Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AF1624
Topic Author

AF Crew Finds Dead Baby In Plane Lav

Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:29 am

Hello all,

This is horrible to say the least. How is this even possible ?

http://www.metrofrance.com/paris/roi...ttes-d-un-avion/mlgp!yzN6SJvA5KAC/

Rough translation:

Quote:
A dead newborn baby has been found in an airplane's toilets on Sunday. The airplane departed from Abidjan (Ivory Coast) bound for CDG. The aircraft was then scheduled to depart to Dubaï (UAE).

A source close to the investigation said that the discovery happened during the inspection upon crew change. The toilets were blocked, and while an employee was fixing this, the body was found.

The airplane then took off to Dubaï six hours late.

Awful.

rfields5421

RE: AF Crew Finds Dead Baby In Plane Lav

Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:54 pm

Often such cases are actually miscarriages at the 5 to 6 month period.

The child was not developed enough to live though to a non-doctor it might appear normal. A very low weight and other medical problems can made it difficult for the mother to even know that she was pregnant. She has distressful problems and goes to the toilet. Some times she is not even aware she had a miscarriage and passed the child.

Cultural issues, and even just normal fear, can make her unwilling to acknowledge what happened.

I'm not saying this is the case here. I don't read French and there do not appear to be enough details to tell anyway.

But, just saying - many of these cases are not what the journalist make them appear.

burnsie28

Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:21 pm

Hasn't things like this happend before coming out of countries like the Ivory Coast? I guess depending on how old they estimate the baby was, nobody would have noticed a pregnant person suddenly not so pregnant or at least not a little off.

AF1624
Topic Author

Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 1):

Right on, they've confirmed it about an hour ago with an autopsy.

Unflug

Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:40 pm

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 1):

Miscarriage at around 20 weeks they say after the authopsy - for those who read french:

http://www.metrofrance.com/paris/roi...ide-abandonnee/mlgp!82jrAFjw0wdRc/

filoflyer

Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:15 am

couple of years ago it also happened in a GF plane from Bahrain to MNL, baby was disposed in bin but fortunately he survived http://www.metro.co.uk/news/840667-baby-found-in-gulf-air-flight-bin

zkojq

Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:45 am

Quoting filoflyer (Reply 5):
couple of years ago it also happened in a GF plane from Bahrain to MNL,

And on a Pacific Blue flight in 2009 from Samoa to Auckland:
http://avherald.com/h?article=416b4d9b&opt=4096

tennis69

Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:31 am

Sorry floks, but there is absolutely no excuse for the mother not reporting this to a FA or other authorities.

707lvr

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:32 am

I'm guessing there was a good chance this woman was a first-time flier and may have not known she was pregnant. Taking a dump six miles in the sky in a tiny, noisy, bumpy terlit is not the most normal event to begin with. I'm inclined to give the lady a break.

RWA380

Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:51 pm

Quoting 707lvr (Reply 8):
I'm guessing there was a good chance this woman was a first-time flier and may have not known she was pregnant. Taking a dump six miles in the sky in a tiny, noisy, bumpy terlit is not the most normal event to begin with. I'm inclined to give the lady a break.

Passing fecal matter out your butt, is not the same sensation as passing a baby from your vagina, sorry. I'm not a woman and I know that. I do agree this person was most likely scared and unsure of her situation aboard an Intl flight, maybe she was fearful that she would be detained upon arrival in Paris, and didn't declare it because she didn't want to risk being jailed for murder. Who knows for sure but the woman and God. What about the cord? Are you saying the cord detatched and she didn't have to cut it with something? for that matter how did she do that, she knew what was going on, she freaked.

[Edited 2012-07-17 14:14:20]

slider

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:11 pm

I feel bad for the worker who had to clear the blocked lav--that sort of thing would impact me greatly.

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 9):
Passing fecal matter out your butt, is not the same sensation as passing a baby from your vagina, sorry. I'm not a woman and I know that. I do agree this person was most likely scared and unsure of her situation aboard an Intl flight, maybe she was fearful that she would be detained upon arrival in Paris, and didn't declare it because she didn't want to risk being jailed for murder. Who knows for sure but the woman and God.

Agree.

rfields5421

Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:54 am

What about the cord? Are you saying the cord detatched and she didn't have to cut it with something?

For miscarriages at that age - a problem with the placenta and cord are very common causes. The child has been dead for several hours or days and the cord likely to have detached. The malformed placenta may have passed looking like a large blood clot.

is not the same sensation as passing a baby from your vagina,

The mother was likely bleeding extensively, with a lot of clotting - and trying to keep from making a mess on the aircraft. The child's body would have been 20-28 cm long (8-11.5 inches) and weighed under 1 kg if it was a normal development with adequate nutrition. It could easily have been half that size if the mother was small and had not received proper pre-natal nutrition and vitamins.

ltbewr

Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:22 am

Have they located the mother and hopefully she got or on her own got medical help? This was a very sad situation, that happens far too often due to cultural, personal and political fears, sexual and pregnancy ignorance, rape, poverty, poor health or even mental health problems.

I wonder if those that worked on the toilet and saw the fetus are allowed to take paid time off due to the trauma of seeing such a situation?

DocLightning

Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:39 am

Quoting Unflug (Reply 4):
Miscarriage at around 20 weeks

Even if that infant had been born at the best hospital with a level 1 NICU, s/he wouldn't have made it.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos