Topic Author

Qantas To Form Union With Qatar Airways

Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:35 am

I'm not sure how accurate this article is that appears in the Herald Sun:

- QR to offer flights via Qatar to European destinations
- QR flights will have the QF code
- QR services to Melbourne and Perth part of the agreement
- QR & EK will work with Qantas closely according to AAB

Source: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/business...rways/story-fn7j19iv-1226417059948

migair54

RE: Qantas To Form Union With Qatar Airways

Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:35 pm

Quoting MEA (Thread starter):

I highly doubt this.... EK just announce ADL and 3rd daily to PER so i don´t thing they need much the help of Qantas, Qatar is diffirent, they might codeshare to SYD, ADL, Brisbane and others via PER or MEL.

mikey72

Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:50 pm

Quoting MEA (Thread starter):
- QR to offer flights via Qatar to European destinations
- QR flights will have the QF code
- QR services to Melbourne and Perth part of the agreement

This is all going to start getting very interesting.
Flying is like sex - I've never had all I wanted but occasionally I've had all I can stand.

rutankrd

Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:39 pm

If there is any troth in a QR/QF tie up hope the anti competitive JV with BA is scraped at the same time.

AAtakeMeAway

Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:55 pm

Did anyone see the House Hunters International recently where a couple from Australia was moving to Helsinki, but one of them, who worked for a "major global airline", was living in Qatar temporarily for six months to work on a "project"?
Hmmmm ....

n729pa

Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:03 pm

I can't see EK getting into bed with anyone.

I have visions of them having a massive map on one of their walls at HQ, and every couple of weeks, a random employee in that office is allowed to look at the map and the first place they spot becomes EK's next destination. (Tongue firmly in cheek of course)

Why do EK need to join up with QF? Direct services from Dubai to Longreach are due to commerce in 2017   

A Qatar AW and Qantas tie-up has more grounds for growth, just so long as Qatar remains a stable state in the Persian Gulf. Who knows in 2 or 3 years where Qatar will be, things move very quickly when they start.

Purely IMO of course....

KFlyer

Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:17 pm

Well I guess that a lot of it is pure speculation. The two are not the best match. But with QR planning to join an alliance, never say never. And I think that it is fair to assume that QR is talking to oneworld - even if they may end up joining another alliance.

[Edited 2012-07-04 10:19:22]
The opinions above are solely my own and do not express those of my employers or clients.

Qatara340

Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:33 pm

Logically, IF and I say IF QANTAS would fly with its metal to QATAR, (which is unlikely), what would the loads look like if there was a codeshare with QR to all destinations? Could they be profitable?
لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله

Sydscott

Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:36 pm

Quoting n729pa (Reply 5):
Why do EK need to join up with QF? Direct services from Dubai to Longreach are due to commerce in 2017

That's easy, access to the largest Frequent Flyer Program in Australia and access to the largest domestic carrier for easy connections. That's where the value is for QF.

Quoting QatarA340 (Reply 7):
Logically, IF and I say IF QANTAS would fly with its metal to QATAR, (which is unlikely), what would the loads look like if there was a codeshare with QR to all destinations? Could they be profitable?

You wouldn't see QF metal. What you will see is QF codesharing with QR to destinations in continental Europe outside of LHR, FRA and CDG. That's where they are strategically weakest and that's where they need coverage rather than forcing pax to use LHR or take LH connections at FRA. An EK or a QR alliance would be great for both of these which is why QF will do it with one or the other. I'd also not be surprised if it's QF because they've got much more to gain out of such an alliance than EK does with their smaller market position.

What will be interesting to see is the future of the QF/BA alliance. Alot of pax who would otherwise be on BA planes from LHR to Europe will take the Doha route.

kosmonaute

Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:00 pm

Does this mean DOH-SYD will soon be announced?
Burning airlines give you so much more.

avek00

Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:05 pm

If the Aussies are forced to jump in bed with a parasite Qantas has indeed jumped the shark.
Live life to the fullest.

runway23

Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:09 pm

How will this play with the Joint Venture QF have with BA to Europe?

aerohottie

Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:13 pm

Maybe a range of routes will be operated by both QR and QF between Aus and DOH.

SYD-DOH QF
BNE-DOH QF
MEL-DOH QR
PER-DOH QR

DOH-Europe/ME and Africa QR
What?

aussie747

Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:15 pm

Quoting kosmonaute (Reply 9):

Dont bet on it. The fact that QR just closed its SYD office and that they could not get their ideal times in SYD due to the curfew is enough to say they have given up on flying into Sydney.

Sydscott

Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:24 am

Quoting aussie747 (Reply 13):
Dont bet on it. The fact that QR just closed its SYD office and that they could not get their ideal times in SYD due to the curfew is enough to say they have given up on flying into Sydney.

I'm sure QF could help them out there.  

thegeek

Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:40 am

Quoting aussie747 (Reply 13):

Which perfectly ties in to the possibility of a tie up.

fiscal

Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:50 am

Funny how different news services report things from totally different perspectives. The PerthNow site, reporting on the new service to PER, reports that Qatar are seeking the partnership with QF, not the other way round. They also reported it in such a fashion, that made it sound like the Qatar executive was being very arrogant, and a bit patronizing.

It received a barrage of negative comments from readers.

777ER
Crew

Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:40 am

Could this be a case where QF is trying to get QR to join One World since QR has stated an interest in an alliance in the next 12 months?

Whats happened with the QR and DJ alliance?
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net for all Moderator contact

nethkt

Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:44 am

It's going to get all messy. Alliances will break apart.....xoxo...
Let's just blame it on yields.

mikey72

Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:36 am

Quoting runway23 (Reply 11):
How will this play with the Joint Venture QF have with BA to Europe?

Who knows but if QR are interested in joining Oneworld (which reading between the lines they are) and if QR are interested in closer ties with QF (which considering the latter they probably are) I'm sure the people at BA, QF and QR have all their bases covered and a plan in place.

I suppose there are many 'preferable' scenarios if all this does transpire whereby BA no longer flies its own metal to Australia but I just can't see it for all the reasons that don't make good business sense.

Yes I know the same reasons that apply to New Zealand but in that case the deck is 'really' stacked against BA from an alliance, joint venture etc point of view.

Will BA want to remain in the six continents club (oh no not that again - lol) and send their new flagship aircraft A380 to SYD ?

If I was running the show it would be - NON NEGOTIABLE - but alas i'm not.

(not to mention the speed at which VS would jump all over the opportunity to highlight the only 'British registered' service remaining)
Flying is like sex - I've never had all I wanted but occasionally I've had all I can stand.

6thfreedom

Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:53 am

Quoting kosmonaute (Reply 9):

DOH-SYD doesn't work due to curfew.
If QR operated, service would need to depart after curfew hours. Note that MEL-DOH departs 23.59 during northern winter, after a 22:30 arrival into MEL.

what does become interesting from a SYD perspective is what an australian originating service looks like: ie. QF departure SYD-DOH at 22:30. on the return, a missed curfew delay is easier to manager as an australian carrier.

robertlondon

Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:14 am

Question: Do BA still have a substantial shareholding in QF ?

if so surely this will play a major part in influencing which alliance QR go into......

bill142

Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:18 am

Now all QF has to do is order 777s and they'll be saved.

Quoting 777ER (Reply 17):
Whats happened with the QR and DJ alliance?

DJ has an alliance with EY.

mikey72

Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:19 am

Quoting robertlondon (Reply 21):
Question: Do BA still have a substantial shareholding in QF ?

if so surely this will play a major part in influencing which alliance QR go into......

No the remaining 'family silver' was flogged off a long time ago.

The QF stake, the cabin crew hotel building in midtown Manhattan, never am sure about Terminal 7 at JFK.....do they own lt, lease it etc

spud757

Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:55 am

If this is happens and if QR chooses OW alliance.... Might we see BA working with QR and QF on the kangaroo routes also? For example a BA/QF code share on the ex-MAN routes to OZ via DOH. BA/QF already miss out on the MAN pax who are flying to Oz via SQ, QR, EK and EY's hubs rather than go via LHR. Might as well recapture a slice of that pie on a JV basis.

Or will this push BA to work more closely with MH on the routes to Australia?

LJ

Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:08 am

Quoting Sydscott (Reply 8):
Quoting n729pa (Reply 5):

That's easy, access to the largest Frequent Flyer Program in Australia and access to the largest domestic carrier for easy connections. That's where the value is for QF.

I don't think EK needs the QF frequent flyers and/or domestic feed. EKs DXB - Australia flights seem to doing quite well and it's not that they fear QF or any other airline.

DJMEL

Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:10 pm

DJ/VA have an interline agreement with QR, so if they jump ship to QF, this will see this agreement terminated. DJ/VA have about 24 interline and or codeshare agreements with some of the top airlines in the World and some niche Carriers including: EY/DL/SQ/MI/NZ/VX/VS (Codeshare)
EK/QR/GA/HA/BI/CX just to name a few and most recently CA and FJ.....

lightsaber
Crew

Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:15 pm

QF must improve their European feed. LHR has too much 'back tracking' and is too impacted a hub for good connections. What I would like to know is if QF will feed DOH?

I see very little on their about Emirates. I wonder if there was a mis-speak and the intended other partner is Etihad?

I see things changing. Not alliances breaking, but rather JVs. This could result in QR becoming OW's partner for the mid-east. That would benefit them highly.

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain