Italianflyer

Rough Ride Out Of EZE

Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:57 pm

Messing around on the Tube and stumbled on this....a BA 777 from EZE to LHR on 17 June getting smacked around appox over the Brazil border. Check out the pitch and yawing about 5 min into the vid...just watching it made me kinda queasy lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UO-wYpNN0s

BDABOY

RE: Rough Ride Out Of EZE

Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:52 pm

That's pretty nasty stuff!! I do like a bit of excitement on those long flights though  

MadameConcorde

Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:03 pm

Best thing to do in such case is to sit tight and tied up and wait until it passes.

I've been in turbulence like this more than once. I try to have no liquids or foods anywhere near me. The worse is up front even with the F seat it will be heavy shaking and down in the back too.

This is where it's nice to be in a A380 with the massive wings than on a "lighter" frame. From experience I find they take heavy turbulence rather well.

There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

johruk

Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:01 pm

It looks bad, but I have to wonder just how bad it was....I HATE turbulence and have been in some pretty bad stuff, but I wonder looking at the guy in row in front he seems to be moving around, taking his jacket off etc without punching the guy next to him! Could there be a lot of extra camera movement? If it was so bad I would have thought any movement would have been a bit more difficult if it was so bad....just my own view and glad I was not on that flight! And maybe difficult to tell but there does not seem to be a huge amount of Wing flex....but like I say might just be me!

cedarjet

Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:19 pm

It's hard to tell how bad it is. Obviously some bumps and cabin crew are sat down but doesn't look toooo bad. I love turbulence. The more the better. In smooth air, there is no sense of the aircraft's speed but you can infer a sense of how fast you're going when you hit a few bumps. Thanks for sharing this video.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

viasamsy

Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:16 pm

The palm of my hands and feet became all sweaty when I watched this.
I had been in turbulence like it flying on a Delta E175 for almost 45 minutes and as much as I like flying it was a borderline terrifying experience.
Rebuild New Orleans!!!

windowflyer

Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:28 pm

Definitely would not say the more the better, but I too enjoy a little rough patch now and then. It gives you a better sense of situation I find, and a deeper awareness / appreciation of flight in general.

That being said, I have 14 flight segments coming up this August and would definitely not enjoy anything as bad as that.
A-300,319,320,321,330,340,380. B-727,737,747,757,767,777,787. L-1011,DC8,DC9,MD80,CRJ,Dash-8,YS-11,HS-748,Concorde

aerdingus

Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:15 pm

Wow, shaky!! I do like the odd bit of turbulence, as a passenger & when working. In the back of a BA 744 once I was really being bumped around, & in work I felt meself lift off the jumpseat & I'm not the smallest gal. One day I am waiting for that scary unexpected turbulence   

[Edited 2012-06-30 16:17:26]
2016: BHX GLA KIR LCY LGW MUC VIE BA EI FR LH OS A320 A321 ATR 42 ATR 72 B738 E190 E195

Phen

Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:13 am

Wow that looks quite bad, I would be a nervous wreck in that situation despite my love of flying. What gets me is the screaming of other passengers. I think being on a flight like that at night is something I would really not enjoy.

Quoting aerdingus (Reply 7):
In the back of a BA 744 once I was really being bumped around

Yes indeed I was at the back of a BA 777 not long ago and was surprised at how uncomfortable it was - for the whole TA crossing we were tossed around- it seems to me that the aft of a 777 is noticably more bumpy than other types, but I may not be seasoned enough to make that judgement!

Italianflyer

Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:18 am

It does not really get interesting until about 5 minutes into the video. The very audible sounds of galley equipment crashing, some startled screaming and OHB contents slamming tells me it was pretty bad. The video poster said that once then landed in LHR, the Capt. apologized for the discomfort...and admitted in his 30something years of flying, that was the worst.

CZ346

Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:56 am

Quoting windowflyer (Reply 6):
That being said, I have 14 flight segments coming up this August and would definitely not enjoy anything as bad as that.

I totally agree. I was on a leg from HKG to EWR earlier this year that took off and was very smooth for about an hour, and all of a sudden hit some turbulence around Taiwan that rivaled this, and maintained a pretty bad degree until we got near the Kamchatka Peninsula. It got a little better, but still bad all the way till we were over Calgary. Nobody could get ANY sleep. I like turbulence, but on a 15 hour flight I also enjoy sleep...

NorthstarBoy

Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:53 am

Quoting johruk (Reply 3):
It looks bad, but I have to wonder just how bad it was....I HATE turbulence and have been in some pretty bad stuff, but I wonder looking at the guy in row in front he seems to be moving around, taking his jacket off etc without punching the guy next to him! Could there be a lot of extra camera movement? If it was so bad I would have thought any movement would have been a bit more difficult if it was so bad....just my own view and glad I was not on that flight! And maybe difficult to tell but there does not seem to be a huge amount of Wing flex....but like I say might just be me!

it's not just you. The movement of the camera seemed really exaggerated to me. He kept trying to stand up, but the plane was obviously being thrown around enough that he couldn't keep the camera straight. It actually became hard to watch the way he was swinging the camera around wildly. Having watched the video, i'm glad i wasn't on that flight. Like Phen, I'd have been a nervous wreck. That being said, I'd have been very glad to be on a 777, i'd be wishing I was on a 747-400 and i'd be thankful I wasnt on one of the numerous 737-800s and A320s that probably traverse that route on a daily basis. if it was that bad for a 777, i cant imagine what it'd be like flying through that on something 1/4 the 777's size.
Yes, I'd like to see airbus go under so Boeing can have their customers!

Milesdependent

Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:37 am

Interesting to note if you read the comments, that the pilot stated after landing at LHR that it was the owrst he had experienced in over 30 years...

EK413

Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:04 am

Nasty indeed... I've experienced my fair share of turbulence during my trips and that certainly beats it....

I've seen a video which states the aircraft hardly moves during turbulence and as an experiment place a glass of water on your meal tray...

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

earlynff

Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:08 pm

I remember a situation like this on a North Atlantic track, eastbound. It continued for almost an hour, no way out of it.
Traffic left and right, above and below.
From what I´ve seen here, I would say very uncomfortable, but not yet SEVERE turbulence.

As I saw on the IFE, the flight was in the vicinity of Iguassu Falls, more or less. Reason for that turb was most probably so called lee waves. They are generated when strong winds are disturbed by high mountains, here the case with the Andes. You can have it even hundreds of miles beyond the place of origin.

I encountered real severe turb only once, in a 40+year career. Of course, over the Andes, on a leg SCL-EZE. The inbound leg from EZE was quite smooth, flying abeam Aconcagua. The return was via the southerly route, over volcano Maipó.The aircraft being very light for a 2h light, we had crossed 35000ft already with a good ROC, when, all of sudden, we got a punch like Muhammad Ali hit your stomach, in his best years. Thereafter, speeds and attitudes out of limits. We could hardly read the instruments, and hardly get the hand on the throttle. Even with idle power, the plane would hardly descent, so we were in an extreme updraft. (happy glider flying!) When we got out of that updraft, speed dropped so dramatically that we had to add thrust, even with a 15° nose down attitude. Eventually we managed to get to FL 330, were we could continue normally.

Crossing the Andes is nice to see, but always be careful!

stratosphere

Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:19 am

I would have to say I would hate to be on a ride like that although I was once. But early NFF is right that is no where near severe that is moderate to heavy moderate. Although it would be severe to me since I really do not have the love of a rough ride like others on here. If that was the worst ride that captain had in 30 years he was pretty lucky. Even though true severe is rare most airline captains that have that much time have usually encountered severe at least once especially those who fly in the mountainous regions on a regular basis.

FoxBravo

Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:24 pm

Quoting MilesDependent (Reply 12):
Interesting to note if you read the comments, that the pilot stated after landing at LHR that it was the owrst he had experienced in over 30 years...

Yep--in fact, if you turn up the volume at the very end of the video, starting around 8:00, you can hear an announcement from the captain saying it was "about as bad as we've ever seen."

Yikes--when you hear that from an experienced flight crew you know it's pretty serious!
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

willd

Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:20 pm

Quoting FoxBravo (Reply 16):
Yep--in fact, if you turn up the volume at the very end of the video, starting around 8:00, you can hear an announcement from the captain saying it was "about as bad as we've ever seen."

Indeed I heard that also. What surprised me was how quickly it seemed to stop.

I love flying but do not like turbulence. Worst flight had to be on DL1 to LGW ex ATL back in around 2007 on a 764, in fact IIRC the first fitted with AVOD, flight deck crew again commented on how it was the worst they had experienced. Not nice at all, and as someone pointed out, heavy rough air in the dark is not great!

Rdh3e

Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:36 pm

Quoting johruk (Reply 3):
Could there be a lot of extra camera movement?

Definitely seems that way, i think if you want to video turbulence you need to pin the camera to something (top of the seat) and have the moving bodies and sounds illustrate the force.

Quoting NorthstarBoy (Reply 11):
and i'd be thankful I wasnt on one of the numerous 737-800s and A320s that probably traverse that route on a daily basi

Surely no one flies a 738 on this 6900mi sector. Or were you referring to a different route? Looking at Kayak.com I only see the BA 777.

Type-Rated

Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:42 pm

Usually Youtube videos have titles like "Worst Turbulence EVER!" and all they contain are a few small bounces here and there.

This one really shows how bouncy turbulence can be! I liked the part where the guy doing the filming shows himself tightening his seat belt. As for the screaming women on board..... it could have been much worse with food & drinks flying about.

Remember even though you may feel like you are on a roller coaster with stomach drops and all the plane is still flying. Don't worry until you see the wings fold upwards or downwards.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

Viscount724

Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:54 pm

Quoting RDH3E (Reply 18):
Quoting NorthstarBoy (Reply 11):
and i'd be thankful I wasnt on one of the numerous 737-800s and A320s that probably traverse that route on a daily basi

Surely no one flies a 738 on this 6900mi sector. Or were you referring to a different route? Looking at Kayak.com I only see the BA 777.

The flight was over land near the Brazilian border at the time according to the OP. There are probably dozens of 738s and A320s flying in the same airspace at similar altitudes every day.

EK413

Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:55 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 20):
The flight was over land near the Brazilian border at the time according to the OP. There are probably dozens of 738s and A320s flying in the same airspace at similar altitudes every day.

I wouldn't wanna be on a B737 or A320 considering the turbulence experienced in the video was onboard a B777!

EK413

Italianflyer

Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:47 am

Quoting EK413 (Reply 13):
I've seen a video which states the aircraft hardly moves during turbulence and as an experiment place a glass of water on your meal tray...

Hmmmm.....see how well that worked out here....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB71t0-xAFY&feature=related

haggisman

Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:17 am

Ok Zeke

Have you experienced this or worse in your flying career, and how would you classify the degree of turbulence?  

Thanks

Scotty
e pluribus Scotsman

Type-Rated

Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:25 pm

Here is a turbulence tip.
If the flight gets bouncy and your drink is starting to slosh around in the cup, put the swizzle stick back in it. That'll prevent the drink from leaving the cup. That is of course if the entire cup doesn't depart for the ceiling!

spacecadet

Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:25 am

I absolutely hate turbulence and this is definitely one of the worst videos I've seen of it (because most of them are utterly tame), but I still don't feel like this is all *that* bad - I'm sure a lot of people would say this, but I feel like I've gone through worse. I didn't see a lot of wing flex and I only saw minor corrections from the ailerons in the wing views, and look at the woman across and one row up from the camera guy - she had a cup of orange juice just sitting on her tray table all the way through this. I have been through turbulence where that would *clearly* have been impossible.

I definitely wouldn't have wanted to be on this flight, but I do think there's some extra camera movement going on here that makes it seem worse than it was. Those "pitch and yaw" movements the OP talked about at around 5:00 look clearly like camera movements to me, for just one example. And when a plane's bouncing around and you're holding your camera up over your head, it's very difficult to keep it steady at all. Go ride a bus or train sometime and try that - you're going to wonder how you didn't die when you watch the footage later.

Quoting FoxBravo (Reply 16):

That could mean a lot of things, though. It doesn't mean it's the worst *he* has ever personally seen, and the modifier "about" means "it's up there, but not quite #1" anyway. I think what he's saying is that it's probably the worst he's flown through on this route (that's where the "we" comes in), and who knows how long he's been flying with that route or crew.

Anyway I'm sure it was no fun, but I'm still searching for the elusive "severe turbulence" on video... I flew once through turbulence that the pilot actually described that way, and I've kind of been curious to find some videos similar to that experience ever since. But I never have.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

AR385

Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:56 am

Quoting earlyNFF (Reply 14):
I encountered real severe turb only once, in a 40+year career. Of course, over the Andes, on a leg SCL-EZE. The inbound leg from EZE was quite smooth, flying abeam Aconcagua. The return was via the southerly route, over volcano Maipó.

The two worst times for me were both crossing or around the Andes.

1) AR 737-200 MDZ-AEP. Just 10 mins after takeoff the plane started pitching, rolling and yawing at the same time. I can´t state for certainty the bank angles, but at times they looked extreme to me. I do enjoy turbulence but I did not like this one. The lady next to me unfastened her seatbelt to grab something from her purse and she hit her head in the ceiling. What gave me the final clue this was really bad, was that people started to vomit and after a while the entire plane reeked of it. When it calmed down, the FAs got up and started distributing cokes all around pretty quickly, from trays, not the carts and picking up the (pretty full) airsickness bags.

2) AR 747-200 LIM-EZE. We were crossing the Andes around the Antofagasta region and the plane just started shaking around pretty badly. The Captain ordered the Cabin Crew to sit down. It wasn´t as bad (although it was bad) as the fact that it did not end until we landed at EZE. It was just endless. There was no breakfast service as the Captain did not let anybody get up.

I agree. Crossing the Andes by air is a once in a lifetime experience, especially in winter, but the turbulence can be quite bad.

AngMoh

Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:50 am

The worst I had was in Australia flying from PER to ADL. It was extremely hot, but overnight a cold front had rolled in.

During the flight, the captain announced that "there is a thunderstorm front ahead of us and we can not go around it nor over it so we have to go through it and it will be a bit scary". The crew started to clear the cabin, and put all seats upright and tray tables in and went to sit down. The ride was violent and it would have been absolutely impossible to make a video recording with a cell phone if they had been available at that time. The amazing thing was that the transition from severe turbulence to silky smooth flight was near instant once we passed the border between cold air at the westerly side of the front and hot air easterly side.

Based on that experience, I don't think it is possible to record severe turbulence with a camera phone.
727 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 739ER 742 743 744 752 762 772 773 77W A300 A310 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 A345 A346 A359 A388 DC-9 DC-10 MD11 MD81 MD82 MD87 F70 ERJ145 E175 E190 E195 ATR72 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 BAE146 RJ85

EK413

Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:15 pm

Quoting ItalianFlyer (Reply 22):
Hmmmm.....see how well that worked out here....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB71t...lated

Cheers... I based my quote on what I read / watched on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Gao3SIT3IY at about 3mins 15secs

The passenger's in that link you shared certainly seem like they just saw a ghost and every right...

EK413

[Edited 2012-07-04 08:19:54]

yellowtail

Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:22 pm

Quoting type-rated (Reply 24):
If the flight gets bouncy and your drink is starting to slosh around in the cup, put the swizzle stick back in it. That'll prevent the drink from leaving the cup. That is of course if the entire cup doesn't depart for the ceiling!

Now please explain the swizzle stick physics to me?
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

Type-Rated

Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:13 pm

I don't know the physics behind it but it works.

I found this out one morning carrying a very full cup of hot coffee to my chair in the lounge. The coffee was drizzling down the side of the cup and onto the floor. A co worker told me to put a spoon in the cup before walking with it. It'll keep the coffee from dripping out of the cup. I tried it and it worked!

So the next time I flew we had that minor kind of chop where you feel like the plane is riding on a gravel road. My drink was sloshing a little bit over the edge of my cup. I put the swizzle stick back in the cup and no more dripping over the edge of the cup.

I think what happens is that the force that would be used to put the liquid over the edges of the cup is instead dispersed through the spoon or swizzle stick as the stick or spoon will move around, but with no dripping.

Now this will only work for so long until the turbulence overpowers the ability for the liquid to stay in the cup.

Try it, it works!

yellowtail

Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:25 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 29):
Now please explain the swizzle stick physics to me?

Never too old to learn
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

EK413

Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:21 am

Quoting type-rated (Reply 30):

Thanks for sharing your experiment with us... I'll test it next time make a cuppa coffee...

EK413

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos