LAXintl
Topic Author

Boutique Air – New California Commuter

Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:31 pm

California company Shasta Flyers Aviation which currently is under contract to US Forest Service and holds Part-135 certification, applied with the DOT seeking to gain economic authority to engage in scheduled passenger operations as a commuter air-carrier.

Using the marketing name of Boutique Air, the company proposes to utilize 9-seat Pilatus PC-12 aircraft. Initial planned route is connecting its home base of Redding California to Oakland.

Carrier expects to utilize its first acquired PC-12 aircraft (N471SS) on the Oakland scheduled service commencing approximately January 2013.

OST-2012-0108

I see they have a website placeholder
http://www.boutiqueair.com/

=
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

simairlinenet

RE: Boutique Air – New California Commuter

Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:42 pm

Not to be confused with Surf Air, which is also planning intra-California (Bay Area to SoCal) with PC-12s.

http://www.surfair.com

modesto2

Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:26 am

I heard about Boutique Air a while back, but at the time, I couldn't find information about its proposed services. Who are they hoping to attract with this route?

Italianflyer

Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:41 am

I like!! BoutiqueAir: The Virgin America Connection lol   

doug_or

Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:56 pm

Doesn't OO still fly SFO-RDD? What is the purpose of flying very high CASM aircraft to a secondary airport in competition with them? How will they attract a premium by saying "we'll fly you on a smaller airplane to and outlying airport"?
When in doubt, one B pump off

Wingtips56

Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:19 pm

Quoting doug_Or (Reply 4):
Doesn't OO still fly SFO-RDD? What is the purpose of flying very high CASM aircraft to a secondary airport in competition with them? How will they attract a premium by saying "we'll fly you on a smaller airplane to and outlying airport"?

Yes, OO/UAX still flies SFO-RDD, though cutting 4 > 3 per the OAG posting.

I don't expect Boutique to be flying that route other than by charter. There was an announcement back in March on Boutique (4B) flying between Arcata/Eureka CA (ACV) and RDD/MFR/EUG. Here is a clip from the Eureka Times-Standard, 02MAR2012:
".......a smaller airline company has already started taking reservations for charter services that will begin next week. Boutique Air, a San Francisco-based company that started in 2007, offers mostly charter and air taxi service through www.boutiqueair.com.
Boutique Air CEO Shawn Simpson said the company will offer four round-trip flights from the Arcata/Eureka Airport to Redding and Eugene, Ore. Tickets for one-way flights from Arcata to Redding start at about $220 and one-way flights from Arcata to Eugene, Ore., start at about $400.
Simpson said most of the planes carry four people but that they're working to expand to larger planes that can carry about nine passengers.
”We're pretty tiny but growing,” Simpson said. “Our goal is to serve a need, and we'll adjust things as we see fit to cater to the demand.”
He said one of the nice things about flying on smaller planes, under 30 passengers, is that the FAA doesn't require people to go through Transportation Security Administration-level security, so they don't have to arrive hours before their flight to navigate long security lines."

It's very unlikely that many will be flying ACV-RDD as it's a 3-hour drive, and the $220/ow price is insane. For those going to Shasta Medical Center, you have to get a car at RDD (which is in Cottonwood) and back-track to the NW side of Redding proper. QX flew round-robins that included ACV-RDD as part of 1-stop service to PDX/SEA or LAX, with almost nobody flying just the local leg. What is really needed is ACV to LAX (American Eagle, come back, come back!!), and ACV/CEC/RDD north to PDX/SEA or more SMF, so we don't have to go through bloody SFO and allow for all the delays and cancellations SFO generates. Of course with Boutique not going through TSA security, you can't go into the secure terminals for easy interline connections...which is the problem with SeaPort at PDX.
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines

LAXintl
Topic Author

Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:09 pm

Boutique can operate charters today. What its requesting from the DOT is scheduled authority.

I doubt they will simply stick to a RDD-OAK as their application makes mention of goal of an eventual larger fleet and additional markets.

Time will tell.

RWA380

Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:53 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 6):

I doubt they will simply stick to a RDD-OAK as their application makes mention of goal of an eventual larger fleet and additional markets.

I have been saying there is a gap left by QX connecting OR and WA with RDD and ACV, I flew PDX-RDD-ACV once, and the plane was pretty full to RDD, people left and a couple boarded to ACV all those were going back to PDX, and the crowd in ACV almost filled the plane again. I think the PC-12 is not the best plane, but there are several markets in that region that could benefit from some added service, Caravans may be better, RDD seems like a reasonable place to make a connecting hub for the region. Hope they change the name at some point, not my favorite airline name ever.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3/4, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777, DC-8-5/6/7, DC-9-1/3/5, MD-80/2/3/7/8, DC-10-10/30/40, MD-11, F-27, F-28, SWM, J31, D38, DH7, DH8, DH4 SD-330, B-146, L-1011-2/500, ATR-42/72, VCV, A-300/310/318/319/320, CR2/7

LAXintl
Topic Author

Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:28 pm

One thing Boutique has going for it, is its parent earns majority of its income from other sources, so at the moment any scheduled flying would be on the side, and not likely to make or break the bank.

However I do question use of the PC-12. Great plane, but quite pricey.

FI642

Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:43 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 8):
However I do question use of the PC-12. Great plane, but quite pricey.

That is exactly what I was thinking!
737MAX, Cool Planes for the Worlds Coolest Airline.

Ps76

Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:17 pm

Hi!

Quoting simairlinenet (Reply 1):
Not to be confused with Surf Air, which is also planning intra-California (Bay Area to SoCal) with PC-12s.

I had a long look at their FAQ's. I can't tell if it's a really good idea which will be successful or the worst idea in the World! It looks like a club for rich people in Palo Alto and Santa Barbara and Monterey to get flights from near their home to LA and between these places. I wonder though how many people would want to fly between these places? It kinda even reminds me of the flying version of timeshares or something. From my experience rich (but not uberrich) people tend to fly and travel to further destinations: Europe, Asia, Hawaii either for work or pleasure. Who knows. Maybe flying commercially has become so horrible for people that they will pay more even on one route to fly without the hassles.

These new kinds of private airlines sure look interesting but might be pipe dreams as far as I can see!

Many thanks,

Pierre

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos