evanbu
Topic Author

UA DSM-IAH Mainline On 7/1?!

Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:20 am

Is this an error? I see that on 7/1, UA is operating DSM-IAH on an A-319 for flight 530. If this is true, that would be the first time that I can recall that mainline has EVER operated DSM-IAH. Is this just a one time deal or is it something seasonal?

FlyASAGuy2005

RE: UA DSM-IAH Mainline On 7/1?!

Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:28 am

Quoting evanbu (Thread starter):
Is this an error? I see that on 7/1, UA is operating DSM-IAH on an A-319 for flight 530. If this is true, that would be the first time that I can recall that mainline has EVER operated DSM-IAH. Is this just a one time deal or is it something seasonal?

Traffic has really picked up at DSM. Last year saw the return of DL mainline using the 88. Was 1x daily during the summer then was suspended briefly for a few months then came back. This summer, came it's 2x daily MD88 and 1x CR9.

I can see UA beefing up capacity to match.
What gets measured gets done.

Thomas_Jaeger

Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:54 am

I just checked our schedules at ch-aviation and this seems to be the only flight for the entire future scheduled with an A319-100. All other flights right now are scheduled with Expressjet ERJ-145s and then from October 4 onwards the flight that night stops in DSM with a Skywest CRJ-200.
Swiss aviation news junkie living all over the place

drerx7

Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:12 pm

I've noticed a few of these odd 1 time mainline flights in and out of IAH. It got to be repositioning of some sort, getting a 319 into IAH or repositioning from a charter or something. There was the 1 time IAH-MCI 763 a couple of months ago.
Third Coast born, means I'm Texas raised

CIDFlyer

Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:47 pm

what's driving the mainline upgrades in DSM these days? AA to DFW has mainline now as well as DL to ATL. Is this pre-emptive for WN entering the market?

amccann

Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:08 pm

Quoting CIDFlyer (Reply 4):
what's driving the mainline upgrades in DSM these days? AA to DFW has mainline now as well as DL to ATL. Is this pre-emptive for WN entering the market?

I would imagine it is a combination of events causing mainline upgrades.

1/ Southwest Airlines entering the market causes the existing carriers to scramble and ensure it's customers remain loyal by offering better/more frequencies or better/larger airplanes.

2/ Des Moines is a relatively healthy business market. Since retiring the F100 American Airlines has not flown a single first class seat in to the Des Moines market and may be attempting to regain first class passengers with the MD-80.

3/ Since retiring the 737-300/-500 United Airlines has dramatically reduced it's mainline presence at Des Moines. It used to be rather common to see both a 737-300/-500 and a 757-200 at the gates. Des Moines has not, as far as I'm aware, decreased the number of annual passengers but the decrease in mainline service without increasing regional frequency to make up for the loss of seats has meant Des Moines has been under served for a number of years now.
What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. - Ronald Reagan

compensateme

Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:31 pm

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 1):

Traffic has really picked up at DSM. Last year saw the return of DL mainline using the 88. Was 1x daily during the summer then was suspended briefly for a few months then came back. This summer, came it's 2x daily MD88 and 1x CR9.

I can see UA beefing up capacity to match.

Says you! (   )

The upgauging of DSM/ATL is an example of DL leveraging traditional NW traffic flows via ATL. In other words, it’s not necessarily an illustration of a strengthening DSM market, but rather re-allocation of capacity.

[Edited 2012-07-01 13:37:36]
Gordo:like this streaming video,Sky magazine,meals for sale at mealtime-make customer satisfaction rank so high at UA

evanbu
Topic Author

Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:46 am

Quoting CIDFlyer (Reply 4):

How have the loads been on these mainline DL & AA flights?

planespotting

Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:39 pm

I also saw this flight over the weekend, but it seems like just a one-off/repositioning flight. I counted seats avail. on this flight via United.com and it looked like it was only going out about 50 percent full (I know that's not the best way to determine exact load factor, but there were plenty of seats avail at 5 p.m. the night before).

Quoting evanbu (Reply 7):
How have the loads been on these mainline DL & AA flights?

Anecdotal evidence suggests they've been awesome (not sure about yields).

At work, not a week goes by by that I don't hear multiple people complaining about how incredibly long the security line is between 5 and 8 a.m., which is the timeframe that A319 (DEN or ORD), MD-82 (DFW) and an MD-88 (ATL) depart, along with a number of CRJ/7/9 and a few 170/190s, depending on the time of year.

DSM is also adding a third security line that will be ready in the next week or two.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

CIDFlyer

Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:46 pm

FlyASAGuy2005

Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:58 am

Quoting CompensateMe (Reply 6):

That makes sense. In fact, you see this in a lot of NW "heavy" stations.
What gets measured gets done.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos