bnatraveler

DL Announces WiFi On Int'l Fleet

Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:24 pm

http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=1651

- Starts in early 2013, will take until 2015 to complete.
- All intercontinental ships, including 757s
- Ku band, presumably with Gogo

Can't wait!

AV8AJET

RE: DL Announces WiFi On Int'l Fleet

Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:35 pm

Awesome news, I wonder what the pricing would be? It would be wonderful to have it on a long haul flight!
"To fly or not to fly there is no question!"

wjcandee

Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:58 pm

Quoting BNAtraveler (Thread starter):
Ku band, presumably with Gogo

Oddly, they didn't say it expressly, even though they mention Gogo.

But this GoGo Press Release from earlier this month, excerpted here, may provide the answer:

"Gogo Partners with SES to Offer Broadband Aboard Commercial Airlines
ITASCA, IL/Betzdorf, Luxembourg – June 18, 2012 – Gogo, a leader in in-flight connectivity, and global satellite operator SES (Euronext Paris and Luxembourg Stock Exchange: SESG) today announced they have signed a strategic memorandum of understanding with the goal of bringing high-speed, satellite-delivered Internet access to passengers aboard commercial airliners. Gogo, a pioneer in wireless in-flight digital entertainment solutions, plans to utilize high-throughput Ku-band capacity on current and future SES multi-beam satellites serving the continental United States, the Atlantic Ocean Region and Europe.

SES operates a worldwide fleet of 50 geostationary satellites. “By partnering with SES, Gogo aims to provide the reliable and seamless satellite coverage our current and prospective airline partners must have to meet airline passengers’ demands for high-quality, high-speed Internet access on the fly,” said Gogo president and CEO Michael Small. “With the addition of a trusted satellite operator and Ku-band connectivity solution, Gogo is well positioned to provide a broad range of airlines and aircraft with a variety of technology solutions. Whether it’s Gogo’s exclusive air to ground and ATG-4 technologies, SES’s Ku-band satellites or, Inmarsat’s Global Xpress Ka-band satellite technologies, we plan to offer a full range of connectivity solutions for any aircraft mission.”

“Like Gogo, SES is dedicated to connectivity without boundaries. This groundbreaking alliance between SES and Gogo represents an exciting milestone for commercial airlines and their passengers, who expect the same high-speed Internet access they’re accustomed to on land during their flights,” explained Ferdinand Kayser, Chief Commercial Officer for SES. “SES is looking forward to bringing the best satellites and expertise in the business to what promises to be an important advancement in regional and global airline travel.”

Gogo expects to use this technology to offer airlines connectivity services on international fleets flying transatlantic routes, as well as regional fleets flying within Europe and the United States. Gogo is actively working with SES and other operators to expand that coverage globally.

Gogo also recently announced that it will partner with AeroSat to deliver the satellite antenna, radome, antenna control and modem unit and high power transceiver to Gogo. The AeroSat equipment will be coupled with Gogo’s onboard hardware and software (server and access points) to deliver a complete solution to the airlines. The components have already been developed and are currently going through the airworthiness qualification and certification process. Gogo expects to be able to install the Ku-band systems on commercial aircraft as early as the fourth quarter of 2012. "

coronado

Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:00 pm

What remains staggering is that Delta and its DCI partners operate close to 1000 2-class aircraft, from CR7 on up, plus at least 300 more of the single class jets. (I think they actually owned or contracted a total of 366 of the smaller 50 pax jets at year end 2011, but probably that is already down by 30-50 a/c since then).
The Original Coronado: First CV jet flights RG CV 990 July 1965; DL CV 880 July 1965; Spantax CV990 Feb 1973

mayor

Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:04 pm

Quoting Coronado (Reply 3):
What remains staggering is that Delta and its DCI partners operate close to 1000 2-class aircraft, from CR7 on up, plus at least 300 more of the single class jets.

What's staggering to this old Widget is that when I hired on in '71, DL's fleet was 173 a/c and that included the L-100 freighter.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

FlyASAGuy2005

Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:04 pm

Quoting Coronado (Reply 3):
What remains staggering is that Delta and its DCI partners operate close to 1000 2-class aircraft, from CR7 on up, plus at least 300 more of the single class jets. (I think they actually owned or contracted a total of 366 of the smaller 50 pax jets at year end 2011, but probably that is already down by 30-50 a/c since then).

Just a side-note and I'm sure it was mentioned in the press release (DL loves to throw it out there) but every single a/c in Delta's fleet with a first class cabin (minus international a/c) is equipped with WiFi. The installation was complete on all the CR7s/CR9s/170s/175s just in time for the busy summer season; along with Economy Comfort on these types.
What gets measured gets done.

DeltaMD90

Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:20 pm

Good... are they the first US carrier to do so? Seems like DL is leading the way in many* aspects

*NOT ALL, before I get a million examples otherwise
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

panamair

Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:22 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 6):
Good... are they the first US carrier to do so?

AA should be the first US carrier with international wi-fi when their first 77W is delivered later this year...

coronado

Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:30 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 4):
What's staggering to this old Widget

I first flew Delta in 1965, a CV880 from Miami to Chicago, memorable for the aircraft, since it was a connection from a Varig CV990 from Galeao. then in 1972 I was based at Fort Benning GA, so I got to experience a lot of the classic Delta southern hospitality.
The Original Coronado: First CV jet flights RG CV 990 July 1965; DL CV 880 July 1965; Spantax CV990 Feb 1973

atlflyer

Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:40 pm

It says they will use Ku-band...once Ka band is more readily available, anyone know how difficult it would be to switch to this faster band?

syncmaster

Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:11 pm

Quoting Atlflyer (Reply 9):

It says they will use Ku-band...once Ka band is more readily available, anyone know how difficult it would be to switch to this faster band?

I don't know for sure, but the system is designed to be fairly modular and easy to swap in new equipment unless it requires a different dish on the outside of the aircraft.

scutfarcus

Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:07 am

Hope this includes power outlets! My laptop doesn't have more than a couple hours charge time (granted it's old).

cat3dual

Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:11 am

Quoting scutfarcus (Reply 11):

Buy a new one. Or a seat with a power outlet.

bnatraveler

Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:49 am

I just hope that the satellite service on the Gogo Ku service isn't as bad as the HughesNet wifi service on SWA. I use both Gogo and Row44/SWA often and Gogo is very consistent and not very latent. SWA is very choppy and slow - not to mention the stupid banner injection that they do which screws up anything that runs on port 80 (*lots*).

I have made it to a point where I simply do not buy SWA's wifi service anymore when on a plane that has the service, whereas I am a monthly purchaser of Gogo across all airlines. SWA really needs to do a lot to improve the usability, speed and experience on their service.

wjcandee

Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:24 am

How funny that WN is dumping the GoGo on all the FL planes (all of which have long been equipped with GoGo), and all the WN kool-aid drinkers were crowing about how absolutely, positively superior the Row 44 service was and how WN is always the best, and how primitive GoGo was, and blah-blah-blah. DL will likely have the whole international fleet up and running by the time WN finishes installing Row44. (Okay, an exaggeration...but it's pretty damn impressive how quickly they have put GoGo on all the larger regional jets, a testament to the simplicity and speed of the GoGo install, which can be done on an RON.) I personally think that ATG-4, combined with the on-board movie servers, is going to keep GoGo one step ahead in terms of consistency for a long time. No, the bandwidth isn't gigantic and I can't download all of Microsoft Office Professional (4 hours over cable modem) while on board, but it does a great, consistent job of loading web pages and other essentials smoothly and with minimal latency at a very fair price.

Of course, Row 44 was doubtless chosen by the same geniuses who were responsible for that *fabulous* reservations system they have... Who knew that "bags fly free" was really driven by "we can't make our system charge you for bags"?

[Edited 2012-06-28 23:26:59]

DocLightning

Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:47 am

Quoting scutfarcus (Reply 11):

Hope this includes power outlets! My laptop doesn't have more than a couple hours charge time (granted it's old).

The iPad will give you ten full hours of life. Get one. You don't have space to open a lappy in a Y seat, anyway.

Back to the topic:

Does anyone know if the international aircraft will be able to switch to cellular mode when over land? Is cellular faster than satellite? I imagine it would be.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

ghifty

Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:11 am

This is great! Just the other day while flying TATL to BCN, I was thinking to myself how pointless transcon WiFi is (for the average consumer).. and how great TATL WiFi would be.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 15):
The iPad will give you ten full hours of life. Get one. You don't have space to open a lappy in a Y seat, anyway.

Get a book. Unlimited life.

More seriously, if you need a laptop you need a laptop. iPads are great for Angry Birds and reading (personally, I prefer a real paper book) but not much else. You can bring up movies as a plus for iPads.. but most of DL's international birds already have IFE.. so that's irrelevant. I hate using iOS and Android OS for internet browsing, feels un-intuitive and lacks the level of functionality a true laptop affords.

Not enough space? I can say from personal experience with DL's B75E and A333 less than a month ago that I have no problems using my 13" MacBook Pro in flight..
Fly Delta Jets

PHX787

Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:18 am

Thank god they're doing this!

Long over due, but I'm guessing it will be expensive >
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

PIEAvantiP180

Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:44 am

Quoting ghifty (Reply 16):

I have a 17.5" HP laptop and i have had no problem using it on 4 different airline coash seats. I think this will be a great draw to alot of business people and almost anyone connected to my generation. We are so used to being connected to the internet 24/7, if this product is sold at a descent price i can see GOGO and DL making alot of money.

syncmaster

Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:08 am

Quoting wjcandee (Reply 14):
but it's pretty damn impressive how quickly they have put GoGo on all the larger regional jets, a testament to the simplicity and speed of the GoGo install, which can be done on an RON

Definitely. Any idea how long the Row 44 takes to install on average?

Quoting ghifty (Reply 16):
Get a book. Unlimited life.

Until you finish the book, at least.

coronado

Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:43 pm

Is it my understanding that the international aircraft will use the satellite link up when deployed or operating a domestic leg? Or will they be equipped with both the ground cell receivers and the satellite antenna?