tommy767
Topic Author

UA's McDonald: No More A/C Retirements For 2012

Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:13 pm

From Flyertalk. No more aircraft retirements for the rest of this year, longer 757 boarding times. Leases will be extended on aircraft that were supposed to be returned (757 and 735.) Also an interesting 45 minute block time boarding process created for 757s.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-year-longer-757-board-times.html

1.More spare aircraft – we are increasing spare capability in our 747, 757 and Airbus fleets, including extending leases for aircraft that were scheduled to be returned. In mid-July, we will add a 777 IPTE-configured spare specifically for routes where we fly that aircraft. In August, we plan to free up a 767.
2.More maintenance resources – we are adding more than 200 mechanics and freed up more than 500 hours of technician time per day to focus on preventive maintenance and reducing the number of out-of-service aircraft. In addition, we are working together to route planes to increase maintenance “touch time” by overnighting aircraft at hubs with the right maintenance capability. We expect this will reduce the need for aircraft swaps and the related customer impact.
3.More time in crew schedules – we added 15 to 30 minutes for connection times in select pilot and flight attendant crew lines for the August schedule to reduce crew connection delays.
4.More time and focus for on-time departures – we are adding block time in both our international and domestic schedules and adjusting ground times. Airport Operations is implementing a number of “quick win” actions to speed both departure and arrival handling, including agents working closely with flight attendants to manage carry-on baggage. On subsidiary UA 757s, we previously increased our boarding time from 30 to 45 minutes in recognition of typically longer boarding on that aircraft.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

eaglepower83

RE: UA's McDonald: No More A/C Retirements For 2012

Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:24 pm

I think it's interesting how they have had to increase 757 board times.
In the past I don't think I ever remember it taking the entire 30min to board a UA 757.

It seems like it's a symptom of something inherently broken at the new UA. Ever since Jan '12, not a single one of my UA flights have left on time.
Prior to Jan '12, when weather was not involved, almost all my flights arrived early, or at least on time. 45min connections at hubs were a no sweat usually. Now they're impossible.

I don't want to rag on this company and pile on......but gate agents do seem to work MUCH harder than they used to.
Also, their new boarding process is NOT as smooth as the old Zone system of Window/Middle/Aisle.
I had a window seat last week and they put me in Group 7, so when I boarded I had to have both people get up, block the aisle and let me into my seat. Very wasteful.

I hope these initiatves help plug the holes in this sinking ship.

tommy767
Topic Author

Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:30 pm

Last PMUA flight I was on going from EWR to LAX the f/a's were rushing people to their seats on the 757. It's amazing how much dicking around some people do during the boarding process. I was in the last row of the plane, and when I got on some guy (think Jersey shore type) was on his f-ing cell phone in my row chatting away in my seat. When I told him to move he said (basically forcing him to the window seat) he said "I ain't going in there". Then I told him to get out and take his phone convo into the galley.

This rule I'm sure has more to do with people acting like idiots during boarding.

Quoting EaglePower83 (Reply 1):
I don't want to rag on this company and pile on......but gate agents do seem to work MUCH harder than they used to.

Indeed they do.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

ua767400

Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:42 pm

I flew a PMUA 752 IAH-DEN Friday and we started boarding at 6:10 and we were done at 6:35 but we left the gate a few mins late as we were waiting for a few other passengers from connecting flights.

FI642

Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:43 pm

Gate agents are doing more with less. Where there were two there are one now. Last week I watched
a Delta gate agent run like mad, fixing passport stuff, dealing with people leaving bags lay around and
wandering off (computers), passengers asking about offline connections in Europe, then gate checking
and boarding.

I fully understand keeping costs down, but that can be a formula for a serious problem.
737MAX, Cool Planes for the Worlds Coolest Airline.

tommy767
Topic Author

Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:06 pm

The other piece is how those 5ish 757 that were going to be returned are now going to stay. I think this is good news as many thought the mass exodus of the 757 being taken over by the 739 was bound to happen.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

eaglepower83

Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:12 pm

Here's a further datapoint.

I had to fly BDL-IAD-ORD for Xmas 2011.
My flight to ORD was cancelled due to MX.
Luckily I bought a Red Carpet Club "day pass" (before they were one TIME passes).

I told the lady at the desk what happened and within 2 minutes, she had me on a new flight from DCA-ORD and a taxi voucher.

Last week, I had to go PVD-IAD-ORD.
My PVD flight was delayed due to "systems issues" (whatever that means).
That brought me to IAD within 20min of my IAD-ORD departure.
So I wanted a "protection flight" in case I missed the connection. That took 20min on the phone and another 20min for the gate agent to "verifty it" and add hotel notes to my reservation.
The poor lady was SO helpful but she said since March it's been such an upward hill to help people like she used to.
I RAN like the dickins from A gates to C gates.
The flight was closed, but the awesome PMUA agent checked with the Purser, and she let me on! (My 1 good experience since 3/3).

I'll always foregive weather stuff, because I like how the company values our safety in weather.
But there's so much "systems" drama now. Nothing ever works out like it used to. It's getting hard to deal with.

[Edited 2012-07-09 08:14:24]

FlyHossD

Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:15 pm

Quoting FI642 (Reply 4):
Gate agents are doing more with less. Where there were two there are one now.
.but gate agents do seem to work MUCH harder than they used to.

I've had L-UA CSAs tell me that SHARES takes 4 times as many keystrokes to process a passenger as the previous system, while the company reduced CSA staffing at the same time! Brilliant!!!

Sure, it's prudent for a company - any company - to reduce expenses, but at UA, the bean-counters are running amok and unchecked (IMHO) and this (my point) is a good example of that.

Penny wise and pound foolish.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

Flighty

Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:18 pm

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 2):
It's amazing how much dicking around some people do during the boarding process.

If each person blocks the line for 1 minute, the flight will be 150 minutes late.   

CALMSP

Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:38 pm

Quoting flyhossd (Reply 7):

If it was clearly such a problem with an extra key-stroke, then sCO would have run nothing but delays. But we know that is not the case.

lhcvg

Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:53 pm

I've had L-UA CSAs tell me that SHARES takes 4 times as many keystrokes to process a passenger as the previous system, while the company reduced CSA staffing at the same time! Brilliant!!!

Sure, it's prudent for a company - any company - to reduce expenses, but at UA, the bean-counters are running amok and unchecked (IMHO) and this (my point) is a good example of that.

Penny wise and pound foolish.

I also seem to remember reading on FT that they've even had to have sCO people attached to sUA gates to offer real-time assistance with SHARES foulups -- not helping expedite boarding or processing of issues but just offering SHARES advice. More wasted time, money, and effort!

tommy767
Topic Author

Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:11 pm

Quoting CALMSP (Reply 9):

sCO employees had years of experience of working a more complicated reservation system. sUA had a better system with less keystrokes.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

avek00

Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:33 pm

The real issue here is that subsidiary United's birds are in pretty crappy condition due to years of old United cost-cutting on maintenance, and when their utilization was brought up to sCO levels, their planes mech'd bigtime. New United is waving the white flag for now, going back to old United utilization levels, until the added mx prowess can rehab these birds into being utilized at more competitive levels.
Live life to the fullest.

tommy767
Topic Author

Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:39 pm

Quoting avek00 (Reply 12):

I don't think it has anything to do with this at all. You do realize that many of the PMUA A319/A320 and PMCO 738/73G were delivered around the same time frame, correct?

Might have something MORE to do with the crossfleeting -- sending sCO and sUA planes to PMCO and PMUA hubs and if there is a break down, well, you could be s*** out of luck.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

The777Man

Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:30 pm

45 minute boarding time for 757s is nothing new; it's been going on for about two months at least.

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

drerx7

Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:11 pm

Also, their new boarding process is NOT as smooth as the old Zone system of Window/Middle/Aisle.
I had a window seat last week and they put me in Group 7, so when I boarded I had to have both people get up, block the aisle and let me into my seat. Very wasteful.

I think this is common, every time I am in group 7 I'm in a window seat behind the wing. Its absolutely rediculous because the seat mates have to get up and waste time. Its like a complicator machine...the debacler if you will.

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 5):
I think this is good news as many thought the mass exodus of the 757 being taken over by the 739 was bound to happen.

I'm glad they'll be around - I enjoy flying the 75.
Third Coast born, means I'm Texas raised

slider

Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:51 pm

The real issue here is that subsidiary United's birds are in pretty crappy condition due to years of old United cost-cutting on maintenance, and when their utilization was brought up to sCO levels, their planes mech'd bigtime. New United is waving the white flag for now, going back to old United utilization levels, until the added mx prowess can rehab these birds into being utilized at more competitive levels.

Bingo.

Your statement is also borne out by the controllable completion numbers for what were PMCO/PMUA before reporting was consolidated. There was a substantial chasm in completion factor between the two entities.

STT757

Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:02 pm

Quoting tommy767 (Thread starter):
2.More maintenance resources – we are adding more than 200 mechanics and freed up more than 500 hours of technician time per day to focus on preventive maintenance and reducing the number of out-of-service aircraft. In addition, we are working together to route planes to increase maintenance “touch time” by overnighting aircraft at hubs with the right maintenance capability. We expect this will reduce the need for aircraft swaps and the related customer impact.

One of the areas they are probably referring to is the PS fleet, they overnight several at JFK. Those aircraft should hop over to EWR in the evening for maintenance and then hop back in the morning for departure. Kind of like they shuttle aircraft from IAH to HOU for maintenance.

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 11):
sUA had a better system with less keystrokes.

I can take that from someone who has actually worked on the system, not someone who is repeating something they read someone say about the system. Have you even worked for an airline?

The real issue here is that subsidiary United's birds are in pretty crappy condition due to years of old United cost-cutting on maintenance,
Quoting tommy767 (Reply 13):

I don't think it has anything to do with this at all.

Ask our resident CALTECH who works MCO maintenance, the sUA 757s were in terrible shape. Also age is nothing, sUA has neglected their fleet. One of the legacies of Gordon Bethune was a robust maintenance program at CO, his experience was as an airline mechanic. During his tenure CO built several brand new maintenance facilities at EWR, IAH and HNL as well as expanding other facilities like MCO. And now that is carrying over to the "new" UA, all these years of the UA hub at IAD and they never built any maintenance facilities. Until the merger, now they are building a new hangar at IAD as well as a fifth at EWR.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

STT757

Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:11 pm

as many thought the mass exodus of the 757 being taken over by the 739 was bound to happen.

They are leaving, UA is going to announce on Thursday an order for 100 737NG/MAX, plus 100 options. That's not all growth.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/3610...s-737-max-a320-neo-farnborough.htm

tommy767
Topic Author

Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:18 pm

Quoting STT757 (Reply 17):
Ask our resident CALTECH who works MCO maintenance, the sUA 757s were in terrible shape. Also age is nothing, sUA has neglected their fleet.

STT, that's some BS. One users opinion that they were crap? The UA 757s weren't falling out of the sky before UA and CO merged. What do you call the MX base at SFO? Chopped liver? Unethical MX practices?

I can take that from someone who has actually worked on the system, not someone who is repeating something they read someone say about the system. Have you even worked for an airline?

Common knowledge that SHARES requires more keystrokes than APOLLO. SHARES also didn't have fastair, something that many GA's would kill to have now.

Quoting STT757 (Reply 18):

but they aren't returning aircraft this year. Key phrasing -- "extending" leases of aircraft that were to be returned..
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

rcair1
Crew

Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:22 pm

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 2):
Last PMUA flight I was on going from EWR to LAX the f/a's were rushing people to their seats on the 757. It's amazing how much dicking around some people do during the boarding process.

I also think the preponderance of massive carry-on's is causing an issue. I have to go hunting for a spot for my small (way small) carry-on.
rcair1

STT757

Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:25 pm

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 19):
BS. One users opinion that they were crap?

He works on them, something neither you nor I can claim. Perhaps you can PM him for specifics, and then decide. Otherwise he has been pretty consistent about what he's seeing in MCO.

Common knowledge that SHARES requires more keystrokes than APOLLO. SHARES also didn't have fastair, something that many GA's would kill to have now.

Common knowledge amongst people who have never worked in the airline industry?

lhcvg

Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:28 pm

STT, that's some BS. One users opinion that they were crap? The UA 757s weren't falling out of the sky before UA and CO merged. What do you call the MX base at SFO? Chopped liver? Unethical MX practices?

Indeed. I believe UA mx at SFO just won some award or certification (maybe it was a recertification) FWIW. They scrimped on a few things, but the big areas were deliveries (AFAIK none since 2002 at PMUA), cabin/interior refurbs on domestic birds, and repainting. Not being an employee that's all I know from the outside; if you (STT) have material knowledge of mx issues then I'd be interested to see your evidence.

tommy767
Topic Author

Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:31 pm

Quoting rcair1 (Reply 20):
also think the preponderance of massive carry-on's is causing an issue. I have to go hunting for a spot for my small (way small) carry-on.

Always. Usually 4-5 rows away from the seat, in most cases. This includes the fact that I can preboard as a group 5 premier lane CC holder.

Quoting STT757 (Reply 21):
He works on them, something neither you nor I can claim. Perhaps you can PM him for specifics, and then decide. Otherwise he has been pretty consistent about what he's seeing in MCO.

I think we can agree that both MX bases are highly skilled. I don't think you have the right to say that all PMUA 757s were maintaned like garbage since they were in constant short haul work horse mode and weren't getting into accidents.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

CALMSP

Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:32 pm

thats my point. having the experience or learning it. The attitude of some sUA agents is not wanting to learn a new system. We open international stations and many of those agents catch on right away.........with 1 flight a day of work. Doing a shift 5 days a week, 8 hours a day, after 4 months should have you in pretty good hsape.

N62NA

Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:38 pm

...we are adding block time in both our international and domestic schedules and adjusting ground times

So now the schedules will say that it takes 4 hours to fly EWR-MIA??? Ridiculous.

tommy767
Topic Author

Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:42 pm

Quoting CALMSP (Reply 24):

didn't they only have DAYS of limited training?

It's not attitude, it's lack of communication from corporate. Same old song.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

platinumfoota

Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:51 pm

longer 757 boarding times

This also helps out below the wing. PMCO 757 only have a cargo loading systems in their 300's. This means you need more manpower to load these aircraft, manpower some stations dont have.
Never forget United 93

drerx7

Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:53 pm

STT, that's some BS. One users opinion that they were crap?

Yea, on this one I actually am going to have to go with CALTECH on this - the accuracy of his post over the years and consistancy of them lends great credibility...I hold his statements in high regard. I have no reason to doubt them.

CALMSP

Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:54 pm

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 26):

i can't quote specifically on teh amount of training, but whether or not anyone believes it, the company didnt give a one-day learning session. Need to give some credit.

windy95

Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:55 pm

I think it's interesting how they have had to increase 757 board times

sUAL 757's only.

Bingo. The sUAL 757 fleet was in terrible shape.

Quoting slider (Reply 16):
There was a substantial chasm in completion factor between the two entities.

Correct.

Ask our resident CALTECH who works MCO maintenance, the sUA 757s were in terrible shape

Yes they where and still are.

Quoting STT757 (Reply 18):
as many thought the mass exodus of the 757 being taken over by the 739 was bound to happen.

They are leaving, UA is going to announce on Thursday an order for 100 737NG/MAX, plus 100 options. That's not all growth

Cannot happen fast enough.

The UA 757s weren't falling out of the sky before UA and CO merged

But their MX delay rate was and still is worse. And the interiors on many are an embarrassment due to sUAL's years of cost cutting.

but they aren't returning aircraft this year. Key phrasing -- "extending" leases of aircraft that were to be returned..

Due to the bad on time performance they need to keep more for spares.

Quoting LHCVG (Reply 22):
They scrimped on a few things,

They scrimped on a bunch.

IAHFLYR

Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:48 pm

Quoting drerx7 (Reply 28):
on this one I actually am going to have to go with CALTECH on this - the accuracy of his post over the years and consistancy of them lends great credibility...I hold his statements in high regard. I have no reason to doubt them

I will also going to go with CALTECH, he is in the trenches whether or not you like it Tommy, he's there.

The UA 757s weren't falling out of the sky before UA

They don't have to be falling from the sky to be in terrible shape. Also quite a few of the PMUA Seven Fives are still without GPS, so they need to be upgraded to a more current navigation system.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

STT757

Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:56 pm

Quoting LHCVG (Reply 22):
if you (STT) have material knowledge of mx issues then I'd be interested to see your evidence.

Please refer to our resident sCO maintenance person, CALTECH, and his numerous insightful posts (including photos). This whole longer boarding times, only for sUA 757s, and stopping sUA 757 retirements in order to have spares is to address their poor dispatch reliability issues. Which is why this does not effect the sCO 757 fleet.

Please lets all not make this emotional, I have no belief whatsoever that the sUA 757s are unsafe nor is anyone here inferring that. Are the sUA 757s unreliable, apparently yes given these latest actions by UA. Unsafe no! In fact I've been flying more often in sUA 757s since the merger than I have on any of sCO's aircraft. I've flown the PS flights JFK-SFO-LAX-JFK as well as a regular sUA 757s EWR-DEN. And in about a month my Wife and I will be flying sUA 757s again, PS 757s JFK-SFO, sUA domestic (ETOPS) 757 LIH-LAX and LAX-JFK PS.

I would never put my Wife and I on a plane or airline I felt unsafe, so lets drop that notion. This is about dispatch reliability, not air worthiness.

lhcvg

Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:04 pm

Quoting STT757 (Reply 32):
Please lets all not make this emotional, I have no belief whatsoever that the sUA 757s are unsafe nor is anyone here inferring that. Are the sUA 757s unreliable, apparently yes given these latest actions by UA. Unsafe no! In fact I've been flying more often in sUA 757s since the merger than I have on any of sCO's aircraft. I've flown the PS flights JFK-SFO-LAX-JFK as well as a regular sUA 757s EWR-DEN. And in about a month my Wife and I will be flying sUA 757s again, PS 757s JFK-SFO, sUA domestic (ETOPS) 757 LIH-LAX and LAX-JFK PS.I would never put my Wife and I on a plane or airline I felt unsafe, so lets drop that notion. This is about dispatch reliability, not air worthiness.

That's absolutely what I'm getting at - let's not spread talk making it sound as if UA is bad and has unsafe planes. They simply made business decisions that I wouldn't personally make, nor do I agree with, but I understand and accept that. I'm the last person who needs convincing of their woes in that department, but I wanted to bring it out if there were accusations of seriously deficient mx.

STT757

Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:09 pm

Quoting LHCVG (Reply 33):
That's absolutely what I'm getting at - let's not spread talk making it sound as if UA is bad and has unsafe planes.

I agree, this is about not having an aircraft going tech at the gate.

AADC10

Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:19 pm

I am surprised that they are extending the leases on the 735s. At one point, they were considering their immediate retirement but lower oil prices and rising fares must have convinced UA to keep them for a while. The lease rates on the 735s were probably cheap too.

I have also heard from UA CSRs that there have been a lot of mechanical delays. I hope better maintenance and more slack in turnaround time reduces this problem.

BCEaglesCO757

Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:41 am

One of the legacies of Gordon Bethune was a robust maintenance program at CO, his experience was as an airline mechanic. During his tenure CO built several brand new maintenance facilities at EWR, IAH and HNL as well as expanding other facilities like MCO.

To this very day as he was at CO Bethune holds an A&P along with his ATP and flew a great deal of our new aircraft Left seat from SEA himself.

Very proud to have worked under Bethune while he was here. The man was more than a suit. He knew the in's and out's of the planes and company.

BCEaglesCO757

Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:52 am

sUA had a better system with less keystrokes.

Quoting STT757 (Reply 21):
BS. One users opinion that they were crap?

I can assure you CALTECH knows what he is talking about. The guys down in MCO are pretty good.

" I'll take CALTECHS opinion over flyertalk for $1000 Alex. "

sulley

Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:25 am

I gotta pile on here as well.

It'd be great if SFO did all the work on the sUA 75's -- but if you really knew UA, you'd know most of the work has been done at PEMCO in TPA for ages...  

Outsourcing strikes again!
In thrust we trust!

JAAlbert

Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:44 am

I hear this recited all the time, but I never see any discussion with facts supporting the statement. (So here I go with no actual facts, but my own anecdotal experience!)

I had two recent nightmare flights on UA from SFO to BOS and return. I got the sense from the gate agents to the flight attendants and the pilots that UA was having a terrifically difficult time integrating post merger. The system double booked seats, the catering truck hadn't been scheduled, the pilot and co-pilot arrived after most of the passengers who could find seats were seated, and after all that, the plane was still held because connecting passengers were arriving late from other flights. Through it all, the staff tried to give as much information as possible and do what they could to figure things out - but the look of stress on their faces was evident. And the commotion!

I have to say, I sent a complaint to UA via email when the seat I booked in the premium economy section was taken. I didn't really expect a reply, but a few days later I did receive an apology and a ticket voucher worth much more than the amount I spent to upgrade from economy. It made me feel like somebody cared.

But again, I don't think the management realized how daunting this merger would be.

STT757

Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:07 pm

Quoting Sulley (Reply 38):
It'd be great if SFO did all the work on the sUA 75's -- but if you really knew UA, you'd know most of the work has been done at PEMCO in TPA for ages...

Outsourcing strikes again!

Bingo, more work needs to brought back in house (especially on the sUA side). The closing of the Indy facility is really a big reason for the dramatic increase in outsourcing at sUA and the current reliability issues. It's a shame because the much larger new UA can definitely use a facility like sUA built at IND.

Perhaps MCO could one day be expanded and modernized to replicate what UA had built at IND. The UA IND maintenance base opened in 1994, one of the alternate sights they were looking at was MCO.

tommy767
Topic Author

Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:23 pm

Quoting BCEaglesCO757 (Reply 36):

What does gordo have to do with this thread?
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

IAHFLYR

Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:34 pm

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 41):
What does gordo have to do with this thread?

Read the posts and find out!

What is it with you and all the anti everything related to CO? Did you get fired from CO at one time or what?

Quoting Sulley (Reply 38):
you'd know most of the work has been done at PEMCO in TPA for ages...

Did the PEMCO in GSO ever get any sUA work?
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

CALTECH

Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:25 pm

Quoting STT757 (Reply 40):
Bingo, more work needs to brought back in house (especially on the sUA side). The closing of the Indy facility is really a big reason for the dramatic increase in outsourcing at sUA and the current reliability issues. It's a shame because the much larger new UA can definitely use a facility like sUA built at IND.

IND was state of the art, still would be today.

Quoting STT757 (Reply 40):
Perhaps MCO could one day be expanded and modernized to replicate what UA had built at IND. The UA IND maintenance base opened in 1994, one of the alternate sights they were looking at was MCO.

One could hope. Though MCOMX works out of old United States Air Force B-52/KC-135 hangars, besides the terminals.

Quoting IAHFLYR (Reply 42):

What is it with you and all the anti everything related to CO? Did you get fired from CO at one time or what?

Could have been deemed unfit to hire, or failed the initial interview. That attitude is really old and tiresome.

re·pet·i·tive/riˈpetətiv/
Adjective: Containing or characterized by repetition, esp. when unnecessary or tiresome.
UNITED We Stand

tommy767
Topic Author

Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:49 pm

Quoting CALTECH (Reply 43):
Could have been deemed unfit to hire, or failed the initial interview. That attitude is really old and tiresome.

No I don't work for the airlines. Growing up near a CO hub, I just didn't care for the CO way of doing things. I thought they were overrated and completely ass kissed by many on this forum (and yet it still continues.) So I don't think that makes me a retard, per say, does it?

Quoting IAHFLYR (Reply 42):

The content of the thread initially had nothing to do with Bethune or Continental. And still, the beat down received related to UA's MX practices categorized as inferior to CO's is laughable.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

sulley

Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:57 pm

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 44):
No I don't work for the airlines. Growing up near a CO hub, I just didn't care for the CO way of doing things. I thought they were overrated and completely ass kissed by many on this forum (and yet it still continues.) So I don't think that makes me a retard, per say, does it?

No, but you're on a one man crusade tilting at windmills.

[Edited 2012-07-10 10:58:19]
In thrust we trust!

drerx7

Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:05 pm

I thought they were overrated and completely ass kissed by many on this forum (and yet it still continues.) So I don't think that makes me a retard, per say, does it?

Well, I don't know about me personally kissing CO ass. All I can say is I'm a Houstonian, and I didn't start flying Continental religiously until 1994, prior to that I was pro-Delta and Southwest, CO had a consistent very good product. I rarely had issues with them and the service was always better in my experience. I flew United frequently prior to that as well, I never thought they were as bad as some say - but I will say that the airplanes that I have flown on that were in the most deplorable conditions were on United. Not many of them, but the 3-4 of them that there were, were in horrible shape. Filthy and tattered. Now its been documented ad noseum the budgets that UA reduced during their troublesome financial period, and all that validates the points in this thread. UA's mx program, while it maintained airworthiness, was not as robust as COs. The fact that they are having to make these changes to compensate for the mech delays is evidence of that.

The content of the thread initially had nothing to do with Bethune or Continental

Well, the point was made showing that Bethune was a hands on CEO - nuts and bolts kind of guy. I met him myself as I did an internship at Smith Street when I was in college under the V.P. of State & Civic Affairs. The type of operation CO was back then was top notch - it is what it is. The new UA...just lacks the human element that CO use to have. Opinions are like a$$holes - eveyone has one...but fact is fact especially in regards to this mx debate.

IAHFLYR

Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:12 pm

Quoting drerx7 (Reply 46):
Well, I don't know about me personally kissing CO ass. All I can say is I'm a Houstonian, and I didn't start flying Continental religiously until 1994, prior to that I was pro-Delta and Southwest, CO had a consistent very good product. I rarely had issues with them and the service was always better in my experience.

I completely agree however; my CO days go back to the late 80's when it was basically a crap shoot if you'd have a plan at the gate let alone get to the place you booked the ticket. Much improved since the "Worst to First".

I will say I've flown on a few UA A320's in the last month and found them to be in very good condition with comfortable seats and good service.

Quoting windy95 (Reply 47):
But your views on CAL and UAL are based on what? Living near a hub or what you have read on airline forums?

We have a winner!!!!   

The content of the thread initially had nothing to do with Bethune or Continental

Actually if you read your original post I believe you mention B735 which are sCo aircraft as sUA had parked their B735's years ago.

IAHWorldflyer

Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:57 am

Bringing this thread back to topic...does this mean they will suspend retiring the rest of the 762 fleet as well? IIRC, there are still about 5 left in service.

SonomaFlyer

Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:25 am

Quoting iahworldflyer (Reply 49):

Bringing this thread back to topic...does this mean they will suspend retiring the rest of the 762 fleet as well? IIRC, there are still about 5 left in service.

Given the small size of this (sub)fleet and the CASM issues, I don't see them keeping the 762's. The leases they are holding on to/adding spares for are for their main fleet types (757, 777, 747).