kaitak
Topic Author

Irish 10/12: Sciathain Na HEireann

Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:46 am

Good morning everyone! Welcome to our tenth thread of the year, the title of which means "Wings of Ireland".

There's not an awful lot of news to report, but air traffic seems to be holding slightly, even if economic "growth" is still in negative territory. It was good to see last week's order for eight ATR72-600s at Farnborough; I can't remember the last time an Irish airline announced an order at a major air show.

On the policy front, we still await more information on the minister's proposals for Shannon Airport.

On the route front, United has just announced a seasonal reduction of the DUB-IAD route through the Winter; we will be seeing bmibaby flights gradually scaled back, sadly to disappear in September, as the airline ceases operations. Hopefully, Flybe, among others, will take up some of the slack, although Flybe's definition of a "low cost carrier" is markedly different from most people's!

We also saw what will surely become a regular sight in Irish skies in years to come: the 787, stopping off at SNN, on the way home. Etihad is the only confirmed operator of the type to Ireland so far, but no doubt American, Air Canada and United will bring the aircraft into DUB in years to come.

So, here's to another vibrant thread: over to you, folks!

Nibog

RE: Irish 10/12: Sciathain Na HEireann

Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:02 am

In relation to the "proposed " move by EI from BFS to BHD any more news on this?.I cannot see this happening to be honest,why give up the sun routes out of BFS to serve from BHD,(with performance issues),fly to LHR and BA sitting on the tarmac as well!!!!!.

shamrock350

Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:44 am

Quoting Nibog (Reply 1):
In relation to the "proposed " move by EI from BFS to BHD any more news on this?.I cannot see this happening to be honest,why give up the sun routes out of BFS to serve from BHD,(with performance issues),fly to LHR and BA sitting on the tarmac as well!!!!!.

It was meant to be announced last week, BHD were holding a press conference last Tuesday but that was delayed and is now thought to be going ahead this week. I think Aer Lingus are stuck in limbo, they've let it slip too early that a move was on the cards which enabled BFS management to start talks with Jet2 and EasyJet while over at BHD it looks like BA have no intention of working closer with Aer Lingus which leaves them stuck on their own against BA and FlyBe.

They've left it very late to make their minds up, as each day passes more people in Northern Ireland are booking with EasyJet, Jet2, FlyBe and British Airways. No matter what airport they chose now, EI are in for a very tough winter in Belfast.

OA260

Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:14 pm

( Report on the ATR72 incident last year )

Plane incident due to repair oversight

The incorrect installation of a critical part and inadequate staffing at an airport maintenance facility resulted in the crew of an Irish plane experiencing serious control problems after take-off.

The incident, at Edinburgh Airport, Scotland, occurred on March 15, 2011, when an ATR72-200 turbo-prop plane, owned by Dublin-based Air Contractors Ireland, was taking off after undergoing maintenance.

The plane, with just a crew of two, was repositioning to Paris at the time of what investigators described as a "serious incident".

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...e-to-repair-oversight-3168536.html

---
4,000 airport staff to vote on industrial action in pensions row

MORE than 4,000 workers at the country's main airports will vote on whether to take industrial action -- including possible strikes -- in a bid to protect their pensions.

The move comes after their unions accused Aer Lingus and the Dublin Airport Authority (DAA) of failing to plug a €700m shortfall in their pension scheme.

Staff at Dublin, Cork and Shannon airports will begin voting on Friday after their unions rejected a plan put forward by their employers to deal with the huge deficit.

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...ction-in-pensions-row-3165841.html

Hopefully no more strikes . I wonder when we will hear the result of the votes.

Eirules

Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:31 pm

Quoting kaitak (Thread starter):
On the route front, United has just announced a seasonal reduction of the DUB-IAD route through the Winter

When was this announced Kaitak? Hardly a surprise since UA had reduced the second DUB-EWR frequency last Winter but disappointing nonetheless. What is the frequency now?

On a completely different note, its so long since I bought liquids in DUB when connecting to another flight I'm not sure of the answer so advice gratefully recieved... Can I buy booze in DUB when flying DUB-LHR-SFO and not have it taken off me in LHR due to liquid restrictions, or do I have to wait until LHR to buy it?
Thanks
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

BestWestern

Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:00 pm

Quoting EIRules (Reply 4):
Can I buy booze in DUB when flying DUB-LHR-SFO

Yes you can.. make sure you show your onward boarding pass to get the duty free price.
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

kaitak
Topic Author

Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:21 pm

When was this announced Kaitak? Hardly a surprise since UA had reduced the second DUB-EWR frequency last Winter but disappointing nonetheless. What is the frequency now?

This was on an email bulletin relating to airline routes; it's not a major reduction, just a seasonal one; the minimum it goes down to is 4 per week, in early 2013 and then, it will go back up to five, then six.

OA260

Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:12 pm

Trainee pilots, who were stranded in the US when their course with the Pilot Training College in Waterford collapsed, are to picket the Dáil on Wednesday.

They are also seeking a meeting with Minister for Transport Leo Varadkar.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0714/tra...s-to-picket-dail-on-wednesday.html

What are they wanting from the government ? Are they looking their fees paid ?

AmricanShamrok

Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:52 pm

On a completely different note, its so long since I bought liquids in DUB when connecting to another flight I'm not sure of the answer so advice gratefully recieved... Can I buy booze in DUB when flying DUB-LHR-SFO and not have it taken off me in LHR due to liquid restrictions, or do I have to wait until LHR to buy it?

I think what happens is, you buy the booze at DUB, they give it to you in a sealed plastic bag (with the receipt in view) and as long as you don't open it or tamper with the seal, the security at LHR will not give you hassle. That's the way I understand it. I will be buying booze in SNN when I fly SNN-LHR-ORD next week so I'll let you know if I have any trouble!

Quoting OA260 (Reply 7):
What are they wanting from the government? Are they looking their fees paid?

I think they are looking for their money back from PTC or a way of continuing their training without having to pay more than they already have. They maintain that the government issued PTC the training licence so they need to sort this problem. I don't know how much the Dept. of Transport can do about it though. You'd feel bad for the trainee pilots though after paying upwards of €80,000 and not knowing if they'll get it back after this mess...or at least continue their training.

shamrock604

Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:16 pm

This was announced ages ago - a couple of months at least. It also applies to many other UA TATL routes and doesnt just affect the Irish market.

shamrock604

Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:29 pm

Folks,

You may have noticed from other threads that UA are to launch SFO-CDG on the 763.

This market is known for quite poor yields, though it seemingly put UA off. The question is - does this make UA more likely to look at further TATL expansion from SFO? CDG is not a star hub - and its already served by a significant AF presence from SFO.

Should EI become concerned that perhaps UA are about to steal yet another long haul route that EI could not seem to make work?

On the EI side, is now the time to consider a real expansion on the Atlantic? With load factors now of well over 92%, connecting traffic to the European network having gone through the roof, and the continued good performance of the EIR franchise feeding UK originating traffic to TATL, is it now time that EI expanded the operation and added to the rather meagre choice of US cities available?

Your thoughts?

tonymctigue

Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:29 am

Quoting shamrock604 (Reply 10):
On the EI side, is now the time to consider a real expansion on the Atlantic? With load factors now of well over 92%, connecting traffic to the European network having gone through the roof, and the continued good performance of the EIR franchise feeding UK originating traffic to TATL, is it now time that EI expanded the operation and added to the rather meagre choice of US cities available?

It is very hard to know. Yes the load factors on long haul routes finally seem to have recovered somewhat and are approaching a level where they should be at and yes we've had two new transatlantic routes open out of DUB recently, both operated by US airlines, both of which seem to be doing pretty well. However, with the continuing financial crisis across Europe it is hard to know what's going to happen. The improved load factors are perhaps more of an indicator that EI finally have managed to match capacity with demand rather than an increase in demand. Connecting traffic is up but there is a strong chance that this may just be offsetting a drop in O&D from Ireland. Not to mention that the management at EI seem to be distracted at the moment with silly projects such as entering the LHR domestic market and moving from BFS to BHD. I reckon there certainly would be demand for perhaps one or two more routes across the Atlantic (possibly LAX or SFO and a Canadian destination) but I cannot see it happening.
Airports: SNN GWY NOC DUB ORK BOS EWR JFK ORD MCI BOI SEA LHR STN CDG LYS FAO GVA HKG MEL ADL HBA

shamrock604

Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:37 am

Quoting tonymctigue (Reply 11):
Yes the load factors on long haul routes finally seem to have recovered somewhat and are approaching a level where they should be

Load factors have done more than recovered - at 93% for June, the airline is now at the point where its effectively turning away passengers. Beyond a certain fare, most people simply opt not to travel.

Connecting traffic is up but there is a strong chance that this may just be offsetting a drop in O&D from Ireland

Maybe so, but it doesnt really matter where the passengers are coming from. The point is EI are getting them, and doing so just like any other network carrier. To sustain the momentum, it cant simply fly to 4 cities in the States - it will have to grow the offer at some point.

ot to mention that the management at EI seem to be distracted at the moment with silly projects such as entering the LHR domestic market and moving from BFS to BHD.

I'm a bit more optimistic about Domestic from LHR - I think it's a strategic move whereby some element of loss making may be tolerated to achieve one of two objectives:

1) Position EI as a solid partner for an alliance in the wider Ireland/UK market by offering a coveted domestic presence at LHR

2) Operate the services for the requisite time period before finally saying "we cant make money" and using them for LHR-Ireland expansion

So, it may not be as daft a move as people think! Heathrow isn't Gatwick (just like Ireland isn't Greece etc etc etc), and EI have strong brand awareness at Heathrow. They already have dipped their toes in UK domestic by flying to Belfast - having previously been associated solely with the Republic.

I reckon there certainly would be demand for perhaps one or two more routes across the Atlantic (possibly LAX or SFO and a Canadian destination) but I cannot see it happening.

It is East coast that apparently was mentioned lately by EI management. So one can speculate about possible cities - MIA is the blindingly obvious for me, and it's a route MIA airport itself are actively seeking and can prove demand for. Forget DC, PHL etc. EI will not be able to compete with the home town carrier at either of these.

YYZ is very strongly rumoured - and i even heard murmurs of A319 operation, similar to AC's St John's - Heathrow service.......make of that what you will!

tonymctigue

Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:23 am

Quoting shamrock604 (Reply 12):
YYZ is very strongly rumoured - and i even heard murmurs of A319 operation, similar to AC's St John's - Heathrow service.......make of that what you will!

There were plenty of rumours a while back about of EI looking to add long haul narrowbody capacity so who knows! Indicentially, with the recent reports of increase transit traffic connecting to US bound flights, does anyone know if this is only happening at DUB or are load factors ex SNN benefitting from this also? I know that EI do offer bookings routing through both DUB and SNN so presumably some price savy passengers would go for the SNN option.
Airports: SNN GWY NOC DUB ORK BOS EWR JFK ORD MCI BOI SEA LHR STN CDG LYS FAO GVA HKG MEL ADL HBA

richcandy

Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:44 am

Quoting shamrock604 (Reply 12):
It is East coast that apparently was mentioned lately by EI management. So one can speculate about possible cities - MIA is the blindingly obvious for me, and it's a route MIA airport itself are actively seeking and can prove demand for. Forget DC, PHL etc. EI will not be able to compete with the home town carrier at either of these.

Hi

Just wonder is MIA really is a good choice for EI. MCO works ( or at least seams to) I guess thats partly to do with families visiting the parks and some second home owners. I could be totally wrong, but I sort of think of MIA as being more like a New York market. You have a mix of tourists, business travellers and also a bit of VFR. KLM seam to have had issues making MIA work, just wonder if its really a good choice for EI.

With regards to YYZ they would be going up against AC and also the TS charter. It would of been a good choice for EI, but maybe that ship has sailed.

Just my thoughts.

Alex

EI320

Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:44 am

Quoting tonymctigue (Reply 13):
Indicentially, with the recent reports of increase transit traffic connecting to US bound flights, does anyone know if this is only happening at DUB or are load factors ex SNN benefitting from this also?

There's a small amount of feed from the UK but the vast majority is, of course, O&D. Services will be suspended for a shorter period in 2013 than in previous years.

tonymctigue

Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:25 am

Quoting EI320 (Reply 15):
There's a small amount of feed from the UK but the vast majority is, of course, O&D. Services will be suspended for a shorter period in 2013 than in previous years.

It is good to hear that there is some trickle going through SNN from the UK and that the winter suspension will be shorter this year than other years. I wonder though if there is much in the way of business feed onto long haul through SNN? It would seem like a good choice for a price savy business traveller. With very little O&D demand for business class from SNN, one can imagine that business traveller originating in a regional city in the UK could bag themself a tidy little bargin routing via SNN because you wouldn't be competing with O&D passengers for the cheaper fares. Add in the convenience of preclearance and connecting through a small quiet airport, back it up with a bit or marketing and you have the makings of a nice little niche market there that could just make the difference in terms of profitable long haul services from SNN. Just my   

AmricanShamrok

Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:27 am

I see EI are to reduce the twice-daily DUB-JFK service to 11 weekly between January and March also.

Quoting tonymctigue (Reply 13):
does anyone know if this is only happening at DUB or are load factors ex SNN benefitting from this also?

SNN is definitely getting connecting traffic. After my recent BOS-SNN flight I saw about 25/30 passengers in the Flight Connections queue connecting to the early LHR, MAN and BHX flights. This may be a small number but its undoubtedly more than what EI were getting out of SNN a few years back. A step in the right direction anyway.

From looking at the Aer Lingus website, prices for connections through DUB vs. through SNN are about the same but in some cases (like LHR-JFK, LHR-BOS, MAN-BOS), SNN offers more convenient connection times and hence, an overall shorter journey than the alternative via DUB.

OA260

Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:52 am

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 17):
I see EI are to reduce the twice-daily DUB-JFK service to 11 weekly between January and March also.

I guess it makes sense. They are responding to demand. Winter will be interesting this year. With a weak Euro against the $$ and whatever the budget will bring that shopping trip to NYC or extra city break will be a luxury for alot who previously took it .

Quoting richcandy (Reply 14):
Just wonder is MIA really is a good choice for EI.

No too close to MCO and the majority would still go to MCO . In the current climate there is no market for it . They may pick up a few cruise passengers but not much else. The majority of cruise passengers from Ireland which is still a decent amount fly BA/VS/KL etc... the cruise companies have big nett deals with them . Would be very hard for EI to tap into that .

Will be interesting to see the outcome of trying to ''ring fence'' slots .

Coalition plans will safeguard crucial Belfast-Heathrow link

The Westminster Government has boosted hopes of retaining Belfast’s crucial air links with London Heathrow.

The coalition’s new aviation blueprint, unveiled yesterday, outlines the UK’s determination to push for vital landing slots to be reserved for regional links.

Fears have been raised about the future of the connections between Belfast and Heathrow, the world’s busiest international airport, since the takeover of bmi by British Airways this year.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/ne...belfastheathrow-link-16185367.html

Eagleboy

Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:53 pm

Quoting shamrock604 (Reply 10):
Should EI become concerned that perhaps UA are about to steal yet another long haul route that EI could not seem to make work?

I would be of the opinion that EI need to move earlier than may be financially sound purely to ensure they get into the market before UA. The new mgmt team do not seem as positive towards the codeshare agreement as the pre merger situation.

Not to mention that the management at EI seem to be distracted at the moment with silly projects such as entering the LHR domestic market and moving from BFS to BHD.

While I see your point I would hope that a properly functioning exec team would be able to deal with several projects at once (LHR slots, EIR franchise future, FR bid, BFS/BHD decision, T/A expansion, codeshare options, fleet expansion? etc etc)
In theory EI are one of the most profitable airlines in Europe at present, based on recent financial results. Their mgmt/exec team should be up to standard.

AmricanShamrok

Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:01 pm

Today's EI125 (DUB-ORD) diverted to SNN and was on the ground from about 14:00 to 15:40. Anyone know why?

shamrock604

Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:16 pm

Quoting EagleBoy (Reply 19):
I would be of the opinion that EI need to move earlier than may be financially sound purely to ensure they get into the market before UA. The new mgmt team do not seem as positive towards the codeshare agreement as the pre merger situation.

Precisely - we are in the middle of a major economic crisis yet long haul is showing strong growth, with two carriers on the Atlantic taking a gamble on new US gateway cities with CLT and IAD (US also now have twice daily PHL service at weekends).

While prudence is a virtue, it has to be tempered with a degree of risk taking or EI will get frozen out.

kaitak
Topic Author

Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:12 am

Aeroflot now appears to be negotiating for a new DUB service from Summer 2013; it had been rumoured to be starting this year, but of course this didn't happen.

shamrock604

Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:32 am

Quoting kaitak (Reply 22):
Aeroflot now appears to be negotiating for a new DUB service from Summer 2013; it had been rumoured to be starting this year, but of course this didn't happen.

Good to hear - S7's service has now degenerated into a way to earn some incremental revenue on a saturday night with an aircraft that otherwise would sit idle.

One would expect SU can breathe new life into the route.

tonymctigue

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:17 am

I just saw a bus driving around Melbourne for EY advertising DUB of all places. It had a picture of three suitcases lined up in the colours of the Irish flag. Good to see someone is marketing Ireland over here although I'm sure that is more aimed at the expat community here.

shamrock604

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:34 am

Quoting tonymctigue (Reply 24):
I just saw a bus driving around Melbourne for EY advertising DUB of all places. It had a picture of three suitcases lined up in the colours of the Irish flag. Good to see someone is marketing Ireland over here although I'm sure that is more aimed at the expat community here.

EY used to have the fastest connection to DUB from MEL - now, it's EK by a considerable margin (1hr 25 minutes less - or 3 places on a GDS display!)

Not surprised they are now having to advertise!

All the same, EY continue to experience great load factors out of DUB, on Sunday for example all 3 ME services (2 EY 1 EK) went out sold out.

tonystan

Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:32 am

Used to be an EY billboard just outside SYD airport with a picture of Malahide Castle on it! Always gave me a laugh to see my home town when I passed it!
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

Cabincrewifly

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:16 am

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 20):
Today's EI125 (DUB-ORD) diverted to SNN and was on the ground from about 14:00 to 15:40. Anyone know why?

Medical emergency
EI FR RE EIR IWD MA FUA

OA260

Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:26 am

Quoting kaitak (Reply 22):

Would be good news to see them back . Shame they didnt make it this year. SU offer some good connections and fares so would be good for DUB . Also would increase ST presence at DUB .

Good to see someone is marketing Ireland over here although I'm sure that is more aimed at the expat community here.

Well with the hundreds of thousands of Ex Pats it makes sense as depending on invidual circumstances the guys working and living down there come back a few times a year and they have a choice. A mate of mine came back a few weeks ago and of all routes flew back DUB-ORD-LAX-SYD AA/QF combo. Apparantly it was the cheapest way to fly.

tonymctigue

Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:51 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 28):
Well with the hundreds of thousands of Ex Pats it makes sense as depending on invidual circumstances the guys working and living down there come back a few times a year and they have a choice. A mate of mine came back a few weeks ago and of all routes flew back DUB-ORD-LAX-SYD AA/QF combo. Apparantly it was the cheapest way to fly.

It is funny you should mention it because on my first trip home I plan to do a round the world routing because I want to visit relatives. Something along the lines of MEL-MCI-BOS-SNN-MEL and probably with a few more stopover airports thrown in between. Travel time wise, it doesn't actually make a whole lot of difference whether you head East or West from Ireland to East/South coast of Australia. The other side of that coin is you have so many more options when going west so you generally get the best fare so it does seem quite odd that your mate got that as the cheapest route option. Usually flight segments between Australia and the US are crazy expensive.

He would want to have saved himself a few hundred euros doing that though! Anyone who frequents ORD knows all too well the risks of transit stops at that particular airport!

OA260

Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:43 am

Quoting tonymctigue (Reply 29):
Usually flight segments between Australia and the US are crazy expensive.

Indeed but you know yourself I guess other routes could have been full or a sale fare was on . Just shows you need to shop around everytime.

In other news the proposed US Pre Clerance at UK Airports being reported would mean the DUB facility would not have an edge anymore for UK - Ireland - USA flights. I wonder what impact this might have on traffic with Aer Lingus and also would EI then offer stop over packages for wannabe tourists to take in Ireland on their way between the USA and UK.

richcandy

Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:16 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 30):
In other news the proposed US Pre Clerance at UK Airports being reported would mean the DUB facility would not have an edge anymore for UK - Ireland - USA flights. I wonder what impact this might have on traffic with Aer Lingus and also would EI then offer stop over packages for wannabe tourists to take in Ireland on their way between the USA and UK.

Not sure. If the UK gets pre clearance then the chances are the London airports will get the facility. I would of thought (and it is only a guess) that the majority of passengers that travel from the UK to the USA via DUB/SNN are not coming from London.

A stopover package is something that they really should think about. SQ used to offer (maybe still do) a stopover package at SIN for passengers travelling from Europe to Australian. At one time you got a night in a hotel with transfers for £1 or $1 . This was a good selling point and passengers tended to upgrade the hotel or stay an extra night or two, which they might not of even thought about if they hadn't been offered a free night.

Alex

Eagleboy

Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:36 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 30):
would EI then offer stop over packages for wannabe tourists to take in Ireland on their way between the USA and UK.
Quoting richcandy (Reply 31):
A stopover package is something that they really should think about. SQ used to offer (maybe still do) a stopover package at SIN for passengers travelling from Europe to Australian.

I am of the opinion that EI should be offering this already. Offer flexibility to the pax travelling thru DUB to stay for 1-2 nights at a miminal cost. This would benefit the countries tourism revenues. Mueller is on the board of Tourism Ireland, they should be asking EI to offer this option to pax in return for a small bit of cash per pax.

2 people staying 2 nights in DUB would generate 2-200 Euro for the local economy. I'm not sure what return EI would want to offer this service.

Eagleboy

Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:05 pm

On another note FR have submitted their official offer of E1.30 cash per share to EI shareholders.

http://www.ryanair.com/doc/news/2012/377956ACL.pdf

Some highlights:
"Aer Lingus and Ryanair will continue to operate as separate airlines with distinctive brands,
thereby preserving the best features of both, including Ryanair’s low fare, high punctuality flights,
and Aer Lingus’ high frequency mid-frills short haul services to primary airports and its
transatlantic operations"

"It is Ryanair’s intention, based on the growth plans above, that the employment numbers of pilots,
cabin crew and engineers in Aer Lingus will increase although, in the context of the targeted
productivity improvements revised conditions of employment may need to be negotiated between Aer
Lingus and its employees. Ryanair expects that Aer Lingus will continue to respect and safeguard the
existing employment rights of the management and employees of the Aer Lingus Group in accordance
with statutory requirements"

"When Ryanair first bid for Aer Lingus in late 2006, Dublin Airport was suffering significant congestion,
with the runway and terminal building operating at, or close to, full capacity during peak periods, which
rendered it difficult for new entrants to offer services or competition to/from Dublin. However,.......... Dublin Airport is now operating at approximately 50 percent capacity, which creates significant availability throughout the day, thereby removing this barrier to any new entrants to Dublin Airport."

EI787

Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:23 pm

Seems like more and more are learning of how to become a 'free' Gold Circle Member:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056703812

At this rate, all of Ireland will be in the Gold Circle Lounge! It will be quieter at the gate than in the lounge!

Sam the Lab

Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:42 pm

Wow, this is one fascinating thread on Dublin aviation and as usual there is not one mention on the busy summer Cork Airport has enjoyed since June. For example, for the first time since 2008 Cork Airport had an increase in passengers numbers for the calendar month of June with numbers up 1.8%. Yes, this is a modest increase but a welcome one none the less. I guess the very poor summer weather in Ireland has contributed to the increase with folk availing of every sun flight available to get away to the sun.

I paid a visit to Dublin Airport at the end of May. The new terminal is completely excessive and over the top and what about all those stupid airbridges. I mean, who wants them? The Dublin Airport crowd sought fit to leave the new terminal unfinished at Cork by completing just one of the planned three airbridges so why should Dublin be awarded with so many airbridges when much of the traffic is being provided by low cost airlines such as Ryanair?

Dublin Airport's big ego is harming other sister airports like Cork and Shannon and none of these threads on Dublin avation ever addresses any of these matters - hearing about what middle east carrier carts off rich kids with their fancy qualifications to jobs in Australia is only one part of Irish aviation so let us have some balance here.

Aer Lingus are ending their Gatwick to Cork service in October. They have blinked first this time and seem happy to leave Gatwick to Ryanair. This would be an ideal opportunity for Aer Lingus Regional to start a service from Cork to either Southampton or even Southend. It is also a shame that Aer Lingus are going back to just three based units at Cork for the winter. There is still so much potential there from Cork in the shape of a new Scandinavian service, Vienna, Istanbul, Zurich etc. It seems to me that there may be an unspoken of agenda to get Cork people up the new motorway to Dublin Airport to the neglect of Cork's own facility. If Dublin can support nearly three daily flights each to the Stockholm, Copenhagen and Oslo areas surely it is not unreasonable to think that Cork may be able to support flights to even one Scandinavian capital destination on twice or three times a week.

Let us have here what Cork Airport hardly ever has had - a level playing field.

OA260

Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:47 pm

Quoting EI787 (Reply 34):
Seems like more and more are learning of how to become a 'free' Gold Circle Member:

And even more now after your post    

Jambost

Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:54 pm

Quoting Sam the Lab (Reply 35):
The new terminal is completely excessive and over the top and what about all those stupid airbridges. I mean, who wants them?

My opinion,

DUB is the main [not only] gateway to Ireland, which most aviation enthusiasts would keep an eye on for seeing new exotic airlines serving Ireland. ORK got a great bit of publicity with EI's new Brussels route which so far has been reported as a success story. BFS is in the limelight to see what EI and maybe EY are planning to do.

I like T2, to me its a new shiny thing that gives a great first impression for new visitors to Ireland. Plus it is a huge improvement compared to T1 running at full capacity.
Air bridges [to me are smart] they shield passengers from the typical Irish weather we mostly get. Some airlines do not use them and that is their choice for their business model. Some airports do not have them if they receive mainly LCC or a very calm pleasant climate for the majority of the year.

DUB sucks in passengers from all over Ireland, airports such as BFS, ORK, SNN etc do lose out simply because the Island of Ireland is just too small and sparsely populated. From the airlines point of view why not just play the Irish market safe and serve Ireland from its Capital. EY have shown slight interest in BFS but will they risk attempting when they serve DUB a few hours away?

Another factor is LHR, for airlines [point of view] that do not serve Ireland at all why not partner up with EI/BA on their LHR routes to Ireland so they can attract Irish passengers from a majority of Irish airports with out even serving Ireland. EY & EK have shown that Ireland has potential but as long as LHR is only an hours flight away, why bother?

I wish airlines would give ORK, SNN, BFS a chance but I do not see it happening at an explosive rate. If connecting to flights in England was impossible then the picture could be very different indeed.
1APR14 Ireland Direct, 3 A380-9LR,Equiped Irish Bar & Casino. All Y+ seating. Serving DUB-PER-SYD/MEL

AmricanShamrok

Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:58 pm

Quoting EI787 (Reply 34):

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...03812

A lot of people seem to have signed up and switched, looking at that thread! I hope they don't crowd up and ruin the lounge experience for us new Gold Circle members    

On a serious note, I wonder will this loophole increase business for EI? A lot of "regular" joe soaps (i.e. non frequent flyers/aviation enthusiests) will now probably go out of their way to book flights on EI just because they have status and can avail of perks.

Eagleboy

Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:01 pm

The new terminal is completely excessive and over the top and what about all those stupid airbridges. I mean, who wants them?

Well those airbridges are all full 2-3 times a day, so obviously someone uses them. And EI are currently the largest operater at DUB, whereas I would guess FR are the largest at ORK?

The EI withdrawal from LGW is bad but hopefully ORK (and SNN) will see a bit more activity from EIR when those new ATR72-600's come into play.

Let us have here what Cork Airport hardly ever has had - a level playing field.

You need a level runway first!

EIDL

Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:10 pm

If BMI card numbers are sequential I can see EI copping on to this VERY quickly. Its not an automated process.

OA260

Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:24 pm

I paid a visit to Dublin Airport at the end of May. The new terminal is completely excessive and over the top and what about all those stupid airbridges.

Well maybe people from ORK should post news on a regular basis rather than wait for others to . I cover BHD BFS DUB and would welcome more news about whats going on in ORK so I guess its up to you to partake and contribute in a positive manner?

As for T2 I use it all the time and its a great facility and well worth the money . The feedback from passengers is also very positive. With airlines such as EY EK EI UA you need a decent modern day terminal and thats what was built .

Im glad the Irish decided to build it against some backward and non visonary mentalities that still remain in the 26 counties. Its a shame that a sizeable amount of Irish dont have the vision to stop complaining and get off their back sides and do something for the good of the country . These people hold back many educated and visonary Irish who could do wonders for this country . Ireland is third world in terms of connectivity to high speed broadband . Ireland needs young blood rather than the same crony leaders.

Quoting Jambost (Reply 37):
DUB is the main [not only] gateway to Ireland

Exactly and Cork gains from this gateway too . Many take trips by rail and road to Cork after landing into DUB .

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 38):
A lot of people seem to have signed up and switched, looking at that thread! I hope they don't crowd up and ruin the lounge experience for us new Gold Circle members    

Well I heard the upper level is going to be reserved for Elites  
Quoting EagleBoy (Reply 39):
You need a level runway first!

LOL...  

ORK and SNN are small regional Airports and that is the way it will be in future. Both may keep key select routes if they manage their affairs correctly but Dublin is the capital of this small Island so DUB will always be the main airport. I do think that people get carried away sometimes with the reality on the ground. ORK is a nice Airport I have said that in the past but you cant force people and airlines to use them if they dont want to .

AmricanShamrok

Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:39 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 41):
Well I heard the upper level is going to be reserved for Elites

At DUB? Ah that doesn't bother me, I'll mainly be using the SNN (Rineanna Suite) and possibly LHR and ORD (VIP Lounge) ones for the very few EI flights I take over the next year.

Quoting Cabincrewifly (Reply 27):
Medical emergency

Thanks for that; full story here - interesting to note that emergency crews were deployed in case the brakes overheated on landing due to the heavy fuel load. The runway was inspected afterwards causing minor delays:

http://www.clareherald.com/news/147-...gus-flight-diverts-to-shannon.html

On the ORK issue I think Sam the Lab raises some valid points. I think ORK was meant to have three airbridges installed so I don't know why they only fitted one. It seems a relatively minor expense compared to the rest of the terminal. Also, there is no doubt DUB has gained some (a lot?) of ORK and SNN's traffic over the past few years due to the new motorways, more choice, competition etc. I suppose it is now up to the authorities in ORK ( and more significantly at SNN) to be proactive in growing traffic. I think overall though, ORK has fared reasonably well in terms of new routes and stemming the losses in passenger traffic. Moreso than SNN anyway...

EIBusiness

Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:58 pm

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 38):
On a serious note, I wonder will this loophole increase business for EI? A lot of "regular" joe soaps (i.e. non frequent flyers/aviation enthusiests) will now probably go out of their way to book flights on EI just because they have status and can avail of perks.

That will not happen. I suspect that many cards may be rescinded in the coming weeks given that EI Execs are now aware of the problem.

EIBusiness
Vivo Per Lei...

tonystan

Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:21 pm

I paid a visit to Dublin Airport at the end of May. The new terminal is completely excessive and over the top and what about all those stupid airbridges. I mean, who wants them?

Oh sweet jesus a cork man with a chip on his shoulder? Whod have thought? Actually, I like Cork people so Ill stop it with the cheek cos its not fair to the rest of them!

So tell me, when you visited Dublin in May (Must have been a difficult and troubling experience for you) did you happen to notice the handful of airbridges at the old Pier B that are painted up in EI colours and have a special walkway to T2? You did? Brilliant! Because the reason they are like that is because, believe it or not....airlines using T2 actually WANT airbridges and as it would happen there simply are not enough in T2!!! Wow, whod have thought? But here, dont worry, if Cork manages to gain independance from the DAA your local management may just install those extra airbridges...however I would suggest doing something about the short and stumpy runway...an unendowed "facility" doesnt tend to attract the "Big fish" so to speak!
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

Phen

Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:32 pm

Quoting Jambost (Reply 37):

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 42):
I suppose it is now up to the authorities in ORK ( and more significantly at SNN) to be proactive in growing traffic.

Agreed; indeed you can't blame DUB for attracting more traffic - Ireland is a small country with a population the size of what would be a large city in other countries. This notion of multiple Irish airports all handling several million passengers a year is just not realistic in the present climate. Dublin is the capital city with a large proportion of the population and that is the way it is and its not going to change any time soon.

AmricanShamrok

Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:44 pm

Quoting EIBusiness (Reply 43):
That will not happen. I suspect that many cards may be rescinded in the coming weeks given that EI Execs are now aware of the problem.

How will they get them back I wonder. Or will they just instruct groundstaff not to honour the cards issued to these particular passengers?

EIDL

Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:48 pm

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 46):
How will they get them back I wonder. Or will they just instruct groundstaff not to honour the cards issued to these particular passengers?

The cards aren't issued automatically - it needs manual approval. I imagine cards won't be issued in the first place.

AmricanShamrok

Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:58 pm

Quoting EIDL (Reply 47):
The cards aren't issued automatically - it needs manual approval. I imagine cards won't be issued in the first place.

But what happens to those who have already received their card?

OA260

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:02 pm

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 48):
But what happens to those who have already received their card?

Those who have their cards there is not much that can be done. Also no one has broken any rules as it clearly states BD Blue/Silver /Gold so if someone signs up and is Blue then that's not their fault. Its the fault of Aer Lingus for allowing Blue in the first place. Cant blame someone who signs up and is not breaking any rules. I can see someone refused reporting it as false advertising . Aer Lingus shunted this out without thinking the implications of what Blue with BD means.