chrisnh

Painting Logos On Belly: Not A US Thing?

Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:51 pm

I notice that Emirates and Qatar paint their logos on the belly of their planes. Here in southern New Hampshire, I can identify their planes as they come in from their transatlantic trips. But putting the logo on the belly of domestic airliners doesn't seem to be a thing we do over here.

Who besides Emirates & Qatar does this?

TCX69K

RE: Painting Logos On Belly: Not A US Thing?

Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:57 pm

Quote:
Who besides Emirates and Qatar does this?

Air Asia
airberlin
Biman Bangladesh Airlines
CityJet
Jetstar
Pakistan International Airlines
Turkish Airlines
Virgin Atlantic

[Edited 2012-07-08 10:01:54]

[Edited 2012-07-08 10:05:46]

studedave

Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:04 pm

Quoting ChrisNH (Thread starter):
But putting the logo on the belly of domestic airliners doesn't seem to be a thing we do over here.

And I am soooo thankful for that!!! Let's hope that continues to be the case.

StudeDave
Classic planes, Classic trains, and Studebakers~~ what else is there???

EricR

Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:09 pm

Slightly off topic, but I am still surprised businesses have not approached airlines to use this space as flying billboards. For example, Coca Cola paying DL money to lease this space and place the Coke logo on the bottom of the plane. Seems like a good way for airlines to pick up extra money in a challenging environment.

N172DM

Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:15 pm

Not excactly on the belly, but Cargolux has thier logo painted on the underside of the nose. I wish that was more common here. It makes it a lot easier to identify the airline when it flies over and gives it a cool look, I think.

Danny
And in the world, a heart of darkness... -U2

luv2fly

Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:16 pm

To be honest does coke really even need to advertise? I think something like this would be ideal for a small / start up company, though they probably could not afford it.
You can cut the irony with a knife

Mcoov

Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:18 pm

Being so close to the ground and the engines, I would imagine that this part of the aircraft is also the dirtiest. Emirates and Qatar have the money and the desire to maintain the aircraft's physical appearance after each flight. Many American carriers do not have either of these factors.

Viscount724

Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:22 pm

Quoting EricR (Reply 3):
Slightly off topic, but I am still surprised businesses have not approached airlines to use this space as flying billboards. For example, Coca Cola paying DL money to lease this space and place the Coke logo on the bottom of the plane. Seems like a good way for airlines to pick up extra money in a challenging environment.

That would be a waste of advertising funds in my opinion. Not 1 in 1000 people even look up with an aircraft flies over these days. Best to spend the money advertising on objects that are in peoples' line of sight.

B757Forever

Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:34 pm

Quoting ChrisNH (Thread starter):
But putting the logo on the belly of domestic airliners doesn't seem to be a thing we do over here.

True, however it would be difficult to read the writing on the belly of an RJ!  
The Rolls Royce Dart. Noise = Shaft Horsepower.

N766UA

Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:39 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 7):
That would be a waste of advertising funds in my opinion.

Agreed. You need to get out of the airport bum mentality and realize that most people on this planet don't even turn their head when an airplane goes by, let alone look straight up.
This Website Censors Me

smws

Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:02 pm

The new Estonian Air livery has the company logo on the bottom of the plane, too.

[Edited 2012-07-08 11:05:36]

bluejuice

Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:12 pm

Airports are a huge NIMBY magnet. Why make filing a complaint easier?  

Type-Rated

Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:07 am

Because the airlines here in the U.S. would view it as some kind of security risk.

Like an AA F/A told me one time. I am not supposed to look at the N number registration of the aircraft because "it's secret information" and for me to even see it is considered a security risk.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

nws2002

Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:23 am

Quoting type-rated (Reply 12):
Like an AA F/A told me one time. I am not supposed to look at the N number registration of the aircraft because "it's secret information" and for me to even see it is considered a security risk.

That FA is an idiot, but truthfully we don't usually know the tail number/N number of the aircraft. Everything at UA is done by ship number, which is an internal designation.

NASCARAirforce

Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:29 am

Quoting N172DM (Reply 4):
Not excactly on the belly, but Cargolux has thier logo painted on the underside of the nose. I wish that was more common here. It makes it a lot easier to identify the airline when it flies over and gives it a cool look, I think.

Doesn't Korean Air do that too?

Quoting luv2fly (Reply 5):
To be honest does coke really even need to advertise? I think something like this would be ideal for a small / start up company, though they probably could not afford it.

They just advertised at Daytona big time yesterday at the race called the Coke Zero 400

Quoting N766UA (Reply 9):
Agreed. You need to get out of the airport bum mentality and realize that most people on this planet don't even turn their head when an airplane goes by, let alone look straight up.

Remember Western Pacific did that - I remember hearing about people purposely going out of their way just so they could fly the Simpsons plane

That's not too far off actually. At San Antonio Airport on their city code or airport ordinance page it says that recording tail numbers is illegal there.

BlueLine

Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:36 am

I feel the same way. It seems people who aren't into aviation couldn't tell the difference between a CRJ-700 and a 767, yet alone which airline's metal is overhead. I think airlines don't see painting logos on the bellies as being worth the expense. If you don't know airline logos well, you would only be able to clearly identify what's painted on the underside if the plane is taking off or on approach. Paying more for something that will be targeted to people who are coming to or going from the airport doesn't seem like a good investment to me when the regular livery does the same thing..

usair330

Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:01 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 7):
Not 1 in 1000 people even look up with an aircraft flies over these days. Best to spend the money advertising on objects that are in peoples' line of sight.
You need to get out of the airport bum mentality and realize that most people on this planet don't even turn their head when an airplane goes by, let alone look straight up.

Over the years I have come to realize that. The fact is that airplanes in the sky today are so much more quite than those of the 90's. You would look up when you heard a 727 or a DC9 over head. Not anymore.

If the paint or decal adds weight that could be another reason US airlines haven't done it.

[Edited 2012-07-08 20:04:21]

burnsie28

Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:53 am

Quoting EricR (Reply 3):

At the same time, airlines such as DL, UA, etc are trying to build their own brand, no need for them to make aircraft advertising space. The best at doing that though was Western Pacific.

Wingtips56

Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:41 am

I think we airliner nerds are the only ones that still look up. The belly logos are nice, but the paint does add weight, and the logo looks like crap; after weather, fuel/soot stands and biffy leaks. Not good public image in that case.
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines

Schweigend

Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:05 am

Quoting Mcoov (Reply 6):
Being so close to the ground and the engines, I would imagine that this part of the aircraft is also the dirtiest. Emirates and Qatar have the money and the desire to maintain the aircraft's physical appearance after each flight. Many American carriers do not have either of these factors.

I have seen the EK logo on the center body area, where the MLG are stowed, and it always looks nice and sharp. They must make sure it stays clean.... I don't think Air France has a logo painted there!

Because the airlines here in the U.S. would view it as some kind of security risk.

Yes, I can see how it might be considered a security risk if someone on the ground with binoculars were able to identify a specific aircraft flying overhead.

Quoting nws2002 (Reply 13):
That FA is an idiot, but truthfully we don't usually know the tail number/N number of the aircraft. Everything at UA is done by ship number, which is an internal designation.

...and that four-digit number is visible to anyone who knows where to look for it on the exterior, and on the UA website under flight status.

Related to this topic, I've noticed that many non-U.S. airlines have the aircraft's registry number painted on the underside of the wings, so that from below one can tell exactly what plane it is.

Why is that, any why do no U.S. operators do this? Security again?

CapEd388

Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:23 am

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 14):
That's not too far off actually. At San Antonio Airport on their city code or airport ordinance page it says that recording tail numbers is illegal there.

Are you serious? Why is that?

That is completely ridiculous, for them to actually go out of their way and say "to record reg. #s is illegal". Do they have the right to do this? Are they following some sort of FAA regulation or is this just something they are enforcing on their own?

I just don't get how knowing/asking/recording reg. #s is somehow a security risk. The airplanes have the Reg. # on their tail, visible for anyone to see.

What damage or risk is there in me knowing an aircraft's registration number?

And if it was truly illegal or a security risk, why does the FAA have a Registration Number look up page on their website. They provide all the information of all U.S. registered aircraft.

I think some people are just a little nutty. When i flew last year with G4 I asked the FA (on both trips) what the tail number of the aircraft was, and they gladly gave it to me.

I guess it just depends on the person.
388 346 77W 787

ghifty

Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:35 am

Quoting luv2fly (Reply 5):

To be honest does coke really even need to advertise?

For many reasons, yes.

Quoting StudeDave (Reply 2):
And I am soooo thankful for that!!! Let's hope that continues to be the case.

Same here. It looks cheesy (except with EK) and is pretty much pointless.

Quoting EricR (Reply 3):
but I am still surprised businesses have not approached airlines to use this space as flying billboards.

What airline would be interested in diluting their brand image to do that?

Besides that, most people don't look up to see an airplane pass overhead. Personally, unless I am actively spotting planes I don't look up as a plane passes overhead.. usually I'm driving whenever an airplane crosses my path and I shouldn't take my eyes off the roadway.. I've also never *casually* (for a reason other than spotting) been anywhere where aircraft pass overhead low enough that you can read what's on the underbelly.
Fly Delta Jets

9VSIO

Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:00 am

Quoting Schweigend (Reply 19):
Related to this topic, I've noticed that many non-U.S. airlines have the aircraft's registry number painted on the underside of the wings, so that from below one can tell exactly what plane it is.

Why is that, any why do no U.S. operators do this? Security again?

Regulatory requirement by many other authorities to have the number clearly visible from the ground.
Me: (Lining up on final) I shall now select an aiming point. || Instructor: Well, I hope it's the runway...

boeing773W

Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:27 am

Yes, I can see how it might be considered a security risk if someone on the ground with binoculars were able to identify a specific aircraft flying overhead.

Why on Earth would you say that is a security risk? Do you honestly think that someone with the capabilities to cause harm to an aircraft would actually need the registration number from the ground?

chrisair

Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:55 am

Didn't Sun Country paint "HI" and a smiley face on the underside of a 727 or DC-10?

thrufru

Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:57 am

I don't know... I think i'd be quite nice to have looked up and seen the United Tulip, Delta Widget or American Chicken on the bottom of someone's belly.

chrisnh

Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:29 am

In this day of ADS-B technology, the 'logo on the belly' isn't compromising security any more than 'recording registration numbers' would. No logo? no problem! Let's just go in and turn PlaneFinder on and it'll tell me everything I want to know about the plane overhead.

bucchinij

Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:45 am

One of the main reason the average person on the ground would probably look up at an airplane would be to see the airplane which is making a lot of noise. This in turn would allow that said average person to send a letter of complaint to the airline in question. No logos on the bottom means it is quite hard for them to identify which airline to sue! 

As far as N number security, ask the crew to see the airworthiness certificate next time you board.

briboy

Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:56 am

Indeed. From http://www.sanantonio.gov/Aviation/i...dedfiles/upload-217201130045pm.pdf

Section 3-150 - Prohibition against the Recording of Aircraft Registration Information.

The recording of any Aircraft registration information by Persons or tenants other than those servicing or
handling said Aircraft is expressly prohibited without the written permission of the Aircraft owner,
operator, or his/her designee.

Very odd.
next up: YYC, SFO, SYD, AKL, WLG, CMB, BKK, SIN, FRA, VCE, JFK

747400sp

Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:20 am

Quoting N172DM (Reply 4):

Doesn't Korean Air do that too?

Yes, KAL do have something writing on the bottom of their cargo 747s noses.

UPS, also paints their logo on the bottom of their 744s noses.

SkyTeamTriStar

Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:32 am

Quoting nws2002 (Reply 13):

Totally ridicules. The N-number, Ship number is plastered inside the cabin and in several different places, at that! I've seen it plastered in galleys, at the boarding door, sometimes near the flight deck door, so it all depends upon the carrier.

Even while standing inside the Concourse I can look outside the window and see the Ship number of the plane, too. Ewwwww, top secret!! What a moron.

mcr

Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:59 am

Quoting TCX69K (Reply 1):
Who besides Emirates and Qatar does this?Air AsiaairberlinBiman Bangladesh AirlinesCityJetJetstarPakistan International AirlinesTurkish AirlinesVirgin Atlantic

Virgin Atlantic doesn't, AFAIK, unless it's only on the Gatwick fleet - I watch their aircraft come in and out of LHR all day and have never noticed a logo underneath. Also pretty sure CityJet don't either, their paint jobs are almost all-over white with just a small red strip on the rudder.

chrisnh

Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:54 pm

I record the registration numbers of every plane I've flown on. On night flights or when the plane is parked a certain way, it's often impossible to 'read' the tail number. So I will happily stick my head inside the cockpit and ask the crew. Each and every time, they shriek in horror, screaming 'SECURITY RISK!!!'     

Polot

Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:04 pm

The idea that US airlines don't paint their name/logo on the bottom of the fuselage because it is a security risk is laughable. The logo/name on the belly is a very recent trend, and most airlines do not currently it. I'm not sure why exactly you are singling out US carriers.

RussianJet

Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:12 pm

Air Berlin also do it.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

dc10bhx

Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:18 pm

KAL / UPS / Cargolux (and a whole host of other 74F operators) have their name on the bottom of the door so when it is raised up for loading / unloading it advertises the Airline.
I'm lucky my job is my hobby

smittyone

Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:46 pm

Quoting B757forever (Reply 8):
True, however it would be difficult to read the writing on the belly of an RJ!

Win!

Quoting briboy (Reply 28):
Indeed. From http://www.sanantonio.gov/Aviation/i...dedfiles/upload-217201130045pm.pdf

Section 3-150 - Prohibition against the Recording of Aircraft Registration Information.

The recording of any Aircraft registration information by Persons or tenants other than those servicing or
handling said Aircraft is expressly prohibited without the written permission of the Aircraft owner,

Very odd.

I'd say good luck enforcing this now that the post-9/11 hysteria has worn off a bit.

Though by the wording I wonder if the intent is to stop industrial spies from tracking fleet movements from a competition standpoint rather than stop spotters/nerds from recording N#s.

Either way, are they saying you can't photograph aircraft if the N# is visible? Silly.

[Edited 2012-07-09 06:50:13]

luv2fly

Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:10 pm

They just advertised at Daytona big time yesterday at the race called the Coke Zero 400

Yes a relatively new drink, no reason to call it the coke classic.

luv2fly

Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:11 pm

Quoting ghifty (Reply 21):
For many reasons, yes.

Do you honestly think that if coke stopped advertising people would forget about them. They literally own the soft drink market.

TCX69K

Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:53 pm

Quote:
Virgin Atlantic doesn't, AFAIK, unless it's only on the Gatwick fleet - I watch their aircraft come in and out of LHR all day and have never noticed a logo underneath. Also pretty sure CityJet don't either, their paint jobs are almost all-over white with just a small red strip on the rudder.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Anany Jain

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © William Verguet

Yes they do..

Type-Rated

Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:38 pm

Quoting poLOT (Reply 33):
The idea that US airlines don't paint their name/logo on the bottom of the fuselage because it is a security risk is laughable.

I totally agree, it's part of the 9/11 hysteria. When I told the F/A you could see the number painted on the side of the aircraft from the gate she said that we weren't supposed to look at it. Then she told me to return to my seat and not to get up for the remainder of the flight.
I thought that by giving her my business card and seeing that I am working for an aviation enterprise that may calm her down.
She took the card back to the galley and then came back with "What is this card saying? What do you want the pilot to do with this aircraft? Where do you want the pilot to take you?" It's a business card for Christ's sake! I told her to take it to the captain and he would explain it to her.
About 30 minutes later she came back with a new attitude. She asked me what I would like to drink. I told her Bacardi & coke and before I knew it two of them were on my tray. The F/A said "These are courtesy of our Captain". So I guess he settled her down.
A week later, I flew the same flight in the opposite direction and at the gate the agent told me "Mr. XXX, we are giving you a nice seat this trip." I had been upgraded to first. Then when I boarded the aircraft I found that I had the same crew! At the door to the aircraft the same F/A said "Oh my goodness, not you again!" and laughed. I kind of laughed with her.

I always wondered if the upgrade had anything to do with the incident a week before.....
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

Maverick623

Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:36 pm

At San Antonio Airport on their city code or airport ordinance page it says that recording tail numbers is illegal there.

Completely unenforceable.

Quoting bucchinij (Reply 27):
As far as N number security, ask the crew to see the airworthiness certificate next time you board.

In fact, it must be visible from the passenger cabin. Look up by the front lav, L1, or L2 door (depending on the airplane), and you will find it.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

citationjet

Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:19 pm

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 41):
Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 41):
Completely unenforceable.

Agree, especially when Flightaware lists the registration number of aircraft flying in and out of SAT.
http://flightaware.com/live/airport/KSAT
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,737,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773.

NASCARAirforce

Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:07 am

Quoting CapEd388 (Reply 20):
Are you serious? Why is that?

That is completely ridiculous, for them to actually go out of their way and say "to record reg. #s is illegal". Do they have the right to do this? Are they following some sort of FAA regulation or is this just something they are enforcing on their own?

I just don't get how knowing/asking/recording reg. #s is somehow a security risk. The airplanes have the Reg. # on their tail, visible for anyone to see.

What damage or risk is there in me knowing an aircraft's registration number?

And if it was truly illegal or a security risk, why does the FAA have a Registration Number look up page on their website. They provide all the information of all U.S. registered aircraft.

I think some people are just a little nutty. When i flew last year with G4 I asked the FA (on both trips) what the tail number of the aircraft was, and they gladly gave it to me.

I guess it just depends on the person.
Quoting SmittyOne (Reply 36):
I'd say good luck enforcing this now that the post-9/11 hysteria has worn off a bit.

Though by the wording I wonder if the intent is to stop industrial spies from tracking fleet movements from a competition standpoint rather than stop spotters/nerds from recording N#s.

Either way, are they saying you can't photograph aircraft if the N# is visible? Silly.

I think it is more for a "paparazzi" purpose as to not wanting you to look up famous people's planes at the FBOs. I think that more applies to the private aircraft that use Landmark Aviation at SAT rather than commercial aircraft. FBOs flip out when you get pictures of private aircraft because they belong to a high paying client. I never had a problem taking pictures of aircraft at TPA with the airport authority but when I went to the Jet Center FBO at TPA to get a picture of both the Detroit Redwings DC-9 (my favorite team) and the Iron Maiden 757 (my favorite band) the FBO was flipping out and threatening to call cops on people. There was no issue with me standing on the roof of the garage getting pictures of it landing though.

I had my MCO badge and I went to Signature at MCO to get a picture of the Qatar Royal A340-200. They said I could take a picture as LONG AS I DID NOT take a picture of the tail number.

Most flights that celebs fly on are chartered flights or registered to some bank, so if you looked them up on airport-data.com you probably wouldn't see which celeb flew them. A lot of the NASCAR planes are owned by the drivers and registered in their names though. Flightaware blocks a lot of them but yet you see a plane come in with the tail number N24JG (Jeff Gordon #24) and it is pretty obvious.

Viscount724

Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:23 am

Why do no U.S. operators do this?

There's no US FAA requirement to do this so why waste the money? Certain other countries require it.

Maverick623

Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:37 am

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 43):
FBOs flip out when you get pictures of private aircraft because they belong to a high paying client

Meh. Let them flip out... it's funny having people yell at you when you don't give a crap.

but when I went to the Jet Center FBO at TPA to get a picture of both the Detroit Redwings DC-9 (my favorite team) and the Iron Maiden 757 (my favorite band) the FBO was flipping out and threatening to call cops on people. There was no issue with me standing on the roof of the garage getting pictures of it landing though.

As long as you aren't on their property, they really can't do anything about you being there taking pictures.

I had my MCO badge and I went to Signature at MCO to get a picture of the Qatar Royal A340-200. They said I could take a picture as LONG AS I DID NOT take a picture of the tail number.

Rules are different for SIDA badge holders in SIDA areas, but there's nothing stopping anyone from taking a picture of anything from a public area.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

NASCARAirforce

Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:36 am

Related to this topic, I've noticed that many non-U.S. airlines have the aircraft's registry number painted on the underside of the wings, so that from below one can tell exactly what plane it is.Why is that, any why do no U.S. operators do this? Security again?

Even Canadian do that. I don't think British do, but most South/Central American and Carribean do as well as some European carriers like KLM.

I wish U.S. carriers would do it, would make it easier for some of my pictures that are taken from a 45 degree angle.

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 45):
As long as you aren't on their property, they really can't do anything about you being there taking pictures.

Well I was in the case of the TPA FBO - I took it from their parking lot. Either way I was snapping the pictures as the guy was screaming at me because he was on the other side of the fence.