BW424
Topic Author

Caribbean Aviation- The Centurion Thread

Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:00 am

Greetings to all A.net patrons!

Welcome to the 100th instalment of Caribbean Aviation!!!. This 100th edition will put emphasis on the pivotal changes over the past 100 threads that have occurred in Caribbean Aviation. The past 100 threads consists of just about 6 full years of discussion, consisting approximately 200,000 posts!! The thread has rarely seen a dull moment with a plethora of lively and informative discussions. One cannot deny that some of these discussions developed into heated and emotional rantings, however, the single common element that unites all of us on here is our burning passion for the industry and our collective desire to see it thrive in a sustainable manner within our unique region.

Without further ado, I'd like to thank all members that have contributed to this milestone.

(Listed in alphabetical order)

2travel2know - Panama
817Dreamliner - Montserrat
8b775zq - St. Kitts and Nevis
9YCAL - Trinidad and Tobago
A388 - Curacao
AA1818 - Trinidad and Tobago
Airjamaica - Jamaica
Ahlfors - Canada/ Antigua
Andrefranca - Brazil
Baje427 - Barbados
BE77 - Canada
Beeweel15 - USA/ Trinidad and Tobago
BigMac - Suriname
Bloddyrascal - Bahamas
BW415 - Trinidad and Tobago
BW424 - Trinidad and Tobago
BW985 - Trinidad and Tobago
BWIA330 - Canada/ Trinidad and Tobago
BWIA772 - Barbados
CaptainK - Grenada
Caribbean484 - Trinidad and Tobago
Caymanair - Cayman Islands
CO777DAL - USA
Divemaster08 - Cayman Islands
GUYAIR707 - Guyana
Guyanam - Guyana/ USA
Hausauflennon - Barbados
Hummingbird- Jamaica
Inbound - Trinidad and Tobago
JM02 - United Kingdom/ Jamaica
JM017 - Jamaica
JM079 - Jamaica
JMBWEEBOY - Jamaica/ Trinidad and Tobago/ USA
Kasimir - Curacao
LIA310 - Grenada/ Trinidad and Tobago
LimaFoxTango - Antigua and Barbuda
LimaMike- Jamaica
Lucianflyboy - St. Lucia
MAH4546 - Sweden
MaverickM11 - USA
MBJ-11 - Jamaica
MD90fan - Bahamas
N312RM - Cayman Islands
NASBWI - Bahamas
OA260- Ireland
OP3000 - USA
PanAmOLDDC8 - Barbados
Panman - Trinidad and Tobago
Par13del - Bahamas
SJOtoLIR - Costa Rica
SCL767 - Chile
Speedbird2155 - United Kingdom
Speedbird2263 - Jamaica
TransIsland - Bahamas
TriniA340 - Trinidad and Tobago
Trintocan - Trinidad and Tobago/ United Kingdom
Turk223 - Barbados
Wadadli - Antigua and Barbuda
WestIndian425 - USA/ Trinidad and Tobago
Windian425 - Barbados
Yankeejuliet - Jamaica
Yellowtail -Belize

(I certainly hope I didn't forget anyone in the listing)

*****News Feed*******
AA to reduce MIA-UVF from daily to 4x weekly Aug. 21, 2012
Redjet officially ceases operations
CM starts PTY-CUR route (Jun 10, 2012)
LIAT hangar and DHC-8 (V2-LGH) destroyed in fire in ANU
BW begins LGW service with wet-leased Omni B763s 2x weekly
BW B763s sitting in MEX as TTCAA undergoes FAA audit
USA and PBM enter open skies agreement (Jun 21, 2012)
All JM-painted B738s to be rebranded to BW
BW to sell 4 of 9 ATRs ordered on open market
EZjet announces GEO-YYZ to begin July 17, 2012
BW reportedly loses ETOPS 120min certification

Happy Centurion Posting!!
It is what we think we know already that prevents us from learning.......

caribbean484

RE: Caribbean Aviation- The Centurion Thread

Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:08 am

Wow Thanks man and everyone for those 6 years, we had to rough times and the good times but 100 forums it just awesome.
All ah we is one family

beeweel15

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:01 am

Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 1):
Wow Thanks man and everyone for those 6 years, we had to rough times and the good times but 100 forums it just awesome.

"Ditto"

Lets keep it going to the Second Centurion

A388

Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:51 am

Hello all,

BW424 my apologies for not getting back on your request to give information on the first flight from the Caribbean to Europe (KLM's Fokker aircraft named Snip) but I am too busy at work and have gone to Colombia due to the premature birth of my children who are doing well by the way. I will go back and forth to Colombia (Bogota) a few times to see my family there. I can now join the fatherhood club 

It is great to see that we have reached this fantastic milestone. Congratulations to everybody and their contributions!!!

News from Curacao is that DAE will add 3 additional weekly flights starting this August to Miami. The new flight will depart Curacao at 9 PM and return the next day departing at 7 AM. This will bring DAE's total number of flights to Miami to 10 weekly and the total number of flights from Curacao to Miami to 31 weekly flights. On mondays, fridays and sundays there will be 5 flights from Curacao to Miami!!!

DAE will also receive their first of two ATR72's but I have no date yet.

A388

A388

Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:59 am

See my latest photos added to the database and taken in Curacao by clicking on below links:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Roger Cannegieter - Curacao Aviation Photography
View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

Cheers,

A388

yellowtail

Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:16 pm

Good job on the new thread. Centurion sounds downright Olympic so it is quite fitting
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

ETinCaribe

Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:00 pm

My favorite thread to read, always interesting and full of passion. Congrats to my Caribbean aviation addicts.

baje427

Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:48 pm

Congrats on making it to thread 100

2travel2know2

Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:34 pm

100th Caribbean aviation thread.. Kudos to all who made it happen..
I'm not on CM's payroll.

westindian425

Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:39 pm

Nice title and intro for this thread!!

Now what's this about BW losing ETOPS? That would be a killer! That would affect the London and US routes, unless they want to go for the 747/A340. LOL!!! (Not gonna happen...)
God did not create aircraft pilots to be on the ground

guyanam

Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:50 pm

Quoting westindian425 (Reply 9):

Is this a further barrier for the LGW and if so what happens to the 2 767s. Nicholas will go down in history as CALs biggest disaster. Why so many mistakes?

yellowtail

Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:18 pm

Fingers crossed on CM announcements for the Caribbean folks. Sometime between now and september.

me thinks ANU, BGI, BON and BZE are all up for consideration!

817Dreamliiner

Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm

Thanks for starting the new thread BW424, Congrats to everyone who has participated in the 6 years of the Caribbean aviation thread! , Heres to the next 100 threads!

Quoting BW424 (Thread starter):
All JM-painted B738s to be rebranded to BW

Expected. Well I guess thats that for JM, should have done so a long time ago.

BW to sell 4 of 9 ATRs ordered on open market

I posted in the previous thread that the JM liveried ATR was repainted into a ATR livery to be displayed at Farnborough.

BW reportedly loses ETOPS 120min certification

Hmmmm, I assume this may be a result of the FAA audit?

Quoting A388 (Reply 3):

Congrats on the birth of your children A388! Was wondering why you havent been on for a while good luck with the fathering  .

BTW A388 I posted som pics of a not so secret spotting location here in MNI have a look:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8025/7564891954_4ea7312178_b.jpg
IMG-20120713-00139 by 817Dreamliiner, on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7253/7564892070_fbd3abf59c_b.jpg
IMG-20120713-00140 by 817Dreamliiner, on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7130/7564892136_a72903771e_b.jpg
IMG-20120713-00142 by 817Dreamliiner, on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7264/7564891896_b6e8d70a2a_b.jpg
IMG-20120713-00143 by 817Dreamliiner, on Flickr

Hope you guys like them, they will be part of my trip report in September.
Please let me know... If you know this is the end of the world, Let me know... If you know the truth...

2travel2know2

Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:21 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 11):

Change ANU and BON for GEO, PBM or SCU perhaps?
Folks on ANU finally noticed how many passengers CM is moving in SXM?
BON making an offer $$$ making CM think about that island?
I'm not on CM's payroll.

trintocan

Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:34 pm

Congratulations to all for this 100th Caribbean Aviation thread - in fact this thread is one of the pioneer regional threads on this site with several others having come about ever since. The timing is perfect with the London Games coming up and Caribbean expectations running high plus the 50th anniversaries of Independence for Jamaica and Trinidad & Tobago in August. Best wishes to all and let's keep the good work up.

Trintocan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

andrefranca

Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:42 am

Congratulations guys, too all the caribbean folk! I love this part of the world, my first international destination since I was 7 years old! always sunny, people always smiling and friendly etc... etc.... in 2013 I'll have my 4 th return 
Now what's this about BW losing ETOPS? That would be a killer! That would affect the London and US routes, unless they want to go for the 747/A340. LOL!!! (Not gonna happen...)

Oops, maybe we're going to see the LON route gone earlier than we thoouuuuuught!

Quoting guyanam (Reply 10):
Why so many mistakes

It can be a leader/CEO thing, on my 5 years of university on management grounds, we learn very often that some CEOs think they are THE entrepreneur because they made it to the ceo chair, but they lack vision or they spend much much much more thinking he'll gain the double, but it doesn't always happen! great example not only CAL, but Xerox, in the past there was no competitor and the CEO's on Xerox though they ruled the world, after many extravaganzas spending they felt it and today we almost don't hear of xerox anymore....

I don't know nicholas real background to judge him....

Fingers crossed on CM announcements for the Caribbean folks. Sometime between now and september.

I'll bet on BGI BZE VRA or even GCM SLU

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 12):
Expected. Well I guess thats that for JM, should have done so a long time ago.

Agreed! from the moment they had AJ that was that, I mean jmcans knew they'd no longer have their so beloved and original AJ, in my point of view the time and money they wasted trying to make the "one caribbean one airline" idea perfect will hurt for a while.... it's is a beautiful idea, we all here expect that, there was even a huge discussion on that, but can they afford it right now? hmmmmmmm....

N312RM

Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:15 am

This doesn't seem right. To the best of my knowledge, it is the individual aircraft that receives ETOPS certification, not the airline. As I have said in the previous threads, when an airline introduces a new aircraft type, such as BW and the B767, they must be certified by their principal regulator, in this case the TTCAA, as fit to operate the type. In my mind, the issue must lie with the TTCAA giving the requisite approvals. I shudder to think of the financial consequences for BW if they are unable to get LGW service implemented soon.

It is really a shame that JM livery will disappear from BW aircraft, although the writing has been on the wall for some time. RIP JM!

BW424
Topic Author

Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:48 am

Your most welcome guys! Let's keep up the great convos!

Now what's this about BW losing ETOPS? That would be a killer! That would affect the London and US routes, unless they want to go for the 747/A340. LOL!!!

US routes will now be 10-15 minutes longer because of the need to stay within the 60min rule. This in effect causes the airline to spend millions more annually on fuel. As for LGW, forget about it with CAL equipment. This further pegs down the airline as now CAL has 2 763s that they now have to MAKE work for the 5 yrs that they are leased. I truly wish somehow CAL can get out of this 767 deal, but I doubt it.

Quoting A388 (Reply 3):

Congratulations on becoming a father A388!!

As for DAE, I guess they're doing well. 10x weekly seems pretty good. Whenever I'm heading to the airport gym and look at the departure screens, DAE always seems to be leaving later than usual. I'll check their load factors tomorrow to see how they're doing.

Hmmmm, I assume this may be a result of the FAA audit?

Not certain on that....probably someone closer to ground can confirm. But, I'd bet on that being the reason.

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 15):
It can be a leader/CEO thing, on my 5 years of university on management grounds, we learn very often that some CEOs think they are THE entrepreneur because they made it to the ceo chair, but they lack vision or they spend much much much more thinking he'll gain the double, but it doesn't always happen! great example not only CAL, but Xerox, in the past there was no competitor and the CEO's on Xerox though they ruled the world, after many extravaganzas spending they felt it and today we almost don't hear of xerox anymore....

I don't know nicholas real background to judge him

You see, that's the misunderstanding right there. Nicholas was NEVER EVER CEO. He purported himself to be a high-handed know-it-all executive while he was a spoiled, ignorant, arrogant and disrespectful idiot. Nicholas was chair of the board. His role was suppose to be one of policy and strategic direction (things I'm sure he and is board have no clue of). They are not suppose to be involved in the day-to-day operations of the airline. Nicholas fired CEO Brunton to do just that. As for his background.......nothing to talk about.......his only position being within a family business. Anyway, he's gone, but his replacement isn't a "thank god" relief either; however, he is taking advice from the original management that still is at the airline.
It is what we think we know already that prevents us from learning.......

CO777DAL

Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:14 am

Great milestone! Lets hope for some good news in this thread. I hope BW can get all there stuff sorted out.
Worked Hard. Flew Right. Farewell, Continental. Thanks for the memories.

andrefranca

Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:46 am

Quoting BW424 (Reply 17):
You see, that's the misunderstanding right there. Nicholas was NEVER EVER CEO. He purported himself to be a high-handed know-it-all executive while he was a spoiled, ignorant, arrogant and disrespectful idiot. Nicholas was chair of the board. His role was suppose to be one of policy and strategic direction (things I'm sure he and is board have no clue of). They are not suppose to be involved in the day-to-day operations of the airline. Nicholas fired CEO Brunton to do just that. As for his background.......nothing to talk about.......his only position being within a family business. Anyway, he's gone, but his replacement isn't a "thank god" relief either; however, he is taking advice from the original management that still is at the airline.

Right, and as you're an insider, I ask you, how come he made it? I mean why did he last so long and who is he in TNT? is his family in the TNT politics? is he trini? how was he able to disgrace the airline so quickly (not only counting the wrong decisions)? no one saw that coming or were unable to make it stop? I might not know lots of CAL but it seemed to be a prominent airline in the caribbean, mainly after the "re-start up"? I flew it once, and found it OK. nothing more, nothing less.... and now it can vanish any second.

[Edited 2012-07-18 03:52:42]

andrefranca

Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:03 am

Challenge for CAL’s Jamaica operations
By Vernon Khelawan Thursday, July 12 2012

JAMAICANS by nature are passionately patriotic and fiercely loyal to their country and any indigenous industry they can lay claim to and these are the two attributes that could prove to be a tough challenge for Caribbean Airlines in its Jamaica operations for the remainder of 2012 and into 2013.

After posting serious losses of some (US)$38 million in 2011 and the prospects for 2012 not particularly bright, comes the news that a new Jamaican airline is about to take flight and will compete directly with CAL’s Air Jamaica brand on most of its lucrative routes to North America.

In a Jamaica Gleaner story last week, it was reported that Fly Jamaica Airways (FJA) is expected to begin operations next month with scheduled services to Guyana, New York and Toronto using its own B-757 twin-engined jet with a configuration of 12/186, making a total payload of 198 seats.

Chief Operating Officer (COO) Captain Lloyd Tai said FJA will appeal to the diaspora concentrated in these metropolitan areas in the US and Canada. He said, “It’s a Jamaican airline. Most of our staff will be Jamaican and persons in the diaspora will know that we are for them. They are more accustomed to a Jamaican airline.”

Tai’s statement must be regarded as a not so subtle hint that FJA was going after CAL’s Air Jamaica brand passengers and this was further amplified when Tai added, “Once the reaction is good and we expect it to be…” It would seem then it is CAL to catch.

Fly Jamaica Airways is a partnership between Guyana-born Paul Ronald Reece, who owns Guyana-based Wings Aviation Inc, and three Jamaican shareholders, including Tai and Manager, In-flight services Christine Steele.

So, apart from its current frightening financial position, State-owned Caribbean Airlines is facing a plethora of other challenges in many areas of its operations.

Two of these challenges which now seriously affect the airline’s bottom line are the leases they continue to pay Chilean airline LAN for airplanes they cannot now use and the urgent need to sell off four brand, new state-of-the-art ATR -72-600 aircraft, it had ordered, without actually taking possession of them.

A shortage of pilots is another challenge the airline is now dealing with. Acquisition of the ATRs, which now service the airbridge together with the aging Dash-8s as well as some other Caribbean destinations, means eventually getting rid of the present Dash-8-300 fleet.

This in turn means cockpit crews transitioning from the Dash to the ATRs, but since there is uncertainty in the arrival of the new planes, management is now forced to do a critical balancing act to keep just enough Dash-8 pilots while at the same time training pilots for duty on the ATRs, when the Dash-8s are finally replaced. The interim solution employed by the airline is hiring ‘ex-pat’ pilots on short term contracts to fly the Dash-8s.

On the other side of that coin however, is the situation with the crews have been trained, at great cost, to fly the two leased B-767-ER200 aircraft, which were earmarked to operate the London Gatwick services which was inaugurated on June 14 last. These crews while still being paid, have no alternative but to sit at home with no planes to fly.

Because of an oversight problem regarding the leased B-767s, which the Trinidad and Tobago Civil Aviation Authority (TTCAA) is now trying to resolve, CAL was forced into a wet lease agreement for a similar aircraft from Omni International, an aircraft leasing company based in Maryland, USA. Business Day understands the going rate for a wet lease arrangement is around (US)$1000 per hour, which means that a round trip POS-LGW-POS – could cost close to (US)$20,000.

The two planes in question, already painted in CAL’s colours and livery, remain sitting in Mexico awaiting solution of an oversight problem. Three weeks ago, a CAA official told Business Day those planes should become available to CAL by the end of July.

However, after four weekends of London service, Caribbean Airlines is yet to reveal how the transAtlantic loads have been. On its inaugural flight on June 14 there were 153 passengers to London and on the return, Business Day understands some 111 passengers travelled to Port of Spain.

Source: http://www.newsday.co.tt/businessday/0,163183.html

LIAT summer schedule gives customers more ways to connect
Thursday, July 12 2012

REGIONAL airline LIAT launched its 2012 summer schedule on Wednesday July 4 affording Car-ibbean travellers an extensive network to connect throughout its 21 destinations.

“This summer, LIAT is extremely happy to announce several new routes being offered providing more travel options to the regional market.

“We continue to add more efficient and effective ways of connecting the region and its people,” Manager Schedule Planning, Mr. Dale Stoute said adding that “this summer will be a very interesting and exciting one for the company.”

The ten-week schedule, which runs until September 11, will offer a daily service into and out of Martinique connecting passengers to Antigua and other destinations in the north.

A daily flight will also be introduced from St Kitts to San Juan, Puerto Rico through St Maarten, departing St Kitts at 6:45am and arriving in San Juan at 9:30am. Passengers travelling from San Juan to St Kitts will have two options, departing in the morning at 10:40am and 3:05pm daily.

Two daily San Juan flights from Tortola (British Virgin Islands) were also reintroduced offering morning and evening departures.

Meanwhile, customers originating or connecting in Antigua now have an additional flight to San Juan with the introduction of a 6:45am flight from the V.C. Bird International Airport and arriving in San Juan at 9:40am with the return flight departing at 8:35pm.

Stoute also noted that the addition of these services during the summer were expected to benefit passengers travelling to San Juan for shopping and other services as well as passengers connecting on other airlines through the San Juan hub.

Source: http://www.newsday.co.tt/businessday/0,163182.html

trintocan

Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:11 pm

Quoting N312RM (Reply 16):

This doesn't seem right. To the best of my knowledge, it is the individual aircraft that receives ETOPS certification, not the airline. As I have said in the previous threads, when an airline introduces a new aircraft type, such as BW and the B767, they must be certified by their principal regulator, in this case the TTCAA, as fit to operate the type.

No. There are 2 aspects to ETOPS, namely type approval which is granted to a particular model of aircraft during design certification. The other aspect is operational certification, which is granted to an airline by its regulatory body (in this case the TTCAA) based on the airline's ability to train staff, carry out maintenance procedures and so on with relation to safely conducting such flights. As such, while a 767-300ER may have type approval for say 120 minutes of ETOPS, an airline cannot simply buy one of them and start using it for such flights until it has operational certification. The airline may be able to fly the plane but would be restricted to routes not needing ETOPS approval. Recall if you may this issue arose around 2001 when Trinidad and Tobago was downgraded to Category 2 by the ICAO. Old BW wanted to buy A330s for its LHR route but with the downgrade the TTCAA could no longer grant any ETOPS approvals. BW was forced to buy A340s instead.

Trintocan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

fpofllflyboi

Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:20 pm

Just read in "The Nassau Guardian" link below, that the Bahamas Ministry of Tourism is going after Latin Amierican residents.

Wondering what airlines they are in talks with and what destinations to add to Copa's PTY-NAS? TAM, LAN? What was surprising is that there is no liquor in the airports there, and is there really a market for this venture?

http://www.thenassauguardian.com/ind...ourists&catid=40:business&Itemid=2

guyanam

Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:49 pm

[quote=andrefranca,reply=20][

FJA will quickly drop its GEO routes if it is to survive. That market is already well served assuming that EZJet stays around.

We will see if FJA makes inroads into BWs KIN base. Maybe they will if their service is reliable.

Inbound

Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:34 pm

Congratulations all on reaching 100 Threads.
Good job to a very small selection of members who have taken the personal responsibility of giving us a "home" on this forum over the last 6 years.

Here's to another 100  
Maintain own separation with terrain!

yellowtail

Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:29 pm

Quoting fpofllflyboi (Reply 22):
Wondering what airlines they are in talks with and what destinations to add to Copa's PTY-NAS? TAM, LAN? What was surprising is that there is no liquor in the airports there, and is there really a market for this venture?

TA(AV) for sure. TA has from time to time entertained the idea of expanding more into the Caribbean. With the Panamanian UA getting to all the low hanging fruit, they may have decided the time has come to jump in.

I know CM has been extremely happy with NAS....fur sure TA has seen that.

andrefranca

Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:35 pm

Quoting fpofllflyboi (Reply 22):

I agree with one thing on the article: "inflation prices make bahamas look cheaper" LOL but it's a fact, I've been traveling around on the past 6 years and prices in brazil are unbelievable.....

but G3 is more likely to fly to NAS , JJ very very unlikely, LA maybe.....

speedbird2263

Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:03 am

Congrats on the Century not out! Here's to another 100!      

Straight'n Up 'N Fly Right Son

fpofllflyboi

Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:13 am

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 26):
but G3 is more likely to fly to NAS , JJ very very unlikely, LA maybe.....

G3 actually seems very probable or possible with many Brazilians trying to get to the US. Im absolutely NOT trying to say NAS is an alternative to the US but with Brazilians are still having a tough time getting tourist visas unless things have changed recently.

Any thoughts on flights from Mexico, Colombia or Venezuela?

andrefranca

Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:00 pm

Quoting fpofllflyboi (Reply 28):

G3's flight to MIA was imminent, they started offering out seats to pax redeeming their miles only, I believe the normal flights will soon follow....

the US visa thing can be annoying, when I got mine it was easy breezy, now I heard they're asking to see all the papers...
on the other hand, brazilian GOV is always in talks with Janet Napolitano secretary of homeland secuirty, to put Brazil for good on the visa waiver program, but I think it will take years!

I believe the bahamas will see a lot of us there, but right now the dollar is high compared to our currency so intl travel here is dropping once again....

windian425

Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:35 pm

Keeping my fingers crossed for the PTY-BGI CM service to start this year. Hopefully with the E190.

yellowtail

Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:05 pm

Quoting windian425 (Reply 30):
Keeping my fingers crossed for the PTY-BGI CM service to start this year. Hopefully with the E190.

Fingers crossed for you too at BGI....as long as it doesn't take the place of BZE-PTY 

2travel2know2

Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:29 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 31):
Fingers crossed for you too at BGI....as long as it doesn't take the place of BZE-PTY

Seems that GEO and PBM would have to wait.
A second CM Cuban destination - I believe - is a question of time now.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

A388

Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:13 pm

Congrats on the birth of your children A388! Was wondering why you havent been on for a while good luck with the fathering .
Quoting BW424 (Reply 17):
Congratulations on becoming a father A388!!

As for DAE, I guess they're doing well. 10x weekly seems pretty good. Whenever I'm heading to the airport gym and look at the departure screens, DAE always seems to be leaving later than usual. I'll check their load factors tomorrow to see how they're doing.

Thanks for your replies 817Dreamliiner and BW424!!! I guess because of the 100th anniversary of the Caribbean aviation threads, my post got overlooked by almost everybody else.

BW424, do you have the load factors for the DAE MIA flights? I wonder how that's going.

Cheers,

A388

BW985

Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:57 am

Congratulations to all of us for reaching 100 Caribbean threads!  

Some good news at last?

http://www.newsday.co.tt/businessday/0,163540.html

BW985

baje427

Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:07 pm

Skytrax list the best Caribbean/ Central American airports.

http://www.worldairportawards.com/Aw...2012/list_bestairport_camerica.htm

turk223

Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:58 pm

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 15):
I'll bet on BGI BZE VRA or even GCM SLU
Quoting windian425 (Reply 30):

From your all's mouths to Copa's ears... I am not able to handle one more 16 hour odyssey to get home from Colombia... I tell you!

Because of the hope this optimism from Caribbean Aviation thread buddies gives me, I'm holding back on buying my next flight back home for December... Fingers and toes all crossed.

Congrats on 100 threads... clearly we have a lot to say!

baje427

Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:04 pm

If CM do start PTY-BGI will it be launched this year?

Quoting turk223 (Reply 36):

yellowtail

Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:14 pm

Quoting turk223 (Reply 36):
Because of the hope this optimism from Caribbean Aviation thread buddies gives me, I'm holding back on buying my next flight back home for December... Fingers and toes all crossed.

Me too, I have to buy some tickets to PTY, CTG and BOG for early next year that I am holding off on.

Quoting baje427 (Reply 37):

If CM do start PTY-BGI will it be launched this year?

Well if they announce in say September, that would be a Dec launch but nothing is written in stone.

LimaFoxTango

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:36 pm

Congrats all on the 100 thread mark! I see we have inspired many other regional forums on here. Congrats to A388 as well on becoming a father.

LIAT Shareholders reach decision on aircraft type for fleet renewal

BRIDGETOWN, Barbados, July 20, 2012 – The Majority Shareholders of LIAT,Dr. the Hon. Ralph Gonsalves, Prime Minister of St. Vincent & the Grenadines, The Hon. Freundel Stuart, Q.C., Prime Minister of Barbados and Dr. The Hon. Baldwin Spencer, Prime Minister of Antigua & Barbuda met with the Chairman, Board and Management of LIAT in Bridgetown, Barbados on Friday July 20, 2012 where the shareholders reached several major decisions on the Company’s re-fleeting plans.

Speaking at a press conference following the meeting, Dr. Gonsalves said the Company has completed its analysis and evaluation of the Proposals submitted by aircraft manufacturers.

The three Prime Ministers considered recommendations from the Company’s Board of Directors and Management and unanimously decided upon one aircraft type to renew LIAT’s ageing fleet. The Prime Ministers decided to defer the decision on other aircraft types to allow certain matters to be explored. It is anticipated that these decisions will be made in the short term.

“The Company will now proceed to discussions with the manufacturer of the first type selected. The discussions are intended to consummate in an agreement for the acquisition of new aircraft for the airline. For a number of reasons, we do not wish to declare just which aircraft type has been chosen. It would also be inappropriate at this stage before discussion with the manufacturers to give an indication of the decision of the Company in the selection of an aircraft type,” Dr. Gonsalves added.

The Company anticipates that these negotiations would commence immediately and proceed swiftly and soon thereafter a formal announcement will be made regarding the selection.

http://www.liat.com/navSource.html?page_id=654
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.

817Dreamliiner

Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:33 pm

Quoting LimaFoxTango (Reply 39):

Nice to finally see some progress with LIAT
Please let me know... If you know this is the end of the world, Let me know... If you know the truth...

BWIA 772

Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:56 am

Congrats on thread 100, it was touch and go during the early days but it is nice to see how the thread has flourished.

Quoting LimaFoxTango (Reply 39):
http://www.worldairportawards.com/Aw...2012/list_bestairport_camerica.htm

Well hopefully the ATRs got the nod they really are the best aircraft for the LI route structure. I wonder what the time line will be for delivery of whatever type they choose.

Regards
BWIA 772
Eagles Soar!

andrefranca

Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:58 am

Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 41):

Yes but wouldn't be a huuuuggggeeeee step backward to get LIAT staff already used to Dash metal to get new/different training, etc.... etc.... etc.... will that be cost effective on the long term?

A388

Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:39 am

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 42):
Yes but wouldn't be a huuuuggggeeeee step backward to get LIAT staff already used to Dash metal to get new/different training, etc.... etc.... etc.... will that be cost effective on the long term?

There is no other option as a 50 seater turboprop replacement for LIAT so they don't have any more cost effective way if they want to improve their operational and maintenance costs. If the Q400 can be used throughout their network, even on routes where the Dash-8-100 is currently used, than obviously the Q400 is the better choice but what I've read so far, the Q400 is too much aircraft for all their routes.

How do you think other airlines are doing who have switched from Boeing to Airbus and vice versa? They chose what is best for their future needs. Or do you prefer to stay with older outdated aircraft that will fall apart sooner rather than later?

A388

andrefranca

Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:57 am

Quoting A388 (Reply 43):

Right Liat has to get new planes and make their business more efficient that's for sure, what I was trying to say with other words is: okay let's get the ATR's! but it means, we need new tools/equipment's , we need new training for both maintenance, ground and air staff, changes on systems or procedures, studies for future impact after the planes are being used, so many things, getin' NEW dashes COULD make things so much cheaper.... ok if the dashes are too much plane for them, then we need to sit and wait.

jm017

Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:57 pm

Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 41):
Congrats on thread 100, it was touch and go during the early days but it is nice to see how the thread has flourished.

Yah, congrats! Never short on heated discourse, but for me these threads are highly informative.
"It's okay to cheat, if you just really don't like to lose."

A388

Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:53 pm

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 44):
but it means, we need new tools/equipment's , we need new training for both maintenance, ground and air staff, changes on systems or procedures, studies for future impact after the planes are being used, so many things, getin' NEW dashes COULD make things so much cheaper....

That's what you get when there is no other option in the 50-seat aircraft manufacturers. What new dashes do they need to get, the Q300 is no longer in production, are you aware of that?

ok if the dashes are too much plane for them, then we need to sit and wait.

Wait for what, for your outdated aircraft to break down and fall from the sky or sit on the ground doing nothing because spare parts are too hard to come by? Let your operational costs increase massively because of old aircraft in your fleet which will effect your profitability? Lose because of fuel consuming aircraft while there is a better alternative and only alternative (ATR42-600)? Really, what do you want to wait for?

A388

BWIA 772

Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:55 pm

I really am not understanding where you are going with this. LI route structure is dominated by short routes, the majority of which do not require anything more than 50 seats. Given this fact the only real viable option for LI will be the ATR 42 aircraft. Additionally the Q400 is basically an entirely different than the 300s which LI operates. A point that is made stronger by the fact that LI Dash 8s are all early model with out the Quiet Technology. The simple fact is that during this round of fleet renewal especially after Bombardier stopped production of the Q200 and Q300 LI was at a major change with this current round of fleet renewal.

Major change in fleet is something that small and large airlines all over the world have done since the birth of commercial aviation. LIAT is not the first and it will not be the last.

What I am equally interested in, is who will become LI new CEO. I hope that they can get someone who can help the airline turn around and meet its potential. The same goes for BW.

Regards
BWIA 772
Eagles Soar!

LimaFoxTango

Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:33 pm

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 42):

CAL went the same route, don't recall hearing a big hoopla about that. Not the first time an airline would've switched from one aircraft manufacturer to another. LI does not need the range and speed that Q400 offers. Personally, I'm not an ATR fan, but if that's the way to go, well so be it. Still speculation anyway as to what manufacturer they chose, but word around the water cooler is ATR.

Right Liat has to get new planes and make their business more efficient that's for sure, what I was trying to say with other words is: okay let's get the ATR's! but it means, we need new tools/equipment's , we need new training for both maintenance, ground and air staff, changes on systems or procedures, studies for future impact after the planes are being used, so many things, getin' NEW dashes COULD make things so much cheaper.... ok if the dashes are too much plane for them, then we need to sit and wait.

So be it. All part of moving forward.
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.

Inbound

Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:38 pm

I'm still confused about why Bombardier discontinued production of the Q300s.
It's such a versatile aircraft. All they needed to do were an updated cabin and an avionics suite similar to the Q400.
Would have been a hot seller, I bet.
Maintain own separation with terrain!