PHX787
Topic Author

Phoenix Aviation Thread Part 1

Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:54 pm

Hello to all PHX/AZA/CHD/LUF/FFZ Fans 

And welcome to the first official thread regarding aviation in the Phoenix area!

Since we all tend to go off on various thread tangents every time something comes up around here (odd flight, diversions, weather, flight news, etc) I've decided it'd be a good idea to make a thread about Phoenix aviation.

Any and all discussion about aviation around the valley of the sun is welcome!

Some talking points:
Unusual seasonal cuts for US and WN this fall?
AA/US speculated merger and its effects on PHX
The persistent rumors of Asian expansion out of PHX (as once the DEN-NRT service begins, we will be the largest airport in the country without Asian service)
The heat and its effects on aircraft
BA288/289 service, and other international service

Enjoy this thread, and give em hell, devils  
and stay outta the heat too         

Regards, Z
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

mop357

Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:04 pm

Interesting thread. I really hope they start service to Asia. I lived in Phx for 15 months and may move back within the next few months. My next trip is to Asia so I am hoping for a direct flight.

AA is a disappointment to me in Phx. I get buddy passes on AA but have to go through either LAX, ORD, or DFW. I wish they had a direct flight to JFK like Jetblue but I know that is just wishful thinking. So I only take Jetblue.

Do you remember when AA used to fly from PHX to JFK?

chrisair

Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:12 pm

Is this the thread to ask about go arounds at PHX as well?  

PHX787
Topic Author

Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:14 pm

Quoting mop357 (Reply 1):

I wasn't around at the time but my buddy actually was talking about this with me today and he said that he was upset when AA cut that service.

My flight from CVG-PHX roundabouts and goes to JFK about an hour after it lands. Pretty interesting rotation.

Anybody think that US is gonna pick up the CVG route eventually?

EddieDude

Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:33 pm

Anyone knows how AM's HMO-PHX flight is doing?
Next flights: MEX-LAX AM 738, LAX-PVG DL 77L, SHA-PEK CA 789, PEK-PVG CA A332, PVG-ORD MU 77W, ORD-MEX AM 738

mach2is2slowaz

Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:37 pm

I am looking forward to the topics that come up! The best time of year for a spotter in the Valley of the Sun is during the Christmas cargo rush with all of the heavy metal that it brings into the area. This past Christmas Evergreen International and National airlines had several 747 flights a day into and out of Sky Harbor along with increased heavy Fed Ex, UPS and DHL traffic sure beats the constant 737 and A320 traffic. The occasional AN124s, C5 and C17 along with 747-8 and 787 into Williams along with Boeing hot weather test flights make for great spotting.

allegiantflyer

Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:56 pm

well if a AA/US merger happens than all the HQ jobs in the offices in Tempe will be moved to Dallas and it could affect the economy of Phoenix which will be hard to see now that it is starting to be picked back up

EricR

Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:07 am

Quoting chrisair (Reply 2):

Wow. Rough crowd.

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 4):
Anyone knows how AM's HMO-PHX flight is doing?

I have some concerns about this flight. One would assume that AM would do fairly well out of PHX, but this flight seems to cater mostly to Mexican nationals.

However, I suspect that the amount of Mexican nationals traveling between AZ and Mexico has dropped considerably due to the recent immigration laws passed by the State of Arizona combined with a sluggish housing market (an industry that once employed a lot of Mexican nationals during the early/mid 2000's). This flight, once flown 2X daily with mainline aircraft, is now down to 1 regional jet.

Quoting mop357 (Reply 1):

Used to fly 2X daily with a 727 and the schedule would sometimes switch to 1 daily on a DC10.

PHX787
Topic Author

Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:16 am

Quoting EricR (Reply 7):
Quoting chrisair (Reply 2):

Wow. Rough crowd.

Hahaha well if it's noteworthy like BA 289  
Quoting EricR (Reply 7):
I have some concerns about this flight. One would assume that AM would do fairly well out of PHX, but this flight seems to cater mostly to Mexican nationals.

One would think that COPA would add a flight to PHX in that sense, IMO. Or an AM flight to MEX.

Quoting EricR (Reply 7):
Used to fly 2X daily with a 727 and the schedule would sometimes switch to 1 daily on a DC10.

Could the 727 do the range, especially in the heat? Sounds pretty interesting. Especially with a DC10.

Quoting AllegiantFlyer (Reply 6):
well if a AA/US merger happens than all the HQ jobs in the offices in Tempe will be moved to Dallas and it could affect the economy of Phoenix which will be hard to see now that it is starting to be picked back up

I don't think- especially if the population here picks up in movement again- that PHX will have a decent amount of flights (if not more, IMO) even if an AA flight happens.

Quoting mach2is2slowAZ (Reply 5):

Yeah I agree, I just wish there was more daylight to catch the heavies as they arrive in the evening.

allegiantflyer

Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:30 am

NK Announces AZA-ORD Service (by AllegiantFlyer Jul 18 2012 in Civil Aviation)

here is a little update about NK in the area the seem to be expanding i guess which is a good sighn! so check out the thread i posted earlier if you like

seabiscuit

Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:51 am

Anybody have any info on the a/c that was circling the valley about a week ago on the south mountain area? Looked like at least seven or eight loops if I remember correctly. I could not find any news on it and it seemed pretty strange.
Seabiscuit

hz747300

Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:05 am

So if US/AA combine, I assume the merged entity would be a One World airline. I think this would make it unlikely that Phoenix would have additional European service then. Without a merger, and US remaining a Star carrier, I think that a return to FRA service could happen sooner rather than later.

As for Asia service, I just do not see it happening. There are some business ties, sure, but there are no, or extremely low, cultural ties. I believe the largest Asian ethnicity living in PHX is from Vietnam (I recall reading that in the Tribune a while ago), mostly resettled from the Vietnam war area, and there would be no real support for a direct flight to there. I would say, given yields out of PHX, it is more than probable that PHX will have to make do with 1 hops to the Far East for a while. I make this trip at least once a year myself, + a three hour car ride on to Safford.

I am a bit surprised that there is not more Latam service. Especially with increasing odds that the Gadsen Purchase will be un-wound and the Valley will be annexed by Mexico, I have to believe that PHX is worthy of more than just seasonal service to Costa Rica outside of Mexico...

Also, I would love to see B1900D service to Safford  . I know Frontier made it happen once, long before I was on the planet, so someone could make it happen again, right?
Keep on truckin'...

mach2is2slowaz

Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:06 am

The flight

Quoting Seabiscuit (Reply 10):
Anybody have any info on the a/c that was circling the valley about a week ago on the south mountain area? Looked like at least seven or eight loops if I remember correctly. I could not find any news on it and it seemed pretty strange.

It was a test flight for Southern Air 9743. Looks like the plane was recently purchased and they were doing engine tests before sending to the new owner. http://flightaware.com/live/flight/S...3/history/20120710/1900Z/KMZJ/KMZJ

[Edited 2012-07-18 18:14:23]

PHX787
Topic Author

Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:00 am

Quoting Seabiscuit (Reply 10):
Quoting mach2is2slowAZ (Reply 12):
It was a test flight for Southern Air 9743. Looks like the plane was recently purchased and they were doing engine tests before sending to the new owner. http://flightaware.com/live/flight/S.../KMZJ

that's it. It's going to be with Southern Air (and I think based outta CVG, if I'm not mistaken)

Quoting AllegiantFlyer (Reply 9):
here is a little update about NK in the area the seem to be expanding i guess which is a good sighn! so check out the thread i posted earlier if you like

Good for NK and AZA! I'm happy that the airport over there is growing.

Quoting hz747300 (Reply 11):
Without a merger, and US remaining a Star carrier, I think that a return to FRA service could happen sooner rather than later.

I agree with both but it would be some time, i.e. the economy needs to pick up again first before LH service resumes.

As for Asia service, I just do not see it happening. There are some business ties, sure, but there are no, or extremely low, cultural ties. I believe the largest Asian ethnicity living in PHX is from Vietnam (I recall reading that in the Tribune a while ago),

Actually there are a LOT of Chinese here, along with a plethora of Japanese companies. A rumor circulating is that once the economy picks up more jobs from Japan are going to relocate from LA to here because of the political climate of California.

Also, I would love to see B1900D service to Safford . I know Frontier made it happen once, long before I was on the planet, so someone could make it happen again, right?

Well I think Great Lakes can do it  

EricR

Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:35 am

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 8):
Quoting EricR (Reply 7):

Could the 727 do the range, especially in the heat? Sounds pretty interesting.

Yes, the 727 has a range of around 2,400 miles.

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 8):
One would think that COPA would add a flight to PHX in that sense, IMO. Or an AM flight to MEX.

AM could add MEX, but would face competition from US on the route. Also, it is my understanding that most of the Mexican nationals that come to AZ are from the northern half of Mexico, thus the reason why AM serves HMO and used to serve Guaymas.

Especially with increasing odds that the Gadsen Purchase will be un-wound and the Valley will be annexed by Mexico

Say what? I thought I told you to stop reading the National Enquirer.

PHX787
Topic Author

Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:54 am

So I was just asked this trivia question by a fellow member on A.net:

After WN and US, which air carrier employs the most people at Sky Harbor?  
Quoting EricR (Reply 14):
AM could add MEX, but would face competition from US on the route. Also, it is my understanding that most of the Mexican nationals that come to AZ are from the northern half of Mexico, thus the reason why AM serves HMO and used to serve Guaymas.

That does make sense, and besides AM is SkyTeam, right? Makes sense.

EricR

Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:07 am

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 15):

I would assume YV.

mop357

Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:56 am

Quoting EricR (Reply 7):

That sounds like a really long time ago. You recall when they stopped the JFK-PHX? Think they would ever start it up again? Jetblue flights are all full why couldn't AA do it?

Yes, the 727 has a range of around 2,400 miles.

That's really pushing it. JFK to PHX is about a good 2100 miles. Not to mention the headwind on the west bound

EA CO AS

Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:02 am

That's not what I said. I asked, After WN and US, which air carrier employs the most people in the Phoenix area? Key difference.  
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

stasisLAX

Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:15 am

Does anyone know when the long-awaited "Sky Train" will be operational at Sky Harbor?? The current system of shuttle buses to the 44th Street Light Rail station is pathetically bad - and scary with all the homeless/panhandler folks at the station.

I flew into PHX on US a couple of weeks ago, and there was 2 female US FAs on the platform that had called Phoenix police due to some homeless person following them from the shuttle bus drop off, across the street, up onto the light rail platform, and then aggressively telling them to give him money. Not a safe situation, especially at almost midnite on a Saturday night.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

phxa340

Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:45 am

Quoting stasisLAX (Reply 19):

Completion is scheduled for early 2013 (At least to connect the light rail station and east economy lot). The good news is that I park in East Economy every week and a lot of progress has been made.

and scary with all the homeless/panhandler folks at the station.

It will run 24 hours so hopefully the scary factor will go down , but I am with you on that one ... its not the place you want to be at 2 in the morning.

PHX787
Topic Author

Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:51 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 18):
That's not what I said. I asked, After WN and US, which air carrier employs the most people in the Phoenix area? Key difference.

haha my bad. And you know that I know the answer too  
Quoting phxa340 (Reply 20):
Completion is scheduled for early 2013 (At least to connect the light rail station and east economy lot). The good news is that I park in East Economy every week and a lot of progress has been made.

Just to T4 on Q1 2013. Terminal 3 in 2015 (estimated.)

It will run 24 hours so hopefully the scary factor will go down , but I am with you on that one ... its not the place you want to be at 2 in the morning.

I hate being on public transportation after 11PM at night -_-

atcsundevil
Crew

Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:07 am

Quoting AllegiantFlyer (Reply 6):

I doubt it will have much effect on the Phoenix economy. It should remain a large hub IF they do merge, and I'd guess that some things will stay here, like the US training center west of the airport.

Quoting EricR (Reply 16):
I would assume YV.

I don't think so. Last I heard was their ground handling was turned over to Piedmont or somebody. OO has also taken a bunch of YV flying. I'm not as in the loop as I used to be when my roommates worked for YV at PHX, but I do know that YV has been pretty gutted over the past two years.

Completion is scheduled for early 2013 (At least to connect the light rail station and east economy lot).

I thought they were shooting for the end of this year for the holiday season, but it seems you're right. I know they've slipped the dates a couple of times.

For me, it would make more sense to open the segment from T4 to the light rail and open the segment to T3 and walkway to T2 later. It would at least get the majority of passengers to where they need to go. And because waiting for that freaking bus is a joke. I guess they have some rationale for it, but whatever.

PHX787
Topic Author

Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:32 am

Quoting atcsundevil (Reply 22):
I thought they were shooting for the end of this year for the holiday season, but it seems you're right. I know they've slipped the dates a couple of times.

What's taking so long for it to be completed? Testing? Errors? Labor issues?

For me, it would make more sense to open the segment from T4 to the light rail and open the segment to T3 and walkway to T2 later. It would at least get the majority of passengers to where they need to go. And because waiting for that freaking bus is a joke. I guess they have some rationale for it, but whatever.

The grand master plan or whatever has it going to the rental car center by 2020. Apparently.

I don't think so. Last I heard was their ground handling was turned over to Piedmont or somebody. OO has also taken a bunch of YV flying. I'm not as in the loop as I used to be when my roommates worked for YV at PHX, but I do know that YV has been pretty gutted over the past two years.

According to EA CO AS it's Alaska. 200+ employees here in PHX. Quite interesting  

wn676

Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:52 am

Piedmont handles all US Airways Express flights (YV and OO) above- and below-wing at PHX.
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.

atcsundevil
Crew

Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:25 am

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 23):

No clue. I know they've been testing it for maybe a month or so. It seems hard to believe that testing would take upwards of six months, but what do I know.. I'm assuming they want to open it to all terminals at the same time. They've made pretty good progress on the walkway to T2 but they've been busy digging up Sierra and they'll dig up Tango when they're done. It's screwing over the tower guys because only having two N/S taxiways makes things interesting around 8-9am. Same thing happened when they closed Romeo to put up the bridge, but that was almost worse because it made taxi times ridiculous.

The grand master plan or whatever has it going to the rental car center by 2020. Apparently.

Yeah, but it has to get funding allocated first. I'll bet that 2020 date will slip back a year or two. They've already incurred some pretty hefty cost overruns (in the hundreds of millions..) so that may hamper things a little. I don't know how they can build an APM that costs the same as the 20-some mile light rail. I'm sure the bridge was expensive as hell, so that probably didn't help.

According to EA CO AS it's Alaska. 200+ employees here in PHX. Quite interesting

Oh yeah.. they have a res center in Ahwatukee or something.

allegiantflyer

Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:28 pm

Quoting atcsundevil (Reply 25):
No clue. I know they've been testing it for maybe a month or so. It seems hard to believe that testing would take upwards of six months, but what do I know.. I'm assuming they want to open it to all terminals at the same time. They've made pretty good progress on the walkway to T2 but they've been busy digging up Sierra and they'll dig up Tango when they're done. It's screwing over the tower guys because only having two N/S taxiways makes things interesting around 8-9am. Same thing happened when they closed Romeo to put up the bridge, but that was almost worse because it made taxi times ridiculous.
Does anyone know when the long-awaited "Sky Train" will be operational at Sky Harbor?? The current system of shuttle buses to the 44th Street Light Rail station is pathetically bad - and scary with all the homeless/panhandler folks at the station.

after testing it was delayed because the train kept sliding off the bars and back down because of the arch its on,and that was with no people on it.could of been way worse though if there had been so for our saftey they need more time to figure it out.

EricR

Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:17 pm

Quoting EricR (Reply 16):
I would assume YV.

I knew US replaced a lot of the YV flying, but thought there may be enough employees remaining to push them into the #3 spot. I forget about the AS res center.

Quoting mop357 (Reply 17):
Quoting EricR (Reply 7):

That sounds like a really long time ago. You recall when they stopped the JFK-PHX? Think they would ever start it up again? Jetblue flights are all full why couldn't AA do it?

AA started and stopped PHX-JFK several times. I know their last attempt at PHX - JFK was in the 2004 time frame. From what I recall, this was a response to HP's attempt at transcon service. I believe the flight only lasted about a year. You can see it listed in the timetable below.
http://www.airtimes.com/cgat/usa/american/pdf/aa040701.pdf

Never say never, but with US, DL, and B6 on the route, I think it may be a long shot for AA to start the route again unless the merger with US goes through.

goosebayguy

Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:27 pm

Has anyone any photo of the light railway around the terminal area? I was in PHX a couple of years ago stayed in a hotel nearby but needed the railway to get there and back each day. That bus was a real pain!

PHX787
Topic Author

Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:51 pm

Quoting goosebayguy (Reply 28):
Has anyone any photo of the light railway around the terminal area? I was in PHX a couple of years ago stayed in a hotel nearby but needed the railway to get there and back each day. That bus was a real pain!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcGzLZpkaLw you can see the station in the background at the beginning of the video.

Yeah, but it has to get funding allocated first. I'll bet that 2020 date will slip back a year or two.

Yeah I guess you're right.

Same thing happened when they closed Romeo to put up the bridge, but that was almost worse because it made taxi times ridiculous.

Oh jeez I can only imagine. How wide is Romeo in comparison to the others?

eagle125

Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:37 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Thread starter):
The persistent rumors of Asian expansion out of PHX (as once the DEN-NRT service begins, we will be the largest airport in the country without Asian service)
Quoting PHX787 (Reply 13):
As for Asia service, I just do not see it happening. There are some business ties, sure, but there are no, or extremely low, cultural ties. I believe the largest Asian ethnicity living in PHX is from Vietnam (I recall reading that in the Tribune a while ago),

Actually there are a LOT of Chinese here, along with a plethora of Japanese companies. A rumor circulating is that once the economy picks up more jobs from Japan are going to relocate from LA to here because of the political climate of California.

Not familiar with the Phoenix market, but it seems like PHX should be on the short list of new service to Japan. If a US/AA merger were to happen, I could see AA routing Japan passengers through LAX and JL (oneworld) initiating 787 service to PHX, similar to SAN.

Say if there was no merger, what would stop US from starting NRT themselves?
AT7, M80, 83, 88, E145, 190, B722, 732, 733, 735, 73G, 752, 772, 77W, A319, 320, 343

Maverick623

Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:55 pm

Quoting eagle125 (Reply 30):
Not familiar with the Phoenix market, but it seems like PHX should be on the short list of new service to Japan.

As it is right now, the market probably wouldn't sustain it. If it improves, and the merger happens, then we would likely see a NRT frequency from PHX (as well as an additional LHR or possibly FRA, depending on what happens with AA).

Aircraft availability and pilot issues. US won't have enough airplanes for any TATL or TransPac ex-PHX until 2014-2015, and even then they're not allowed to base an East crew (which would get the widebodies) in PHX, making it cost-prohibitive.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

PHX787
Topic Author

Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:27 pm

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 31):
Aircraft availability and pilot issues. US won't have enough airplanes for any TATL or TransPac ex-PHX until 2014-2015, and even then they're not allowed to base an East crew (which would get the widebodies) in PHX, making it cost-prohibitive.

^ that. Once more 330s and the 350s arrive, given no merger, I definitely see this happening, given JL/NH doesn't do it.

chumley

Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:10 pm

Random PHX question that has always bothered me. Does anybody know the purpose of T4 having 2 concourses for each letter, rather than each concourse having it's own letter? I find it odd that if my flight leaves from B12 it's on a different concourse than B16. Why not just have A, B, C, D, E, F, and G, or simplify it and have just A gates on the north side of the terminal and B gates on the south side?

chrisair

Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:28 pm

and scary with all the homeless/panhandler folks at the station.

That station is nothing. Try going to the Circle K across the street. Or about 3 blocks west on Washington. It's an awful, awful area, complete with crack dens, hookers and god only knows what else.

The good news is that I park in East Economy every week and a lot of progress has been made.

I park in Garage B and can't figure out why level 4 isn't connected to the train station. I also hope the busses will continue to run to terminal 3 and 2 from the garage. Terminal 2 is a great place to park (now that you can park down below), but it fills up fast.

IIRC, it's always been early 2013. It's been cool to see them building it over the last 5-6 years. It's also really nice not having a 1/2" thick layer of construction dust on my car after every trip. A recent Republic article talks about the project: http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...nix-sky-train-faces-cost-hike.html

Oh yeah.. they have a res center in Ahwatukee or something.

They're across from Ahwatukee on 50th between Ray and Chandler. It's in some nondescript big building--I've been driving by it for years and only recently learned it was there.

PHX787
Topic Author

Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:56 pm

Quoting chrisair (Reply 34):
That station is nothing. Try going to the Circle K across the street. Or about 3 blocks west on Washington. It's an awful, awful area, complete with crack dens, hookers and god only knows what else.

It's strange, the Washington/Priest area is all brand new with prominent businesses, then you go on to the other side of the loop 202 and you have a horrible neighborhood. I think the city should do something about that, or let the new sky train be a catalyst for redevelopment in that part of Phoenix.

Terminal 2 is a great place to park (now that you can park down below), but it fills up fast.

It is quite convenient, that garage. Then again, all of the garages are easy to park in and easy to walk to the terminal in.

IIRC, it's always been early 2013. It's been cool to see them building it over the last 5-6 years.

Ok i see, thanks.

redflyer

Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:06 pm

Quoting chumley (Reply 33):
Does anybody know the purpose of T4 having 2 concourses for each letter, rather than each concourse having it's own letter? I find it odd that if my flight leaves from B12 it's on a different concourse than B16. Why not just have A, B, C, D, E, F, and G, or simplify it and have just A gates on the north side of the terminal and B gates on the south side?

It's the way we do things here in Phoenix - the hard way. The same reason why there's 3 terminals, but they are numbered 2, 3, and 4, and not 1, 2, and 3. Makes sense, right?  
My other home is a Piper Cherokee 180C

EddieDude

Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:53 am

AM already had mainline service between MEX and PHX, but quit some years ago. They kept the HMO-PHX flight only.
Next flights: MEX-LAX AM 738, LAX-PVG DL 77L, SHA-PEK CA 789, PEK-PVG CA A332, PVG-ORD MU 77W, ORD-MEX AM 738

atcsundevil
Crew

Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:16 am

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 29):
Oh jeez I can only imagine. How wide is Romeo in comparison to the others?

It's a group 5 taxiway just like S and T, which is what pretty much every taxiway at PHX is (except most of Alpha, but I think they're planning on expanding/reconstructing Alpha sometime soon). There are some restrictions though -- some places can't have 747s taxi side-by-side and something about Charlie because of the location of the gates on the ends of the piers. Its been a while since I learned that stuff, but since two 747s on the ground at the same time would be a major event (sadly), it isn't really all that pertinent.

You can probably Google the exact definitions of the taxiway groups if you're interested. It's Group I-V with V being able to handle a 747. The A380 has thrown a wrench in this whole system from what I understand. Airports that handle the 380 have to take all sorts of measurements to implement restrictions that don't apply to 747s. MIA is a good example -- I think they only have one route the LH 380 can take, which probably means stopping/re-routing other taxiing traffic. PHX started an A380 study a few months ago for some ridiculous reason, but I doubt much will materialize.

stasisLAX

Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:03 am

OMG, that Circle K is like the ninth gate of hell. Scary doesn't adequately describe that convenience store!
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

phxa340

Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:10 am

I park in Garage B and can't figure out why level 4 isn't connected to the train station.

How exactly do you get to the tram anyways , I know from the surface lot there are escalators , does Garage A connect to the tram ... it seems like such an expensive project for marginal benefit. LAX could have used this system so much more.

atcsundevil
Crew

Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:22 am

Quoting stasisLAX (Reply 39):
OMG, that Circle K is like the ninth gate of hell. Scary doesn't adequately describe that convenience store!

Where are the other eight? Tucson, probably..

It's not the best area but that's what you typically get around inter-city airports. I've been at that light rail stop at all times of the day and night and I don't worry about it. There are many other places I'd rather be, but if someone really wants to jump me, I'll welcome the challenge.

crj900lr

Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:26 am

Possibly Piedmont as they took over the US Express ground handling. Wonder how those employees are enjoying the "Piedmont way" of doing things??

atcsundevil
Crew

Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:35 am

Quoting crj900lr (Reply 42):
Possibly Piedmont as they took over the US Express ground handling. Wonder how those employees are enjoying the "Piedmont way" of doing things??

^^ Answer is above. It's AS. I'd imagine Piedmont and Mesa run a close 4th and 5th. It can't be any worse for them than it was with Mesa.

chrisair

Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:51 am

That was the Circle K I bought my (non-winning, unfortunately) Mega-Millions ticket back when the jackpot was some insane number. A guy with a glock strapped to his leg was behind me and a homeless dude bought a few King Cobras and some tickets as well. Gotta love it.

There's another great Circle K at 32nd/Van Buren. Right next to the Econo-Lodge PHX Airport and the Central City Addiction Recovery center.

And my favorite Circle K is next to the hotel I routinely find myself at in PHX: 48th st/Broadway. That Hampton Inn is next to the liquor store, check cashing place and some very seedy looking apartments.

Somehow they get $250+/night in the spring.

Quoting atcsundevil (Reply 41):
Where are the other eight? Tucson, probably..

Har har.

Quoting phxa340 (Reply 40):
How exactly do you get to the tram anyways , I know from the surface lot there are escalators , does Garage A connect to the tram

I'm pretty sure you go left instead of right from the elevators in Garage B then up the escalator and end up immediately across from the elevators in Garage B.

bristolflyer

Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:35 am

Quoting chrisair (Reply 44):
Somehow they get $250+/night in the spring.

One of the Spring Training venues is right near there.
Fortune favours the brave

EricR

Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:03 am

Quoting bristolflyer (Reply 45):

That is Tempe Diablo Stadium - the spring training facilities for the California Angels.

PHX787
Topic Author

Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:09 am

Quoting atcsundevil (Reply 38):
PHX started an A380 study a few months ago for some ridiculous reason, but I doubt much will materialize.

When an A-380 lands at PHX for regular service, I will cut my long hair short.

Quoting atcsundevil (Reply 41):
Tucson, probably..

A guy with a glock strapped to his leg was behind me and a homeless dude bought a few King Cobras and some tickets as well. Gotta love it.

My buddy- another long haired metal head- works at the Circle K in Mesa on Dobson/Guadalupe and he was in the back while it was getting robbed. He heard it happen, walked outside after taking off his shirt and roared, and the robbers ran off screaming- with no money, and one of them dropped their guns.

wn676

Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:03 am

That's nothing, try the Chevron at 24th/Washington at about 2 am. Or head out to where I used to live in Maryvale at any time of day and take your pick. 44th/Washington is tame in comparison. I used to ride my bike from there late at night and never had any real problems, and even parking at 38th Street for a few years felt pretty safe even at odd hours of the night. Obviously it's a little sketchy there, but you could definitely do a lot worse around Sky Harbor.
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.

RedTailDTW

Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:09 pm

Econo-Lodge PHX Airport

Before I moved to Phoenix I didn't know any better and I stayed there before my flight the next morning. I don't know how I got through that without some virus 

But in all honesty, most Circle K's are ghetto in their own way...hence why I try to go to QuikTrip if I can. Although I have seen a few weird people at their locations as well.

Back on topic, what is the update on the terminals. I think they should build the last concourse onto Terminal 4 and move AS, UA, and ZK over there. Then that would allow them to just demolish T2. Unless the city feels that maintaining a whole terminal for two carriers is less expensive than just building them a new concourse.

- Mason
Airlines Flown: AA, CO, HP, MQ, NW, RP, UA, US, WN, YX / Aircraft Flown: 737-200/300/700/800, 757-200/300, 777-200, A319/A320/A321, DC-9-30/50, DC-10-40, ERJ 140/145, E170, MD80/83/90