Rdh3e

UA IAH Pull Down Begins In Earnest

Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:08 pm

Well we've all heard about the cancellation of IAH-AKL, now we see the cancellation of IAH-CDG. I've been searching around and it seems they're also getting rid of IAH-ACT, IAH-AVL and IAH-GSO beginning at the end of summer. Any guesses on more cuts?

PlaneAdmirer

RE: UA IAH Pull Down Begins In Earnest

Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:21 pm

Waco, Ashville, & Greensboro cuts from IAH mean that UA is pulling back from IAH in earnest???

Maybe it's better to serve CDG from EWR and Dulles. As for Waco, Ashville, and Greensboro it may be more economic to serve them from elsewhere though Waco is unlikely in that regard or not at all.

When they cut 50 or 100 flights a day from IAH that will be in "earnest."

CALMSP

Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:23 pm

BPT is also gone...........although that, along with VCT & ACT were due to the props being removed and the RJ's to expensive to operate in these small cities.

Rdh3e

Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:29 pm

Quoting PlaneAdmirer (Reply 1):
When they cut 50 or 100 flights a day from IAH that will be in "earnest."

I'm not sure why you think they need to cut 1/6 of their schedule for that to be an earnest pull down. They announced 10% reduction, and this starts getting it there. Between the routes I mentioned that is 7 daily departures, across 5 destinations that will no longer (or never started) be served.

BPT was/is also 3x daily, so if you include that it's 10 daily flights to 6 destinations that have been eliminated.

johnyv

Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:36 pm

How does Merida, Yucatan do for them? Will they keep them? 1 flight a day but about the only one (and definitely the only one on a US carrier) to the USA!

peanuts

Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:39 pm

I don't believe it's a pulldown. Just merger related efficiencies.
It only makes sense. No panic please.
CLE would be a different story though. In due time.

Also: DL is not as crazy as many would make you believe on a.net. DL has cut many routes. For a reason. In order for UA to stay competitive and stay sharp, they have to do the same.
Gone are the days of having planes fly everywhere with lower yields/LF's.

[Edited 2012-06-29 07:46:33]

LOWS

Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:45 pm

Gott im Himmel, really?! Earnest!?

I will gladly concede that not everything about the new UA is perfect. Even also that Smisek has screwed up. A lot.

But to suggest that a few minor cities that are losing service because 9L is being shutdown, that's absolutely insane. Oh, and CDG. Because That's UA's best placed hub for transatlantic service.  

STT757

Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:50 pm

When IAH is no longer UA's largest hub then it's time to start talking about draw downs, but, correct me if I'm wrong, even with these latest cuts IAH will still be UA's largest hub. As folks have already mentioned there's more to the carrier now then EWR and IAH, there are some places where IAH will grow ( 767s on IAH-LIM) and some places where they will right size.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

blueflyer

Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:54 pm

Quoting RDH3E (Reply 3):
They announced 10% reduction

The announcement was (political) theater related to international expansion at HOU. CO always cut capacity by around 10% between summer and fall. The only difference this time is that they have announced it, as opposed to just doing it quietly in years past.

CDG is probably saturated from the US, it has reportedly low yields for everyone but DL.

I'd wait for further evidence before pronouncing the death of IAH.

Besides, drawing down IAH too much would be stupid. It would leave UA as the only major carrier without a hub that is immune to winter schedule-wreaking havoc-creating weather.
Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has no clothes.

planespotting

Quoting RDH3E (Thread starter):
IAH-AVL and IAH-GSO

Like I always say, as routes to Ashevile and Greensboro go, so goes the rest of the hub ...

Do you like movies about gladiators?

IrishAyes

Look, the changes that will take place at IAH are nothing earth-shattering. Airlines need to evolve in midst of difficult circumstances. Given oil prices, the economic situation in Europe, etc. etc, United simply is re-defining the role that IAH is playing in their network. As a mid-continent hub located relatively "South," IAH is well suited for East-West traffic flows across the U.S. and is, and will always be, UA's primary gateway between the Americas. It is NOT designed to be the European TATL gateway, nor the TPAC gateway.

Routes like CDG are tourist-driven and low-yielding. AKL made sense for PMCO when times were very, very different. The merger synergies completely altered the business case for IAHAKL and UA was clearly looking for an excuse to pull the plug on that one, and so they found it.

Much like DFW, IAH will retain a few token routes that can support traffic to places like NRT, LHR, and AMS as well as a few key Star Alliance hubs, but beyond that UA isn't going to transform it into an all-out mega intercontinental gateway. In a few months this will all be old news.
confidence is silent. insecurities are loud.

Rdh3e

Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:56 pm

Quoting blueflyer (Reply 8):
I'd wait for further evidence before pronouncing the death of IAH.
Quoting planespotting (Reply 9):
Like I always say, as routes to Ashevile and Greensboro go, so goes the rest of the hub ...

No one is pronouncing the death of IAH. I'm simply stating a fact, that they've now announced about a 2% reduction in daily departures (not sure about ASMs) and that it plays along with the announced 10% reduction. I'm not speculating on the reasons for the reduction, just stating a fact.

airbazar

Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:04 pm

I bet the IAH-CDG suffered with the start of IAH-LOS. It sucks for people who want to travel between CDG and IAH on UA, but everyone else has plenty of other choices for connections. AKL never made any sense under the new UA, anyway.

tommy767

Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:14 pm

False. There is no pull down for IAH -- you PMCO people are imagining and smoking too much of the "wacky tabacci"
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

william

Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:20 pm

Where have you seen Waco is loosing service? Its not on any of the local news sites.

Rdh3e

Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:22 pm

Quoting william (Reply 14):
Where have you seen Waco is loosing service? Its not on any of the local news sites.

Search United.com for Sept 5th onward. No more UA service.

ScottB

Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:40 pm

Quoting IrishAyes (Reply 10):
Routes like CDG are tourist-driven and low-yielding.

IAH-CDG is not necessarily tourist-driven, with Total's global headquarters near Paris and U.S. headquarters in Houston. Then again, AF probably has this contract.

IrishAyes

Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:42 pm

Quoting ScottB (Reply 16):
IAH-CDG is not necessarily tourist-driven, with Total's global headquarters near Paris and U.S. headquarters in Houston. Then again, AF probably has this contract.

It is definitely more tourism-driven when compared to other European cities (LHR, FRA, BRU, AMS etc) served from the US. It's why noticeably capacity to CDG becomes much more constrained during the winter seasons.
confidence is silent. insecurities are loud.

ScottB

Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:31 pm

Quoting IrishAyes (Reply 17):
It is definitely more tourism-driven when compared to other European cities (LHR, FRA, BRU, AMS etc) served from the US.

CDG may be more tourism-driven in the aggregate, but IAH-CDG has a heavy business component; that's why AF sends an aircraft with an F cabin to IAH, even though IAH is a Star hub. ORD only sees a business cabin from AF.

yellowtail

Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:31 pm

Quoting johnyv (Reply 4):
How does Merida, Yucatan do for them? Will they keep them? 1 flight a day but about the only one (and definitely the only one on a US carrier) to the USA!

IAH-MID has been around for at least 15 years....at one point in the early years it was IAH-MID-BZE (with traffic rights), so if they haven't pulled out by now, i would think it is profitable.

DL tried MID ( I think AA did too) and failed.
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

enilria

Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:47 pm

Quoting RDH3E (Thread starter):
I've been searching around and it seems they're also getting rid of IAH-ACT, IAH-AVL and IAH-GSO beginning at the end of summer. Any guesses on more cuts?

DL has dropped ATL-MSL. I wonder if they are closing their ATL hub?????? :p

IAH-GSO is a seasonal route in terms of traffic. That means nothing. ACT and AVL are very small markets. They were questionable to begin with. I also think AKL-IAH was always stupid. There was no local market at all. If they dropped IAH-LOS I'd be more surprised with the oil business on that flight.

IAH-CDG is kind of surprising. I guess I'd say it is similar to why they didn't fly DEN-NRT until DEN gave them a massive pile of gold. There were better gateways in between.

I think that the overall plan of punishing IAH is childish and the routes being slashed have nothing to do with Mexico where WN will fly in many years when it is all finished. I think most of this stuff they are cutting was going to be cut anyway, but I do think that they are being more aggressive about not letting things that aren't going well play out because of their crazy anger.

By comparison, perhaps the City of Houston should have introduced a curfew at IAH after they moved the HQ to Chicago. That would be about the same level of childishness.

citationjet

Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:48 pm

Wow, that Southwest international service sometime in the future from Hobby is already taking a toll on UA.  
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,737,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773.

FlyingSicilian

Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:08 pm

Most of the IAH cuts have been in terms of freq. cuts look at the OAG postings. Many a city is losing one daily flight (sans MAF which was increased....OIL?)

CDG cuts is not great for me (I fly it several times a year) but I am happy to still have the AF option non-stop. I always prefer non-stop in my business.

I am also not happy with the Toluca cut as I much prefered it to MEX.

In terms of what has been announced or loaded we are probably close to 8% now. Only a few more to go.
The prop flying is a different animal. Victoria was subsidized and they can drive to other aiports (SAT, HOU). BPT is a little surprising.

I am curious as to what will happen with Del Rio. That service has been popular, even with props.
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

mogandoCI

Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:11 pm

All these cuts in rapid succession prove one thing - SMI/J doesn't bluff. He WILL retaliate.

Small communities lose access, IAH lose connectivity, and the city of Houston loses tax revenue. The only winner is UA's income statement.

Rdh3e

Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:23 pm

Quoting Enilria (Reply 20):
I think that the overall plan of punishing IAH is childish and the routes being slashed have nothing to do with Mexico where WN will fly in many years when it is all finished. I think most of this stuff they are cutting was going to be cut anyway, but I do think that they are being more aggressive about not letting things that aren't going well play out because of their crazy anger.
Quoting mogandoCI (Reply 23):
All these cuts in rapid succession prove one thing - SMI/J doesn't bluff. He WILL retaliate.

Enrilia, you are absolutely right that these cuts were probably going to happen no matter what. The HOU debacle just gave UA cover under which to cut and have it look (see Mogando's post) like Smisek was playing hardball. But to anyone paying attention they are really just pruning unprofitable flying with the added bonus of seeming to apply political pressure. This is not retaliation for anything, Smisek isn't stupid, he knows he needs the city of Houston and won't do anything to jeopordize that.

STT757

Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:47 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 19):
IAH-MID has been around for at least 15 years....at one point in the early years it was IAH-MID-BZE (with traffic rights), so if they haven't pulled out by now, i would think it is profitable.

Earlier than that, 1990.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

klwright69

Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:03 pm

Quoting airbazar (Reply 12):
I bet the IAH-CDG suffered with the start of IAH-LOS.

Why is this?

Quoting PlaneAdmirer (Reply 1):
Waco, Ashville, & Greensboro cuts from IAH mean that UA is pulling back from IAH in earnest???

Aw, you guys take this forum so seriously. No one visiting this forum would ever say this is a draw down. I think the thread was headlined this way to get a lively discussion started. I think we can give it a rest.

EA CO AS

Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:11 pm

What an overly sensationalist thread title!   

In earnest? Seriously?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

TWA772LR

Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:09 pm

It's all becuase Southwest is flying to MEX from HOU-LAS-MSY-BOS-CRP-HOU-MEX with 73G's!!! 
Beauty is watching a 787 bank to make a short final. Bliss is watching that 787 with a good beer. Nirvana is all of that with a beautiful woman on your side.

N766UA

Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:20 pm

Quoting peanuts (Reply 5):
CLE would be a different story though. In due time.

Says you.
This Website Censors Me

drerx7

Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:26 pm

Quoting RDH3E (Reply 11):
that they've now announced about a 2% reduction in daily departures (not sure about ASMs) and that it plays along with the announced 10% reduction. I'm not speculating on the reasons for the reduction, just stating a fact.

This happens annually.

Quoting ScottB (Reply 16):
Then again, AF probably has this contract.

They do...

Quoting FlyingSicilian (Reply 22):
Most of the IAH cuts have been in terms of freq. cuts look at the OAG postings. Many a city is losing one daily flight (sans MAF which was increased....OIL?)

Again, happens every year.

Lip service...

and the city of Houston loses tax revenue.

In return we get ample revenue from WN and international ops.

Quoting RDH3E (Reply 24):
But to anyone paying attention they are really just pruning unprofitable flying with the added bonus of seeming to apply political pressure.

Yep.

Quoting RDH3E (Reply 24):
This is not retaliation for anything, Smisek isn't stupid, he knows he needs the city of Houston and won't do anything to jeopordize that.

Agreed

Quoting klwright69 (Reply 26):
Why is this?

Cause alot of traffic transfers to Africa via CDG and other Euro stations.
Third Coast born, means I'm Texas raised

DeltaMD90

Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:28 pm

Well with hubs in SFO/LAX and EWR/IAD, I would suspect some trans-Pacific and trans-Atlantic routes to be shifted away from IAH... as for GSO and AVL, cities disappear all the time! Even DL routes from ATL sometimes go away... I don't see ATL going anywhere.

Don't we have threads about EWR and IAD's demise going around too? Seems like UA is shutting down everywhere!
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

readytotaxi

Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:32 pm

Quoting drerx7 (Reply 30):

Hey, Happy Birthday Drerx, 12yrs old today. 
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!

FlyingSicilian

Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:37 pm

Again, happens every year.

Not at this level. This year's are larger. Which makes sense with UA "right sizing".
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

kgaiflyer

Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:50 pm

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 13):
you PMCO people are imagining and smoking too much of the "wacky tabacci"

Geez o' goshen -- I haven't heard that expression since I was a puppy (I'm 69) .

Back on topic, those flights all depart the B Terminal. And any cuts that will allow IAH to eventually tear down that monstrosity know as "Gate 84" ( I think it's 84-A to 84-S now? ) can only be a good thing.

drerx7

Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:59 pm

Quoting readytotaxi (Reply 32):
Hey, Happy Birthday Drerx, 12yrs old today.

Thanks!!! I hadn't realized its been that long.

Quoting FlyingSicilian (Reply 33):
Not at this level. This year's are larger. Which makes sense with UA "right sizing".

True. I wonder what the real capacity change is seeing as there has been a general upgauge of aircraft at IAH.

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 34):
ack on topic, those flights all depart the B Terminal. And any cuts that will allow IAH to eventually tear down that monstrosity know as "Gate 84" ( I think it's 84-A to 84-S now? ) can only be a good thing.

Yes! Unfortunately, the Smiseking puts in jeopardy the second phase which addresses the north side of B. I'm sure 84 will be closed as soon as the South Concourse is done.

point2point

Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:01 pm

Not only will the almighty Smisek use all of UAs resources to punish IAH because he didn't get his way there, but now is he conjuring up the alliance partners to help him?

In an article published at CAPA, it seems that now NZ (per Smisek's request maybe?) is stating that they are looking for U.S. locations for their 787s....... and now DEN is a possibility along with IAH.....

http://www.centreforaviation.com/ana...line-eyes-asia-and-us-growth-76299

Boy, the City of Houston better do what JS wants next time, eh?

Wow!

[Edited 2012-06-29 13:03:44]

cat3dual

Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:11 pm

The sky is falling in Houston.

[Edited 2012-06-29 13:21:17]

kgaiflyer

Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:15 pm

Cause alot of traffic transfers to Africa via CDG and other Euro stations.

Since the diaspora of Mali, the Central African Republic, Togo, Cameroon, and the Gambia seem to be centered around DC and Baltimore, Air France has always been successful out of IAD.

But then, think about it. sUA's IAH-LOS is successful for pretty much the same reasons.

TWA772LR

Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:40 pm

Geeeeez people... IAH can support a little more than JUST oil traffic... I'm sure IAH-CDG will pop back up when UA gets the 787. I think, since it's apparently bleeding money, it should just be downgraded to a sUA 763. Paris is a huge leisure destination for Americans and not everyone is willing to take a longer connecting, from, lets say CRP, flight to IAH then on to ORD, IAD, EWR, etc... to connect to CDG.
Beauty is watching a 787 bank to make a short final. Bliss is watching that 787 with a good beer. Nirvana is all of that with a beautiful woman on your side.

drerx7

Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:05 pm

Quoting point2point (Reply 36):
In an article published at CAPA, it seems that now NZ (per Smisek's request maybe?) is stating that they are looking for U.S. locations for their 787s....... and now DEN is a possibility along with IAH.....

Well...if its an either or thing I suspect IAH...or better yet...3 x AKL-DEN and 4 x AKL-IAH a week. It really underscores what all of us have been speculating in regards to IAH-AKL.

Boy, the City of Houston better do what JS wants next time, eh?

Ha...it'll be a good ole fashion shootout at the OK Corral next time...my money is on Houston.

Not only will the almighty Smisek use all of UAs resources to punish IAH because he didn't get his way there, but now is he conjuring up the alliance partners to help him?

How did you get that from that article...lol

In the meantime, LH is planning on using the A380 here year-round - the only U.S. station to have yr round whale jet from LH.
http://investing.businessweek.com/re...gesymbol%7C%7CUS;LUV&ticker=LUV:US

peanuts

Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:07 pm

Quoting N766UA (Reply 29):
Says you.

Yes. says me.
And if UA can't decide on it, the New AA and DL will do it for them  

point2point

Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:39 pm

Quoting drerx7 (Reply 40):
In the meantime, LH is planning on using the A380 here year-round - the only U.S. station to have yr round whale jet from LH.

I thought that SFO had the whale jet also?

At any rate, I don't think the almighty Smisek talked to LH yet about his Houston problem....... so who knows, maybe when he gets through with them, the LH direct flight IAH-FRA will be a 50 seater, with fuel stops in LHY, PVM,YQY, KUS, RKV, ABZ, and finally FRA. And if you don't like that Houston...... they'll cancel IAH-FRA altogether......

So now...... are you going to be good little airport now Houston and do what we tell you to do.....?

[Edited 2012-06-29 14:41:55]

AVLAirlineFreq

Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:02 pm

ACT and AVL are very small markets. They were questionable to begin with.

I personally think it sucks.   

IAH-AVL has been around for 9 or 10 years. I'm personally sorry to see it end, as I used it as a nice connection to the Texas, the West Coast and Latin America. UA/CO has done well in AVL despite a limited presence. Hopefully we'll see it again next summer.

yellowtail

Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:06 pm

Quoting drerx7 (Reply 40):
Well...if its an either or thing I suspect IAH...or better yet...3 x AKL-DEN and 4 x AKL-IAH a week. It really underscores what all of us have been speculating in regards to IAH-AKL.

Yeah, that UA wanted off its commitment and that NZ was a less that willing partner to support the route.
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

FlyingSicilian

Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:18 pm

Quoting drerx7 (Reply 35):
True. I wonder what the real capacity change is seeing as there has been a general upgauge of aircraft at IAH.

Good question.

Digging at HAS website gives some numbers on years past but the not the UA cost metrics. I have some sources at UA but it takes time to find out

cjpark

Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:43 am

Finally!

A city finally faces the music for buying into the MYTH.
"Any airline that wants to serve the [region] can go to DFW today and fly anywhere they want," WN spokesman Ed Stewart

ABQopsHP

Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:30 am

Quoting FlyingSicilian (Reply 22):
The prop flying is a different animal. Victoria was subsidized and they can drive to other aiports (SAT, HOU). BPT is a little surprising.

Just flew IAH-VCT today, 29Jun. On arrival, my parents told me they heard that 30Jun is the last day for service into VCT. Service into VCT has been slim for quite some time, since its midway between IAH/HOU and CRP people have the choice of driving to IAH/HOU as you said. I work in CRP and once in a great while we will see someone from VCT who drives down here to take a flight. The reason I flew into VCT today, was all the flights on Expressjet to CRP where full or weight restricted, and I couldnt be bothered with wondering if I would get a seat on any of the flights. My flight from IAH VCT only had me and 9 other pax. Going back out they had approx 20 on that afternoon return flight to IAH.

JD CRP Exjet
ABQ ops, Cactus 202 requesting you order 5 Green Chile Chicken stew for us to p/u on arrival. ;)

strfyr51

Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:32 am

Where do you get this "punishing" stuff?? Nobody is "punishing" Anybody!! This is Business.!! Punishing, is how the City of Houston whined about the Network Control Center and the Corporate hub being in Chicago.. When Jeff KNEW that was a condition of the MERGER!! Now THAT was Punishing!!
IAH is still going to be the prime hub for East-West connections in the winter, the Prime hub for South America, and a prime Domestic Hub with interntional departures and arrivals. But IAH is no better than ORD, DEN, SFO, LAX, CLE, EWR, IAD, HNL or NRT. It deserves no more favor other than the JOB it's assigned to do. So what?? Next we should go around and close all the OTHER hub Cities so IAH and Houston might Feel Better??
That's Stupid and you KNOW it!! Houston needs to understand, The merger is ON. This isn't Our way or Your way. They don't GET to call any shots.. And as far as Denver paying UAL any money at all?? That's Bunk!! Denver was so IMPORTANT to UAL that we floated over $100M in Bonds until the new DIA was up and running Right after CAL jumped Ship on them. Remember THAT?? This was less than 2 years AFTER we built a Brand New Terminal at Stapleton.. You have to belittle another town to make your town Better?? That's wrong and Sad, We have a DAMN LOT of history in Denver, and we're staying THERE TOO!!

FlyingSicilian

Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:23 am

Quoting cjpark (Reply 46):
Finally!

A city finally faces the music for buying into the MYTH.

This wins the award for the most fecklessly inane post for the month of June on A.net, congrats.

IAH isn't facing anything other than its seasonal drawdown and right sizing by UA because of the merger. It is not that hard to figure out. Not to mention the previously announced removal of prop flying at IAH.

TK is starting non-stop to Houston not exactly punishment. I'll take service to Istanbul over Waco any day. Plus service increases by US Air and DL and upgauged (many 757s) service at IAH on UA!

Do you really think losing Waco and Victoria is facing the music?