kaitak
Topic Author

Irish 11/12: Airborne With Attitude

Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:36 pm

Good evening folks and welcome to Thread 11 of the year and after a few fairly long lasting thread, our previous thread has reached the 200+ mark in barely a fortnight, so it's time to move on. We've certainly seen some very interesting developments over the past few weeks:

- FR's continuing designs on Aer Lingus and Aer Lingus's continuing efforts to elude its amorous grasp
- New routes for 2013 already being announced
- The end of EI's MAD-IAD route
- Aer Lingus's codeshare with Etihad (and other commercial relationships between the two)
- Rumours of new UA routes to Ireland next Summer (SFO and/or ORD to DUB)
- Aer Lingus's half year traffic figures
- and quite a few others

Let's hope the pace of positive new developments continues; we still don't have anything firm from Aeroflot, which will hopefully grace us with its presence next year.

Here's to a very interest 11th thread; let's see the good news keep rolling!

OA260

RE: Irish 11/12: Airborne With Attitude

Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:45 pm

Thanks for the new thread Kaitak .

Quoting kaitak (Thread starter):
- Aer Lingus's codeshare with Etihad (and other commercial relationships between the two)

Yes this will be interesting to see how it develops. Lets hope both parties gain something from it . Still awaiting a news update from GC saying I can earn points on EY flights   One can hope ....

Quoting kaitak (Thread starter):
- The end of EI's MAD-IAD route

Indeed . Here is a link mentioning it in the media :

''McCarthy tells USA TODAY that United is terminating its agreement with Aer Lingus for that route. The termination will take effect 90 days from Wednesday (Aug. 1), after United notified Aer Lingus last week, according to McCarthy.''

http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/p...d-airlines-pilots-protest/814854/1

OA260

Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:03 am

EI making the case to shareholders against accepting a FR take over bid :

Aer Lingus CEO warns on fears of Ryanair monopoly

AER Lingus chief executive Christoph Mueller warned that a successful bid by Ryanair to buy the carrier would result in monopoly conditions reminiscent of the days when his own airline dominated Irish travel.

Mr Mueller, speaking as Aer Lingus unveiled second quarter results, insisted that a merged Ryanair-Aer Lingus airline would control virtually all the traffic out of Ireland, and to an even greater extent than when Ryanair made its first bid in 2006.

http://www.independent.ie/business/i...s-of-ryanair-monopoly-3187078.html

What we need is more competition not less !

kaitak
Topic Author

Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:06 pm

It seems that several ex-Aer Lingus aircraft are heading to Pakistan; two A330s are going from Vladivostok Airlines to Shaheen Airlines (with a third likely to follow).

Meanwhile, EI-CVD has been repainted as AP-EDD for AirBlue.

Cabincrewifly

Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:01 pm

Ryanair opening three new routes from Cork for winter including Wroclaw. The other routes being announced tomorrow,.
EI FR RE EIR IWD MA FUA

Eagleboy

Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:21 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 2):
Mr Mueller.........insisted that a merged Ryanair-Aer Lingus airline would control virtually all the traffic out of Ireland, and to an even greater extent than when Ryanair made its first bid in 2006.

While we can agree that CM will be arguing against the takeover, we all saw the Anna Aero stats that confirm this viewpoint on the increased dominance of FR/EI over the Irish market compared to 2007.

I also read comments in the IT today by CM that a purchase of the Govt stake by EY would not actually be good for EI shareholders. He states that the lack of free float is the problem, an ownership switch would not materially change this situation.

OA260

Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:32 pm

Quoting kaitak (Reply 3):

Arr poor aul CVD I know a member will be gutted about that Reg going  

Strike action closer :

Aer Lingus unions vote to engage in industrial action over pension arrangements reform

Members of the six unions representing workers in Aer Lingus and the Dublin Airport Authority have voted in a dispute over plans by the companies to reform pension arrangements.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0801/aer...ns-vote-for-industrial-action.html

EIDL

Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:41 pm

FR allegedly looking to buy a share in STN:

http://www.herald.ie/news/ryanair-lo...5pc-stake-in-stansted-3186463.html

If they did, it could be an interesting wake-up call for them, or could give them ideas on how to squeeze airports even further.

EIDAA

Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:59 am

Indeed, with photos of its new livery taken in BOD posted at the link below:-

http://www.historyofpia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20609&p=141023

And nicely photographed by Ken Meegan arriving back into Dublin yesterday evening...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/namcys11/7693182878/
Most Flown:- G-BUVA (20 Flights), EI-DEB (12 Flights), EI-JFK (11 Flights)

OA260

Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:20 am

Dublin Airport's Old Terminal During Construction

http://youtu.be/ESjS9jWgMqQ

Some really old material there . Never seen that video before . Hopefully there is more to come .
---

Some good news for ORK :

Ryanair announces five new routes from Cork airport

Four of the routes are to the Polish cites of Warsaw, Gdansk, Wroclaw and Krakow. The fifth new destination is to the Lithuanian capital Vilnius.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0802/rya...new-routes-from-cork-business.html

[Edited 2012-08-02 04:24:48]

BestWestern

Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:39 pm

An interesting programme on the RTE player today that covers the opening of Knock airporrt in 1985. I always thought the first flight was a 747, but it was an EI 732 followed by an EI707 on flights to Rome.

Some thoughts after watching it.

Fr Horan was a true entrepreneur.
He was also a realist in hindsight - said back then that the airport was not about making money but a piece of infrastructure for the state.
The airport has washed its face financially - just about.
How small the world was then "flights would come from all over the world America, UK and the 'continent'."
How Ireland has changed so much.
Sean Barrett, economist, still getting it wrong so many years later.
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

Eagleboy

Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:48 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 9):

Four of the routes are to the Polish cites of Warsaw, Gdansk, Wroclaw and Krakow.

Impressive coverage of the Polish market from a relatively small airport in a smallish market. (Not starting any rows here)

pesit4a

Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:33 pm

Quoting EagleBoy (Reply 11):

I'm not sure if this is such good news for Cork. It will just drive out Wizz, and then Cork will be left with a familiar duopoly of carriers.
You just can't keep a good man down!

kaitak
Topic Author

Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:00 pm

Quoting bestwestern (Reply 10):
An interesting programme on the RTE player today that covers the opening of Knock airporrt in 1985. I always thought the first flight was a 747, but it was an EI 732 followed by an EI707 on flights to Rome.

I remember the captain of the first flight was a Mayoman, Capt. Jack Bagnall.

Quoting bestwestern (Reply 10):
Fr Horan was a true entrepreneur.
He was also a realist in hindsight - said back then that the airport was not about making money but a piece of infrastructure for the state.

He was indeed; I recall at the time it was started that Garret the Good was Taoiseach and of course, with his aviation background (and being aware of the economic straits we were in ), he said said no and then, of course, Charlie the Signifcantly Less Good, being the political opportunist he was, backed it strongly - purely for electoral reasons, but unlike Msgr. Horan, almost certainly didn't see its importance as a piece of infrastructure.

Quoting EagleBoy (Reply 11):
Impressive coverage of the Polish market from a relatively small airport in a smallish market. (Not starting any rows here)

Unlike a certain district justice!

OA260

Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:19 pm

Quoting pesit4a (Reply 12):

Is Wizz still flying out of ORK ? I always forget about them TBH .

pesit4a

Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:25 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 14):

Indeed they are! 4 routes I think, all of which now being launched by FR.

Those wishing for an EI/FR merger - take note!

shamrock350

Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:00 pm

My favourite Aer Lingus A320   

Fingers crossed a new Caoimhín/St Kevin joins the fleet soon!

Quoting OA260 (Reply 9):

Four of the routes are to the Polish cites of Warsaw, Gdansk, Wroclaw and Krakow. The fifth new destination is to the Lithuanian capital Vilnius.

All of these routes are already operated by Wizzair who have been very successful at Cork, the other route is Poznan which Ryanair have kindly decided not launch...yet. I wouldn't be surprised if within the next two years Wizzair reduce and eventually pull out of Cork, Ryanair will have done what they set out to do and pull the routes in a spat over airport charges or something like that. Ryanair at its finest.

pesit4a

Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:43 pm

Quoting shamrock350 (Reply 16):

Yup, the squeeze is now on Cork. Soon enough, both ORK and SNN will be clawing each other's eyes out to get FR's business.

It shant be pretty to watch!

Eagleboy

Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:15 pm

Quoting pesit4a (Reply 12):
I'm not sure if this is such good news for Cork. It will just drive out Wizz, and then Cork will be left with a familiar duopoly of carriers.
Quoting OA260 (Reply 14):
Is Wizz still flying out of ORK ? I always forget about them TBH
Quoting pesit4a (Reply 15):
Indeed they are! 4 routes I think, all of which now being launched by FR.

Those wishing for an EI/FR merger - take note!

I have to admit forgetting about Wizz myself......definitely a note for any argument for an FR/EI merger.

[Edited 2012-08-02 12:28:57]

BestWestern

Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:06 am

Interesting - on the RTE player there is a very funny comedy programme from 1999 - in it there is an real RTE interviewer asking stupid questions....

One passerby in temple bar is asked the question.

"today in the news there is a story about Ryanair dropping five routes because of high airport chargest - do you think this is a real reason, or is it that they are just a shite airline?"

13 years later, FR still giving the same excuses....
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

kaitak
Topic Author

Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:31 am

Quoting kaitak (Reply 13):
I remember the captain of the first flight was a Mayoman, Capt. Jack Bagnall.

Coincidentally, I have been informed that Capt. Bagnall died last Thursday. He had also served in the Air Corps, prior to joining Aer Lingus.

dstc47

Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:40 am

Ryanair do seem anxious to take on Wizz at ORK.

I suppose the only question is why it took them so long to do so, given their usual form and given that Wizz have not sought to serve DUB, presumably a larger ethnic market. Wizz seem to be happy with the ORK series of flights but not for long more, I fear.

BestWestern

Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:03 am

Ryanairs move will see a short lived boost in passenger numbers and lower fares, followed by a Wizz departure. FR will then demand route discounts from the airport authorities.

Interesting competitive advantage FR have in having market dominance.

tonymctigue

Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:18 am

Quoting dstc47 (Reply 21):
I suppose the only question is why it took them so long to do so, given their usual form and given that Wizz have not sought to serve DUB, presumably a larger ethnic market. Wizz seem to be happy with the ORK series of flights but not for long more, I fear.

Yes, I fear that ORK will ultimately loose out here in the long run and will loose a loyal and good customer (unlike what can be said about one of ORK's other customers...). It is a bit sad when we all see a new route announcement as ultimately being a bad thing but them's the breaks when FR are involved! I'm sure this is part of the reason why they have continued to serve Poland from SNN (albeit with a limited schedule).
Airports: SNN GWY NOC DUB ORK BOS EWR JFK ORD MCI BOI SEA LHR STN CDG LYS FAO GVA HKG MEL ADL HBA

lasno

Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:55 am

Aer Lingus tops aviation regulator's complaints league. In 2011 there were more complaints about Aer Lingus than any other airline. This suprises me as I thought another Irish airline would have beaten them for first prize!

http://www.businesspost.ie/#!story/H...410615-5218-501a-4085-5a52e0681387

OA260

Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:41 am

Aer Lingus rules out West Coast route which makes sense . I think they would be better with YYZ to be honest as the news item suggests they have been looking at.

United terminates service with Aer Lingus to Madrid

''Aer Lingus said the A330-200 aircraft would be used to supplement its routes from Dublin to Boston and Chicago.

It is also believed to have looked at the possibility of operating to Canada from Ireland but it has ruled out a service to the west coast of the United States.''

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...nance/2012/0803/1224321365982.html

BestWestern

Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:10 am

Quoting lasno (Reply 24):
Aer Lingus tops aviation regulator's complaints league

Largest airline in Ireland, operating in a more challenging segment, including long haul and interline baggage.

2,954 related to an assortment of baggage, pricing, safety and air carrier policy issues."

ClassicLover

Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:54 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 25):
''Aer Lingus said the A330-200 aircraft would be used to supplement its routes from Dublin to Boston and Chicago.

It is also believed to have looked at the possibility of operating to Canada from Ireland but it has ruled out a service to the west coast of the United States.''

I would say that Canada will come when the A350s arrive. It will free up A330s for additional routes - or the A350 with its better economics will be used to open up new routes.

I am glad this orphan route is going really, but good that EI made a profit on it.

What interests me is that the A350 has a 15,000km range which puts most of the world within reach of Dublin, so I'll be interested to see if anything further afield (ie - the opposite direction to the USA) is opened up.

Quoting bestwestern (Reply 26):

Largest airline in Ireland, operating in a more challenging segment, including long haul and interline baggage.

2,954 related to an assortment of baggage, pricing, safety and air carrier policy issues."

Largest airline in Ireland? Are you mad?

They got more complaints because they were not doing as well as Ryanair. Throughout 2011, I was flying a lot with Aer Lingus and the flights were delayed quite a lot. It was really annoying. It's only been in the last 6 months or so that the on time performance has improved. I had an executive at work who preferred flying Ryanair for this very reason!

I don't believe long haul is more challenging either. Having multiple sectors short haul with short turns is way more challenging, as any delay etc causes a big knock on effect.
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

EIDL

Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:21 pm

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 27):
Largest airline in Ireland? Are you mad?

I'm pretty sure that they carry more pax than Ryanair at this stage. And that's going off Ryanair's pax figures that include no-shows, at that.

They operate more flights at DUB/ORK/SNN, and operate from WAT; leaving only KIR/NOC as airports where FR could try and catch them.

EI also gets more delays due to operating to congested central airports in congested airspace when FR, generally, does not.

Eagleboy

Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:00 pm

Quoting lasno (Reply 24):
Aer Lingus tops aviation regulator's complaints league....................This suprises me as I thought another Irish airline would have beaten them for first prize!

I suppose the offering connections and long haul opens any airline to more complain possibilities....I also suspect that many ULCC pax would not bother to complain as either it is not worth it and/or they know what answer they will get. look at the recent furore over the female pax with the colostomy bag issue.

In regards the delays, perhaps were pushing their fleet a little too hard and have relaxed the rotation of aircraft,this would help with knock on delays. And I guess that the changes to hand luggage and boarding system has improved their boarding speed?

[Edited 2012-08-03 12:44:31]

ClassicLover

Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:08 pm

Quoting EIDL (Reply 28):
EI also gets more delays due to operating to congested central airports in congested airspace when FR, generally, does not.

Then what explains the recent improvements in punctuality? It was something mentioned in an annual report that Aer Lingus would focus on, and they did and they have improved. Therefore, the argument that congested central airports in congested airspace doesn't wash with me at all. It seems like it was an issue at the airline itself.

kaitak
Topic Author

Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:48 pm

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 27):
I would say that Canada will come when the A350s arrive. It will free up A330s for additional routes - or the A350 with its better economics will be used to open up new routes.

I hope they get into the Canadian market before then. I think their best bet would be to see if they could do an interline deal with Westjet, along the same lines as they have with B6.

However, I'm wondering about the delivery schedule of the A350s; not so long ago, there was an announcement of a further delay to the aircraft by Airbus; EI's current A350 delivery schedule (according to Jethros : http://www.jethros.org.uk/fleets/fleet_listings/aer_lingus.htm) is for two in the first half and two in the second half of 2015. I wonder, if they find that they won't have them in time for the peak 2015 Summer season, will they consider deferring them until the following year. Presumably they won't want to miss the peak season?

I'm not surprised that they're not going to the west coast, but I would have liked to see Canada added this year, but really, since the home economy is still a tad wobbly, "safety" (in economic terms) is the best priority - go with what they know and hopefully if things look better again in 2014, we'll see something new.

EIDL

Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:49 pm

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 30):
Then what explains the recent improvements in punctuality? It was something mentioned in an annual report that Aer Lingus would focus on, and they did and they have improved. Therefore, the argument that congested central airports in congested airspace doesn't wash with me at all. It seems like it was an issue at the airline itself.

The new quad-zonal boarding procedure is FAR faster from experience, anyway. They also seem to be more pro-active in tearing bags off late arrivers and shoving them in the hold rather than having an F/A go up and down the cabin checking every bin for space. Only delays I've had with EI recently were weather related - snow at MAN and utter slot chaos at AMS due to headwinds making disarray of arrival times.

For any remaining delays - FR don't have to deal with waiting 20 mins to be told which runway to head to and hold for in AMS, circling for LHR, etc. Delays are inevitable at busier airports, and EI fly to far more busy airports than FR.

ClassicLover

Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:03 pm

Quoting kaitak (Reply 31):
I hope they get into the Canadian market before then. I think their best bet would be to see if they could do an interline deal with Westjet, along the same lines as they have with B6.

Yes, that would make sense. There had been talk at some stage (though not in a while) of oneworld courting Westjet. I think they miss the Canadian feed they lost when Canadian was taken over.

Quoting kaitak (Reply 31):
However, I'm wondering about the delivery schedule of the A350s

That interested me as well. Considering how the early frames of new aircraft always seem to be overweight and have penalties, one would hope they waited the delivery positions to get capable aircraft. They could introduce them at any time. None of the A330s will be very old at that stage anyway, so they could always keep the A330s as well.

It will be interesting to see what happens there. There could also be more delays with the A350.

Quoting EIDL (Reply 32):
The new quad-zonal boarding procedure is FAR faster from experience, anyway.

I agree, it seems to work, though you can always get through outside of your zone. They don't tend to turn you away.

Quoting EIDL (Reply 32):
For any remaining delays - FR don't have to deal with waiting 20 mins to be told which runway to head to and hold for in AMS, circling for LHR, etc. Delays are inevitable at busier airports, and EI fly to far more busy airports than FR.

I agree with you there - hence why the schedules now seem to have a little more time built in. You'll notice that the Ryanair flight scheduled arrival times seem to be skewed in such a way that they will always arrive early, unless there is a delay and then they tend to arrive on time. I think this is a sensible way to do it, as no-one minds arriving early.

It always amuses me how much congestion has killed schedules. The Sydney to Melbourne record flight time is something like 38 minutes and back in the 60s it was a 45-50 minute scheduled time. Nowadays it's 1 hour 20 due to congestion. A shame! Still, when airports don't expand capacity, what do you expect really.

Nibog

Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:50 pm

I have noticed on flight radar a lot of flights holding off the coast,with some diversions to BFS and SNN,any reason for this??

EIDL

Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:55 pm

Quoting Nibog (Reply 34):
I have noticed on flight radar a lot of flights holding off the coast,with some diversions to BFS and SNN,any reason for this??
AA flight diverted to DUB and temporarily disabled 16/34, apparently (from another forum)

[Edited 2012-08-03 14:56:09]

Nibog

Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:03 pm

Quoting EIDL (Reply 35):
AA flight diverted to DUB and temporarily disabled 16/34, apparently (from another forum)

Many thanks for that EIDL,i have just switched on live act,a few aircraft in the hold as I type!!.

Eirules

Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:40 pm

AA 757 emergency landing LHR-BOS blocked the runway
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

kaitak
Topic Author

Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:27 pm

Nice shot of the first Shaheen A330, formerly Aer Lingus's EI-CRK

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © JPC van Heijst - AirTeamImages

Also, a report from Aviation Herald on the 757 diversion last night:

http://avherald.com/h?article=453b34c7&opt=1

OA260

Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:39 pm

Quoting kaitak (Reply 38):
Also, a report from Aviation Herald on the 757 diversion last night:

http://avherald.com/h?article=453b34...opt=1

Interesting some of the comments about it should have gone to SNN instead. I guess the Engineers being at DUB make sense if that is true .

iRISH251

Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:48 pm

The 757 was still at DUB this evening, though a replacement aircraft had arrived during the day and taken the passengers on to Boston.

N172AJ Boeing 757-223ER by Irish251, on Flickr

Also seen were these stored A320s, formerly of OLT Express.

OLT Express A320s by Irish251, on Flickr

And this ex-Kingfisher A330 arrived at DUB to be painted for Arik Air.

EI-EWH A330-223 by Irish251, on Flickr

dstc47

Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:45 am

Nice photos 251.

Good to see more than blues and greens at DUB.

BestWestern

Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:42 am

Posted on PPrune that BA will increase flying to x8 daily from this winter to Heathrow. If so, thats a fairly bloody nose for EI, and excellent news for the consumer.

pesit4a

Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:48 am

Quoting bestwestern (Reply 42):
Posted on PPrune that BA will increase flying to x8 daily from this winter to Heathrow. If so, thats a fairly bloody nose for EI, and excellent news for the consumer.

Great news if true.

The competitive situation on Dublin - London needs a serious shake up. It's been too cosy for too long with an effective duopoly between EI and FR. AF and BD have been pretty much niche operators compared with the other two.

OA260

Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:41 am

Quoting bestwestern (Reply 42):

Certainly is good news if it is true . That's a doubling of the current schedule and if the prices come down then it will be welcome. The fares are way too high at the moment.

BestWestern

Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:13 am

Interesting days ahead in the dynamic Irish aviation industry as BA are stronger competitors than BD ever were. Two night stops and a good schedule is an interesting start and signals there is still money to be made from Ireland.

Wonder if LH will allow OW and ST to mop up the Irish feed?

ClassicLover

Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:15 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 44):
Certainly is good news if it is true . That's a doubling of the current schedule and if the prices come down then it will be welcome. The fares are way too high at the moment.

How? Most of the Economy Class flights are priced at €60. This includes food and a bag. The Aer Lingus Plus Fares are at €62 - which also includes a bag and a seat. I don't see your logic in this being priced too high.

Meanwhile, I am off to Washington DC in October, and to be creative, I am flying DUB-LHR on EI, LHR-IAD on BA, DCA-MIA on AA in First (€210 all in on an Instant Upgrade fare - dinner flight too!), MIA-LHR on BA and LHR-DUB on BA. Fun times ahead  

OA260

Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:27 am

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 46):
How? Most of the Economy Class flights are priced at €60. This includes food and a bag. The Aer Lingus Plus Fares are at €62 - which also includes a bag and a seat. I don't see your logic in this being priced too high.

They certainly are not on many of the days I looked at . Especially one week before . Im a regular on the DUB-LHR and DUB-LGW and have noticed over the last 12 months the fare hikes and ability to ''bag'' these EUR62 fares ! Not just me either friends of mine and former colleagues in the industry also notice the changes.

Eirules

Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:33 am

Not great news for EI especially as they seem to be considering attempts at strengthening their LHR network. Perhaps this is BA's response to those rumours... With this and the seeming deterioration in the UA relationship, EI need to look at where their partnerships for the future lies.

For me EI should be looking at this as an opportunity. We all know the levels of feed BA get from EI into LHR and despite them increasing the number of flights for the winter, the last thing BA need is a load of slots locked up flying to DUB when they essentially are going to gain nothing more than they already have with the EI feed. This will restrict their ability to launch new long haul flights to some of the markets they have suggested in China, South America etc. EI should be using this to their advantage and looking at Star Alliance (and to a lesser extend Skyteam) to see what they can offer for the feed at LHR and playing them off against BA. I do however think that this may just be BA's easiest way of using the slots for the winter season before they launch new long haul routes for next summer...
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

pesit4a

Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:34 am

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 46):

Try getting them. I never can at times I want and those are rarely at peak times either.

FR fares have also become a bit ridiculous. Far, far too cosy.

I'm sure the DAA are quite pleased. I'm looking forward to a good old fares war like the ones we used to have...