ozglobal

New QF Brand Image - What Do You Think?

Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:05 pm

They are trying to tap some Australian national identity and patriotism to stem the flow of Australians who have fled to ME and Asian carriers, I suppose. Not too bad, but the main reason I stay with them is status and their F product on A380 (when I can afford it). Thinking of switching one day to CX Maro Polo Club, but for now still with QF. This commercial is unlikely to pull any heartstrings like the "I still call Australia home" campaign once did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQWynxRlFw0&feature=g-u-u

[Edited 2012-07-22 14:35:28]
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

Ps76

RE: New QF Brand Image - What Do You Think?

Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:16 pm

Hi!

Though it may appeal to Australians I personally didn't really feel what they were saying. I would rather have had them show some planes and Australia's scenery or maybe some poor kid in a dusty outback town saying he wanted to be a pilot when he grew up and then showing him flying for Qantas or something in the next shot when he's all grown up.

Or maybe they could do somthing groundbreaking and be the first airline to feature flightsim as well as real flying in an airline ad. They have great scenery in FsX with Orbx products! A shot of a real pilot pulling into the airport with a Qantas tail behind the fence and a hot girlfriend and a cool car followed by an adult sitting in his basement with his Mom playing flightsim with the Qantas plane.

Many thanks.

Pierre

[Edited 2012-07-22 14:21:01]

aerohottie

Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:59 am

Another Olivia Wurth fail... not surprised
What?

qf002

Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:20 am

I don't like it, but I'm open to seeing where they take it...

IMO QF needs to stop trying to take the emotional route (the emotional connection is already there, and is strong), and needs to start talking about their product and how they are improving the airline.

JQflightie

Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:13 am

Can i say, as an employee, i think the new ad is going in the right direction!

Quoting Ps76 (Reply 1):
Though it may appeal to Australians I personally didn't really feel what they were saying. I would rather have had them show some planes and Australia's scenery or maybe some poor kid in a dusty outback town saying he wanted to be a pilot when he grew up and then showing him flying for Qantas or something in the next shot when he's all grown up.

Have a think about it, it show images of people from all different backgrounds from all over australia, Young and Old, City and Country. 'We fly people, not planes' its pretty clear.

QF copped flack over the last ads with the 'gladiator' theme music, people didnt like it, but it showed the product. It worked.

'I still call australia home' although iconic, and very Qantas, but it is old Qantas, this is a fresh idea and needs to be done, because when you think about it, the travelling public, the younger generation, lets say under 25, wont really relate to 'i still call australia home' as they would have been quiet young when that was released. But the all know who Daniel Johns is and Silverchair  
Next Trip: PER-DPS-KUL-BKK-HKT-CNX-BKK-SIN-PER

allrite

Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:20 am

As I said in another thread, I quite expect the surfer girl at the end to turn to face the camera and say "Where the bloody hell are ya?". I think a lot more could have been done with the ad. This feels like damage control advertising, not inspiration.
I like artificial banana essence!

mariner

Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:24 am

Quoting allrite (Reply 5):
I quite expect the surfer girl at the end to turn to face the camera and say "Where the bloody hell are ya?".

I didn't get that feeling at all. I think it's a pretty good ad.

mariner
aeternum nauta

sccutler

Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:30 am

Good ad, good imagery.

But I could not help but feel a little misty echo of, "Am I with Ansett? Absolutely!"
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

EK413

Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:53 am

"I still call Australia home" will be missed with the B744 @ the end...

It's going to take a while for this new campaign to grow on me... I'll give QF some slack at least they are trying!

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

cmf

Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:57 am

Quoting OzGlobal (Thread starter):
Thinking of switching one day to CX Maro Polo Club

Often you can maintain status when changing FF program by showing your records of last years flights and status in the current FF program.
Don’t repeat earlier generations mistakes. Learn history for a better future.

ghifty

Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:58 am

I like the "the reason we fly is you" campaign, and it was a pretty good (if not boring) ad. I feel like the differences between all the people/cultures/societies within Australia should be more clear. The score about 1/3 in the ad was a little strange..

Are they going to do a mosaic livery a la KLM?
Fly Delta Jets

qf340500

Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:06 am

i like it, and i think also like qf002 says, the emotional connection seems to be there. Now they need people to get excited about FLYING with them, and NOT with EK, SQ, etc

allrite

Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:12 am

Quoting ghifty (Reply 10):
The score about 1/3 in the ad was a little strange..

My first impression, and that of my wife, was that we didn't like that bit of the score. But now I think about it, the discontinuity jars and makes you pay attention. So it could be a clever advertising strategy.
I like artificial banana essence!

alitaliadc10

Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:16 am

Here is a nice article that sums it up nicely...it's a total disgrace that QF put out such rubbish...

http://www.airlinehubbuzz.com/the-new-qantas-ads-missed-opportunity/
Orbis non sufficit

mariner

Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:26 am

Quoting AlitaliaDC10 (Reply 13):
.it's a total disgrace that QF put out such rubbish...

I don't think it "rubbish" in any way - but I do think it is meant for real people and not airline folk.

mariner

[Edited 2012-07-22 23:34:51]
aeternum nauta

TheCommodore

Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:42 am

Quoting aerohottie (Reply 2):
Another Olivia Wurth fail... not surprised

Its not her fault, she's just the messenger, albeit a terrible one.

Quoting qf340500 (Reply 11):
Now they need people to get excited about FLYING with them, and NOT with EK, SQ, etc

That's going to involve pulling a large rabbit out of a hat, before that happens I'm afraid.

Don't like it, so I don't think much of it at all.

IMHO, Qantas has lost its way in the past several years.
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

DeltaB717

Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:01 am

Can I just say the surfer girl is a nice touch    Meanwhile, ummm...

Quoting JQflightie (Reply 4):
'I still call australia home' although iconic, and very Qantas, but it is old Qantas, this is a fresh idea and needs to be done, because when you think about it, the travelling public, the younger generation, lets say under 25, wont really relate to 'i still call australia home' as they would have been quiet young when that was released.

While I see your point I don't entirely agree... a few years ago 'I Still Call Australia Home' was redone and used again, and as far as I know quite successfully. I don't see why that couldn't have been done again. Well, except that the Qantas Group is becoming less and less about Australia. Which I suppose makes this new attempt a little irrelevant to Australians as well... just saying!

Thai744

Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:14 am

It's all very well TALKING about it... but when are QF going to actually DO IT and have a nice modern and state-of-the-art fleet ACROSS THE BOARD and a consistent service level to go with it?

EK413

Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:56 am

Quoting Thai744 (Reply 17):
when are QF going to actually DO IT and have a nice modern and state-of-the-art fleet ACROSS THE BOARD

Hmmm...

Brand NEW A380s, B737s, B787s, Refurbished B744s, Refurbished B763s, Retirement of the B734s...

I love A.Net CEO's....

EK413

VH-BZF

Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:17 am

It has taken a while to grow on me, admittedly it's very different to anything QF have done previously. I think QF are having to take a fresh approach to their advertising and it's all part of their transformation project. QF have decided to put an advert together that doesn't focus on their people or planes, rather, the reason they fly! I understand that their manager of PR/marketing has said they still own the right to ISCAH and that they have parked it for a while, but they still recognise that it's a powerful marketing tool. I can live with that!

BZF
Ansett Australia - (was) One of the worlds great airlines!

ozglobal

Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:06 am

Quoting VH-BZF (Reply 19):
It has taken a while to grow on me, admittedly it's very different to anything QF have done previously. I think QF are having to take a fresh approach to their advertising and it's all part of their transformation project. QF have decided to put an advert together that doesn't focus on their people or planes, rather, the reason they fly! I understand that their manager of PR/marketing has said they still own the right to ISCAH and that they have parked it for a while, but they still recognise that it's a powerful marketing tool. I can live with that!

My main problem is that the campaign appeals to national and cultural 'loyalty'; a sort of 'family' bond. The issue with that is that most Australian's are totally mercinary when they by a long haul plane ticket and go only for price first, then level of service. QF are losing to ME and Asian carriers on these points and nothing in this campaign addresses the customer perception of poor value for money. Therefore, how will this image help claw back any market share long since lost to SQ, EK, EY, TG, CX, etc, etc.?
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

mariner

Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:39 am

Quoting ozglobal (Reply 20):
QF are losing to ME and Asian carriers on these points and nothing in this campaign addresses the customer perception of poor value for money.

I'm Australian, I don't have that perception of Qantas - I think it is good value for money, and I don't fly Emirates (which i sometimes do) just because of the price.

I don't think this ad is attempting to address the issues you raise. I think the intention is to make people feel "warm and fuzzy" about Qantas again. Then they can address the other issues that you raise.

This is only a chapter - it isn't the whole book.

mariner
aeternum nauta

JQflightie

Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:15 pm

Quoting DeltaB717 (Reply 16):
While I see your point I don't entirely agree... a few years ago 'I Still Call Australia Home' was redone and used again, and as far as I know quite successfully. I don't see why that couldn't have been done again. Well, except that the Qantas Group is becoming less and less about Australia. Which I suppose makes this new attempt a little irrelevant to Australians as well... just saying!

Define an Australian.... Ofcourse its becoming less about Australia, QF has to think globally and be attractive to everyone, not just Australians.
Next Trip: PER-DPS-KUL-BKK-HKT-CNX-BKK-SIN-PER

infinit

Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:30 pm

It's a nice ad, a little like the old SQ ads where they don't show any hint of a plane. Its all about the imagery and emotions.

But... this doesn't change the fact that that QF is not going to do well until it finally gets a hub somewhere up North. Australia is just too far South to be commercially viable. Or they go the other way and focus on domestic and regional routes in the Southwest Pacific, and a few key international routes. Bigger isn't necessarily better

Tbone354

Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:41 pm

At the risk of being accused as a sexist pig, I liked the first few seconds. Did not understand the rest of it until the last few seconds with the Qantas kangaroo logo. Then I said to myself, (self...Ah-Ha!) I get it. But then again, I need a checklist to boil water.

hnl-jack

Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:49 pm

I don't think this is that much of a disconnect with the "Australia Home" campaign. Appears they are trying to personalize that message by saying the airline is there to serve you, the people of Australia. It's worldly competitors can't say that. Qantas is Australia's airline and without the support of Australians, it would cease to exsist. The commercial is well produced with interesting images, but I felt it somewhat lacked the emotion required to make such a message work. In other words, I think the strategy is right, however the execution needs some tweaking to get the right response from the viewer.

DeltaB717

Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:59 pm

Quoting EK413 (Reply 18):
Brand NEW A380s, B737s, B787s, Refurbished B744s, Refurbished B763s, Retirement of the B734s..

When were the B767s refurbished!?!? And as for the retirement of the B734, well I won't hold my breath waiting for that to be finished.

Quoting JQflightie (Reply 22):
Define an Australian.... Ofcourse its becoming less about Australia, QF has to think globally and be attractive to everyone, not just Australians.

That's a really good point, it's just a shame they're so keen on expanding their business in Asia at what appears to be the expense of what it claims is still its 'home' network.

mariner

Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:02 pm

Quoting DeltaB717 (Reply 26):
That's a really good point, it's just a shame they're so keen on expanding their business in Asia at what appears to be the expense of what it claims is still its 'home' network.

Go where the money is?

The earlier history of Qantas was as Australia's international airline. For decades, it was not allowed to fly domestically.

mariner
aeternum nauta

Baexecutive

Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:00 pm

Its a very 'airliney' commercial, I like it, it's emotive and patriotic which is fantastic but I think it needs a twist.

I like allrites post (reply5) saying the surfer girl turns and says where the bloody hell are ya.....I think it needs a twist to show that they (QANTAS) aren't rigid and stuffy but do have an Australian sense of humour too.

Overall I think it's good, but the next one has to better.

TheCommodore

Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:28 am

Quoting mariner (Reply 27):
The earlier history of Qantas was as Australia's international airline. For decades, it was not allowed to fly domestically.

What exactly do you mean "earlier history" and for decades was not allowed to fly "domestically"

This is my understanding of Qantas timeline into history. They flew the PM and staff around in 1924, only 4 yrs after beginning in 1920, primarily as a mail/parcel carrier.Do you mean after about the mid fifty's or so, when TAA was around ?

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airl...istory-through-the-years/global/en

[Edited 2012-07-23 20:31:55]
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

mariner

Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:58 am

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 29):
.Do you mean after about the mid fifty's or so, when TAA was around ?

During the Two Airline policy, TAA and Ansett flew domestically, Qantas flew international.

mariner
aeternum nauta

Thai744

Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:52 am

Quoting EK413 (Reply 18):
Hmmm...

Brand NEW A380s, B737s, B787s, Refurbished B744s, Refurbished B763s, Retirement of the B734s...

I love A.Net CEO's....

Hmmm... not sure what dictionary you're using, but just "bunging in a few new seats" into their 767's makes them refurbished, does it?

Retirement of the 734's?? How many more years will that take?

B787's ....?? Yep... don't see any of those in the sky just now.

Even with these "refurbishments" their standards are still way behind that of the aircraft that other airlines are flying to Australia - SQ, QR, EY, EK to name but four. (Seat pitch way less on QF as well - 31 inches?)

Domestically, DJ's fleet is far more modern than QF's and a much more pleasant experience.

Gotta love these a.net CEO's who love to put a spin on everything to try and paint it as something it's not. Hmmm... you're not Alan Joyce in disguise are you?

qf002

Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:44 am

Quoting Thai744 (Reply 31):
"bunging in a few new seats" into their 767's makes them refurbished, does it?

It was a disappointing 'refurbishment', sure, but new seats, carpets and LCD screens is decent, given that the planes will be leaving the fleet very soon. QF has also committed to providing IFE on the 767 fleet by way of iPads/wireless delivery, which is a major leap forward for these aircraft.

Whose fault is that? The point is that QF is doing what they can to modernise their fleet, if there are delays at the other end then there is little they can do about that. Even under the existing plan, QF will be replacing their 767's with fully refurbished A330's with their latest domestic product, which will offer a significantly better experience than the DJ 737's they will compete with on many routes.

Domestically, DJ's fleet is far more modern than QF's and a much more pleasant experience.

Wait, hasn't DJ been removing IFE from their aircraft as QF has been rolling it out? Well over half of QF's domestic fleet will include free personal entertainment for all passengers very soon (A330's, 767's and newer 737's), plus on those flights operated by international A330's and 747's.

DJ's 737's are pretty much identical to QF's older 738's, The only difference being that the seats are a couple of years newer, though there appears to be a number of aircraft still sporting the old Y seats (even following J refit), and plenty still flying with Y+. The E190's are nice, as are the brand new A330's, but the two ex-EK A330's are miserable (and certainly not 'far more modern than QF')

I actually think that a refitted JQ plane provides the most pleasant seating experience domestically (including the most legroom ironically enough)... DJ and QF are on par with each other (each has their strengths and weaknesses).

Gotta love these a.net CEO's who love to put a spin on everything to try and paint it as something it's not.

I could say the same for those making the sweeping statement that DJ has a better product domestically, ignoring the fact that there are strengths/weaknesses to both... Try comparing an old DJ A330 to a QF A330, or doing a fleet-wide IFE comparison. There's a lot of hype about DJ's new product, but the only place where they really outright 'beat' QF is in J on the new A330's and when you bring the (diminishing) 734 fleet into it.

EK413

Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:48 am

Quoting DeltaB717 (Reply 26):
When were the B767s refurbished!?!? And as for the retirement of the B734, well I won't hold my breath waiting for that to be finished.

Someone's been hiding under a rock and it certainly not me!

Even with these "refurbishments" their standards are still way behind that of the aircraft that other airlines are flying to Australia - SQ, QR, EY, EK to name but four. (Seat pitch way less on QF as well - 31 inches?)

Gotta love these a.net CEO's who love to put a spin on everything to try and paint it as something it's not. Hmmm... you're not Alan Joyce in disguise are you?

B734s are being phased out as we speak... B787 deliveries delayed and may I ask who's to blame?!!? QF?!?!? Hmm yeah...

It's interesting how you've based your comparisons on carriers subsidized by their government... QF over all have a pretty good inflight product and that's why I continue to fly QF over VA...

EK413

[Edited 2012-07-24 03:49:23]

qf002

Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:46 am

I didn't want to say anything without checking, but three have left the fleet this year, another two late last year.

Seems to me that their retirement is well underway...

DeltaB717

Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:51 pm

Quoting EK413 (Reply 33):
Someone's been hiding under a rock and it certainly not me!

I'd hardly call recovering the seats and recarpeting the floor a refurbishment... the wifi gadgets maybe but that could be seen as smoke and mirrors too couldn't it.

EK413

Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:30 pm

Quoting DeltaB717 (Reply 35):

Not sure if you've heard but the B767 will be refurbished & I'm not just talking about re trimmed seats & carpet fittings...

EK413

DeltaB717

Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:31 am

Quoting EK413 (Reply 36):
Not sure if you've heard but the B767 will be refurbished & I'm not just talking about re trimmed seats & carpet fittings...

No I haven't heard... perhaps you could elaborate? Are they planning to strip the whole thing out and replace it with the 777-style bins etc and new seats? When and where was this announced (I've just looked back through all Qantas' media releases for this year and part of last and can find nothing about 767s except the QStreaming)?

turk223

Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:10 am

What do I think? I think Qantas had better check trademark issues; when I worked with BWIA that was our slogan...

BWIA's slogan

BWIA commercial

I guess nothing is new anymore!

[Edited 2012-07-24 19:14:03]

AnsettB727

Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:05 am

Quoting Ps76 (Reply 1):
Though it may appeal to Australians I personally didn't really feel what they were saying.

My understanding of this campaign is that it's not for international consumption - it's to encourage more domestic flying with QF in the face of the new Virgin Australia onslaught as DJ repositions itself as NOT a LCC.

The fact that you don't even see an aircraft in the ad clearly swings the focus on the "YOUR the reason we fly" slogan, but you do have to think about whether other multinationals would advertise without actually showing a pic of their product, such as Coke or American Express.

TN486

Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:06 pm

When I saw the "behind the scenes clip" ( the musical score one) my intital feeling was - What the S@@#$% is this. Now that i have seen it in total I am very impressed. As MARINER points out.

Quoting mariner (Reply 21):
I'm Australian, I don't have that perception of Qantas - I think it is good value for money, and I don't fly Emirates (which i sometimes do) just because of the price.

I don't think this ad is attempting to address the issues you raise. I think the intention is to make people feel "warm and fuzzy" about Qantas again. Then they can address the other issues that you raise.

This is only a chapter - it isn't the whole book.

I am in full agreement with this.
remember the t shirt "I own an airline"on the front - "qantas" on the back

Kent350787

Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:40 am

I'm thinking that, although the camera pans past my office window, I'm glad you can't see in as you'd possibly see me on a.net  

vhqpa

Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:23 am

Just started to notice print advertisement appearing. Here's one I spotted tonight at my local shopping centre.

You're the reason we fly by vhqpa99, on Flickr

Vhq.
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

RyanairGuru

Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:09 pm

Firstly, I'll give my opinion - I really like the commercial. It's heart warming and makes me feel that Qantas is part of "us", but it isn't so in your face as I Still Call Australia Home. I think towards the end that commercial was starting to suffer from jingoism fatigue (which I personally think is a shame)

BUT, if I had to watch the first 45 seconds (including sound) and say which brand it was advertising I would have unflinchingly said Telstra. Unfortunately that makes me think that it might have been better fought through from a branding perspective since I can't shake the feeling that's its been done before. Did anyone get this feeling? I was thinking along the lines of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuKpJv0PlSE

Quoting Ps76 (Reply 1):
would rather have had them show some planes and Australia's scenery or maybe some poor kid in a dusty outback town saying he wanted to be a pilot when he grew up and then showing him flying for Qantas or something in the next shot when he's all grown up.

That is very "Old Qantas" - the stuffy company which muddled by on an outdated sense of national loyalty. The "new" Qantas is a much more hip and cosmopolitan being, and this advert captures that. Don't forget that QF have an identity crisis (especially among young people) about not being personable and how much more 'social' Virgin is. By focussing their branding on people - ordinary every day Australians going about their lives - Qantas are trying to close that disconnect.

Quoting HNL-Jack (Reply 25):

I don't think this is that much of a disconnect with the "Australia Home" campaign

I actually agree. I think this is more of an evolution in branding rather than the seismic shift some have made it out to be.

Quoting AnsettB727 (Reply 39):
My understanding of this campaign is that it's not for international consumption

Absolutely. And don't forget about the village fete which is starting tomorrow. I can just about guarntee that this will be played during every commercial brake during Channel 9s coverage. The games give QF the perfect chance to promote the "Spirit of Australians" and get viewers to nod along with the idea that "we" are the sum of all of us.

Quoting vhqpa (Reply 42):

That's great to see. Hopefully we'll see more print advertising to reinforce the message in the fulness of time

[Edited 2012-07-26 14:11:59]
Worked Hard, Flew Right