dc10@dfw
Topic Author

US Airways Begins Int'l Economy Meal Pay

Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:56 pm

Looks like US Airways is taking the first step in charging for international economy meal service. They say they are still offering complimentary meals, but I do wonder if this is the next chapter in the race to the bottom. http://finance.yahoo.com/news/us-air...omes-first-domestic-130000600.html

petera380

RE: US Airways Begins Int'l Economy Meal Pay

Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:59 pm

Another reason not to fly US carriers!  

Someone83

Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:00 pm

Air France and KLM does the same, and it's a good way to get a more edible meal than they usually serve. So a good move IMHO

LOWS

Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:07 pm

Quoting dc10@dfw (Thread starter):
Looks like US Airways is taking the first step in charging for international economy meal service. They say they are still offering complimentary meals, but I do wonder if this is the next chapter in the race to the bottom. http://finance.yahoo.com/news/us-air...omes-first-domestic-130000600.html

I always try and fly LH or OS when I'm going to the US for a variety of reasons.

BUT

Maybe this is just US trying to be innovative? I mean Y-class meals on UA and US couldn't really get much worse. So it's not like they can degrade that product any further.

EricR

Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:13 pm

Your post is somewhat misleading. US is adding a premium meal option for Y class passengers. It is an enhancement to their current service, but this enhancement comes with a fee. For those not wishing to pay for the premium meal option, the standard meal is still available at no additional charge to the passenger.

roseflyer

Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:17 pm

$20 for a premium meal and free wine is a bit high of a price. I don’t see many people taking that option when there is a free meal, but it is an interesting experiment.

One problem that US Airways has to fix is that they are cashless on mainline flights and cash only on regional flights. They need to fix that because it causes too much confusion.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

LOWS

Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:19 pm

Quoting Roseflyer (Reply 5):
One problem that US Airways has to fix is that they are cashless on mainline flights and cash only on regional flights. They need to fix that because it causes too much confusion.

Presumably, you can select this at boarding like EconomyPlus on UA?

Tdan

Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:20 pm

This is a brilliant move! No spoilage and every meal sold is purely incremental to the bottom line. Way to go US! It's nice to see a US airline providing a value-added service vs. simply charging for things that used to be free. I'd expect UA/DL/AA to match this asap.
We will ride this thunderbird, silver shadows on the earth, a thousand leagues away our land of birth... -Captain Bruce

MaverickM11

Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:21 pm

Quoting Someone83 (Reply 2):
Air France and KLM does the same, and it's a good way to get a more edible meal than they usually serve. So a good move IMHO

I'm not sure who would shell out for this? Is anyone buying them on AF/KL? Last I heard they were selling very few.
E pur si muove -Galileo

LOWS

Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:22 pm

Presumably, you can select this at booking like EconomyPlus on UA?

HPRamper

Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:23 pm

$20 for a premium meal and free wine is a bit high of a price. I don’t see many people taking that option when there is a free meal, but it is an interesting experiment.

I think that for the people who are going to opt for paying extra, 20 bucks isn't going to bother them too much.

Completely agree with this one. Makes absolutely no sense.

The thread title should probably be modified a bit - it implies international economy meals now cost money.

ua2162

Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:36 pm

HA has been doing this for years.

Although the standard Y meal is still served, choices such as sushi platters or salads are available for purchase. It has proven to be quite popular.

Granted, $19.99 does seem a little steep but I think this really is an enhancement. Nothing has been taken away.

I think US learned their lesson when they started to charge for beverages a few years ago. I don't see them making the same mistake twice.

pesit4a

Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:39 pm

On Air France, the meals are usually very very good! So perhaps people find it tough to justify spending extra.

That said, the new pay meals do look very good indeed.
You just can't keep a good man down!

FWAERJ

Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:41 pm

Quoting LOWS (Reply 6):

I think AA has the same mixed policy. DL is cashless on mainline and 2-class RJs, but cash-only on the 50 seaters.
"Did he really need the triple bypass? Or was it the miles?"

sw733

Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:45 pm

$20 for a premium meal and free wine is a bit high of a price
Quoting HPRamper (Reply 10):
I think that for the people who are going to opt for paying extra, 20 bucks isn't going to bother them too much.

I do think that $20 is a bit high. Especially for, say, a business traveler on per diem. Sure, $20 may cover their meal...but is it worth spending $20 on an enhanced airline meal, or just eating the free stuff and keeping the $20 to add to the next evening's nicer meal? I'd rather do the latter, honestly.

For $20, even with wine, it better be good. And what if someone doesn't want the wine? In that case it's REALLY expensive. They say the wine is complimentary, but we all know it isn't - it's just factored in to the meal.

AeroWesty

Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:46 pm

UA tried this a few years ago, too. Granted, it didn't last long, and was only available on select flights. Regardless, the pictures of the food look nice, and I'd give it a go for 20 bucks. What's that in relation to the cost of a ticket plus ground costs on a vacation? Not much, really.
International Homo of Mystery

LOWS

Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:49 pm

Quoting FWAERJ (Reply 13):
Quoting LOWS (Reply 6):

I think AA has the same mixed policy. DL is cashless on mainline and 2-class RJs, but cash-only on the 50 seaters.

That's not my quote.

ba319-131

Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:55 pm

The images look pretty decent, nice presentation, decent quantity too, I think $20 is not so bad in the bigger scheme of things.
111,732,3,4,5,7,8,BBJ,741,742,743,744,752,762,763,764,772,77L,773,77W,L15,D10,30,40,AB3,AB6,A312.313,319,320,321,332,333

tommy767

Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:04 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 15):

IIRC, it was on United's PS a few years ago. And yes, they looked very nice. Champagne was included in one of the breakfast options.

It's a good idea. Would like to see the other US flag carriers follow.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

AeroWesty

Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:10 pm

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 18):
IIRC, it was on United's PS a few years ago.

UA900 SFO-FRA had the option too:

"Reserve your meal"

The options were Grilled Tenderloin, Grilled Chicken Breast, or Cheese Tortellini meals for $19.

goldorak

Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:13 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 8):
I'm not sure who would shell out for this? Is anyone buying them on AF/KL? Last I heard they were selling very few.

They just started a month ago, so it's a little bit early to make an assessment. Personally, I tried them once.
I can tell you that AF premium meals look very good. They cost between 18 and 28€ IIRC. The most expensive one is with LeNotre products.

spacecadet

Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:07 pm

Not sure if they're still doing this, but last time I flew ANA you could actually purchase the full business class food experience from economy class. So this seems to be kind of a trend. I did not get the feeling at all that this was a move towards eventually charging economy passengers for *any* food; it seemed like they were just trying to upsell. I don't have a problem with that. They also allow you to buy a whole bunch of stuff a-la-carte, so if you get hungry between meals, you can order something like an ice cream or noodles or something for 300 yen. *That* I thought might eventually take the place of the "snack" in between meals, but I think the upsell on the food service is just something extra.

I personally did not feel like the upgraded food was worth it on ANA, but there probably would be *some* level in between where I would think it's worth it. It's just like Economy Plus/Premium Economy... I'm not gonna pay halfway or more to a full business class fare for 4 inches more legroom, but I would pay $60 for it and that's what B6 and Delta are charging on most longer flights.

ANA was charging something like $100 for the business class food... and all I could think was two meals, $50 each... I mean I can go eat at some of the fanciest restaurants in New York City or Tokyo for that. It would be different if they charged for alcohol in economy, but they don't (uh oh, I hope they don't get any ideas from this).

Anyway, so I don't really see this as a bad thing for US to do, but it seems like kind of an experiment right now to find the right level that people will pay extra for. International flying is too competitive for them to do away with free meals altogether, though.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

caetravlr

Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:11 pm

In general I despise everything about US. However, for $20 for a decent meal with wine, that might not be a bad deal at all. I certainly don't know any restaurants I can go to and eat that way for that price. I like having options for a reasonable price. I certainly like this idea better than some of the other fees that airlines are imposing these days. However, if this is meant to be a first step towards charging for every meal internationally in Y, I could definitely see US leading the charge on that. However, at this point it just seems to me that it is a nice, reasonably priced, enhancement.
A woman drove me to drink and I didn't have the decency to thank her. - W.C. Fields

jreuschl

Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:33 pm

Misleading first post.. "race to the bottom"?

Anyway, some may find it overpriced, but it is an option. Considering how much you pay even for seats on some carriers that just get you extra legroom, $20 isn't bad.

sw733

Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:40 pm

Quoting caetravlr (Reply 22):
However, for $20 for a decent meal with wine, that might not be a bad deal at all. I certainly don't know any restaurants I can go to and eat that way for that price.

It's not going to be a 4-star meal...in the end, you've gotta imagine it'll still fall well short of even business class. I bet you can get a reheated meal and glass of mediocre wine for $20 where you live. I know I could here in Kansas City.

ytz

Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:24 pm

I'd pay $40 if I was getting a J class meal instead.

If all they are giving you is some sauced over wings and a glass of wine than $20 isn't worthwhile. You'd do better, buying some food before you board.

That said, I wonder if the $20 is per meal or for the whole flight. That changes the equation too. Trans-Atlantic you usually get two meals. What if both of those were upgraded? So now it's $10 per meal.

sw733

Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:27 pm

Quoting ytz (Reply 25):

Wow, I don't think I would. $40 is about the same as a good filet in a nice steakhouse. I've never had any airline meal, even in J, that would compare to that.

You make a good point about the per meal price though...that does change things. In coach, I'm usually OK with the dinner but would often prefer a larger pre-landing breakfast with more protein to get me going.

anstar

Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:40 pm

Exactly - I believe KL now have 5 premium meal options.

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 8):

Well I would expect a fair few are 'shelling' out for it given that KL have been doing it for a hile and AF have just decided to implement it..... why would AF implement it if it was unsuccessful with KL?

peanuts

Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:44 pm

I do wonder if this is the next chapter in the race to the bottom.

That's just it, it's not.
It's a further effort into individualizing and enhancing the travel experience and increasing ancillary revenue streams. How is this exactly a race to the bottom?

In this facebook day and age, we all think we are special and unique somehow. It's about time businesses take this a step further and make an extra buck answering the need for specialness.

Folks love to gripe about airline food. Pretty soon it will be put up or shut up. Brilliant move and as long as nobody (without a cc on board) is left starving on long flights, it's a win win for everybody (except airport vendors).

ytz

Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:45 pm

Quoting sw733 (Reply 26):
Wow, I don't think I would. $40 is about the same as a good filet in a nice steakhouse. I've never had any airline meal, even in J, that would compare to that.

I get the sentiment, but it's not comparable. First, most airport restaurants charge a fair bit anyway and they aren't on par with the best steakhouses in town. Next, your other option is the regular economy meal. It's not like you can just waltz over to a nearby restaurant. Your stuck on that metal tube for hours and you'll be changing timezones when you arrive, which may not guarantee a solid meal on touchdown. For example, I've taken a flight from YYZ to LHR that departed at 0900 from YYZ and had me getting to my hotel on Trafalgar Square close to 2300 local, on a weeknight. Not exactly a situation where I can get a good steak on arrival.

It's contextual and value points will vary from person-to-person but for me personally, I'd pay more only if I was getting the same food as J class. If it's just marginally better food ("gourmet" sandwich) and a glass of wine, it's not worth $20. The difference from Y to J on food is huge. It's usually worth, well more than $20 in my opinion.

JU068

Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:51 pm

I heard so many people complain about US Airways when they flew on them from Europe. Could someone point out what these differences are and what makes European carriers superior in this regard?

For example a friend of mine which flies at least ten times per year from Belgrade to Chicago avoids United as much as she can due mediocre service on board and unfriendly crew.

Thanks and sorry if it is slightly off topic.

ytz

Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:55 pm

Quoting sw733 (Reply 14):
I do think that $20 is a bit high. Especially for, say, a business traveler on per diem. Sure, $20 may cover their meal...but is it worth spending $20 on an enhanced airline meal, or just eating the free stuff and keeping the $20 to add to the next evening's nicer meal? I'd rather do the latter, honestly.

If you travel for work enough, that mentality might change. It's not uncommon to fly out for a meeting. Night in hotel. Meeting the next day. Fly back that night. There's no second night fancy dinner.

And given the way most businesses are going with paying for J, $20 for a meal upgrade is probably an improvement for many an employee.

Flighty

Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:58 pm

Quoting ju068 (Reply 30):
I heard so many people complain about US Airways when they flew on them from Europe. Could someone point out what these differences are and what makes European carriers superior in this regard?

(1) Old 767 aircraft
(2) Uncomfortable A333 seat pitch

By now, these complaints should be fixed. 767s got new interiors and A333s also were supposed to get all new slimline seating and better PTVs. And tasty $20 food? It should mean they are class competitive in Atlantic markets now.

Weren't US quite early on the baggage fee issue as well? The $20 food idea is going to spread.

AeroWesty

Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:03 pm

Quoting sw733 (Reply 24):
I bet you can get a reheated meal and glass of mediocre wine for $20 where you live. I know I could here in Kansas City.

These are chilled meals: DineFresh

I would expect the quality would be about on par with if Olive Garden or Applebee's packed a picnic dinner for you to take onboard vs. a reheated Stouffer's quality meal for free.

JU068

Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:03 pm

Quoting Flighty (Reply 32):

Cool, thanks for the information!

OlafW

Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:47 pm

Looking at the pictures provided in the links, I'm wondering about several points:
- The packing of the meals looks rather fancy. How much of the $20 will be needed for that, and could the meal probably be $5 cheaper using a less fancy pack? I'd rather pay for better food instead of a better pack around it.
Apparently the premium meals come in a plastic compartmented tray.
- Why not use this tray for all meals? Last time I flew US, I got all parts of my meal in separate plastic containers. the compartmented tray might make handling easier in my opinion.
- On the other hand, even with single containers, US managed to put all of them in the oven, resulting e.g. in liquid butter. I see that happening for the premium meals as well when they are on one tray - and I'm not sure many people would like their salad or their chocolate cake in heated form.

Any thoughts from you on this?

Tugger

Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:58 pm

Quoting peanuts (Reply 28):
I do wonder if this is the next chapter in the race to the bottom.

That's just it, it's not.
It's a further effort into individualizing and enhancing the travel experience and increasing ancillary revenue streams. How is this exactly a race to the bottom?

Well to me the main determining factor will be what happens to the free meal in international economy. If it stays the same (into the near future) and improves over time (the idea is that companies should be working to improve their product, that's why competition is a good thing) then it isn't a bad thing. If the free meal stagnates and stays the same and/or goes downhill over time, then the "race" is running. Particularly if others do the same.

Quoting ytz (Reply 29):

I get the sentiment, but it's not comparable. First, most airport restaurants charge a fair bit anyway and they aren't on par with the best steakhouses in town. Next, your other option is the regular economy meal. It's not like you can just waltz over to a nearby restaurant. Your stuck on that metal tube for hours and you'll be changing timezones when you arrive, which may not guarantee a solid meal on touchdown. For example, I've taken a flight from YYZ to LHR that departed at 0900 from YYZ and had me getting to my hotel on Trafalgar Square close to 2300 local, on a weeknight. Not exactly a situation where I can get a good steak on arrival.

It's contextual and value points will vary from person-to-person but for me personally, I'd pay more only if I was getting the same food as J class. If it's just marginally better food ("gourmet" sandwich) and a glass of wine, it's not worth $20. The difference from Y to J on food is huge. It's usually worth, well more than $20 in my opinion.

Also remember that cost is driven by the number of times an item has to be "touched" (yes I know regarding food that could be "eewww"! But I'm talking the business concept) to get it to the consumer. A normal restaurant has a much shorter supply chain to get food to the customer and doesn't have the "security concerns" that airlines now have to operate under (pins in food, really?). SO the ground food will always be cheaper for like meals. There is no way around it.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

AeroWesty

Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:07 pm

Quoting OlafW (Reply 35):
I see that happening for the premium meals as well when they are on one tray - and I'm not sure many people would like their salad or their chocolate cake in heated form.

As I linked above, the premium meal offering is for chilled meals. No risk of heated salad!

spacecadet

Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:25 pm

Quoting OlafW (Reply 35):
The packing of the meals looks rather fancy. How much of the $20 will be needed for that, and could the meal probably be $5 cheaper using a less fancy pack? I'd rather pay for better food instead of a better pack around it.

What looks fancy about it? I see a cheap plastic tray with possibly a cardboard top. A paper napkin wrapped in a paper sleeve. And... that's pretty much it.

It's photographed well, but I guarantee no one who buys this is going to be marveling at the fanciness of the packaging. Hopefully it'll have some kind of classy design on the top of the box but that's a design-once thing... and from the color scheme of the other things I can see, it looks like they'd only need to print 2 or 3 colors. No way it's $5 worth of packaging. Probably more like 50 cents.

In Japan, they sell fancier looking boxed meals on the train for about $9. I know I know, I'm not trying to directly compare the two, but I'm saying that extra $11 here is not going towards packaging... it's going towards stuff like the supply chain, security clearance, etc. And of course, a little extra to profit.

SonomaFlyer

Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:26 pm

I have zero issue with offering "premium meal options" on any airline. Food of course tends to be subjective but on long flights and across time zones, I don't have an issue paying $20 for a decent meal with a couple glasses of decent wine. In many big cities, that is roughly what you will pay anyway.

IF they were replacing any meal service on a long flight with paying for the "standard" meal, that would be a different issue entirely.

If the premium meals are chilled, that eliminates confusion in re-heating and mixing it up with the standard meals as well as zapping your crisp salads!

jetjack74

Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:59 pm

We had something similar to this at DL on our SEA-AMS-SEA for a month or 2. It was called Sky Bistro, and it was offered free of charge, a promotional meal option to gauge market response. It was a cold Grilled Chicken Salad with small side of deli meats. It was kind of like a Champagne supper that we offer on our short-haul flights out of NRT in BE, just on a coach tray. It only lasted a month or 2 and it was gauge market response. If it was a success, it would have been a buy-onboard meal option.
Made from jets!

Bobloblaw

Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:41 am

Quoting EricR (Reply 4):
Your post is somewhat misleading. US is adding a premium meal option for Y class passengers. It is an enhancement to their current service, but this enhancement comes with a fee. For those not wishing to pay for the premium meal option, the standard meal is still available at no additional charge to the passenger.

But he is right. This is simply an experiment to see if pax are willing to pay for a meal on a long haul flight. If many pax chooses this, free meals might be a thing of the past.

Remember UA tried to force pax to pay for all meals in 2008 from IAD and the idea was shot down by LH and SK who didnt want their code share pax having to pay for a meal.

usxguy

Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:46 am

Ooo... Pibb.. yummy!
xx

Ps76

Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:49 am

Hi!

To me it sounds like an interesting idea and I wish them all the best with it. If they really want to make money they should charge extra for 3 seats all to yourself in a plane which isn't full or something. Getting one of these seats is something I really value in an aircraft and would pay for! Of course doing that in practice would probably be very difficult after everyone's on board! Anyway back to the meal thing I've noticed in my limited flying that economy meals on BA tend to be much worse leaving the US than leaving the UK. That's only from my limited personal experience and I don't know why that is. I wonder if this is only for flights leaving the US too or also for returns which would mean they would have to fly the meals there and serve on the way back. Also not too sure about the box. I like sushi and japanese food but that looks like European food in a bento box which is a bit too much fusion for me! Anyway I hope it goes well. From tales I've heard from relatives in the US people (well not aviation nerds like me!) could do with something to get excited about and look forward to when flying US mainline carriers.

Quoting ju068 (Reply 30):
heard so many people complain about US Airways when they flew on them from Europe. Could someone point out what these differences are and what makes European carriers superior in this regard?

I only heard from one guy, a friend who flew US back from Charlotte around 2004 (I think back when they had the old color scheme). He said the cablin was in terrible shape and stuff. He didn't say anything about the service or food but I got the feeling he didn't enjoy the flight at all. I'm pretty sure things are a lot better now though.

Many thanks.

Pierre

einsteinboricua

Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:52 am

I think this is an excellent addition and should be deployed on their domestic flights as well (at least those longer than 3 hours). I'd pay $20 for the food and wine knowing that I'm getting a good meal. Paying $3 for M&Ms or $7 for a cold sandwich?...pass!

Quoting LOWS (Reply 9):

Presumably, you can select this at booking like EconomyPlus on UA?

Yep. It's something you add when you book.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

ZaphodB

Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:29 am

Quoting ytz (Reply 25):

On some airlines I think you'd have to drink a fair bit to make it worth $40. Last time I flew TATL J on AA the food was shocking - could not have cost more than $10, the domestic F meals I had between MIA and JFK in June were much better. I'd pay $40 for >= 34" seat pitch but not an upgraded meal. $20 - maybe but depending on the originating airport you might be able to carry on a better meal for that price.

planereality

Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:39 am

"...US Airways becomes the first U.S.-based carrier to offer a premium meal experience for customers in the main cabin."
what is the significance of being the first?
Andiamo!

USAirALB

Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:52 am

For the record, the title of this thread is extremely misleading and I already see the anti-US group reading the title and assuming US is going to charge for meals in Y on long haul.

If you want my .05 cents, this DineFresh service will be gone in about 4 months. Most people aren't willing to pay for it and the fact that you can only order it online will lead to its demise.

And also, US recently revamped their complementary Y meals, and they are pretty tasty. AND all INTL interiors were either completely refurbished or refreshed. All A333s have new seating and IFE.

[Edited 2012-08-01 19:56:11]
E135/E140/E145/E70/E75/E90/CR2/CR7/CR9/717/732/733/734/735/73G/738/739/752/753/762/772/77W/319/320/321/333/343

spacecadet

Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:45 am

Quoting USAirALB (Reply 47):
Most people aren't willing to pay for it and the fact that you can only order it online will lead to its demise.

Disagree with the former but agree with the latter. No one knows what the threshold is for what people are willing to pay for yet - my position is and has always been (and it's supported by the evidence) that people will pay a reasonable amount for reasonable creature comforts. The success of EMS and EC seats is evidence of that.

But the problem is most people won't even know about this until they get on the plane, so they're basically relying on regular fliers (and only the second flight onward) to buy these meals. That's a recipe for failure.

If they really *wanted* this to succeed, they'd figured out how many they needed to sell to at least break even, and then carry that many meals on every flight and sell them on the flight itself for impulse purchase. Then whatever they sell above that online is pure profit. If they run out, they run out, but at least they break even. And if they don't sell them, then they'll *really* know the upsell is a failure, because they'd have done all they can do. But they're not doing all they can do if they're only selling them online.

I'm pretty sure that when I flew ANA, you could decide on the plane that you wanted the business class food service and then pay with a credit card on board.

AeroWesty

Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:49 am

Quoting spacecadet (Reply 48):
But the problem is most people won't even know about this until they get on the plane, so they're basically relying on regular fliers (and only the second flight onward) to buy these meals. That's a recipe for failure.

I wouldn't put it past US to send an e-mail near the flight date or include a link in confirmation e-mails advertising the service, just like some airlines do with upgrade offers.