dkramer7
Topic Author

Qantaslink Versus Virgin Australia

Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:43 am

With both Qantas and Virgin Australia announcing new inflight entertainment options to be rolled out over the next year -

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-...-qantas-virgin-20120515-1yo52.html

- how is Qantaslink to keep up with Virgin if there are no (as yet to be announced) inflight entertainment upgrades?

n729pa

RE: Qantaslink Versus Virgin Australia

Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:23 pm

I can't imagine much in a Q400, the 717s perhaps but then they're not technically QF's aircraft are they so not sure if National Jet Systems, Cobham and Sunstate could do much without significant investment from QF . Just IMO. It will be interesting to see, as I always try and take in a QFL flight when I'm down that way.

skyhawkmatthew

Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:39 pm

Well, on many routes the Q400s are paired with Virgin (Skywest) ATRs, for which I haven't heard of any entertainment options – so I expect the regional arms will stay as they are as mainline gets the tablets and whatever else. The legs just aren't long enough to justify it; the window for using devices on a leg such as SYD-CBR or SYD-PQQ is 20 minutes or less.
Qantas - The Spirit of Australia.

strangr

Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:05 am

Quoting dkramer7 (Thread starter):
how is Qantaslink to keep up with Virgin if there are no (as yet to be announced) inflight entertainment upgrades?

do you really need this sort of stuff on a Q400, the only way you will see an increase of this sort on the QFlink segmants would be if they are to major locations that would require a 737+ to fly to site.

i really doubt any effort will be made by qantaslink to keep up with this. let the big boys fight it out.

qf002

Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:37 am

If anything, WIFI is the way forward for QFLink IMO. Especially for routes like SYD-CBR, where there is a lot of commerce and government traffic which will gradually insist on these services being offered, even if the flight is only 26-28 minutes airtime.

That said, I don't think it's a massive priority. I agree that the 717's would probably need to be handled first.

Quoting n729pa (Reply 1):

QF directly owns (or leases) all of QFLink's aircraft -- the operation of these is then contracted out to the subsidiaries. All but Cobham (aka National Jet) are wholly owned QF subsidiaries...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos