OA260
Topic Author

Boy 11 Stranded In UAE Due To Sudden Flying Fear.

Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:54 pm

Must be horrible to have something like this after years of being ok . Anyone ever experienced this ?

Also shame the Saudi authorities wouldnt look on him with compassion and grant a visa so he can get home by other ways.

Doesnt seem to be anything obvious that triggered it like a bad flight or anything .

The family of a boy from Weston-super-Mare have been trying to bring him home from the Middle East for a month after he suddenly developed a fear of flying.

Joe Thompson, 11, should have flown back from Abu Dhabi with his parents on 1 July, but said his body "locks down" every time he goes near the airport.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-19048737

DocLightning

RE: Boy 11 Stranded In UAE Due To Sudden Flying Fear.

Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:34 am

Give him some lorazepam and put him on the flight?
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

ANITIX87

Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:48 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 1):

That's my recipe! Alprazolam for anxiety, Bonine for motion sickness, and a ton of Ginger Ale!

Works every time.

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

Quokkas

Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:53 am

The linked article mentions that the parents gave him medicine without saying what it was. The UAE is very strict when it comes to drugs and many over the counter medicines in other countries can only be carried if you have a valid prescription. Possession of such substances can have serious consequences as the UAE treats many common prescription drugs as narcotics or drugs of addiction, whereas in other countries they may be viewed as psychotropics.

Both Lorazepam and Alprazolam are on the UAE's list of Controlled Substances - Class A. These are drugs for which a prescription must be held. In UAE, they can only be dispensed upon production of a registered (health authority-approved) prescription.

The article does not mention whether the parents obtained, or sought to obtain these or similar drugs in the UAE. Must be a worry not being able to leave after having given up their jobs.

Hopefully a solution will be found sooner than later.
“Not to laugh, not to cry, not to hate, but understand.” Spinoza

spiritair97

Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:23 am

Three words:

ZANEX! ZANEX! ZANEX!

Jokes aside, I feel so bad for the kid. It must be horrible to be like that, especially that far away from home.

[Edited 2012-07-31 20:24:53]

CO777DAL

Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:39 am

Ha. My parents would have found a fix for this problem real quick! They would just walk me outside and five minutes later my fear of flying is cured. It is now replaced by a fear of getting another good ole fashion *** whooping! Hum, fear or getting on the plane of fear of that belt. I'll take my chances on the plane. Since they are in the UAE his parents can spank him as much as they want.
Worked Hard. Flew Right. Farewell, Continental. Thanks for the memories.

N809FR

Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:56 am

Quoting spiritair97 (Reply 4):
ZANEX! ZANEX! ZANEX!

It's Xanax... Also known as Alprazolam. As someone with sever anxiety, I often find taking anxiety meds does not work. I've fallen asleep at the airport and missed flights before taking my normal dose of Xanax.

DocLightning

Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:06 am

Quoting Quokkas (Reply 3):
Both Lorazepam and Alprazolam are on the UAE's list of Controlled Substances - Class A. These are drugs for which a prescription must be held. In UAE, they can only be dispensed upon production of a registered (health authority-approved) prescription.

Well, you go to a doctor. I've written for some lorazepam on some kids this age who freak out for their shots.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Quokkas

Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:47 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 8):
Well, you go to a doctor.

Of course but travellers need to be aware that drugs that they carry routinely and can buy over the counter in one country are not necessarily permitted in another country. For example, you can be arrested for having common non-prescription drugs containing codeine. Some substances need not only a prescription but also an approval issued by the UAE health authority before you can import them, and this may also apply to people who are merely in transit at an airport. Hence my word of caution when it comes to people recommending the use of drugs to other people.

As a doctor you are probably familiar with this but other posters may not even think about it and may end up in a difficult situation as a result. If anyone is travelling with medicines it is strongly recommended that they contact the authorities in the country they are travelling to if they have any doubts. I previously had to travel with my mother who had been prescribed both galantamine (Reminyl) and escitalopram (Lexapro) and knew that the latter is a Controlled Drug Class B – Controlled Medicine in the UAE. This class includes ingredient used in many medicines for things like coughs and colds. A ten minute phone call is much better than ten years in gaol, particularly where you can be arrested for having poppy seeds dropping off a bagel.  

AR385

Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:00 am

I´m not sure a dose of any benzodiazepine will work for this kid, unless it renders him unconscious. I´d rather use Niitrous Oxide, but that doesn´t last once you stop breathing it. What about Propofol? But then you would need an anesthesiologist to come along for the ride. Strange and bad situation for the kid.

DocLightning

Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:03 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 10):

I´m not sure a dose of any benzodiazepine will work for this kid, unless it renders him unconscious. I´d rather use Niitrous Oxide, but that doesn´t last once you stop breathing it. What about Propofol? But then you would need an anesthesiologist to come along for the ride. Strange and bad situation for the kid.

Never underestimate the power of a benzo.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

AR385

Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:13 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 11):
Never underestimate the power of a benzo.

I´m not saying a benzo won´t knock him out. I´m saying it´s gonna take a good quantity of them, especially if he is in a phobic state. You also have the issue of the paradoxical effect which could occurr, and then it would be for naught.

art

Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:57 am

Extraordinary situation. I hope the Saudis will reconsider and grant visas on compassionate grounds.

AmericanAirFan

Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:18 am

They should just do like they always did to Mr. T in the A-Team. I'm sure that kid wouldn't be saying "Bettah not put me on no airplane foool!"

Sorry I couldn't resist  

In all seriousness though this is the best idea:

Quoting CO777DAL (Reply 5):
Ha. My parents would have found a fix for this problem real quick! They would just walk me outside and five minutes later my fear of flying is cured. It is now replaced by a fear of getting another good ole fashion *** whooping! Hum, fear or getting on the plane of fear of that belt. I'll take my chances on the plane. Since they are in the UAE his parents can spank him as much as they want.

I mean honestly. What would you do if it was your kid?
"American 1881 Cleared For Takeoff One Seven Left"

aerorobnz

Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:34 am

time to send him back by boat or by road. It is only 7100km or so to drive. I did more than that on a recent driving tour of Europe...
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

macc

Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:25 am

Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 15):
time to send him back by boat or by road. It is only 7100km or so to drive. I did more than that on a recent driving tour of Europe...

That would be quite a fun trip on the road. From Abu Dhabi, you go through Saudi - oh wait, no visa - then through Iraq and Syria (well known for their beautiful landscape, their state of the art tourist infrastructure and peaceful people), right into Turkey. Maybe with a stop in Lebanon on the way.
Alternatively, you can always try to cross Iran...
I exchanged political frustration with sexual boredom. better spoil a girl than the world

higherflyer

Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:31 am

Poor kid!

My nieces moved from the UK to the Gulf when they were very little (4 and 3). They walked down a jetbridge to their business class seats and fell asleep, waking after the landing in Bahrain where they walked off a jetbridge to the terminal. They asked their parents why my wife and I were in London instead of Bahrain.

If only Joe could be as unaware as they were.

tennis69

Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:14 am

This is exactly what my parents would have done, and what I would do if I faced this situation. This boy's parants are WHIMPS!

bthebest

Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:02 am

Blindfold him, noise cancelling headphones and don't tell him where he's going. Of course this would require a little co-operation from the authorities so probably out of the question.

ushermittwoch

Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:14 am

Something similar has happened to me.
Well, at least that I have developed a sudden, out of the blue, fear of flying.
I guess it has to do with the loss of control that I have developed after a few instances of feeling totally out of control (death of my father, being dumped by my long time girlfriend and bankruptcy of my former employer all within two months).
Where have all the tri-jets gone...

fn1001

Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:27 am

My proposal:

- get a visa for Iran. For tourists, even from UK, Iran still is a safe country, anetters from Iran can confirm this.
- take a coach to Ras-al-Khaimah
- take a boat to Bandar-e-Abbas in Iran
- within Iran land transport is good develloped and safe.
- from Teheran there are coach lines to Turkey, I think there is also a daily train service to Istanbul
- from Turkey there are regular trains and coaches to Bucharest, Belgrade, maybe also to Vienna, and onward to the UK

Travel time: Iran 3-4 days, Turkey 2-3 days, Europe 3-4 days

Edit:
Since no one can estimate the log-term effect of the medication I think giving drugs to a child should be no option.

[Edited 2012-08-01 03:31:58]
Mai bine să-ţi fie rău decît să-ţi pară rău.

PanHAM

Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:40 am

Or, offer the lad the alternatives.

Get on the next damn plane bound for the UK

or be sold as slave on the local market.

I mean, how did we, who are a bit older, grew up in the 50s? Feather bedded? What would our parents have told us in that case? Life is tough and no one promised a rose garden.

Quoting FN1001 (Reply 20):
take a boat to Bandar-e-Abbas in Iran

what if he gets sea sick as well? Or claustophobia on a bus?

[Edited 2012-08-01 04:04:01]
powered by Eierlikör

fn1001

Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:54 am

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 21):
I mean, how did we, who are a bit older, grew up in the 50s? Feather bedded? What would our parents would told us in that case? Life is tough and no one promised a rose garden.

In the seventies we had feather bed from real goose   not IKEA polyurethane foam. I guess my father would have kicked my a-- and sent me to take a cold shower in the garden but the difference is that this boy is ill and we were healthy.

Reading the article I got the impression that there is a serious psychic problem. The symptom, strong anxiety can be ignored when forcing the boy in an aircraft, but that can make the base problem even worse.
Mai bine să-ţi fie rău decît să-ţi pară rău.

rutankrd

Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:03 am

The solution is a call to shipping broker and booking a passage on a freighter.

Yes you still can do that might be expensive but it will get the kid out of the area and on his way back to the UK.

It is very costly $4000-$5000 would be about the going rate and it would take about 8 weeks.

Read the story some days ago with the talk of bringing the kid overland . The parents have been advised by the UK FO not cross Iraq or Syria for security reasons or enter Iran.

I don't see the problem with Iran with correct paper work as this would get them up to the Turkish frontier (I would have more concerns for safety in parts of Turkey beyond Diyarbakır ) and then across Europe. Frankly this is the only viable cross land route. So the FO rather than general advice should be doing the job they are paid for contacting Tehran and getting the necessary assurances and paper work and travel arrangements sorted right NOW !

The southern route across Saudi could work again subject to UK FO doing their job and actually talking to Riyadh and expressing the humanitarian nature and plight of this family.

This route could take them across the desert in a few days to Yanbu a ferry to Egypt land crossing upto Alexandria and ferry to Italy - Problem is the Egypt- Italy ferry is suspended as it is a triangular service Italy/Egypt/Syria/Italy and rather irregular !

Again the help of a Broker would be needed as there certainly are commercial sailings and cruise liners out of Egypt on a frequent basis back towards Europe.

DocGATTACA

Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:14 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 1):

That's just what I was thinking.

AFGMEL

Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:22 am

Another vote for smack upside the head.
B 727-44/200 732/3/4/8/9 767-3 742/3/4, 772/3, A319/20/21 332/333 342/3 , DC3/4/10, F28/50/100, ATR72

HAWAIIAN932

Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:23 am

I had a friend who was a flight attendent for CO for nearly 15 years. She woke up one morning and was suddenly terrified to fly. She had to quit her job and tried many different ways to get herself back to normal. Therapy and other things finally worked. Took her 10 years before she finally got back on a plane, and that was as a passenger.

spiritair97

Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:37 am

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 21):
Quoting tennis69 (Reply 17):
Quoting AFGMEL (Reply 25):

I love how all of you are making jokes about hitting the kid to get him on the plane, when they said that his body LOCKS DOWN when he gets to the airport. That is out of anybody's control, and a legitimate medical issue, not some kid changing his mind. This will not and can not be cured by hitting him.

PanHAM

Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:01 pm

The point is, in the 50s, the 60s and most certainly in the decades before, no one told us that we can be traumatized. So, we weren't. The problems people have today are luxury problems, compared with what kids have to endure in Syria, just to mention one.

Bad for the family and certainly expensive, if he does not want to fly get him on a boat as rutankrd suggested. But don't tell him about pirates.
powered by Eierlikör

andrefranca

Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:31 pm

Quoting OA260 (Thread starter):
Anyone ever experienced this ?

Guys, I totally understand how this kid feels, a few years ago my 30 YO uncle, came on a flight from BVB to MAO where we live, he never had problems or he was ever scared of flying, suddenly he started getin' anxious and nervous his body started to tremble, sweating a lot, after a few minutes he called the crew and started to have a sort of panic attack! luckily the flight between these two cities is a little bit more than 1 hour.... after it landed in MAO my uncle went on ambulance to the hospital, almost having a heart stroke.... we can't really explain what happened, he spent some months doing psychological therapy, after almost one year he was able to fly again, but he avoids like hell, luckily there are daily buses and 99% of his travels now are made by bus, it's sad.

us330

Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:34 pm

I feel for the kid. When I was around that age I went through a similar experience (I still suffer from anxiety attacks--I've just learned how to cope and manage them better), and the answer for me was my dad giving me a healthy dose of xanax and forcing me onto the plane. As soon as I got onto the plane, I calmed down and was fine--it was just the anxiety leading up to it.

par13del

Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:41 pm

Quoting spiritair97 (Reply 27):
I love how all of you are making jokes about hitting the kid to get him on the plane, when they said that his body LOCKS DOWN when he gets to the airport.

Yes we read that, not being there I can only ask questions like others.
Is this the LOCK DOWN seen at airports or Disney World when kids want something their parents say no, they start crying and when the answer is still no their legs suddenly fail to function and they fall down and cannot walk?
We have all seen this and in our new PC correct world if a parent spanks the kid there is always a medical professional around who say it looks like the kids legs do have a medical problem.

I'll add this, I first say this story on Daily Mail web site a few weeks ago, based on a.net experts Daily Mail is somewhat of a rag news institution, I usually read it for the Human Interest side versus actual news, so initially I thought it was DM simply looking / digging around for a story.
So far no one seems to recall ever seeing or hearing of such before, and since the cost will be in the thousands of dollars to get the kid home by surface, I say let the financial folks decide, sedate him at home for sleep, take him to the airport, enter that medical personnel are on flight to keep him sedated, and when he wakes up he is in his bed at home in the UK.
If his body then locks down again when he hears that he was already on a plane the issue then is menatl and not physical.

Quokkas

Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:44 pm

Since they are in the UAE his parents can spank him as much as they want.

So long as they don't leave marks on his body. But if this boy has a real medical problem it will not be solved by violence. Interestingly enough, corporal punishment in Emirati schools was banned by decree back in 1998 although there are reports that it still happens.

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 28):
no one told us that we can be traumatized

True, earlier generations certainly had things tougher. Beating children and wives was quite acceptable and WWI soldiers who suffered shell-shock were dismissed as being malingerers. No understanding or sympathy back then. People who did have real traumas were locked away or simply left to fend for themselves, became alcoholics or drug addicts and avoided by everyone else.

The point is that possibly no one in this forum knows the parents or the boy. We do not know the underlying cause of his fear. We may not be dealing with a simple tantrum. If that is the case, slapping the child will not solve anything. If this were an adult we would recommend an assessment and therapy but because it is a child "Another vote for smack upside the head."

InsideMan

Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:45 pm

Dimenhydrinate should suffice and is available OTC.
Makes sleepy and relaxed and as us330 says, once you're on the plane, the anxiety will surely be a lot better.

brilondon

Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:52 pm

Quoting AmericanAirFan (Reply 13):
I mean honestly. What would you do if it was your kid?

Seriously!?

Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 14):

This looks like the only solution.

Quoting tennis69 (Reply 17):
This is exactly what my parents would have done, and what I would do if I faced this situation. This boy's parants are WHIMPS!

So your parents are bullies and would have assaulted you if they thought it would cure you of a phobia?

Quoting FN1001 (Reply 20):
Since no one can estimate the log-term effect of the medication I think giving drugs to a child should be no option.

This is what I am sure they would have done already. Don't drug them up, this may be more dangerous situation then not being drugged.

I can't believe that you people are serious about beating this child over a phobia. If I was your child, you can bet if I were to be beaten by you, I would beat the living crap out of you with my baseball bat.
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!

par13del

Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:26 pm

Quoting brilondon (Reply 34):
I can't believe that you people are serious about beating this child over a phobia.

We have accepted that the kid actually does want to return to the UK with his parents.
We also accepted that the Saudis have some rational and resonable reason for denying a visa for him and his dad to enter the country to board a boat / ship leaving the country same day.

We all have a lot of questions and I think our responses are based on those, nothing at this stage is absolute, to me that is.

American 767

Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:48 pm

Poor boy.

But we don t know what it is that made him hate airplanes.

I recently watched videos on You Tube about Virgin Express, no point posting them (I will if you ask me) because they are in Dutch and there are no subtitles. But here I tell the story:

Back in 2000, a kid (I don t know how old, maybe 12) was to fly with his parents to Turkey from Brussels with Virgin Express, it was probably a charter flight because as far as I can remember they never had any regular scheduled flights to Turkey. Upon boarding, the kid started to freak out and refused to get on the plane, a 737. Everybody was already sitting of the plane when the kid and his parents were still standing on the jetway with a Virgin Express employee. The kind employee approached the unhappy kid and tried to speak with him gently, tried hard to convince him to fly, but the kid who was very scared would not listen and still refuse to get on the plane. The mother explained what happened. Three years before, they went to an airshow in Belgium and there was a disaster, a small plane crashed and burst into flames. From what I understood, that is exactly what made the boy scared to travel on airplanes. The parents ended up canceling their trip to Turkey, they walked away from the airplane with their kid and decided to take a train to go somewhere (probably the Belgian coast on the English channel) for the summer holidays. What a sad story.

Ben Soriano
Ben Soriano

Type-Rated

Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:50 pm

Is this kid any relation to that little girl who held up an AirTran departure by crawling under a seat and refusing to come out? They (girl and parents) were thrown off while trying to negotiate with the little girl to come out from under the seat.

What do they mean by this kid having his body "lock down"? Just carry him onboard as a stiff!

Eleven years old is a little too old for this kind of behavior. I wonder if this kid has other "problems"?

Trying to be sensitive to his needs but seriously just who is in control in this situation?
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

ChinaClipper40

Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:56 pm

As a former U.S. Air Force medical officer, I treated a number of cases of severe flying phobia. Not in wimps or coddled kids. In career U.S. Air Force flight officers (pilots, electronic warfare officers, etc). Many with thousands of hours of flight experience. Many with combat experience. In each case the phobia was so severe that simply getting near an airplane would trigger a massive panic attack. And in most cases the phobia was brought on by surviving a really frightening experience (crash, near crash, ejection at high speed, etc). I don’t know what the state-of-the-art treatment is these days, but we used a combination of anxiolytic pharmacotherapy plus behavioral desensitization. We would give the patient a fairly stiff dose of a benzodiazepine (e.g., diazepam). Not enough to sedate him. Just enough to get him comfortably drowsy. Then we would drive over to the flight line, get out of the car, and walk towards an airplane. At whatever point the patient said “That’s it; I can’t take any more” we would abort and leave. Sometimes early in the desensitization process, the abort point would come before we even reached the flight line. But in every case, the patient’s own choice of abort point was honored. Then, over a period of weeks or even months, we would repeat the process - gradually getting closer and closer to a parked plane. Then, stepping on the ladder to get into the plane. Then actually getting into the plane. Then donning flight gear and sitting in the plane. Then riding as a passenger during taxiing. Then riding as a passenger during actual flight. Then gradually reducing the dose of anxiolytic until the patient was comfortable without it. Was it a lengthy process? Sometimes. Did it work? Yes. Panic disorder is a real neurological disorder. It cannot be cured by corporal punishment. The problem in the present case is that the UAE List of Restricted and Controlled Medicines or Drugs is big enough to choke a horse (approximately 50 pages long), is medically indefensible, and covers all medications used to treat panic disorder or post-traumatic stress disorder. So, two dysfunctional governments (UAE, Saudi Arabia) are preventing a young child from returning to his home. Nice people, eh?

AmericanAirFan

Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:04 pm

Seriously!?

I posed the question. What would you do if it was your kid? Really. What would you do? If I had a kid I wouldn't be very happy with him nor would I tolerate his behavior. Placing myself in the kid's shoes, I know my parents would not tolerate my behavior and there would be stiff consequences (non-abusive) for my flat out refusal to travel after countless times traveling. If he had previously flown countless times, his fear is completely irrational, and it's not like he has never flown before. You can't tell me a kid just "locks up" one day. Unless he had some serious scare.

First world problems I tell yah...
"American 1881 Cleared For Takeoff One Seven Left"

Eurohub

Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:55 pm

If I was your child, you can bet if I were to be beaten by you, I would beat the living crap out of you with my baseball bat.

If you were my child, you would have been taught to respect your elders from day one and to accept punishment when punishment is dealt out. Actions have consequences you know.
Forget A vs B - Give me E or BAe any day of the week!

brilondon

Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:59 pm

Quoting AmericanAirFan (Reply 39):
I wouldn't be very happy with him nor would I tolerate his behavior. Placing myself in the kid's shoes, I know my parents would not tolerate my behavior and there would be stiff consequences (non-abusive) for my flat out refusal to travel after countless times traveling.

I don't think the child has an irrational fear. Some people are afraid of flying, I know on here that seems crazy but that is a real phobia. People develop fears over time, some people may not develop a phobia until adulthood.

Quoting AmericanAirFan (Reply 39):
If he had previously flown countless times, his fear is completely irrational, and it's not like he has never flown before. You can't tell me a kid just "locks up" one day. Unless he had some serious scare.

You can't know when a phobia develops in children. I didn't develop my fear of heights until I was a teenager, now I don't go up mountains at all. I love to fly, but skydiving petrifies me. That fear of dying thing or worse not dying when falling from such a height.

turjo101

Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:25 pm

Wow!! I am astounded by the number of Anetters suggesting hitting the child to force him on the plane. Whats worse is saying this kind of thing never happened in the 50s-70s because we never knew these kinds of things could happen. Maybe it did happen regularly as air travel was comparatively less common among middle-class people, but maybe no one bothered to write about it back then.

There are recent cases of completely normal people, boarding aircraft quite normally only to develop panic attacks on-board half way in flight. Aren't there cases where even the flight crew were incapacitated due to panic attacks? I am sure more research in this would find some kind of correlation between, temperature, air-pressure, light, space etc that can trigger extreme anxiety in completely normal people. And also this is not a case of the parents not forcing the child to fly, but its the crew not allowing him to board due to his "physical / psychological" state.

I think there should be a thread discussing A-netters who obviously love planes but may have a fear of flying.

spiritair97

Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:39 pm

Does anybody even know what airline he was to travel on?

TC957

Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:54 pm

A great pity this happened at this time of year, as there are direct cruises in April from Dubai - Southampton after the winter season in Dubai. A lovely way to spend three weeks or so.

jetblueguy22

Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:24 pm

My brother was in a similar situation in January. My parents fly a lot for business. A couple hundred thousand miles a year, and I am in flight school 1200 miles away. We are a fairly well traveled family but the last couple years when we would go on vacation he and my stepfather would drive and my mother and I would fly. That way we only had two tickets and didn't have to worry about a rental car. But this year he wanted to come out and watch our hockey team play but he hadn't flown in a couple years. Because of that he was absolutely terrified. He didn't share it because he wanted to go so bad. But when he got to the airport he got extremely scared and almost said no. My mom gave him a dose of Benadryl to calm him down and so he would sleep a little bit. He was traveling with my best friend as well and when they landed you could see the hand imprint from my brother on my buddy's wrist. It was really something else. He did get over it though. Some times you just have to do what you are afraid of to get over it. I'm a pilot that was afraid of heights. I went zip lining one time and boom I'm all better. I realize it may not work for everyone but sometimes you have to teach your kids to face their fears. Because if you run your entire life you're going to live an extremely boring existence.
Blue
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

brilondon

Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:09 pm

Quoting Eurohub (Reply 40):
If you were my child, you would have been taught to respect your elders from day one and to accept punishment when punishment is dealt out. Actions have consequences you know.

The respect you mention is two way street. My parents never ever used physical violence to persuade me to do what they want. I am not a person who thinks physically beating a child makes them respect you. Punishment can be non-violent or am I just talking to neanderthal types who believes the axiom "spare the rod, spoil the child".

danielmyatt

Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:19 pm

Quoting brilondon (Reply 46):
Quoting Eurohub (Reply 40):

The respect you mention is two way street. My parents never ever used physical violence to persuade me to do what they want. I am not a person who thinks physically beating a child makes them respect you. Punishment can be non-violent or am I just talking to neanderthal types who believes the axiom "spare the rod, spoil the child".

This all over.
Respect is earned not just to be expected just because you're older, and if you were one of my parents and you beat me, you would have ZERO of my respect.
A non violent solution is always better, as it shows you have at least a modicum of intelligence to think around our issue rather than punching it until it does what you want.

Type-Rated

Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:36 pm

Many of the people on a.net were also raised during the 1950's/60's where this "I want to be my child's friend" type of parenting was not yet used. Most parents of that era were of the "Do what I say or else!" or "You'll do as I say because I said so!". if you resisted you were probably smacked pretty good.
Later it has been found that kids that were raised in this type of environment do the same to their kids. It all goes downhill from generation to generation until somebody realizes that whacking your kid is just no longer acceptable.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

par13del

Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:18 pm

Quoting danielmyatt (Reply 47):
A non violent solution is always better, as it shows you have at least a modicum of intelligence to think around our issue rather than punching it until it does what you want.

Ahh, so you make the assumption that both sides are equal when it comes to intelligence, babies learn by denial rather than speech reasoning, some may consider that just as bad as corporal punishment.
Just a thought.