huaiwei
Topic Author

It's "Raining Metal" At Refurbished SIN T1

Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:00 pm

Changi's oldest terminal is putting up its finishing touches for its latest and most comprehensive refurbishment. Truth be told, I was rather dejected by the look of the new departure hall when I last visited a month ago. Somehow everything looked rather ordinary and something seemed missing. Yeap, some of you may remember t(e multi-stored "wired sculpture" which looked like a huge fountain which used to grace the original hall when it opened back in 2011, and I was horrified to see it removed.

Yesterday, I discovered that they actually have something to replace that void...a new moving sculpture which they claim is the world's largest, called "Kinetic Rain". Here's a visual comparison of the two:

http://superadrianme.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/1-Kinetic-Rain.jpg

Here is a series of youtube videos which shows the sculpture in motion:

The background: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4-AUVBuZ-4&feature=relmfu

The sculpture itself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXuQnDeIyY8&feature=relmfu

Amateur video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjskY0TwXa0&feature=related

The sculpture was put into motion yesterday, and will be fully operational on the 18th this month.

What do you guys think? I still miss the "fountains", but I suppose this will grow on me.

[Edited 2012-07-05 11:04:20]
It's huaiwei...not huawei. I have nothing to do with the PRC! :)

mcr

RE: It's "Raining Metal" At Refurbished SIN T1

Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:53 pm

Quoting huaiwei (Thread starter):
What do you guys think? I still miss the "fountains", but I suppose this will grow on me.

I've been through Changi many times, but don't recall every seeing the "fountains". This new sculpture looks absolutely amazing though, can't wait to see it - next planned visit to Changi not until next March though, sadly. I'll plan some extra time to watch this "rain"!

KELPkid

Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:58 pm

What, no flower fan sculpture? I'm thoroughly disappointed   OTOH, a nice change...T1 had a 70's/80's vibe to it.
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

loalq

Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:09 pm

It is a great installation, I was amazed when first seeing it last week.

Flying in and out of Changi is such a joy, it continues to be the best airport experience out there and an example to be followed by all other. Congrats to the people managing Changi International, it surely deserves all the praise it gets.
"...this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped."

huaiwei
Topic Author

Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:34 am

Quoting mcr (Reply 1):
I've been through Changi many times, but don't recall every seeing the "fountains".

You have not seen the tall "founains" as shown in the left picture?

huaiwei
Topic Author

Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:35 am

Quoting mcr (Reply 1):
I've been through Changi many times, but don't recall every seeing the "fountains".

Oh? You have not seen the "fountains" as shown in the left photo?

Gr8Circle

Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:36 pm

Quoting huaiwei (Thread starter):
a huge fountain which used to grace the original hall when it opened back in 2011

Did you mean to say back in the early 80's? That's when Changi opened, I think....and it was only T1 at that time......I travelled through T1 back in 1992 and remember seeing the fountain which appears in the left hand frame of the pics you've posted above.....it was really amazing.....

Polot

Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:42 pm

I have never been to SIN, and I don't know what exactly has been changed in T1, but based on the picture I got to say I prefer the look of the "old" T1 versus the refurbished one.

je89_w
Crew

Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:09 pm

Quoting poLOT (Reply 7):
I have never been to SIN, and I don't know what exactly has been changed in T1, but based on the picture I got to say I prefer the look of the "old" T1 versus the refurbished one.

To be fair, the picture doesn't quite show the full renovated departure hall of T1. As much as I miss the old T1 and those fountains, the new T1 looks quite nice.

9VSIO

Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:56 am

Quoting mcr (Reply 1):

You haven't been through enough times then!

The new art installation reminds me of something I once saw at the BMW Museum in Munich.

http://youtu.be/W9vBnScZx9E
Me: (Lining up on final) I shall now select an aiming point. || Instructor: Well, I hope it's the runway...

huaiwei
Topic Author

Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:08 pm

Quoting gr8circle (Reply 6):
Did you mean to say back in the early 80's? That's when Changi opened, I think....and it was only T1 at that time......I travelled through T1 back in 1992 and remember seeing the fountain which appears in the left hand frame of the pics you've posted above.....it was really amazing.....

Oh yes I meant 1981. The "fountain" was not earth-shaking, but I have always thought it was real water as a child and the revelation left a lasting impression. So when it disappeared, somehow I felt a part of my childhood was gone.

Quoting poLOT (Reply 7):
I don't know what exactly has been changed in T1

They totally redid the interior of the terminal, and expanded more space for retail and facilities etc. You can see the new ceiling in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6vkqzhDmcM

rogercamel

Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:54 am

This looks awesome. Will be particularly impressive at night when the sculpture is reflected in the glass.
I'm gonna get my drive to drop me off at T1 when I fly out this Saturday, even though T3 is where I need to be.

AngMoh

Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:00 am

Quoting rogercamel (Reply 11):
This looks awesome. Will be particularly impressive at night when the sculpture is reflected in the glass.
I'm gonna get my drive to drop me off at T1 when I fly out this Saturday, even though T3 is where I need to be.

Did the same last Saturday: departed from T3 but walked over to T1 to have a look.

Have to say that it looks amazing - much nicer than the fountains    . Just stand back a bit so you don't see the wires...

bennator

Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:27 am

I saw it before it "officially opened." I spent a few minutes staring at, and many people snapped pictures. What made it funny was that one ball wasn't moving, looking all sad hanging down.

And also, yes to the refurbishment. I mostly fly out of T1, and it's much nicer now, especially landside.

aviasian

Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:30 am

The new installation is very captivating and I could just keep standing there seeing it change shape. What is particularly interesting is how it changes from something very 2-dimensional to something with volume and very three-dimensional.

Sure, we miss the two vertical fountains from the past ... but they were so dated.

This new installation is refreshing and is best viewed from level 3 of the terminal. When I passed through T1 some days ago, I saw lots of people - local visitors, departing and arriving passengers - watching it, photograhing and video-ing it. Without exception, many were very impressed by the show.

What I particularly like about the renovation to T1 is the amount of natural light and greenery that has been introduced. The higher ceiling and more open terminal makes an old terminal that was already very popular even more attractive.

It certainly was money well-spent. Amazing that each of the three terminals looked so different and yet each one is a joy to visit and utilise.

KC Sim