flyjoe
Topic Author

AE Flight Attendant On A Power Trip

Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:42 pm

Wow! I know it's a LGA flight and delays can cause tempers to run high, but this is a little over the top. I love how he acts all dumb when the gate agents come onboard. He has this look of, "Who me? Don't believe them.". I'm guessing this was was AA4607 to RDU

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-T...n-Eagle-Flight-Attendant-Goes-Nuts

[Edited 2012-06-28 15:44:14]

OA260

RE: AE Flight Attendant On A Power Trip

Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:00 pm

Lucky I rarely meet these little drama queens who are obviously in the wrong job . They do pop up in forums sometimes though   lol....

Type-Rated

Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:27 pm

WHatever happened to the fake smile with saying "I'm so sorry, we are trying to get you to your destination as fast as we can, please bear with us.."
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

VXCabinCrew

Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:26 am

It's sad that people in the airline industry behave like this, making the rest of us look bad. I would never talk to a guest like that, regardless of the situation. When things get too heated with a guest, I politely tell them I am stepping away from the situation. Yes, passengers act like animals. That doesn't entitle flight attendants to respond in the same manner. This Jose guy is an embarrassment to me and my coworkers in the industry. Wow! Just wow!

flyingcat

Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:36 am

Everyone is misunderstanding this. It's their newest promotion "If you have bAAlls". Just ask Maya Leibman its the best way to get personal service from AA.

mats

Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:40 am

VXCabinCrew,

You clearly have enough self-awareness to manage stressful situations. I'm always surprised when a flight attendant makes a fool of himself or herself on camera. Flight attendant jobs are extremely competitive, so I wonder how someone with such miserable social skills managed to pass through all of the applications, interviews, and training.

Sure, everyone has bad days, but you really have to know how to talk yourself through stress if you're working on an airplane. Above all, pretty much everyone has the ability to capture audio and video.

I'm sure it was an awful evening at LaGuardia, but this guy was a tremendous embarrassment to American Eagle. I'm sure that there are hundreds of people who want to fly, and who could handle themselves with greater maturity on a delayed ERJ.

We've all heard stories of flight attendants saying, "it's my last day." Even if it's your last day, behavior like that on YouTube could haunt you for decades.

nws2002

Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:00 am

The passengers seemed fairly calm in that video until the ground staff arrived. I'm with VXCabinCrew, I'm embarrassed this guy is a fellow flight attendant. I have never raised my voice or used foul language with passengers. It won't get you anywhere but trouble and the only way to defuse the situation is to remain calm. Apologize for what happened and inform about what is going to happen, that is all anyone can do.

ghifty

Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:02 am

Ridiculous!

I once had a one-hour flight delay on U2, heading to ORY airport. The one-hour delay pushed arrival into ORY past the landing time restrictions.. which would have meant a diversion to CDG. In that situation, I expected the flight crew and attendants to be quite tense, but they remained professional throughout the entire flight.. keeping us updated.. heck, they were one of the *friendliest* flight crews I ever had. And, I suppose, thanks to the flight deck's proactive attempts, ORY somehow made an extension for us and we didn't divert to CDG.. just an example of what a flight crew should be..
Fly Delta Jets

Farzan

Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:45 am

This guy should be fired, period.

However, is has to be said that passengers can be real nasty, and especially when cramped into their seats for hours on the ground. Somehow, when airborne things are different, and most people accept other disruptions such as a diversion without complaints. This in spite that a diversion generally causes more severe inconvenience than a ground delay at departure.

I am flying in and out of PEK almost every week, and long ground delays are more common that not. The Chinese airlines will let passengers board on time even if they already know that there will be a long delay. (To avoid paying compensation). Last week I was on a full 738 on the ground for 4 hours before we finally got clearance for departure. People were yelling at the flight attendants. One female FA was crying, one male FA got a punch by a passenger and the air marshal had to stop the fight. (Believe it or not, the violent passenger was allowed to stay on board).

Wonder what kind of language Mr. Jose would have used in this situation.

Wow!

heathrow

Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:36 pm

I don't agree with the language he used. Very unprofessional. But power trip? High temper? This man seems very calm, and didn't seem to verbally abuse anyone. I think he needs some English classes, and a course in customer service, but I don't think it's enough to warrant being fired. I've experienced much worse myself on AC......   

Cipango

Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:07 pm

I once flew FR from LPL-KIR and due to severe weather in KIR we had to divert to SNN. We were stuck on the plane for 2 hours after we landed and many passengers were complaining. As much stick as FR gets, the crew remained professional and apologetic throughout.

This behavior in the video is shocking and shouldn't be tolerated, especially from a Legacy carrier.
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

eastern747

Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:25 pm

I too, don't agree with the language. However! I can't be more empathetic to this poor guy locked up with New Yorkers! and no where to go. I assume there was another F/A on board, but not sure. I dealt with New Yorkers when I was in Washington and south Florida. I'm sorry if I offend, but not a happy group. I'm sure the cockpit crew stayed locked behind closed door. I learned very early that this group feels that the louder they yell the more they get. Almost worked for me until I got the message and went the opposite way. The screamers got a middle seat in smoking and the flight was full. For upgrades due to oversales, we always picked the little old ladies and the screamers went to the back. This flight attendant maybe he should have just apologised and sat on the jump seat, with a promise to keep them posted.Trying to calm down a group of unhappy New Yorkers is like calming down a group of nasty bees.

Maverick623

Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:14 pm

Quoting heathrow (Reply 9):
But power trip? High temper? This man seems very calm, and didn't seem to verbally abuse anyone.

"If you have balls, you can get off the airplane."

That fits my definition of verbally abusive.

Quoting heathrow (Reply 9):
but I don't think it's enough to warrant being fired.

Depends on his record, and how well he does when being questioned about it. A long-term suspension is definitely in order.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

tonystan

Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:03 pm

Quoting Mats (Reply 5):
Flight attendant jobs are extremely competitive, so I wonder how someone with such miserable social skills managed to pass through all of the applications, interviews, and training

Depends really. So many airlines have gone down the "Lowest common denominator" route and offering the lowest and crappiest contracts going that they are not recruiting high calibre candidates anymore. I know my own company recently went down this path and their is an element of " I want to meet a pilot and have babies" or " I want to see the world and get wrecked in as many cities as possible" when asked why they want to do the job. The obtion is hire these less then customer focused twits or hire no one at all. And when you have a plane full of these types with only one or two experienced and professional individuals, you can be assured that standards will not sink through.

Its the way of the future I fear!
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

highflier92660

Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:38 pm

This may be outside the envelope of political correctness but my 62 year-old father thought the flight attendant's accented P.A. was hilarious, especially the part about "flying with Jose." Apparently when he was in grade school there was a famous comedian named Bill Dana who had an entire routine about being an astronaut. The running gag line was "my name Jose Jimenez..."

ASFlyer

Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:16 pm

Quoting tonystan (Reply 13):
Depends really. So many airlines have gone down the "Lowest common denominator" route and offering the lowest and crappiest contracts going that they are not recruiting high calibre candidates anymore. I know my own company recently went down this path and their is an element of " I want to meet a pilot and have babies" or " I want to see the world and get wrecked in as many cities as possible" when asked why they want to do the job. The obtion is hire these less then customer focused twits or hire no one at all. And when you have a plane full of these types with only one or two experienced and professional individuals, you can be assured that standards will not sink through.

Its the way of the future I fear!

This is spot on. Everyone here loves to complain about the lack of professionalism and polish in the Flight Attendants in the U.S. - that's because nobody wants the jobs anymore. Oh, sure, some people do - just not the same people that wanted it 20-30 years ago. Anyone worth their salt has realized they can make a lot more money and get just as much job satisfaction doing just about anything else. Why subject ones self to abusive passengers, unhealthy work environments and irratic schedules all for very low pay. Before anybody mentions "seeing the world" or getting great layovers, blah, blah, blah - consider that most airlines now have short layovers (8-12 hours) and very long duty days. The days of wine and roses are over. Passengers spoke with their wallets and got what they wanted. Cheap airfares. Airlines cut corners wherever they could to provide this. Enjoy.

cedarjet

Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:38 pm

I bet the punters were really obnoxious. There are worse things in the world than the public use of the word "balls". Someone above said it's "verbally abusive". I say get a grip.

And btw - that breitbart.com site is insane! I've never seen anything like it. Describes itself in there somewhere as "centre-right". You're having a laugh.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Maverick623

Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:32 pm

Quoting cedarjet (Reply 16):
I bet the punters were really obnoxious.

I'm sure they were.

There are worse things in the world than the public use of the word "balls".

There are worse things in the world than smoking in the lavs, too. Does that mean smokers should go unpunished?

Someone above said it's "verbally abusive". I say get a grip.

Abuse

to use wrongly or improperly; misuse: to abuse one's authority.
to treat in a harmful, injurious, or offensive way: to abuse a horse; to abuse one's eyesight.
to speak insultingly, harshly, and unjustly to or about; revile; malign.

This isn't you messing about with your friends, this is the guy who's supposed to lead people in case of an emergency. You might excuse the language, but I don't excuse the behavior.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

1stfl94

Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:08 pm

I bet the punters were really obnoxious. There are worse things in the world than the public use of the word "balls". Someone above said it's "verbally abusive". I say get a grip

If you're being paid to deal with the public you still have to be polite, maybe not verbally abusive but never a good sign of a professional.

Captaindoony

Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:17 pm

Whilst the word 'balls' wasn't the best term to use, would there have been a fuss made if he had made the same announcement in a politer way?

You can bet that he had been heckled by 60 odd people for 2+ hours - he is only human and sometimes enough is enough and the "bear with us, we'll get going soon" bollocks won't cut it.

The passengers also seem pretty damn pathetic whining at the ground agents and cops like a crime had been committed. People sometimes need to loosen up and get on with it.

cedarjet

Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:02 pm

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 17):
There are worse things in the world than smoking in the lavs, too. Does that mean smokers should go unpunished?

Smoking in the lavs is actually incredibly dangerous and has caused fatalities. Using a word that isn't even bleeped on TV is a teeny bit unprofessional but it isn't abusive and certainly isn't dangerous, let alone in any way analogous to smoking in the toilet. I can't even begin to see any comparison.

Quoting CaptainDoony (Reply 19):
You can bet that he had been heckled by 60 odd people for 2+ hours - he is only human and sometimes enough is enough and the "bear with us, we'll get going soon" bollocks won't cut it.

And I do agree the punters sound incredibly childish and pathetic complaining to the cops and ground agents. Like kids trying to get their side of the story to Mummy before the other kids. No good guys in this incident that I can see.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

peanuts

Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:04 pm

Quoting CaptainDoony (Reply 19):
The passengers also seem pretty damn pathetic whining at the ground agents and cops like a crime had been committed. People sometimes need to loosen up and get on with it.

Exactly.
A FA's poor attitude and unprofessionalism spiraled into ugly group dynamics on display here. Both sides clearly over reacted. People LOVE to get sucked into drama of any sorts.

sweair

Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:11 pm

LOL, I think I could hear a few less male males comment?

heathrow

Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:50 am

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 12):
"If you have balls, you can get off the airplane."

That fits my definition of verbally abusive.

I can understand that conclusion, however with the tone of how he said it, I think he misspoke. It sounds like English is not his first language, so he may have made the statement incorrectly, and it sounds like he was trying to make light of the situation in an inappropriate way at an inappropriate time.

If he had said this straight to the passengers face to face such as "Yeah, well if you have the balls you can get off the airplane", I would consider it more a personal attack, but still not abusive. There is no threat.

Mir

Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:24 am

I can't excuse the FA's conduct, but one thing about the video does strike me as odd:

Would the passengers rather have boarded their flight at 1:25 and sat on the plane until 4? Would they rather have not been allowed to get off once the plane got back to the gate to refuel? Seems like AE did the best they could to not have them sitting on the plane indefinitely (which, from what I've heard, is what people want), but somehow that gets translated into doing the passengers a disservice by the media.

There's just no winning.  

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

nws2002

Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:04 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 24):
There's just no winning.

Welcome to the airline industry.

longhauler

Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:22 pm

Quoting ASFlyer (Reply 15):
The days of wine and roses are over. Passengers spoke with their wallets and got what they wanted. Cheap airfares. Airlines cut corners wherever they could to provide this. Enjoy.

That says it all.

Passengers wanted cheap airfares, that's what they got. Along with it comes; no meals, tight seating, dirty aircraft due to tight scheduling, delays due to tight scheduling, surly employees, full aircraft, fees fees fees, .... did I miss anything?

Long gone are the days where flying is a pleasure for the average Economy passenger. It's not going to get any better! So enjoy your cheap seat, its what you wanted.

But "back in the day", I remember flying on an AC L1011, YYZ-LAX in Economy and one of the passengers was complaining that he didn't get his choice of meal. Get this ... it was the second meal served on that 5 hour flight! So there were complaints then too. I shudder to think what we will complain about 20 years from now!
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

BC77008

Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:37 pm

An embarrassment to my profession and I hope they fire him. I'm 37 years old and just started as an FA at the beginning of this year, so admittedly I'm still basking in the "new job" glow. But having been a customer service manager for several power companies (including being a part of a start-up retail electric company in Texas that ended up selling for $142 million) I must say the job is pretty damn easy. It's really no different than entertaining guests in your own home.
"He waited his whole damn life to take that flight. And as the plane crashed down he thought 'Well isn't this nice...'"