sunrisevalley
Topic Author

QF32 Engine Failure , A Book By The Captain.

Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:29 am

I hope the forum monitors will allow this posting to stand because of its interest to many on the list.

Many will be interested in a book that has been written by Capt. Richard de Crespigny the Captain of this A380 flight that suffered the major engine failure that has been the subject of much bandwidth on A. net. Below is an email that Capt. de Crespigny sent to a number of colleagues on how to get his book. I am sure that there are many on A.net who would avail themselves of the opportunity to get a copy.

Quote...My book about the QF32 flight, aptly called "QF32" and published by Pan Macmillan is finished. The book will be formally launched by the media on 21 July and the book will be available at the end of the month. The dust cover looks good, except that the publisher wanted my photo on the front - not what I wanted, but so be it.

The book can be ordered from www.QF32.Aero (delivery world wide), Amazon (electronic only) or any Australian bookshop.

I have signed all books that are purchased from www.QF32.Aero

There's absolutely no pressure to purchase a copy - I just wanted to let you know that the book is out and if you're interested.

Kind regards

Rich
Richard de Crespigny
A380 Captain.... ................. end of quote

Zkpilot

RE: QF32 Engine Failure , A Book By The Captain.

Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:29 am

Surprised QF allowed him to write a book and release it considering how strict/OTT their media policy is. Should be an interesting read.
56 types. 38 countries. 24 airlines.

ZuluAlpha

Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:18 am

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 1):

Agreed

I'm sure it would have to had been approved by the QF corporate media first before it has been published
Flown on:_CRJ, CR& D10 DHT DH8, DH2, DH3, DH4, EMB, E45, E75, E90, F28 J32 M80 SH6 320, 32B, 332, 333, 380, 717, 732, 733, 734, 73H, 743, 744, 752 762, 763, 772, 77W

airtechy

Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:47 am

I assume he is still employed by QF and has not retired.

Jim

qf002

Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:26 am

It's a very good opportunity for QF to showcase their attitude to safety etc in a very trustworthy/public way. No doubt there will be a lot about e extensive and rigorous training that QF Pilots receive, and how well prepared they are for situations like this one and so on.

It also creates an apparent transparency in the company's PR strategy, which is nirvana for corporate advertising because it means that the general public are more likely to believe targeted advertising.

Quoting airtechy (Reply 3):

He is still flying with QF.

AR385

Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:09 am

Thank you for posting this. I immediately got into contact with the links you provided and purchased a book for me and my brother. The cool thing is that the Captain will sign the book for you and for an extra fee, will make it a personal signature. Excellent birthday present for my brother.

I bet it´s an interesting read too.

AirlineCritic

Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:50 am

Thanks for posting. I also ordered my copy.

B738FlyUIA

Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:50 am

Thanks for posting the link!!!!

Very interesting  
Quoting AR385 (Reply 5):
Excellent birthday present...

mine is next Friday!!! So maybe will be happy to open up the present and see this book inside. PM me if you want my address  

ClassicLover

Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:44 am

Quoting sunrisevalley (Thread starter):
The book can be ordered from www.QF32.Aero (delivery world wide), Amazon (electronic only) or any Australian bookshop.

Oh well done for posting this. It was mentioned in The Australian newspaper that a book was out, without saying what it was called or anything like that. Very hard to find in a google search too, I couldn't get a hit.

This is a definite purchase! It will be very interesting to see what this book is like!
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

mariner

Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:49 am

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 8):
It was mentioned in The Australian newspaper that a book was out, without saying what it was called or anything like that.

There's a bit more here - second story in the article:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busi...paign/story-e6frg95x-1226418217994

"AIRBUS A380 captain Richard de Crespigny's new book on the QF32 engine explosion comes with some impressive recommendations from people who should know. "A gripping tale of overcoming seemingly unsurmountable odds," says lunar pioneer Neil Armstrong, who experienced a few heart-stopping moments of his own.

"A compelling journey of leadership and resilience," says US Airways Flight 1549 Captain Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger. Sullenberger goes on to note that the book's description of a well-trained crew acting to save lives "gives a unique insight into how experience and judgment can avert a disaster". Amen to that."

mariner
aeternum nauta

ClassicLover

Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:51 am

Quoting mariner (Reply 9):
"AIRBUS A380 captain Richard de Crespigny's new book on the QF32 engine explosion comes with some impressive recommendations from people who should know.

Sure, but it doesn't actually give you a title   ... and search for his name and it's all QF32 links of course!

mariner

Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:16 am

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 10):
Sure, but it doesn't actually give you a title   ... and search for his name and it's all QF32 links of course!

Oh. I searched for "Richard de Crespigny book" and got several hits. This one, for example:

http://www.aviationbusiness.com.au/news/the-week-in-brief-28-june-2012

"The Captain’s story of that QF32 incident back in November 2010 which saw an A380 engine self-destruct in flight is about to be told in full. Richard De Crespigny’s first-hand account of the incident and the actions involved in effecting a safe return to Singapore will be in bookshops next month. Entitled QF32, the book (and e-book) is to published by Pan MacMillan Australia on 24 July."

First hit on Amazon, too.

mariner

[Edited 2012-07-08 03:23:22]
aeternum nauta

chrisnh

Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:42 am

I think because the event was handled professionally and because Qantas has a stellar safety record, this story only helps their image. After all, the company that must want this book squelched is the engine-maker...not Qantas.

Hope I can get it for the iPad.

cedarjet

Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:06 am

Surprised QF allowed him to write a book and release it considering how strict/OTT their media policy is.

Don't know what you mean about Qantas' "strict / OTT media policy" - see the link below. Cos not only is this one of the best aviation documentaries I've ever seen (knocks spots off the Air Crash Investigation / Mayday / Seconds From Disaster episodes, which are mostly good), with interviews with all five pilots, CSD, dispatcher, air traffic controller, fire chief, passengers, investigators, Indonesian school teacher whose classroom was struck by wreckage, but also QF CEO Alan Joyce, who talks about why Qantas thought being public and open about the incident was the right policy. I cannot recommend the documentary enough, and also cos it speaks directly about their media policy and why it's important to be open and honest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHb9gjOFEbA

Btw openness and honesty also describes USAirways after Sully's US 1549 accident. BA thought otherwise, and Peter Burkill's book Thirty Seconds To Impact about BA 38 really brings that point home - the disastrous effect that secrecy had on both the media coverage and Burkill's own life is probably the dominant theme of the whole book. (Sully's book is pretty much unreadable, nothing about flying to speak of, lots about how proud he is of his daughters for training seeing-eye dogs; it's a puffy meringue of feel-good sweet nothings, which is a shame cos he's a super deep and serious dude.)
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

VHHYI

Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:48 am

Quoting cedarjet (Reply 13):
Don't know what you mean about Qantas' "strict / OTT media policy" - see the link below.

I was about to post the same thing!

The original program site can be found here:
http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/content/2011/s3172488.htm

Clearly given how extensive the above TV segment was, QF is certainly more than willing to let the crew speak about it (at RR's expense)
This Porsche is like an Airbus;an Engineering marvel, but without passion - Jeremy Clarkson

TN486

Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:58 pm

Thank you for the link to You Tube, and I have just ordered the book to compliment my extensive QF library. cheers.
remember the t shirt "I own an airline"on the front - "qantas" on the back

GCPET

Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:33 pm

Thanks for the link! Definitely going to order myself a copy which I can read on my upcoming holiday! 

GCPET
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!

babybus

Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:37 pm

I'm a little surprised the capt wanted to write about this trivial incident because it's not one of the great aviation tales of the 21st century. No one was in danger, he had 3 other engines running, and it was virtually a brand new aircraft.

The capt who plomped that BA 777 onto the ground at LHR with no engines running over central London would be a much more interesting read.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

jetfuel

Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:43 pm

Quoting babybus (Reply 17):
No one was in danger, he had 3 other engines running, and it was virtually a brand new aircraft.

suggest you do more research...
Where's the passion gone out of the airline industry? The smell of jetfuel and the romance of taking a flight....

MarcW10

Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:00 pm

The capt who plomped that BA 777 onto the ground at LHR with no engines running over central London would be a much more interesting read.

The capt in question DID publish his story, "Thirty Seconds to Impact: The Captain's Story of Flight BA38". Not a bad little read, but focuses a lot more on the way he was treated by BA after the accident than the accident itself IMO...

Francoflier

Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:22 pm

Quoting sunrisevalley (Thread starter):
There's absolutely no pressure to purchase a copy - I just wanted to let you know that the book is out and if you're interested.

This strikes me as an odd statement... Why would he state that to his colleagues?

Is some of QF's corporate culture showing here?
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

ClassicLover

Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:05 pm

Quoting mariner (Reply 11):
Oh. I searched for "Richard de Crespigny book" and got several hits. This one, for example

Okay, okay, you win  
Quoting VHHYI (Reply 14):
The original program site can be found here:
http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/conte...8.htm

That was an excellent programme! That fuel leak was major!

neutronstar73

Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:27 pm

I'm a little surprised the capt wanted to write about this trivial incident because it's not one of the great aviation tales of the 21st century. No one was in danger, he had 3 other engines running, and it was virtually a brand new aircraft.

Errm....I think you need to re-think that statement. Perhaps a little research into the incident may help you out. It was far from trivial, and I think you are trying to (unsuccessfully) dust up Boeing in a thread that has nothing to do with Boeing.

slvrblt

Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:00 pm

'm a little surprised the capt wanted to write about this trivial incident because it's not one of the great aviation tales of the 21st century. No one was in danger, he had 3 other engines running, and it was virtually a brand new aircraft.

No, not true. It's an amazing story, that A380 could/should easily have crashed, she was in a pretty bad way....losing fuel and losing ability to control the airplane. Reminds me of the UAL DC10 years ago that had an engine failure that cut through so many control surfaces, then did a cartwheel on landing. Only this guy brought this one down....with 400+ pax on board...........in one piece. He deserves a lot of credit.
..everything works out in the end.

frmrCapCadet

Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:25 pm

I am drawing a blank from Amazon both on the title QF32 and on the author Richard de Crespigny , maybe only in Australia? Usually you can pre-order up to a month before publication.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

machnumber

Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:09 pm

Pilots that that did a good job handling emergencies writing books. That must be the new trend.

Is there really that much to tell about this that would fill a book? ( I'm not saying that it was no big deal from a technical standpoint)

Very lucrative these guys.

vaus77w

Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:05 pm

Quoting frmrCapCadet (Reply 24):
I am drawing a blank from Amazon both on the title QF32 and on the author Richard de Crespigny , maybe only in Australia? Usually you can pre-order up to a month before publication.

That's odd, I just pre-ordered a Kindle edition of the book from Amazon, searched QF32 and it came straight up.

rcair1
Crew

Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:21 pm

Quoting vaus77w (Reply 26):
Quoting frmrCapCadet (Reply 24):

That's odd, I just pre-ordered a Kindle edition of the book from Amazon, searched QF32 and it came straight up.

No luck here either - I've searched Amazon every way I can think of. Arrgghh - I just don't read paper books anymore.
rcair1

boeingfixer

Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:21 pm

From your statement it is obvious that you are completely ignorant of the details surrounding this event. The amount of systems failures and damage to the aircraft from one failed engine really made for an exciting time on the flight deck. Having 3 other engines and being a virtually brand new aircraft has nothing to do with what transpired.

Also an uninformed and inflated comment. Both engines were indeed running. They just didn't respond to the command to increase power. You may want to do a little research into that one as well. Also last I checked, central London is some 14 miles, as the crow flies, from LHR.

Ciao,

John
Cheers, John YYC

mariner

Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:34 pm

Quoting rcair1 (Reply 27):
No luck here either - I've searched Amazon every way I can think of. Arrgghh - I just don't read paper books anymore.

First hit on Amazon for me:

http://www.amazon.com/QF32-ebook/dp/...90346&sr=1-2&keywords=de+Crespigny

I dunno if the link will work here.

mariner
aeternum nauta

jmw99ttu

Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:11 am

Must be blocked for US amazon accounts. The link opened the page, but there was no pricing available, nor option to order. I guess us Yanks will have to go old school if we want to read it now.  

timpdx

Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:57 am

I tried Amazon.au and could not get it to come up, Amazon.uk and our US based plain-jane Amazon.com have turned up nothing for me. The link has no information on ordering or publication date.

mariner

Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:31 am

Quoting timpdx (Reply 31):
I tried Amazon.au and could not get it to come up, Amazon.uk and our US based plain-jane Amazon.com have turned up nothing for me. The link has no information on ordering or publication date.

I really don't know what the problem is. The Amazon link works fine for me and includes a price and a publication date.

Still, here's the publisher's link, which, for me, which has the ISBN #:

http://www.panmacmillan.com.au/displ...4&Author=de%20Crespigny,%20Richard

ISBN:

Which number gives me this:

http://www.abbeys.com.au/book/qf32.do

And this:

http://www.boomerangbooks.com.au/Qf3...e-Crespigny/book_9781742611174.htm

And this:

http://www.booktopia.com.au/qf32/prod9781742611174.html

All three links have a "buy" option, although the book won;t be available until 1 August.

mariner
aeternum nauta

GinoDownUnder

Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:40 am

The links to Richard's (paper) book are (and working):

Web Page: http://qf32.aero/
Ordering On-Line: http://cart.qf32.aero/

All copies from this site are autographed. Autographed copies may also be signed differently and sent to a different address - for a birthday gift ....)

The site shows that the book will not be shipped until 23 July (after the official launch)

Hope this helps

Gino

chrisnh

Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:27 pm

The people who are succeeding with the Amazon link are either in Australia or New Zealand. The links referenced above all have a '.au' suffix.

In any event, this book looks like one worth reading. Looking at the ABC program on-line, the Captain seems very well-spoken, which ought to translate into him also being well-read.

I'm not completely clear on the ramifications of digital rights management, but I would hope that the good Captain can just state that he wants his book available on Apple's iBooks store worldwide and that would be that.

[Edited 2012-07-09 06:31:40]

tom355uk

Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:47 pm

Quoting ChrisNH (Reply 34):
available on Apple's iBooks store worldwide

Available for preorder on iBooks (in the UK anyway). Release date 24th July, priced at £13.99. Ordered!!
on Twitter @tombeckett2285

chrisnh

Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:54 pm

Quoting tom355uk (Reply 35):
Available for preorder on iBooks (in the UK anyway). Release date 24th July, priced at £13.99. Ordered!!

Terrific! Congratulations! I would imagine that all the photos in the printed version come through in the iBooks one? I'll head over to iBooks now! Thanks for the tip!