stlgph
Topic Author

Southwest To Test Live Tv In-flight

Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:08 pm

Personally - not surprised to see this as a way to drum up new revenue, especially given the expected profit warning to come from the company.

LiveTV will be a separate charge from WiFi - pricing from $3 to $8 during the trial period.

"Southwest Airlines, in conjunction with Row 44, is taking the next step in wireless inflight entertainment with a preview of live TV on five of the carrier's aircraft, with plans to expand to 20 aircraft by mid-July. Customers on these select planes will now have the option to purchase live TV consisting of seven sports and news channels, and view on their personal devices"

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...ht-on-five-aircraft-160682475.html
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

unmlobo

RE: Southwest To Test Live Tv In-flight

Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:15 pm

Very exciting stuff!
The views expressed do not necessarily represent those of Southwest Airlines its Directors or its Employees

Mexicana757

Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:35 pm

Good to see WN jump on this.      

BD338

Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:55 pm

1) I wish WN would get the wi-fi roll out finished first, very hit and miss getting a flight with working wi-fi.
2) I wish the wi-fi would actually work, the few times I've used the wi-fi the streaming speeds have been very slow to near useless.
3) 7 channels of (repetitive) sports and news - Is this just for the test period or is the full extent of the roll out plan?
4) I wonder if LiveTV willl be added as a perk to A List Preferred members as per free wi-fi.

aztrainer

Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:18 pm

Quoting BD338 (Reply 3):
1) I wish WN would get the wi-fi roll out finished first, very hit and miss getting a flight with working wi-fi.
2) I wish the wi-fi would actually work, the few times I've used the wi-fi the streaming speeds have been very slow to near useless.
3) 7 channels of (repetitive) sports and news - Is this just for the test period or is the full extent of the roll out plan?
4) I wonder if LiveTV willl be added as a perk to A List Preferred members as per free wi-fi.

I would of thought that it was better also. From my last two times spotting at PHX there were so many WN planes with the LiveTV domes installed.

Goldenshield

Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:30 pm

I can see it now...

Southwest: No bag fees!

Delta, JetBlue: No TV fees!
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

usflyguy

Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:33 pm

Quoting aztrainer (Reply 4):

It's not LiveTV, it's live TV using the Row44 satellite based wifi feeds.
My post is my ideas and my opinions only, I do not represent the ideas or opinions of anyone else or company.

ouboy79

Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:17 pm

Quoting aztrainer (Reply 4):
I would of thought that it was better also. From my last two times spotting at PHX there were so many WN planes with the LiveTV domes installed.

As previously stated those are the Row44 domes for the WiFi system. The TV option is being provided over that existing wifi system where you'll use a personal device to access it. It is not the LiveTV system where TVs and such will be installed.