ord
Topic Author

WSJ: AA New Livery Likely

Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:14 am

'Silver Bird' No More? American Planes Likely to Get New Paint Scheme

http://blogs.wsj.com/middleseat/2012...paint-scheme/?mod=google_news_blog

"For decades American Airlines has flown unpainted, polished silver airplanes. But that will soon change."

MaverickM11

RE: WSJ: AA New Livery Likely

Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:24 am

I hope they keep the receipt.
E pur si muove -Galileo

LAXintl

Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:26 am

Yes this was pretty much given. Horton had mentioned the company was reviewing its branding including aircraft livery. Project had started prior to BK.

Personally, I believe the silver will remain, but things like the fonts, or stripping might be changed.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

kcrwflyer

Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:28 am

This will be interesting. I hope they can do a tasteful modification to the logo/livery if they chose to go that route. Their current look and brand probably has more recognition and value than can possibly be rebuilt in a realistically calculable amount of time..at least in my opinion.

powercube

Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:31 am

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 2):
Personally, I believe the silver will remain, but things like the fonts, or stripping might be changed.

I agree, I feel like their latest cabin video is a good clue for what their colour palette will be going forwards. Since the aircraft are still silver (just without livery) in that, I feel like AA's most unique feature is safe.

TWA772LR

Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:36 am

I think AAs livery is the most timeless out there. It is a perfect example of getting it right the first time. However, with technology dictating that bare metal chrome doesn't work, that will have to come to an end. Here's to 40 years of chrome!!!
And for my next miracle, I'm gonna turn water into funk!

Polot

Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:36 am

Quoting powercube (Reply 4):
I agree, I feel like their latest cabin video is a good clue for what their colour palette will be going forwards. Since the aircraft are still silver (just without livery) in that, I feel like AA's most unique feature is safe.

Their video about refreshing the international fleet/introducing the 77W from back in May also uses the same palette and, like the one released the other day, only shows planes in pure silver instead of the current branding.

I would be very surprised if AA does not change their livery.

wedgetail737

Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:47 am

I hope AA management won't come up with some weird color scheme...and stick with red, white and blue.

[Edited 2012-07-24 18:53:54]

PlanesNTrains

Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:48 am

Quoting Polot (Reply 6):
Their video about refreshing the international fleet/introducing the 77W from back in May also uses the same palette and, like the one released the other day, only shows planes in pure silver instead of the current branding.

I would be very surprised if AA does not change their livery.

Well, not only did it show the planes in plain silver, the "AmericanAirlines" was simply white - no color or branding to the images whatsoever.

-Dave
-Dave

flightsimer

Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:51 am

Hopefully they will just paint them in a metallic paint to make them look the same as today....

But did anyone else notice at the end that they are still predicting first 787 in 2014. Which means they have to have had signed the line for 787s already.
Commercial Pilot- SEL, MEL, Instrument

roseflyer

Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:11 am

With how many A319s and A321s which are on their way soon, I'd expect a painted livery to be launched before that.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

mirrodie

Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:00 am

Interesting. Its said how much their naked planes save on fuel costs.
Its adding some cost to paint the jets.

interesting move.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

American 767

Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:05 am

Yes it is adding some costs to paint the planes but they are now being built with more composite materials so AA will have to paint them at some point, that s probably the main reason they (AA) are considering a new livery. Remember the issue they used to have with the A300s?
Ben Soriano

ghifty

Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:06 am

Quoting mirrodie (Reply 14):
Its said how much their naked planes save on fuel costs.
Its adding some cost to paint the jets.

Supposedly it's also harder to maintain the shiny finish.
Fly Delta (Wid)Jets

BlueSky1976

Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:08 am

It's about time. And I hope the polished silver is replaced by the pearl coat, similar to the one Virgin used before change to their current livery.

Polished alluminum needs to go away.
POLAND IS UNDER DICTATORSHIP. PLEASE SUPPORT COMMITTEE FOR DEFENSE OF DEMOCRACY, K.O.D.

EricR

Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:25 am

It's about time. They badly need to change the livery. Every time I see that livery, it reminds me of someone wearing clothes that were in style 30 years ago. A fresh, modern livery is long overdue.

[Edited 2012-07-24 21:24:08]

BlueLine

Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:26 am

I just hope that they don't go the euro white route like other oneworld partners JL and AY have recently done. If it were up to me I would just paint the aircraft in metallic silver, a la NW and SU and keep the everything else the same. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

UA777lover

Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:42 am

I happen to like the polished silver of American. It's simple and EVERYONE knows what airline it is immediatly. That can't be said about the white/off white planes of most other airlines. Maybe updating it but I for one (even though I'm a fan of the Blue and White United scheme) like it and hope it stays in some form. I know that the new composite planes can't be polished silver but every airline at one time or another has had multiple paint schemes out there. Save the silver!

primetimeDC9

Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:47 am

I personally think American has the best livery in the US. So tired of the white liveries, its a nice departure.

KDAYflyer

Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:54 am

Quoting primetimeDC9 (Reply 21):
I personally think American has the best livery in the US. So tired of the white liveries, its a nice departure.

I agree. Eurowhite is sooooooo blah. The silver and AA markings are truly distinctive. I think the US Air livery is tacky.

coachclass

Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:04 am

I would like to see the AA logo on the tail become a hologram.

qf340500

Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:09 am

This current chrome scheme on AA's planes is so boring, it looks cheap, most times scratched and dirty and not classy at all, it looks like the early 80's, and i am loking forward to the new colour scheme.... (thats just my own 2cents)

PlanesNTrains

Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:33 am

Quoting UA777lover (Reply 20):
I happen to like the polished silver of American. It's simple and EVERYONE knows what airline it is immediatly. That can't be said about the white/off white planes of most other airlines.

Planes fly over my house all day long but most carriers look virtually the same from my perspective. At least with AA you know who it is. Of course, the maddogs help too.  
Quoting qf340500 (Reply 24):
i am loking forward to the new colour scheme.... (thats just my own 2cents)

I am too - BUT if it's euro white then I'll be mildly disappointed, and more than likely they'll get trashed on here regardless of what they come up with. I remember the new Delta livery (current one) being introduced and I was entirely underwhelmed. It's gradually grown on me so I have faith that whatever AA comes up with will too. It certainly will beat the heck out of the United "merger" livery.

-Dave
-Dave

September11

Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:37 am

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © André Advíncula

good bye to A'A on tails..
Airliners.net of the Future

m11stephen

Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:10 am

If it aint broke don't fix it. As others have stated a metallic paint that resembles the current bare metal design would look very good. Or, painting jets in a livery like AE has would work well too. Whatever path AA choses I hope they don't stray far away from the livery they currently have.
My opinions, statements, etc. are my own and do not have any association with those of any employer.

UNITED91

Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:17 am

Quoting UA777lover (Reply 20):

I agree, I think American's current livery is one of the best ones out there. Personally, I hope the polished silver stays.. and if anything changes, hopefully only the 'American' and stripes get an update.

[Edited 2012-07-24 22:21:03]

qf002

Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:28 am

Quoting BlueLine (Reply 19):
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Quoting m11stephen (Reply 27):
If it aint broke don't fix it.

What if it is broken? The current livery represents the 'old' AA, which is broken (hence the need for bankruptcy). They are working very hard to create a 'new' AA, so why on earth would they want customers confusing their old reputation/offering with the new one?

IMO a new livery is essential if what they are doing is 'relaunching' the brand (in much the same way that DL did) by totally transforming what they offer. I think they should be bold with what they do -- transform the branding to reflect a new beginning.

Max Q

Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:05 am

Bad idea. AA's livery, or lack of it is, more than any other Airline an essential and distinctive part of it's identity.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

ouboy79

Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:14 am

Biggest fear...another bland eurowhite paint scheme. Hopefully they'll get creative to keep the aircraft colorful. Something with a large blue eagle (thing old style, more detail) on the tail and a variation of of a wavy cheat line on the fuselage.

flightsimer

Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:22 am

Quoting qf002 (Reply 29):

So your saying a black 2002 Ford explorer is better than a white 2001 ford explorer simply because the 2002 is black. I picked the explorer specifically because the late 90s and 00 and 01 models were notorious for rolling over due to design and in 2002 the design was changed to a new and better design.

Their is nothing wrong with the American brand. The issues with American are internal, not branding.
Commercial Pilot- SEL, MEL, Instrument

milesrich

Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:18 am

To those who claim AA's livery and branding is out of date, do you think Campbell Soup should change logos too? What about Kellogg, or Kraft, or Oscar Mayer. Most airline livery changes have occurred because a new CEO wanted to put his mark on the company. Yes, we have abandoned cheatlines for solid color fuselages. Is it more modern, not really. Some older schemes are dated, but others are timeless. American's is the latter. No one gives a tinkers damn how the exterior of an airplane is decorated, if the interior is modern. That is no one but the armchair executives that post here. American's problems were management, but not image. United had a lousy image, so the Continental managers gave in on the name but kept the Continental image. US Airways airplanes look modern, and their livery is quite attractive. Do you think that helps their image with the public? American has a good brand. First of all, their name. It screams Red, White, and Blue, and their cost problems were rooted in higher labor costs, and a fleet dominated by the once economical but no longer MD-82/83. That was their problem, not a public that viewed the airline the way they once viewed Eastern or Mohawk, or Allegheny, or United. And Chapter 11 had done much to remedy their cost structure.

It also appears that the people in Phoenix are coming to the realization that they are not going to acquire American. Making public statements, that our offer will not be there forever, is not likely to make the people in Ft. Worth quake in their boots.

American may modify their livery. Maybe the cheat line goes, but the AA Eagle, I don't think so. Their current scheme is 44 years old and does not look dated.

Remember when Leo Mullin decided to modernize the Widget, and made it rounder rather than angular. How long did that last?

Wingtips56

Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:05 am

They may not modify the livery more than necessary to accommodate the composites of the 787, though the grey tails on the Boeings aren't that exciting. We all remember the original "grey-ghost" A300 livery that just never looked good, and worse, the ex-Scanair white DC10s and white ex-Reno MD80/87/90, and nobody wants to see that again.

Can the A320 family be left mostly bare metal, or are there too many composite doors, fairings and other parts that would look like it was bandaged-up after a fight?

AA does like the minimum of paint for fuel savings, savings on repainting and not having to strip the paint when there are orders to check for hairline cracks the paint can cover. AA's fleet keeps getting pummeled by those Texas hailstorms, which is hard on the paint. Even at long times between buffing, the bare metal looks better than a plane with peeling paint, Ala several United liveries.

But, if they do have to paint the planes, silver may not be the best choice if those finishes oxidize, so they may just go for a whole new look. But I think the AA/Eagle logo won't change as they do have a lot invested in that image. United's shield, then "tulip" U, the prison stripes and now the globe-thing; Delta's tilting widgets and wavy gravies, Northwest's red nothingness and then compass (anybody else notice that it pointed to the North East not North West on the starboard side?), the Meatballs; AWE's PacMan; Allegheny/US Air "A", and now incomplete flag .... no, those carriers just don't have the instant recognition of the AA logo. I don't see them changing it.
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines

n797mx

Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:05 am

Hopefully they won't follow the current paint trend among airlines...

http://tinyurl.com/btldp3r

Clear skies and strong tail winds.

BMI727

Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:09 am

Quoting Wingtips56 (Reply 34):
AA does like the minimum of paint for fuel savings, savings on repainting and not having to strip the paint when there are orders to check for hairline cracks the paint can cover.

Boeing did a study a few years back that concluded that polishing planes probably costs slight more than paint due to the surface treatment necessary. Apparently some of the chemicals are a bit nasty, but they may have found better stuff.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

na

Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:16 am

Quoting flightsimer (Reply 32):
Their is nothing wrong with the American brand. The issues with American are internal, not branding.

But branding is essential, its the "picture" shown to the world, the "suit" you wear. You wouldnt want to run around in an old suit, would you? Branding is something bound to change in a changing world. Sometimes earlier, sometimes later. AAs branding has been allright for very, very, very long, I agree. But the times move on, and so does aircraft technology forbidding a metallic scheme. I only hope they dont look at crappy poor man´s clothing like JAL or NZs rumoured look when thinking about future branding.

Wingtips56

Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:31 am

Quoting na (Reply 37):
But branding is essential, its the "picture" shown to the world, the "suit" you wear. You wouldnt want to run around in an old suit, would you?

Oh, I don't know... white tie and tails never goes out of style.  
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines

GIANCAVIA

Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:58 am

Q An all white fuselage with oversized font and some wavey thing on the tail cutting out half of the logo, You guys know its coming haha.

na

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:06 am

Quoting Wingtips56 (Reply 38):
Oh, I don't know... white tie and tails never goes out of style.  

Certainly not, but you surely feel a bit out of place sometimes 
Quoting Giancavia (Reply 39):
Q An all white fuselage with oversized font and some wavey thing on the tail cutting out half of the logo, You guys know its coming haha.

Fortunately this blandness trend hasnt hit the US shores yet!

PHX787

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:19 am

Quoting ord (Thread starter):
'Silver Bird' No More? American Planes Likely to Get New Paint Scheme

About dang time!

Quoting qf002 (Reply 29):
What if it is broken? The current livery represents the 'old' AA, which is broken (hence the need for bankruptcy). They are working very hard to create a 'new' AA, so why on earth would they want customers confusing their old reputation/offering with the new one?

Precisely. AA and AMR as a company is currently broke, and they need fixing. No need to stick to something to represents the failures which brought AA to b.k.

did some googling around and saw some designs people came up with:
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e7...3/AmericanAirlinesConcepts_787.png
I like this one the best. It's smart, executive, and shows a futuristic and optimistic design.
http://www.cardatabase.net/modifieda...inerphotos/photos/big/00015113.jpg
This one is also nice IMO
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

qf002

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:31 am

Quoting flightsimer (Reply 32):

You misunderstand me.

AA's existing brand represents the airline as it is today. Poor on board product, old IFE systems, poor quality and value, old planes etc.

AA needs a new brand that represents a fresh approach to their business.

AA is changing the internals -- I think it's important to then create a new image for the company that reflect this new innovation.

Quoting milesrich (Reply 33):
do you think Campbell Soup should change logos too? What about Kellogg, or Kraft, or Oscar Mayer.

Your logic is flawed:

Campbell Soup can 60 years ago -- http://www.paulhina.com/hinablog-archives/campbells.jpg
Campbell Soup can today -- http://www.campbellsoup.com.au/downl...ds/home/ea33_Tomatojpg__teaser.jpg

Kellogg's packaging 60 years ago -- http://image.timepassagesnostalgia.c...arked/imagesg0/g014spacecadetb.jpg
Kellogg's Corn Flakes today -- http://www.kellogg.com.au/kellogg/Po.../cereal/overview/ov_cornflakes.jpg

Kraft cheese 60 years ago -- http://www.kraft.com.au/SiteCollecti...%201950t%20-%20Kraft%20Cheddar.jpg
Kraft cheese today -- http://www.knightsmeats.com.au/produ...Kraft_Cheddar_500g__79957_zoom.jpg

The logo doesn't have to change for the branding to change.

ghifty

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:36 am

I can see AA going for an AM or LA look. With the AA Eagle still a prominent feature on the tail.

Quoting qf002 (Reply 42):
The logo doesn't have to change for the branding to change.

Fly Delta (Wid)Jets

OEH68

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:41 am

I hope they keep the current livery. It's very unique and beautiful IMO. Timeless and instantly recognizable.
OEH68

AnsettB727

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:53 am

As someone above mentioned, it really is an example of having got it right first time around. It's classic and immediately identifiable. I thought I remembered the American A300s were also painted - something to do with the Airbus metal not polishing as well as the Boeing, or something! Is the same scheme not a solution?

Rbgso

Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:39 am

Quoting Wingtips56 (Reply 31):
Can the A320 family be left mostly bare metal, or are there too many composite doors, fairings and other parts that would look like it was bandaged-up after a fight?

My question as well. I personally think the A320 would look great in a polished aluminum scheme. I also think AA's current livery is indeed one of the best and doesn't need to be changed.

ord
Topic Author

Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:50 am

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 2):
Yes this was pretty much given. Horton had mentioned the company was reviewing its branding including aircraft livery. Project had started prior to BK.

Absolutely correct. This article from November 2011 says the rebrand was in its final stages last year when bankruptcy put the project on hold:

Bankruptcy Could Disrupt American Airlines' Rebranding

http://adage.com/article/agency-news...erican-airlines-rebranding/231241/

par13del

Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:54 am

Quoting qf002 (Reply 26):
They are working very hard to create a 'new' AA, so why on earth would they want customers confusing their old reputation/offering with the new one?
Quoting qf002 (Reply 39):
AA needs a new brand that represents a fresh approach to their business.

As an AA FF I will wait to see how the re-painting of the a/c helps me with my routes and upgrades, at least they are spending money on new planes.

However, as mentioned the old AA is broke hence they are in Chpt.11, the saying is that you have to spend money to make money so hopefully the money they spend on the exterior of the a/c will encourage new customers, just like the interior's will encourage existing customers to hang around.

us330

Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:07 pm

Quoting qf002 (Reply 26):
transform the branding to reflect a new beginning.
Quoting qf002 (Reply 39):
I think it's important to then create a new image for the company that reflect this new innovation.

But let's not also forget that a huge part of AA's internal culture is its history--and the bare metal look has been a part of AA's identity since before WWII. I think the current livery is akin to a modern classic.
The only livery change I'd be satisfied with is a retrojet style livery.

KDAYflyer

Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:33 pm

Quoting September11 (Reply 23):
good bye to A'A on tails..

Lord I hope not. It's the best part besides the polished aluminum IMHO.

aajfksjubklyn

Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:42 pm

Quoting ord (Reply 44):
Absolutely correct. This article from November 2011 says the rebrand was in its final stages last year when bankruptcy put the project on hold:

Bankruptcy Could Disrupt American Airlines' Rebranding

http://adage.com/article/agency-news...1241/

Your article is from 2011- Which I would assume is very much outdated. I am sure AA will "extract" components from their current brand. In other words the color, basis of design (eagle and type font), will pretty much be intact as they have done since they been flying. Its always an offshoot that has resemblence ties to the prior branding. I very much like AA's current scheme. Sad to see it go as well.

lostsound

Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:50 pm

Quoting rbgso (Reply 43):

The A320 can't be chomed. To many composite-plastic parts which must be painted.
That's one of the reasons why they have to change their livery some way or another.
If they kept the same livery, they'd probably use silver paint.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos