dkramer7
Topic Author

Qantaslink Versus Virgin Australia

Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:43 am

With both Qantas and Virgin Australia announcing new inflight entertainment options to be rolled out over the next year -

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-...-qantas-virgin-20120515-1yo52.html

- how is Qantaslink to keep up with Virgin if there are no (as yet to be announced) inflight entertainment upgrades?

n729pa

RE: Qantaslink Versus Virgin Australia

Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:23 pm

I can't imagine much in a Q400, the 717s perhaps but then they're not technically QF's aircraft are they so not sure if National Jet Systems, Cobham and Sunstate could do much without significant investment from QF . Just IMO. It will be interesting to see, as I always try and take in a QFL flight when I'm down that way.

skyhawkmatthew

Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:39 pm

Well, on many routes the Q400s are paired with Virgin (Skywest) ATRs, for which I haven't heard of any entertainment options – so I expect the regional arms will stay as they are as mainline gets the tablets and whatever else. The legs just aren't long enough to justify it; the window for using devices on a leg such as SYD-CBR or SYD-PQQ is 20 minutes or less.
Qantas - The Spirit of Australia.

strangr

Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:05 am

Quoting dkramer7 (Thread starter):
how is Qantaslink to keep up with Virgin if there are no (as yet to be announced) inflight entertainment upgrades?

do you really need this sort of stuff on a Q400, the only way you will see an increase of this sort on the QFlink segmants would be if they are to major locations that would require a 737+ to fly to site.

i really doubt any effort will be made by qantaslink to keep up with this. let the big boys fight it out.

qf002

Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:37 am

If anything, WIFI is the way forward for QFLink IMO. Especially for routes like SYD-CBR, where there is a lot of commerce and government traffic which will gradually insist on these services being offered, even if the flight is only 26-28 minutes airtime.

That said, I don't think it's a massive priority. I agree that the 717's would probably need to be handled first.

Quoting n729pa (Reply 1):

QF directly owns (or leases) all of QFLink's aircraft -- the operation of these is then contracted out to the subsidiaries. All but Cobham (aka National Jet) are wholly owned QF subsidiaries...