akelley728
Topic Author

DL Flight Delayed By Massive Swarm Of Bees

Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:11 pm

This is interesting - never heard of a swarm of bees attaching itself to a jetliner!

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2012/...-pittsburgh-international-airport/

PHX787

RE: DL Flight Delayed By Massive Swarm Of Bees

Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:26 pm

Well I was driving once and I saw a huge swarm surrounding a semi truck. If the plane was idle for a long period of time and if there was a spill or something involving the galley stuff, that's prime bee-swarming conditions. I'm no bee expert but I'm assuming something about the airplane attracted the swarm.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

United1

Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:31 pm

Quoting akelley728 (Thread starter):
This is interesting - never heard of a swarm of bees attaching itself to a jetliner!

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2012/...port/

Neat link.... I have seen a pic posted on here that showed a swarm of bees on the wingtip of a US Airbus...I think that was at LAX. I guess it does happen from time to time.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

XT6Wagon

Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:45 pm

They do that to rest up before they keep looking for a new site for a hive. We had a little appletree with a couple cubic feet of bees on it earlier this year.

http://ewitt.smugmug.com/photos/i-wxJX4wc/0/M/i-wxJX4wc-M.jpg

I don't know how true it is, but I've been told you can get paid by bee keepers if they get a swarm off your property since they would then be a productive asset for that keeper. This swarm left after a few hours of not bothering anything.

kaitak

Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:46 pm

My worst nightmare ... hate the little b******s! Glad they're on the outside. I don't know what I'd do if they swarmed inside the cabin!

jetmatt777
Crew

Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:08 pm

An oldie but a goodie:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Joey Collura

Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

DashTrash

Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:46 pm

I watched a large cluster of wasps fly into the open cargo bin of a Dash 8 once. I couldn't tell what they were until I saw two rampies bailing out of the bin and run away, shortly thereafter followed by the recently boarded passengers (not quite a full on evacuation, but damn close), flight attendant, and flight crew. Flight crew bailed with the APU running and airplane powered up. One of the mechanics went in there and shut it down. They ended up towing the airplane to the hole and spraying the hell out of it. It was out of service for several hours.

ulfinator

Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:57 pm

Had a flight out of LAX delayed because of this same reason. The AA "Super 80" that I was going to be taking me from LAX-SAT came in and has a huge boiling blob of bees on it. It was amazing to watch a blob of them fall off the main group, disperse and them join the group. They were are congregated around the green wingtip light. The flight was delayed until they could get some one to come and kill them all because the rampers would work around the aircraft (not that I blame them). Once they were dead there was a circle on the ground about 3 feet in diameter and about 2 or 3 inches deep of bee carcases. When we finally departed the pilot came on the intercom to apologize for the weirdest delay he had ever see. I will see if I can find the pics I took although they aren't great as the were taken with a Canon S100 Digital Elph ala 2001.

Type-Rated

Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:44 pm

I've seen bees take up residence in jetways before. They usually like the rubber rain cap on the end.
It must be swarming season. Last week we had a bunch of them hanging on our oak trees in the yard for a couple of days, then one morning they were all gone.

If they find a hole in your home somewhere they can enter and build a hive between the walls in your house. Periodically you can hear of bee keepers that come out and remove the bees for you safely. Exterminators will just kill them. If you have the bees carried away by a bee keeper you have all that honey for consumption. If you have them exterminated you will contaminate the honey and it will be useless.

Bees are necessary for agricultural reasons so it's best to have them taken away. Bee Keepers in out area charge between $85.00(USD) and $400.00(USD) to remove the bees.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

RussianJet

Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:59 pm

I wouldn't like to 'bee' on that flight. Ok, I'll buzz off now.....
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

seabosdca

Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:19 pm

Quoting DashTrash (Reply 6):
I watched a large cluster of wasps fly into the open cargo bin of a Dash 8 once.

Scary, depending on the wasps. Yellowjackets or hornets are not to be messed with, and can attack with little provocation.

Swarming bees are much less scary, because they usually won't sting unless attacked.

tonyban

Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:08 pm

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 9):

Ok..that 'stung'

Concordski

Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:06 am

Quoting tonyban (Reply 11):

Quoting RussianJet (Reply 9):

Ok..that 'stung'

You better run. "Run away, your firearms are useless against them!"

TWA772LR

Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:08 am

Quoting Concordski (Reply 12):
You better run. "Run away, your firearms are useless against them!"

Ok, Tommy Boy...  

An agent I work with was telling me how she opened a jetway door only to find a floating haze of bees. Naturally she ran out , slammed the door, and half of that area of the terminal was practically evacuated.      
And for my next miracle, I'm gonna turn water into funk!

DocLightning

Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:39 am

Quoting seabosdca (Reply 10):
Swarming bees are much less scary, because they usually won't sting unless attacked.

And I'd take ten honeybee stings before I'd take a single wasp sting. Honeybee stings hurt. "Ow. Ow! OwowowowowoOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!"

A wasp sting leads to a string of profanity which is often repeated, because the sting is repeated.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

ArmitageShanks

Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:04 am

Quoting seabosdca (Reply 10):
Yellowjackets or hornets are not to be messed with, and can attack with little provocation.

Worst stings I've ever had! I'd gladly take a bumblebee sting over a yellowjacket 10 to 1!

RussianJet

Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:56 am

Hornets truly suck. Once stayed in a place in Siberia next to some forest where every single morning I was woken up by hornets buzzing around me. Possibly the worst alarm clock ever.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

JHCRJ700

Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:28 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 14):
A wasp sting leads to a string of profanity which is often repeated, because the sting is repeated.

Just recently I got stung 5 times on the same arm by some wasps. I didn't realize they were on my till my arm was on fire.
Interesting photo! I guess they didn't want to just take off with them on there? I suppose they would just fly off at a certain speed.
RUSH

seattle

Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:46 pm

Quoting XT6Wagon (Reply 3):
They do that to rest up before they keep looking for a new site for a hive.
Quoting XT6Wagon (Reply 3):
I don't know how true it is, but I've been told you can get paid by bee keepers if they get a swarm off your property since they would then be a productive asset for that keeper.

I've been told that same thing too but the reason behind the swarming is due to the queen bee is in the center of the ball of bees. She is the one that stops for rest during the quest for a new home and the worker bees surround her to protect her from birds or whatever might try and eat her. Once all rested they move on. That's why the bee keepers like these swarms because if he can get the queen to stay wherever the bee keeper sees fit then the whole hive will stay also. At least that's what I've been told.

Mainliner

Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:11 pm

Had this happen to me on an Allegiant flight into ROA one day. We approached the gate and stopped, but they never brought the jetway up to the aircraft. Then the captain announced that never in his flying career had he seen something like this, but a large swarm of bees had attached itself to the forward fuselage. We sat onboard for a while as the crew and airport ops tried to figure out what to do. Eventually the fire department was called, and they sent a truck to spray water at the bees.

Not sure if this is a usual practice, or recommended, but it worked at least long enough for us to deplane.
Every flight counts.

SUPRAZACHAIR

Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:11 pm

Got stuck in IND with a half loaded plane when a swarm of bees showed up in the middle of boarding (I fly the Dash 8 so pax boarded via the stairs). Talk about being between a rock and a hard place. Couldn't deplane because of bees, and we couldn't just leave because half the swarm had settled on the pushback tug. Luckily the pax were content to not be out with bees and because (most importantly) they could use their cell phones while we waited for the tactical bee removal team.

Quoting seattle (Reply 18):
I've been told that same thing too but the reason behind the swarming is due to the queen bee is in the center of the ball of bees. She is the one that stops for rest during the quest for a new home and the worker bees surround her to protect her from birds or whatever might try and eat her. Once all rested they move on. That's why the bee keepers like these swarms because if he can get the queen to stay wherever the bee keeper sees fit then the whole hive will stay also. At least that's what I've been told.

We have a captain who is a beekeeper as a hobby and this is what he told me when I told him the story. He was furious when I told him that the rampers came and sprayed the bees. "Do you realize how much money that was worth?" Haha

copter808

Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:57 pm

Quoting JHCRJ700 (Reply 17):
I guess they didn't want to just take off with them on there? I suppose they would just fly off at a certain speed.

Actually, it would not be legal to take off with them there. Might be reasonable to taxi to the active and have someone check to see if they were still there though. I suspect they might be difficult to see from the cockpit.

european742

Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:33 pm

I know of 3 incidents involving bees near me:

A European Air Charter 737-200 took off from Bournemouth bound for Faro and flew into a swarm of bees. Later into the flight there were surges in the right engine and the aircraft returned to Bournemouth and a replacement was flown in to take the passengers out to Faro 11 hours later!!

Another occasion I was working at Southampton airport when a swarm of bees settled on the belt loader at the head of one of the stands when an inbound flight was arriving on that stand. We disembarked the passengers using the rear door only and onto a bus. One of the supervisors was brave enough to drive the belt loader to the other end of the airport away from the terminal area.

The other was a member of Flybe cabin crew, got to her car after her flight and it was covered in bees, you couldn't even see the car and because it was an endangered species they were not allowed to be killed, not sure what happened in the end.

HAWK21M

Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:44 am

Whats the reason for the bees choosing this location or is it just random.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos