js1991
Topic Author

Whats Going On At LGW Now?

Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:11 pm

Just noticed lots of ezy flights diverting from gatwick to stansted.

Any one know whats going on?

jrowson

RE: Whats Going On At LGW Now?

Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:26 pm

Interesting....I came in at shortly before 9.30pm tonight and we got in fine but there is alot of rain and mist in the area. They are using the back up runway at the moment after 9.30 which does not have ILS. A couple of months back we were operating in similar weather and we had to divert to STN as we couldn't get visual for the runway. I'm going to take a wild guess and say the mist rolled in...which i could see in the distance as we were on finals...and that visual was lost.
James Rowson

Ps76

Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:07 am

Hi!

I think a similar thing happened to our gardener on a charter flight from Greece last month. Scheduled time of arrival was after midnight and he said something about the other runway and visibility or fog or something. Anyway he said when they went around people were terrified and the woman next to him grabbed him (which his wife wasn't too pleased about!). Anyway they flew to Stansted and hung around and refuelled a bit and flew back. He said it was a long long night but of course safety must come first.

I've only been on one go-around at Gatwick on Ryanair because of a plane still on the runway and nowone cared in the slightest (or at least they didn't show it). Doesn't make much sense to me!

Many thanks.

Pierre

P.S. If you live near Gatwick and ever get the chance to see them doing night landings on 26R/8L (the taxiway) it is quite cool to see from the parking garage in the South terminal. It's quite a bit closer to the terminal/buildings than 26L from what I remember.

js1991
Topic Author

Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:42 am

Thanks for the responses guys!

ZSOFN

Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:03 pm

Quoting Ps76 (Reply 2):
P.S. If you live near Gatwick and ever get the chance to see them doing night landings on 26R/8L (the taxiway) it is quite cool to see from the parking garage in the South terminal. It's quite a bit closer to the terminal/buildings than 26L from what I remember.

What's the logic of using that "runway", particularly at night?

TC957

Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:35 pm

Ongoing scheduled main runway surface upgrading and other improvement works are being carried out at night currently.
Have landed on 26R & 8L on late-evening easyJet flights, yes, very close to the terminal on final approach 26R.

TupolevTu154

Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:47 pm

Using 26R/08L is quite often cancelled if weather is going to be marginal. Surprised they didn't cancel it last night. I also heard lack of vis on approach (I wondered at the time why they don't just autoland or whatever but it being 26R makes sense now!).

Four EZY aircraft went to SEN, five to BHX, and one to EMA.