dizzyeight62
Topic Author

Stell Air DC-3 F-GEOM (C-47 Dakota)

Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:59 pm

I was sifting my through my airline safety card collection and came across an odd card. It is from a "Stell Air" DC-3. I know nothing about when, where, or how this card became part of my collection. The only reference I can find on the Net is a couple of pix of a Stell Air DC-3 with the French registration F-GEOM.

Does anybody know anything about Stell Air?

YVRLTN

RE: Stell Air DC-3 F-GEOM (C-47 Dakota)

Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:47 am

I vaguely remember them, think it was Stellair rather than Stell Air. I dont remember the DC3, but I do remember they had a Fairchild F27J as it used to visit Britain on rugby and other sports charters. While the Fokker was common at the time (Air UK & JEA pax users for starters) I remember it being special to see the Fairchild version. I think they did ad hoc ACMI charters.

They also had an F28-1000 leased from TAT for a year until they closed down in 1993. TAT was also Fairchild F27/FH227 operator, so that may have come from the same source. From a quick google search, they started ops in 1982, assume with the DC3. Dont quote me on this, but I think the airline restarted as Star Airlines (a sister company to Air Transat of Canada) before morphing into XL France. There was certainly a resemblance to the liveries too.

There are three photos of the Dak on this website.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Alphajet.jpb

View Large View Medium

Photo © Alphajet.jpb

View Large View Medium

Photo © Michel Gilliand

View Large View Medium

Photo © Pedro Aragão

View Large View Medium

Photo © Gary Watt

Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

KFlyer

RE: Stell Air DC-3 F-GEOM (C-47 Dakota)

Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:48 am

That livery is certainly very futuristic for its time!
The opinions above are solely my own and do not express those of my employers or clients.