redrooster3
Topic Author

John Leahy And Fabrice Brégier Tour QR's 787

Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:51 am

Source

John Leahy, known for being head of Airbus Salesman and Fabrice Brégier CEO of Airbus both toured Qatar's new 787 and Boeing's new "baby." It was an offer they couldn't refuse.

Here is what John had to say:

Quote:
"The interior is lovely," Leahy responded. "It's the same interior we'll put in my A350. Except this is a little bit smaller."
The only thing you should change about a woman is her last name.

Confuscius

RE: John Leahy And Fabrice Brégier Tour QR's 787

Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:04 am

Quoting redrooster3 (Thread starter):
"It's the same interior we'll put in my A350. Except this is a little bit smaller."

After the comment...

Here's John Leahy getting kicked out of the plane. He's stepping off the right catering door.   ...

[Edited 2012-07-12 21:10:16]
Ain't I a stinker?

Stitch

Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:09 am

Classic Leahy.      

CapEd388

Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:10 am

Wow this is interesting, thats something i never thought I would see, Airbus people coming out of a Boeing airplane lol.

Well Im a little surprised at Leahy's remark. Its actually a very civil and nice remark. Being Leahy, I expected him to say a lot worse regarding the 787.
388 346 77W 787

zeke

Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:26 am

Quoting CapEd388 (Reply 3):
Wow this is interesting, thats something i never thought I would see, Airbus people coming out of a Boeing airplane lol.

They do it on a daily basis, likewise Boeing people are on Airbus manufactured aircraft daily. These are large corporations, they fly commercial carriers, and they will fly on everything from RJs to A380s. I would not be surprised if JL flew on a 737 to get the show, likewise I would not be surprised if some of the Boeing people flew on A330s or A340s.
We are addicted to our thoughts. We cannot change anything if we cannot change our thinking – Santosh Kalwar

DocLightning

Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:29 am

Quoting zeke (Reply 4):
I would not be surprised if JL flew on a 737 to get the show, likewise I would not be surprised if some of the Boeing people flew on A330s or A340s.

And, besides, of course they pick over each-other's designs. They might learn something. If they can tweak it just enough to avoid patent infringement...
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

CapEd388

Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:37 am

Quoting zeke (Reply 4):

I know that. Im sure that they are always checking out each other aircraft.

What I meant is seeing a top Airbus salesman and Airbus' CEO touring their rival's aircraft at an international air show in such a public way.

It obviously is unique, if not there wouldn't be a little story on it.
388 346 77W 787

redrooster3
Topic Author

Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:48 am

Well Im a little surprised at Leahy's remark. Its actually a very civil and nice remark. Being Leahy, I expected him to say a lot worse regarding the 787.

Yeah, I was guessing something more negative. But what can be said negative about it? QR's 787 is beautiful.

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 1):
Here's John Leahy getting kicked out of the plane. He's stepping off the right catering door.

Getting ideas for their A350?   
The only thing you should change about a woman is her last name.

Revelation

Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:53 am

Quote:
"The interior is lovely," Leahy responded. "It's the same interior we'll put in my A350. Except this is a little bit smaller."

Why am I not surprised that Leahy would make a "mine is bigger" comment?         
Inspiration, move me brightly! Light the song with sense and color.
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
Faced with mysteries dark and vast, statements just seem vain at last.
Some rise, some fall, some climb, to get to Terrapin!

akelley728

Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:55 am

But noticed he made a comment about the 787's interior, which for the most part (seats, etc.) are not made by Boeing. He didn't actually make a comment about the 787 itself.

zeke

Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:01 am

Quoting CapEd388 (Reply 6):

It obviously is unique, if not there wouldn't be a little story on it.

For the 787 yes, but by no means the first time this has happened, bit like trying to suggest that no one from Boeing has even been on an A380 at a show. I have seen this myself a number of time in the biz jet ramp, you see people from different manufacturers have a look around at what is available.
We are addicted to our thoughts. We cannot change anything if we cannot change our thinking – Santosh Kalwar

CapEd388

Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:28 am

Quoting zeke (Reply 10):

Once again, im aware of that. What i am saying is having KEY / TOP people from Airbus/Boeing touring their rival's aircraft. I don't think I recall McNerney taking a tour of the A380 or other Airbus products etc. ( although I could be wrong)

I know that lower rank Boeing employees have toured Airbus products and vice versa, but its different when its the leaders / top executives of the company.

Again I know Boeing/Airbus employees check out each others aircraft.

But these are not just some average Airbus employees, in this case, its the top salesperson and the CEO, its a little different.
388 346 77W 787

BlueSky1976

Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:55 am

Quoting CapEd388 (Reply 11):
I don't think I recall McNerney taking a tour of the A380 or other Airbus products etc. ( although I could be wrong)

Randy Baseler took a tour of A380 at Paris some years ago. Same for Leahy and the 777W. And for Baseler and the A340-600.

It happens all the time at any major event. One just has to remember these events.
POLAND IS UNDER DICTATORSHIP. PLEASE SUPPORT COMMITTEE FOR DEFENSE OF DEMOCRACY, K.O.D.

757gb

Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:04 am

Interesting... I wonder how he felt after being inside a "Chinese copy of an A-330" (some of us don't forget...)
God is The Alpha and The Omega. We come from God. We go towards God. What an Amazing Journey...

CapEd388

Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:13 am

Quoting BlueSky1976 (Reply 12):
Randy Baseler took a tour of A380 at Paris some years ago. Same for Leahy and the 777W. And for Baseler and the A340-600.

I stand corrected.

It still very interesting though, when rivals check out each others products.
388 346 77W 787

zeke

Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:34 am

Quoting CapEd388 (Reply 14):

It still very interesting though, when rivals check out each others products.

I think the industry wears people down over time, to stay in it as long as those sort of people, I think people need to be an aviation nut. Aviation nuts like new aircraft, regardless of who makes them.

I would rather be in the crowd at an airshow any day over sitting on a tropical beach.

Confuscius

Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:40 am

Quoting 757gb (Reply 13):
nteresting... I wonder how he felt after being inside a "Chinese copy of an A-330" (some of us don't forget...)

...or "putting the flight crew in the overhead bins." IIRC, he did the same with the A350.  
Quoting CapEd388 (Reply 11):
But these are not just some average Airbus employees, in this case, its the top salesperson and the CEO, its a little different.

No real difference, except perhaps Boeing personnel took inventory after John Leahy left the plane.
Ain't I a stinker?

JoeCanuck

Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:42 am

It was a great move...at an Airshow where Airbus wasn't getting any huge news, JL and company get to look like great guys by doing a nice, polite tour of the other guy's aircraft and saying, (mostly), nice things about it.

Much like flying demos, this visit won't make a bit of difference to customers, but it's a nice bit of PR.
What the...?

CapEd388

Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:43 am

Quoting zeke (Reply 15):
I would rather be in the crowd at an airshow any day over sitting on a tropical beach.

I totally agree, I would choose the airshow as well lol.

Quoting zeke (Reply 15):
I think the industry wears people down over time, to stay in it as long as those sort of people, I think people need to be an aviation nut. Aviation nuts like new aircraft, regardless of who makes them.

Thats true. This is what makes me question my interest of going into the aviation industry. Im finishing up business school and sometimes I think about getting into the aviation field either with an airline, airport, manufacturer etc. I always think twice though. My biggest fear is that if i do work in the aviation field, that it might start to bore me and I might start to dislike it and that i wont find it as interesting.

Or it could go the other way as well, I could end up loving the industry even more.
388 346 77W 787

B777LRF

Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:46 am

I was visiting the Airbus factory last week. Airbus had 5 people on the inaugural LH B747-8I flight, scouting out the new machine. I would be very, very, surprised if they didn't have some people on the first ANA flight to FRA too, and I'd be equally surprised if Boeing didn't have people on the first A380 flight with SQ.
From receips and radials over straight pipes to big fans - been there, done that, got the hearing defects to prove

AirbusA6

Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:22 am

The really interesting bits on an aircraft are hidden away anyway!

JL could hardly criticise the interior, as the interior was specified by QR, one of Airbus's main clients...
it's the bus to stansted (now renamed National Express a6 to ruin my username)

Unflug

Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:32 am

Quoting Revelation (Reply 8):

Ever heard anything about "sense of humour"? I wasn't there, but I'm sure everyone was laughing at that comment.

ghifty

Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:52 am

Quoting Unflug (Reply 21):
Ever heard anything about "sense of humour"? I wasn't there, but I'm sure everyone was laughing at that comment.

Yes, I'm sure the people who kicked him off the plane "[were] laughing at that comment."  

[Edited 2012-07-13 01:53:16]
Fly Delta Jets

sweair

Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:01 am

I think its hard to say anything negative about the 787, it is such a big step forward in aviation technology. It wasn't easy to do it either. It is still a tube with wings but it has a lot of new stuff in it. I wonder how hard it will be the do the BWB if anyone dares to try.

flyingcello

Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:03 am

People,

Don't read too much into this...John Leahy and his Boeing counterparts are all grown ups. The idea of them showing off their products to each other has been around for a long time. Why wouldn't they? They can step on their rival's products any day of the week if they buy a ticket. I wouldn't be surprised if the Boeing and Airbus top brass met for a few glasses of wine some evening...while this is business, they are all in it together. No-one understands Airbus better than Boeing and vice-versa. Remember too that they co-operate on a heap of regulatory issues etc. sitting on industry bodies together. As for Leahy's "mine will be a bit bigger"...well. I would take that as a tongue in cheek remark that the Boeing guys will just laugh along with. We all know the A350 is a bit bigger than the 787...and the 777X will be a bit bigger again!

Some years back BMW and Mercedes were known for buying a job lot of the competitors new models, then tearing them apart to inspect. So when a new 3-series was launched, Mercedes would go an buy ten, just to see what they were made of. And vice-versa. Not sure if it still happens, but the story went that eventually they just started sending each other new models as a gift!

Amateur enthusiasts like to portray the Boeing - Airbus rivalry as some sort of war...it's not, it's just business! And the people involved are still human, they probably get along a lot better than we give them credit for.

oldeuropean

Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:25 am

Quoting ghifty (Reply 22):
Yes, I'm sure the people who kicked him off the plane "[were] laughing at that comment."

How do you come to the conclusion that he was kicked off the plane? Do you think the Boeing representatives were so childish like some commenters here are?  
Wer nichts weiss muss alles glauben

ghifty

Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:30 am

Leahy's comment is out of context..

Quoting oldeuropean (Reply 25):
How do you come to the conclusion that he was kicked off the plane?

Oops, sorry Thought that was in the article.. apparently not.

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 1):
Here's John Leahy getting kicked out of the plane.

^ threw me off  ashamed 

[Edited 2012-07-13 03:43:55]
Fly Delta Jets

LuisKMIA

Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:58 am

If I'm not mistaken, Mr. Leahy said the 787 was a copy of the A330 when Boeing formally announced development. But later he realized Boeing was serious, so he his company announced the A350. This competition is very healthy and keeps both corporations on their toes.

ferpe

Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:08 am

When you take your product to an airshow and open it up to the public you also open it up to the competitors. I have been working several times at Farnbourough and Le Bourget (but in the military aviation part), about 1/3 of the visitors are the competition. It is fun trowing word with them, you chit-chat politely, answer the most obvious questions and tries to lure the other to give a tid-bit that you didn't have in your puzzle (of course he does the same   ). It is a lot of fun, otherwise standing there the whole day and answering questions from a mostly non expert audience can get a bit boring, the true customers are mostly few and far apart.

I presume the QR 788 was open for public touring of the cabin on the day, JL and FB joined the que and were treated like any other visitors. I think the B people hosting the tour thought it fun and exciting and a big compliment that these guys were interested enough to spend their time looking at the best that B has instead of with other VIP assigments (be sure they had enough), I would have been. I would definitely have bragged about it to my customers the next day.

I would also have taken the compliment from JL and just discarded the snipped at the end. He was on record and just had to put in a caveat (otherwise Al Baker would have reminded him in their next meeting "Airbus still has to learn how to make aircraft, and I now see you are studying what Boeing can do for me "  .

[Edited 2012-07-13 04:15:26]
Non French in France

flipdewaf

Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:17 am

Either:
1. He is a complete tool who will do anything to gain one upmanship whilst trying to ut a downer on his fellow workers in the aviation business.
or
2. 2 mutually respecting companies who are in the same trade were able to look over and discuss what they probably both agree is a nice piece of engineering. Being from similar parts of the business they were likely able to share a joke.
or
3. John faught his way on weilding a large sword so tht he could inspec the layup techniques of the polymer fuselage and take spy photos so that airbus could steal all boeings ideas, he left with this quip because he thought it would make him sound like james bond.

I'll let you decide which is most likely.

Quoting FlyingCello (Reply 24):
John Leahy and his Boeing counterparts are all grown ups

Shame that can't be said of A.net.

Fred

scbriml

Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:17 am

Humour bypass?

Quoting ghifty (Reply 22):

Wait, you seriously think he was "kicked off"?

Randy Baseler took a tour of A380 at Paris some years ago. Same for Leahy and the 777W.

Yes, it was well documented. At the time Boeing had an A340 cross-section cut-out inside the 777's cabin to show it was wider than the A340. Oh wait, that would be Boeing making a comment about theirs being bigger. How's that for a Revelation?   
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

Flyglobal

Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:22 am

Being in Automotive:
Guys we are riding the competitors cars all the time, we tear them apart, analyze weight, cost and manufacturing process and we arr running them our development and durability procedures, crash them, take trhem to summer and winter testing ('death valley') etc.etc.

We have the competitors with us when making our buy off rides . This includes any executive and the CEO.

Internally with this benchmarking we speak out the truth and the opinion, identify strength and weakness of each area.

However our executives and any regular staff would never make negative comments bout competitors somewhere in public.
Somehow there is a 'we are in the same boat' attitude.
Sometimes the engineers share some of the others opinions etc.

The max you would here is something neutral: 'We follow a different philosophy here', 'our customers focus on xyz'.

So from that standpoint I would have never expected anything negative from either side to the other.
Randy should have welcomed John and Fabrice even on board and I believe he did if he was present, and could have even guided them through the plane.

This is the way you do among executives between competitors. Probably true for every branch.

regards

Flyglobal

[Edited 2012-07-13 04:24:47]

jfk777

Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:26 am

While this is a Boeing plane Qatar is also a Airbus customer so he can't say anything "bad " about the plane because a Qatar A350 would look the same.

shankly

Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:31 am

Quoting FlyingCello (Reply 24):
Some years back BMW and Mercedes were known for buying a job lot of the competitors new models, then tearing them apart to inspect. So when a new 3-series was launched, Mercedes would go an buy ten, just to see what they were made of. And vice-versa. Not sure if it still happens, but the story went that eventually they just started sending each other new models as a gift

Well Boeing took SIA's A340's as a trade-ins on their 777's so I doubt they sat there on the ramp without the Boeing boys being all over them.....wondering how they took off no doubt. One assumes the odd Boeing has gone the other way?

I think its quite nice that each company takes the time to publicly look over the others latest product....after all those guys just love planes
L1011 - P F M

smittyone

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:57 pm

Even the staunchest Boeing guy witnessing this in real time would have to be thinking "Well played, Mr. Leahy....well played."

I think his quip was clever and because it was so blatant it made light of itself. Which the best humor does.

There has got to be substantially more respect (and less animosity) between the actual professionals at A and B than between the fanboys on the internet.

KDAYflyer

Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:01 pm

Wow this is interesting, thats something i never thought I would see, Airbus people coming out of a Boeing airplane

Well, they had to learn how to make airplanes the right way from somebody   

[Edited 2012-07-13 06:12:11]

flightsimer

Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:08 pm

Airbus: Mines's wider than yours!
Boeing: Ya well we have the longest of them all!
Commercial Pilot- SEL, MEL, Instrument

TriniA340

Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:08 pm

I believe this touring of each other's aircraft at the end of an airshow is customary. Airbus & Boeing personnel do this at many airshows. It's no news really.
· longer · larger · farther · faster · higher · quieter · smoother ·

garpd

Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:38 pm

Much ado about nothing!

It was a friendly quip, nothing more. Move along!
arpdesign.wordpress.com

Tradewinds

Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:39 pm

Wow, if you think for a moment they would actually kick the CEO of Airbus off the plane for making a joke, you need to recalibrate your humor meter.
Tradewinds

mham001

Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:05 pm

Quoting Tradewinds (Reply 39):
Wow, if you think for a moment they would actually kick the CEO of Airbus off the plane for making a joke, you need to recalibrate your humor meter.

Actually, if you think that was not a joke, you need to recalibrate your own joke meter. Seems quite a few do in this thread.
Like many have said, competitors touring planes is nothing new, I'm pretty sure Old Randy blogged about his tour of the A380.

cheeken

Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:09 pm

Quoting flightsimer (Reply 36):
Airbus: Mines's wider than yours!
Boeing: Ya well we have the longest of them all!

You know, the saying goes "Some like it long but most like it thick"

Acheron

Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:14 pm

Quoting zeke (Reply 4):
They do it on a daily basis, likewise Boeing people are on Airbus manufactured aircraft daily. These are large corporations, they fly commercial carriers, and they will fly on everything from RJs to A380s.

Indeed, and they will always be interested in their competitors' airplanes for one reason or another. Usually petty remarks like "if its Boeing I ain't going" and the likes are limited to forums like this one and PR soundbites every now and then from Leahy and Tinseth, though thats part of their job.

CM

Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:04 pm

Quoting ferpe (Reply 28):
When you take your product to an airshow and open it up to the public you also open it up to the competitors.

Usually this is the case, although we do not always open static airplanes to the public. When we do, there certainly is no check at the door to see who is coming onboard.

Quoting ferpe (Reply 28):
I presume the QR 788 was open for public touring of the cabin on the day, JL and FB joined the que and were treated like any other visitors.

Generally speaking, high ranking people from competitor OEMs arrange for and receive a private tour. This will almost certainly be the case for JL on the 787. I once gave Louis Gallois a tour of a Boeing static display at PAS, and not only did we block a special time for him to come through, but Airbus security swept the plane with a dog before he came onboard. I'll add that Gallois was absolutely a class act. Very complimentary of the airplane and expressed great empathy for the struggles Boeing was going through at the time with completing 787 development. Even if it was just polite lip service, it was very hard not to like him because of his gracious manners - a true gentleman. I haven't met Tom Enders, but I get this same sense about him as well. JL is probably just too American to not be abrasive   

Quoting TriniA340 (Reply 37):
I believe this touring of each other's aircraft at the end of an airshow is customary.

It doesn't always work that way. I was once denied by JL when I asked if I could walk through the A330F at the FIDAE. Guess I should have asked Gallois!   

Quoting zeke (Reply 4):
I would not be surprised if JL flew on a 737 to get the show, likewise I would not be surprised if some of the Boeing people flew on A330s or A340s.

Two of the best routes into Europe from Seattle presently are on A330s - LH SEA-FRA and DL SEA-AMS. Although I'm guessing most Boeing people at the FAS took BA SEA-LHR, which is a 744. SK SEA-ARN on the A340 used to be great, but has sadly been terminated. I'm guessing Leahy departs CDG on AF 777s all the time.

Edit - spelling

[Edited 2012-07-13 09:06:28]

EPA001

Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:10 pm

Quoting CM (Reply 43):
Although I'm guessing most Boeing people at the FAS took BA SEA-LHR, which is a 744.

I would think most Boeing people would have travelled from ORD.  .

Stitch

Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:27 pm

Quoting EPA001 (Reply 44):
I would think most Boeing people would have travelled from ORD.  

Only the corporate executive team. Commercial would have left SEA and Defense would have left via STL. I expect Boeing has a policy that senior executives don't all travel on the same plane, but that would not preclude them from flying from SEA and STL to ORD and boarding different aircraft, I suppose.

EPA001

Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:44 pm

Quoting Stitch (Reply 45):
Only the corporate executive team. Commercial would have left SEA and Defense would have left via STL.

Thanks for your clarification.  

OldAeroGuy

Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:33 pm

Along with Alan Mullay.
Airplane design is easy, the difficulty is getting them to fly - Barnes Wallis

757gb

Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:33 pm

Quoting LuisKMIA (Reply 27):
If I'm not mistaken, Mr. Leahy said the 787 was a copy of the A330 when Boeing formally announced development. But later he realized Boeing was serious, so he his company announced the A350.

You are correct... in fact he said it was a "Chinese copy of an A-330" and that all that Airbus needed to do to compete was to hang the same engines under the wing of the A-330 and voila...

As it turned out, prospective customers were not happy at all about the A-350 being just a warmed over A-330 and Airbus went with the XWB.

I can understand what many people are saying about having a sense of humor and all, but I don't forget for a moment that JL's comments are always done with "effect" in mind. Maybe it was humor but he made sure it was heard and published in a very public forum. So what is going on around the world (and we are discussing here) are his comments and not necessarily the context (humorous or not). A PR professional like him knows very well how to predict effects like this, and I think he did it on purpose. That's what annoys me...
God is The Alpha and The Omega. We come from God. We go towards God. What an Amazing Journey...

glideslope

Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:58 pm

Quote:

"Imitation Is The Finest Form Of Flattery"   

[Edited 2012-07-13 11:58:41]
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.” Sun Tzu