BA/BMI Integration: Next Phase!

Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:30 pm

According to ba.com and businesstraveler.com:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...ms-fully-flat-seating-on-bmi-a321s

the next integration phase include:

A new three times-daily service to Rotterdam from December 9
Three flights per week to Alicante from October 28
BA flights to Gibraltar will increase from seven to nine flights per week
The carrier’s Tel Aviv route will increase from 14 to 20 services per week, with the new A321s serving flights from the new year
Bmi services to Dammam will cease on September 16, with routes to Bishkek and Khartoum stopping on October 1, Yerevan on October 13, and Amritsar and Casablanca on October 28
Bmi services to Cairo, Moscow, Riyadh and Jeddah will cease, although BA’s flights to these destinations will continue
BA’s flights to Riyadh will be served with a B747 rather than the current B777

Interesting to see Alicante and Rotterdam added (!!!)...
Next flights : BRU-ZRH-CAI (LX)/ BRU-FCO-TLV (AZ)

thijs1984

RE: BA/BMI Integration: Next Phase!

Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:35 pm

The news about the new route to Rotterdam is also on the Dutch news now:
Starting as from the 9th of December, 3 daily flights with a A320 or A319

http://www.zakenreisnieuws.nl/nl-NL/...af_december_naar_Rotterdam_Airport
Sorry, Dutch only.

tonystan

Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:05 pm

Delighted GIB is increasing cos that early flight from LHR was a pain to connect onto!
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

Ps76

Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:07 pm

Hi!

Here's the link to the new routes from British Airways' website:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/new-routes/public/en_gb

They all seem like good routes to me. The only ones which make me wonder are:

- London City to Isle of Man. Introduced and going to 3 flights each weekday and 1 on Sat. and 2 on Sunday. It seems like a quite strange route to me. I don't know what goes on in the Isle of Man but I can't imagine a large amount of bankers in the city wanting to fly there for the day!

- London City to Venice. Introducing 6 flights a week. Similarly will business types want to fly from the city to Venice?

Many thanks.

Pierre

rutankrd

Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:13 pm

Quoting Ps76 (Reply 3):
the Isle of Man but I can't imagine a large amount of bankers in the city wanting to fly there for the da

Isle of Man is an off shore finance insurance and shipping industry business location.

There is demand.

Ps76

Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:18 pm

Hi!

Quoting rutankrd (Reply 4):
Isle of Man is an off shore finance insurance and shipping industry business location.

I had no idea. That does make a lot more sense.

Many thanks.

Pierre

blink182

Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:23 pm

Has there been a verdict yet on whether GYD will stay or go?
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

seansasLCY

Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:29 pm

Quoting Ps76 (Reply 3):
London City to Isle of Man

This route is being operated by a Saab 2000 of Eastern Airways in BA colours but has gone tech quite a few times since the route launched. 2 days ago I saw it was being operated by a different Saab 2000.

I'm pleased to see Alicante. Although would have preferred LGW service.

mikey72

Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:56 pm

There is demand.

They are also diversifying into the 'space industry' and have schemes to attract the movie industry.

(I don't why my first attempt to explain this wes deleted moderators as it is true)
Flying is like sex - I've never had all I wanted but occasionally I've had all I can stand.

rutankrd

Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:00 pm

Quoting mikey72 (Reply 8):
They are also diversifying into the 'space industry' and have schemes to attract the movie industry.

(I don't why my first attempt to explain this wes deleted moderators as it is true)

Yep its true all right.

Several movies made and some privateer rocket man !

AIR MALTA
Topic Author

Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:12 pm

Quoting seansasLCY (Reply 7):
I'm pleased to see Alicante. Although would have preferred LGW service.

Nice to see BA go back to Spain although 3 weekly is not huge... What surprises me though is the axsing of CMN and not AGA. All other European airlines seem to be doing pretty well in North Africa except BA.

Rotterdam is also a big surprise. 3 A319s a day is an overkill. Or the service might be a slot warmer that will hurt CityJet services to LCY. When the new longhaul are introduced, BA could then drop LHR and replace it by LCY...

Vasu

Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:13 pm

Looks like the UK will lose quite a few direct air routes... Is it now out of the question for BA to start their own flights to the likes of Bishkek, Yerevan etc.?

skipness1E

Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:19 pm

Quoting Ps76 (Reply 3):
Similarly will business types want to fly from the city to Venice?

City is also geared to high end leisure, CFE also fly to Ibiza, Angers, Palma, Mahon, Barcelona, Malaga and Quimper. Indeed by number of destinations, they seem to be a majority! ( We might want to add Nice in there too )

LCY-IOM has gone to three daily already operated by a leased Eastern Saab 2000.

thijs1984

Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:13 pm

Quoting AIR MALTA (Reply 10):
Rotterdam is also a big surprise. 3 A319s a day is an overkill. Or the service might be a slot warmer that will hurt CityJet services to LCY. When the new longhaul are introduced, BA could then drop LHR and replace it by LCY...

It could be. But i still expect good Loadfactors on the LHR-RTM route. Rotterdam / The Hague area is the most densly populated part of the Netherlands and home to many international companies.

shamrock604

Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:41 pm

Quoting skipness1E (Reply 12):

There is also a need to profitably utilise the aircraft outside of the morning and evening business peak times.

As the airlines have discovered, non peak time flights on many strong business routes are financial dogs. It can be more profitable to find a high end leisure route which is less time sensitive to passengers.

planejamie

Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:53 pm

Quoting AIR MALTA (Thread starter):
BA’s flights to Riyadh will be served with a B747 rather than the current B777

Good god! I presumed this would happen, the only thing is BA's flight is the "reverse" of other European carriers at RUH (arriving 6am, departing around 8am, other euro carriers arrive about 9pm and depart 1am ish having served somewhere as a tag on) but I preferred the BA way round as it didn't leave you arriving into the UK at "funny o-clock" (e.g 4am) nor departing the UK at an odd time.

There's certainly demand for a daily 747 as the BD flights were half full but BA was doing rather well with the 772. I presume this will be with a "high J" 747 since the 772s used to be mostly the non-ER ones with more F seats.

jumpjets

Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:06 pm

Quoting vasu (Reply 11):
Is it now out of the question for BA to start their own flights to the likes of Bishkek, Yerevan etc.?

I doubt it - if you look on the BA website the reason quoted for many of the cancellations is poor revenue performance, so they are hardly likely to cancel a BMI service one day and resurrect it as a BA flight any time soon.

It may be that they are planning to strengthen codeshares with S7 to get passengers into CIS countries. I think S7 has a hub in Novosibirsk which is located in southern Russia - just north east of the various 'stans. An A321 with the new mid hall configuration to Novosibirsk [is probably unlikely] might be good use of one of the slots that these cancellations release..

skipness1E

Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:21 pm

Quoting shamrock604 (Reply 14):
It can be more profitable to find a high end leisure route which is less time sensitive to passengers.

Indeed, Friday first wave from LCY is sun oriented rather than business oriented as the bulk of traffic is heading back to Europe in the afternoon.

Thenoflyzone

Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:12 am

Quoting AIR MALTA (Thread starter):
Bmi services to Dammam will cease on September 16

seems like bmi has already stopped serving DMM.

ba.com lists BA8499 as a Majestic Samara Or Limousina Cars from BAH to DMM.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/schedules/public/en_gb

Thenoflyzone
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

ZKOJH

Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:24 am

Just shows you that when BA sold BMED to BMI, they couldn't make it work ,then BD had a go and it proves they screwed up - that was the nail in the coffin starting and now BD have gone and BA are expanding like wild fires

They only draw back I have found is looking at flying from LHR-to-MAN and BA want £330 one way! hahaha WTF!!   (and I've just booked a return ticket PEK-LHR for £450) huum someone at BA need to do the number work again . . .
Vietnam time..

Ps76

Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:48 am

Hi!

Quoting ZKOJH (Reply 19):
They only draw back I have found is looking at flying from LHR-to-MAN and BA want £330 one way!

I don't know how you found this price. Maybe the website had an error or maybe you put in Manchester USA which also comes up when you type MAN.

I just looked and the price for a return flight tomorrow is £46 each way lowest price which to be honest is better than ever.

Maybe you need to be a little more patient!

[Edited 2012-07-18 20:06:25]

mdavies06

Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:52 am

Well at least they have not dropped AMM, BEY, TBS and Almaty as some speculated. However with these CIS and MENA flights going LHR has just lost a few destinations again in the names of profit but I guess its inevitable.

Thenoflyzone

Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:15 am

Quoting jumpjets (Reply 16):

It may be that they are planning to strengthen codeshares with S7 to get passengers into CIS countries. I think S7 has a hub in Novosibirsk which is located in southern Russia

There is also DME, which is S7's primary hub. OVB is their secondary hub.

In all honesty, i'm very surprised that BA decided to keep TBS, but discontinue EVN. Maybe a tag-on LHR-TBS-EVN would have been viable, just like in the old days with BMED.

EVN has had service to LHR since 1997. Sad to see it go !

Thenoflyzone
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

1peter

Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:47 am

Quoting blink182 (Reply 6):
Has there been a verdict yet on whether GYD will stay or go?

Will remain daily.........
Airlines flown; AA, AC, AY, BA, BD, BY, CX, DA, DP, IB, KL, LH, LA, LP, MA & MH

mutu

Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:21 am

Quoting ZKOJH (Reply 19):
Just shows you that when BA sold BMED to BMI, they couldn't make it work ,then BD had a go and it proves they screwed up - that was the nail in the coffin starting and now BD have gone and BA are expanding like wild fires

BA never owned BMED. It was a franchise operator for BA but a totally independent carrier otherwise. BA didnt BID for BMED when it was put on the market and BMI acquired it unopposed.

Regards

skipness1E

Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:08 am

You can get £330 one way if you book a weekday the day before on LHR-MAN, the moral of the story, is book early.

jumpjets

Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:03 am

[quote=skipness1E,reply=25]the moral of the story, is book early
Or book a return! If I wanted to travel tomorrow to MAN on the most expensive morning flight BA have - the 0855 - a single would cost £167. If I booked that same flight in conjunction with an evening flight back to LHR [that I wouldn't use] I could get a fare of £109 round trip. However if time of travel were not a consideration the cheapest flight of the day for a single trip tomorrow would only set you back £77.

Strange but true...but the logic of air and rail fares has always avoided me. I think you would have to work hard, or be nuts, to end up paying £330.

JerseyFlyer

Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:56 am

Quoting shamrock604 (Reply 14):
It can be more profitable to find a high end leisure route which is less time sensitive to passengers.

It may be equally time-sensitive but for a different time of the day. I certainly try to avoid "red-eyes" when travelling for pleasure!

So a win-win strategy for BA at LCY

RWA380

Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:11 am

Quoting vasu (Reply 11):
Looks like the UK will lose quite a few direct air routes... Is it now out of the question for BA to start their own flights to the likes of Bishkek, Yerevan etc.?
Quoting jumpjets (Reply 16):

I doubt it - if you look on the BA website the reason quoted for many of the cancellations is poor revenue performance, so they are hardly likely to cancel a BMI service one day and resurrect it as a BA flight any time soon

As a travel agent, I didn't even know where Bishkek was until about 6-7 years ago, when I had a lady customer who asked me to send her there. The only flights that worked from the USA were the BD flight via LHR, what are the options these days for flights into Bishkek?
Next Flights: PDX-HNL-OGG-LIH-PDX On AS, WP & HA

Thenoflyzone

Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:23 pm

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 28):
what are the options these days for flights into Bishkek?

Now that direct LHR-FRU (via EVN i believe) service will end, not much !

One stops with TK, SU and Air Astana. That's pretty much it out of LHR.

Same for EVN. Without any non-stop service from LHR, the only other options are one stops with AF, SU, UN, OS, LO and RB.

Thenoflyzone

[Edited 2012-07-19 05:25:05]

raffik

Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:41 pm

Anyone know what is happening with Beirut? Daily?
- Alec

HullCitySpotter

Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:51 pm

Quoting Ps76 (Reply 20):
They only draw back I have found is looking at flying from LHR-to-MAN and BA want £330 one way!

No this is actually right. I read on another forum because of the BA/BD intergration; ex BMI flights are now being put up £200 to make the actual BA flights more attractive to customers. Ridiculous... but surprisingly smart strategy.

tonystan

Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:57 pm

Quoting raffik (Reply 30):
Anyone know what is happening with Beirut? Daily?

From BA.COM....

"British Airways will launch a new timetable to Beirut in Lebanon on 28 October 2012. Daily flights will be offered from Heathrow Terminal 1."
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

LX138

Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:49 pm

No surprise about the dropping of some of those routes.

I am surprised about CMN going though, when this is very much a up and coming destination, and I'm sure the airport are keen to attract more services. Pretty much every other airline can make it work including AF etc, so why BA can't I've no idea!?

Quoting AIR MALTA (Reply 10):
Nice to see BA go back to Spain although 3 weekly is not huge... What surprises me though is the axsing of CMN and not AGA. All other European airlines seem to be doing pretty well in North Africa except BA.

Goes to show that the amount of resorts at AGA keeps bums on seats on these flights. Clearly the yields must be there too, which is a surprise considering there is Loco competition.

There is demand.

Not to mention the people living there in general are fairly affluent too.
StarWorld Team - The ultimate airline alliance

seansasLCY

Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:08 pm

Quoting LX138 (Reply 33):
so why BA can't I've no idea!?

Just because they are dropping it does not mean it doesn't work for them but they can probably earn a lot more using the slot to somewhere else.

LX138

Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:21 pm

Quoting seansasLCY (Reply 34):
Just because they are dropping it does not mean it doesn't work for them but they can probably earn a lot more using the slot to somewhere else.

Possibly, but with the amount of short haul slot sitters on at the moment it very much looks like it 'doesn't work for them'!
StarWorld Team - The ultimate airline alliance

BestWestern

Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:45 pm

Quoting LX138 (Reply 33):
Pretty much every other airline can make it work including AF etc

Huge Moroccan community in Paris and business links with France.
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

lh600

Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:16 pm

Any idea what will happen to Tehran IKA?

Thenoflyzone

Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:14 pm

Quoting LH600 (Reply 37):
Any idea what will happen to Tehran IKA?

flights to IKA are currently operated via EVN. Service to EVN ends October 13.

The timetables on ba.com do not show any current flights to IKA, which is weird in itself, but did a dummy booking on LHR-IKA after October 13, and it still shows BD931 on LHR-IKA (one stop) and BD932 on IKA-LHR (one stop).

So i guess the service will continue with another stop enroute besides EVN.

Thenoflyzone

AIR MALTA
Topic Author

Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:01 pm

Quoting thenoflyzone (Reply 38):
So i guess the service will continue with another stop enroute besides EVN.

TBS is being served daily. On 3 day the flights continue to ALA. It might be that on the 4 other days the service would be extended to IKA.

Quoting bestwestern (Reply 36):
Huge Moroccan community in Paris and business links with France.

I do not think Frankfurt has a bigger Moroccan community than London. Nevertheless, LH manages to have flights to CMN and not BA. But I guess that if they say it is not profitable than it must be that.

speedmarque

Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:14 pm

Quoting AIR MALTA (Reply 39):

The Baku service will link on to Tehran.

The Tbilisi will link on to Almaty.

[Edited 2012-07-19 12:28:24]

Baexecutive

Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:17 pm

Quoting AIR MALTA (Reply 39):

I don't know exact figures specific to urban areas however Germany has four times as many Moroccan diaspora than the UK..... 200,000 compared to 50,000.

speedmarque

Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:22 pm

For those interested.

The Amman, Beirut and Tel Aviv services will be operated by Eurofleet LHR crew on Mid Haul A321.

The Baku, Tehran, Tbilisi and Almaty will be operated by Mixed Fleet LHR on Mid Haul A321.

The Cairo will be Mid Haul A321 but fleet operating not confirmed.

The Freetown will be Long Haul 767 operated by Worldwide Fleet LHR.

The new Leeds, Rotterdam, Marseille, Hannover, Alicante and Zagreb routes will be operated by Eurofleet LHR.

The Seoul will be operated by Mixed Fleet LHR crew.

[Edited 2012-07-19 12:24:54]

bergkampsticket

Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:39 pm

I'll enjoy the few 767s flying between LHR-EDI. Day trip to London in October booked!

AIR MALTA
Topic Author

Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:22 pm

In the mean time, schedules have been published for services to Tehran, Freetown and Tblisi

LHR-FNA --3--6- 22:30-05:25 BA137 767 0
FNA-LHR ---4--7 11:00-17:30 BA136 767 0

LHR-TBS 1234567 19:05 03:55 BA159 321 0
TBS-LHR -2-4-67 10:35 12:05 BA158 321 0
TBS-LHR 1-3-5-- 15:30 17:10 BA158 321 0

LHR-IKA 1-3-56- 19:05 05:50 BA159 321 1 via TBS
IKA-LHR -2-4-67 0715 1215 BA158 321 1 via TBS

jumpjets

Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:49 pm

Quoting AIR MALTA (Reply 44):
TBS-LHR -2-4-67 10:35 12:05 BA158 321 0
Quoting AIR MALTA (Reply 44):
IKA-LHR -2-4-67 0715 1215 BA158 321 1 via TBS

Given this is the same flight does it mean that passengers from IKA are force to sit on the plane for an extra ten minutes after those from TBS have disembarked?  

Thenoflyzone

Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:58 pm

Quoting jumpjets (Reply 45):
Given this is the same flight does it mean that passengers from IKA are force to sit on the plane for an extra ten minutes after those from TBS have disembarked?

I think it's the Baku service that will link up to IKA, not TBS.

Thenoflyzone

jumpjets

Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:46 pm

Quoting thenoflyzone (Reply 46):
I think it's the Baku service that will link up to IKA, not TBS.

If you check out the flight numbers you will see that flights to IKA and TBS share the same flight numbers. Baku has a different flight number.

aznmadsci

Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:05 pm

Quoting speedmarque (Reply 42):
For those interested.

Please excuse if this has been addressed, but has BM cabin crew been integrated into BA cabin crew? Are they under Eurofleet LHR?
The journey of life is not based on the accomplishments, but the experience.

edina

Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:45 pm

Quoting aznmadsci (Reply 48):

Over 95% of former LHR based BMI crew have opted to join BAs Eurofleet cabin crew division, with the bulk of those joining the Mixed Fleet operation being from BMIs regional bases who did not have the Eurofleet option.

For ex BMI LHR based cabin crew the options were to go to Eurofleet on BMI pay/conditions & Eurofleet scheduling practices, or drop BMI terms/conditions & join Mixed Fleet with a £10,000 one off sweetener payment (BMI regional based crew do not qualify for this one off payment).
Worked on - Caravelle Mercure A300 A320 F27 SD3-60 BAe146 747-100/200/400 DC10-30 767 777 737-400 757 A319 A321