saab2000
Topic Author

Delta Discontinuing DCA-GRR?

Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:55 pm

I have been a long-time commuter on this route and it appears my worst fears are being realized. It looks as though next week will be the final flights along this route and after that the direct flight to DCA (where I'm based) will be done. This is too bad in my mind for totally selfish reasons but the flights generally seemed to have at least reasonable loads and I'm sure the fares were premium fares in order to get a direct flight.

When the Delta - US Airways slot swap was first announced there were a lot of rumors floating around regarding US Airways restarting GRR as a station and possibly picking up this flight. I would imagine they would also do CLT and PHL.

Is there any chance of this happening or are US Airways passengers likely to continue to be flown on United machinery via ORD on code share flights?

Any insights on US Airways' future in GRR?

Thanks!
smrtrthnu

southwest737500

RE: Delta Discontinuing DCA-GRR?

Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:58 pm

I think US is looking into more Midwest cities like OKC,TUL. They just added des monies and Omaha

They may come.
Next flight: TUL-ATL-CLT CRJ900 and MD88

knope2001

Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:22 am

I suspect if Southwest had decided to not take up Grand Rapids from AirTran, there's a better chance US would have restored GRR. But with WN continuing AirTran's GRR-BWI and generally preventing excessive coach fares in many markets, GRR is less attractive to US.

spiritair97

Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:13 am

US probably will come to GRR now. Some stations, like BDL, PVD, and CHS, are seeing DL pull the DCA route, but have US just increase their current capacity on the routes. Also, interestingly enough, they have been consolidating their capacity on certain DCA-hub routes, like JFK, which is now down to 2 daily a319s and (maybe?) one RJ on the route.

capitalflyer

Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:41 am

F9 is currently operating 3x weekly DCA-GRR to pick up where DL is leaving off.

ouboy79

Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:45 am

Quoting southwest737500 (Reply 1):
I think US is looking into more Midwest cities like OKC,TUL. They just added des monies and Omaha

They may come.

I heard it'll be next year before they start really looking at the Midwest/Great Lakes seriously again.

I doubt you'll see US Airways back in any Oklahoma airport anytime soon. They got it handed to them by WN the last time. Though CLT/PHL instead of PHX/LAS might work better this time around from OKC (they never did TUL if i remember right). All comes down to what happens with AA as well though.