ba286
Topic Author

New Search Underway For Amelia Earhart's Plane

Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:53 am

Stumbled across this while surfing the news. Interesting to see that some are still so passionate about finding the wreckage, even decades after the plane went down.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...-usa-earhart-idUSBRE8611FM20120703

What are the chances of finding that old Electra today, with modern technology available and involved?
E190 A318 A319 A320 A343 ATR42 717 732 733 734 735 737 738 744 752 772 DC-10 MD-11

71Zulu

New Search Underway For Amelia Earhart's Plane

Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:35 pm

http://youtu.be/ncxOjl69xn0

Dissapeared 75 years ago yesterday. Haven't heard about this possible landing gear part, exciting to see this new search and hopefully they will turn up something.
Clickable links only please!

canoecarrier

RE: New Search Underway For Amelia Earhart's Plane

Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:57 pm

Quoting ba286 (Thread starter):
What are the chances of finding that old Electra today, with modern technology available and involved?

The story behind her disappearance certainly is interesting. I've seen some of the interviews with the leader of this new expedition to find the wreckage. I'll be interested to see if he finds something, but I'm not holding my breath. He's supposedly dug up some period artifacts like an anti-acne bottle and some other items that date to the 30s. But, the worlds oceans are full of junk. You can go to nearly any island or beach in the world and find items from that time all the way up to today. I've been on islands in Alaska and found things from earlier than that.

Certainly they have more technology available today, most of it is on that boat, than any other expedition to find her plane. We'll see.

As a side note, I discovered that that area of the Pacific is popular with HAM radio operators because you can supposedly communicate with people nearly anywhere on the rest of the earth. That's why there is some credence to the possiblity of people hearing her radio calls well after the plane supposedly ran out of fuel.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

doulasc

Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:06 am

The question is Did Amelia's plane run out of fuel and crashed into the ocean? Did they make it to a Island? If the plane crashed into the ocean what are the chances of finding the plane that has been in salt water for 75 years? I hope some parts are found?

luckyone

Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:38 am

It's amazing how interested people still are in her case. I have two thoughts on the matter:

1. She was abducted by aliens.

2. She's under 20,000 of salt water.

September11

Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:53 am

I didn't know much about her until last month when I read a short story about her. I thought it didn't sound right when I read that her plane is still under water. Hope the plane will be located!
Airliners.net of the Future

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos