globalflyer777
Topic Author

Iran Civil Aviation Org Ranks First In ME Region

Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:47 am

According to the recently appointed head of the Iran Civil Aviation Organization, Hamid Reza Pahlevani, his agency has been awarded first place by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) in a regional ranking:

http://en.trend.az/regions/iran/2048172.html

This is a pretty amazing turnaround considering the poor levels of air safety standards and oversight the CAO displayed under its previous boss, Reza Nakhjavani.

I wonder why Dubai didn't place first?

PHX787

RE: Iran Civil Aviation Org Ranks First In ME Region

Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:54 am

Quoting globalflyer777 (Thread starter):
This is a pretty amazing turnaround considering the poor levels of air safety standards and oversight the CAO displayed under its previous boss, Reza Nakhjavani.

That is quite astounding. They must take REALLY good care of their old workhorses.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

Braniff747SP

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:52 am

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 1):
They must take REALLY good care of their old workhorses.

They do, or they'd be falling out of the sky. How many fatal crashes has Iran had in the last decade or so? I'm thinking somewhere around four... IR had not, until about a year ago, had a crash in many decades. I wouldn't doubt comercial aviation in Iran at all; I'd fly on an IR plane any day. (Specially if it was the -SP... one can dream.)
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

JU068

Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:21 am

Wonderful news! This just goes to prove how pointless the Western sanctions are in a multilateral world.

I wonder what impact the removal of sanctions against Iran would have on the airlines in the Persian Gulf.

globalflyer777
Topic Author

Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:57 am

Quoting ju068 (Reply 3):
I wonder what impact the removal of sanctions against Iran would have on the airlines in the Persian Gulf.

That's a very interesting point you raise. It seems clear that the Persian Gulf region airlines (Emirates, Etihad, Qatar Airways... etc) have taken full advantage of the situation which sanctions have put Iran's airlines in.

I find it truly amazing that despite the fact that countries like the UAE (especially Dubai) are overflowing with the latest technology and resources, Iran has still managed to triumph over them in the regional ICAO rankings. This is all the more impressive considering the fact that Iran is currently battling with the severest sanctions they have ever faced.

I wonder what explanation Dubai's GCAA could give to this?

bennett123

Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:09 pm

Has the ICAO confirmed this?.

globalflyer777
Topic Author

Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:21 pm

Quoting bennett123 (Reply 5):
Has the ICAO confirmed this?.

The head of the Iran Civil Aviation Organization, Hamid Reza Pahlevani has confirmed it. Isn't that sufficient?

airbazar

Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:31 pm

Quoting globalflyer777 (Reply 6):
The head of the Iran Civil Aviation Organization, Hamid Reza Pahlevani has confirmed it. Isn't that sufficient?

Uh, no!  
And Iranian government official, saying Iran is best. Where's the news in that?

JU068

Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:32 pm

Quoting globalflyer777 (Reply 4):

I could not agree more with you. I guess this recognition says a lot about the Iranians and their ability to make something great with little resources they have.

I think the day when sanctions against Iran are removed, Persian Gulf airlines will start to struggle. One, Iran's geographical position is far more threatening than that of Turkey (in relation to Turkish Airlines' growth and its impact on the Gulf carriers) and two, Iran has a massive O&D demand which will stimulate growth and facilitate frequencies.

I think if this does happen Emirates' network in India would suffer the most. Due to Iran's good ties with India I think the access of Iranian airlines to the Indian market would be far more liberal than that of the Persian Gulf carriers.

9MMPQ

Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:38 pm

Quoting globalflyer777 (Reply 6):

I'd be sceptical .. can't find a word about it on ICAO's own website. And, what about the rest of the ranking results ?
I believe in coincidences. Coincidences happen every day. But I don't trust coincidences.

solarflyer22

Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:10 pm

Quoting ju068 (Reply 8):
I think if this does happen Emirates' network in India would suffer the most. Due to Iran's good ties with India I think the access of Iranian airlines to the Indian market would be far more liberal than that of the Persian Gulf carriers.

I agree totally. I've flown into IKA a couple of times and its a great transit point to India. Indian passengers are also price conscious more so than Arab clientele and I don't think some of Emirates high end features do them much good.

Quoting globalflyer777 (Reply 4):
I find it truly amazing that despite the fact that countries like the UAE (especially Dubai) are overflowing with the latest technology and resources, Iran has still managed to triumph over them in the regional ICAO rankings. This is all the more impressive considering the fact that Iran is currently battling with the severest sanctions they have ever faced.

Iran has done a great job keeping things going but its unfortunate that some of Mahan Air's A340s can't get spare parts. They've done a great job regardless of ICAO's or anyone else's rating. Their ATC is also well regarded. I think Dubai will be better in time but right now their explosive growth has led to some under qualified people in the ranks. Its important to point out too all of these sanctions on parts are US and EU lead, not UN.

globalflyer777
Topic Author

Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:36 pm

Quoting solarflyer22 (Reply 10):
its unfortunate that some of Mahan Air's A340s can't get spare parts.

Are you sure that Mahan Air operates A340's?

solarflyer22

Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:55 pm

Check that, it's Iran Aseman, another private airline.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ir...rlines_Airbus_A340-300_Sharifi.jpg

Tupolev160

Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:03 pm

Without the sanctions in place IR could possibly be among the world top airlines, even beyond what EK is today, maybe even the first airline by international passengers in total.
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos