase, the airport will increase in traffic.

No one is going to keep billions of people form aspiring to the middle class.

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

huaiwei

Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:26 am

Quoting CZ346 (Reply 2):

If you bother to do a bit of research, Kunming is a much more significant destination than Nanchang due to its location, and the passenger figures reflect this. Kunming is considered a significant gateway to key tourism areas in SW China partly due to the lack of alternatives, while Nanchang is dwarfed by much larger cities around it which are easily accessible by train.

Nanchang airport isn't hugely unnecessarily massive, btw, running at 5 million in a 12 million capacity airport. There are better examples to target, such as Zhuhai, then the second largest in China in terms of area (IIRC) and built for 12 million people back in 1995, is still handling only 1.8 million last year despite promises of a new dawn around 2005 due to cooperative agreements with HKIA.
It's huaiwei...not huawei. I have nothing to do with the PRC! :)

PHX787

Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:59 am

Ain't this the airport with the 15,000 foot runway?
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

as739x

Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:34 am

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 11):
Kunming Changshui International Airport

Looking at it on google maps, it doesn't appear so.
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

slinky09

Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:02 am

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 11):
Ain't this the airport with the 15,000 foot runway?

13,123 ft and 14,763 feet apparently.

PHX787

Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:57 pm

Quoting slinky09 (Reply 13):
13,123 ft and 14,763 feet apparently.

Still pretty long. What's the altitude?
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

slinky09

Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:57 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 14):
Still pretty long. What's the altitude?

I believe 2,100 metres, about 7,000 feet (my metric to imperial conversion is rough).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos