Airport
Topic Author

Allegiant To Fly HNL-BOI/GEG, BOI-LAS

Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:19 pm

Announcement coming shortly. Currently appears on their route map.

http://www.allegiantair.com/aaRouteMapStatic.php

There might be more new routes, but I haven't found any so far.

Aloha717200

RE: Allegiant To Fly HNL-BOI/GEG, BOI-LAS

Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:23 pm

Freaking awesome!

Can't wait for the HNL-IDA service to start.   

stlgph

Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:33 pm

When it comes to route announcements, expect a "busy" month for Allegiant.

More's on the way, but keep an eye on the route map.

Boise to Las Vegas begins Oct 26
Boise to Honolulu begins Feb 10
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

AWACSooner

Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:41 pm

BOI-LAS? Usually, they don't like to compete with WN on routes. I don't see how this will work for them.

flyb

Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:55 pm

I've rumours here in Canada that we might see them start scheduled service to YYC and maybe YEG. Any others hearing this? They already do charters to LAS.

mli717fan

Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:26 pm

Quoting AWACSooner (Reply 3):
BOI-LAS? Usually, they don't like to compete with WN on routes. I don't see how this will work for them.

Lower fares than WN, and they probably need the flight to get the 757 to BOI for the HNL flight. You are correct though, it is odd that they are picking a route that is competitive.

LV

Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:31 pm

My guess is that G4 feels like it can fill a niche market on this route that WN no longer focuses on (aka the low yielding budget travel, NK and G4 bread and butter customer). Additionally, it may feel that the cost of repositioning aircraft and crews along with the spreading out the fixed costs of operating a station make it worth giving this route a shot. I am guessing starting LAS before HNL is to give the company a chance to establish it's identity in the market with the LAS flights before going after HNL.

stlgph

Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:40 pm

Allegiant will fly Las Vegas/Boise on Mondays/Fridays
Depart Las Vegas 2:40 p.m. arrive Boise 5:25 p.m.
Depart Boise 6:05 p.m. arrive Las Vegas 6:45 p.m.

For what it's worth Boise/Las Vegas is currently not bookable after middle of January on the Allegiant website.

Boise/Honolulu will fly inbound Saturdays, outbound Sundays
Depart Boise 8:55a arrive Honolulu 11:15a
Depart Honolulu 11:45 a.m. arrive Boise 9:35 p.m.

enilria

Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:44 pm

Quoting stlgph (Reply 2):

When it comes to route announcements, expect a "busy" month for Allegiant.

Great for BOI/GEG who have been losing capacity lately. I hope they work.

BOI-LAS? Usually, they don't like to compete with WN on routes.

G4 is so good at selling packages to Vegas that I'm not sure it really competes with WN. WN Vacations is pretty lame except the rare occasion when they have a big deal.

93Sierra

Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:48 pm

With all the fun at aza, why not add a hnl turn!

iowaman

Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:56 pm

Quoting stlgph (Reply 7):
For what it's worth Boise/Las Vegas is currently not bookable after middle of January on the Allegiant website.

Interesting.

Southwest has two non-stops daily on this route and has flown it for years. It looks like they run an 83% load factor, according to flightaware (not sure how up to date this is) and have a median fare of $130 o/w.

I doubt we'll see any type of response since it's only 2x weekly, but sooner or later Southwest is going to have to devote more time to fighting off ULCC's such as NK and G4. The addition of flights out of PVD two days after B6 shows they are watching competitiors in their established stations they "care" about (DTW and CLE for example don't get much "luv" these days).

Airport
Topic Author

Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:25 pm

Boise/Spokane to Hawaii do not surprise me at all. They seemed like natural fits for Allegiant's model, and if anything I was surprised they weren't mentioned more often during route speculation. It does surprise me quite a bit that they went for Boise to Las Vegas. I knew a lot of folks who drove down to Twin Falls from Boise for the Vegas flights, but I don't have any raw data to know whether that was actually a factor.

I really wonder how WN will react. They've lost a bit of ground to AS/QX and DL in BOI and GEG, and if G4 successfully undercuts them I wonder if there's a point where they'll just call it quits and back out of BOI and GEG altogether, especially considering that there could be better opportunities elsewhere back East and potentially in Hawaii/International.

FATFlyer

Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:01 pm

G4 has 2 more 757s entering service in the first quarter of 2013. Expect a few more route announcements to use them.

BOI and GEG to HNL do not surprise me at all. They have also been among the larger unserved nonstop markets west of the Rockies to Hawaii.

When looking at the largest MSA sources of 2011 visitors to Hawaii, Allegiant continues to tap the top 50 on the list. So far they have now added (ranking by number of MSA residents to Hawaii in 2011):
25. SPOKANE - 19,733
29. STOCKTON-LODI - 18,162
31. FRESNO - 17,798
32. SANTA BARBARA-SANTA MARIA-LOMPOC - 17,470
33. BOISE CITY - 17,346
37. BELLINGHAM - 15,656
38. EUGENE-SPRINGFIELD - 15,375
47. MONTEREY-SALINAS - 13,107
http://www.hawaiitourismauthority.or...thly-visitors/State%20by%20MSA.xls

Based on the numbers, there remain only a few other unserved Top 50 Hawaii sources west of the Rockies that could be possible future announcements by Allegiant for Hawaii flights:
26. TUCSON - 19,637
28. PROVO-OREM - 18,370
34. COLORADO SPRINGS - 15,985
35. RENO - 15,952
40. ALBUQUERQUE - 14,698
49. SAN LUIS OBISPO-ATASCADERO-PASO ROBLES - 12,093
50. BAKERSFIELD - 11,777

Of course, not all may be viable for G4 like San Luis Obispo (runway too short and very close to the SMX-HNL flights). But this is the remaining group in the Top 50 to consider.

Allegiant is also likely to start adding some cities to OGG besides BLI. It will be interesting to watch the markets develop.

Quoting stlgph (Reply 7):

Allegiant's booking window has been only open until Jan 15 for all routes, it currently states that on the website. That window should be extended shortly with the new announcements.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

stlgph

Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:08 pm

Spokane begins Feb 9.

Like Boise, there's an overnight before headed to Hawaii.

Departs Honolulu 10:00 a.m. Fridays arriving Spokane 7:00 p.m.

Departs Spokane 7:00 a.m. Saturdays arriving Honolulu 11:30 a.m.

Quoting FATFlyer (Reply 12):
Allegiant's booking window has been only open until Jan 15 for all routes, it currently states that on the website. That window should be extended shortly with the new announcements.

I've found some cities you can click here and there and find the booking window open for some city pairs.

Booking is definitely available for new Hawaii announcements.

USAIRWAYS321

Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:26 pm

It will definitely be nice to have a 757 show up in BOI. Looking forward to this service.

alexinwa

Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:20 pm

Yay for GEG and BOI. No doubt they will both do great with the packages compared to what they have to choose from now. The 757 will be nice to see in both places. Been years since GEG saw a pax 757. NW was the last to MSP.
You mad Bro???

luv2fly

Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:30 pm

Quoting iowaman (Reply 10):
I doubt we'll see any type of response since it's only 2x weekly, but sooner or later Southwest is going to have to devote more time to fighting off ULCC's such as NK and G4. The addition of flights out of PVD two days after B6 shows they are watching competitiors in their established stations they "care" about (DTW and CLE for example don't get much "luv" these days).

The folks that fly NK and G4 really have one thing in mind and that is the lowest fare, now if they actually compare is two different things. NK and G4 are always going to appear way lower, though once they get through nickle and dimming you to death then let's talk. Also if G4 or NK have a mechanical then you really are screwed where as WN has options.
You can cut the irony with a knife

Airport
Topic Author

Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:02 pm

Quoting alexinwa (Reply 15):
Yay for GEG and BOI. No doubt they will both do great with the packages compared to what they have to choose from now. The 757 will be nice to see in both places. Been years since GEG saw a pax 757. NW was the last to MSP.

DL has 3x daily 757s on GEG-MSP and 1x daily 757 on BOI-SLC this summer.

tallguy14

Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:27 am

True that. I saw a DL 757 taxiing out around 7am on Sunday.

AirframeAS

Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:31 am

I wonder what kind of AS retaliation would ensue...... Maybe they'll start GEG-HNL plus bonus miles?
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

BoeingGuy

Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:41 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 19):
I wonder what kind of AS retaliation would ensue...... Maybe they'll start GEG-HNL plus bonus miles?

I would have liked to have seen AS get into the smaller markets to Hawaii. However, others have posted that it's not in their business model to serve markets like this, less than daily. I too would like to have seen AS try stuff like FAT-HNL; BOI-EUG-HNL; GEG-PSC-HNL. Not only are most of these markets likely not able to support more than a few days a week, but I think stuff like GEG-HNL starts to push the range limits of the 738s.

My guess is that AS will continue to compete hard and successfully in ANC, BLI, SEA, PDX, SMF, SJC, OAK and SAN to Hawaii but will cede the other stuff to G4. It appears that AS is committed to defending BLI though.

ANA787

Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:05 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 19):

Will be interesting to see if AS responds. Noticed that AS all of a sudden is upping PDX-GEG to 7x daily starting in January...is this a possible retaliation to create easy connections to PDX-LIH/HNL/OGG/KOA flights? From a geographic perspective it makes more sense to connect via PDX rather than SEA when enroute to Hawaii from GEG.

wedgetail737

Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:05 am

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 20):
I would have liked to have seen AS get into the smaller markets to Hawaii. However, others have posted that it's not in their business model to serve markets like this, less than daily. I too would like to have seen AS try stuff like FAT-HNL; BOI-EUG-HNL; GEG-PSC-HNL. Not only are most of these markets likely not able to support more than a few days a week, but I think stuff like GEG-HNL starts to push the range limits of the 738s.

My guess is that AS will continue to compete hard and successfully in ANC, BLI, SEA, PDX, SMF, SJC, OAK and SAN to Hawaii but will cede the other stuff to G4. It appears that AS is committed to defending BLI though.

I scoff at those that think less-than-daily service routes are not in Alaska's business model. They have several of those. One most notably is the upcoming BLI-OGG service. Another is the existing SMF-GDL route.

There probably not very high on their list, but I can see some tagged Hawaii service like BOI-GEG-HNL, GEG-SEA-OGG, BOI-PDX-HNL...maybe even something like BIL-SEA-HNL. They could do an ex-AQ route like RNO-SAN-OGG. Who knows in this industry.

FATFlyer

Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:35 am

It will be interesting to see if and how Alaska reacts.

I was just reading this article a few days ago that was talking about AS and Hawaii:
http://centreforaviation.com/analysi...to-hawaii-are-largely-filled-79404
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

RWA380

Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:02 am

Quoting MLI717fan (Reply 5):
Lower fares than WN, and they probably need the flight to get the 757 to BOI for the HNL flight

Always remember, G4's 757's, crews are based in HNL, home base is HNL and all routes spoke out of there, the 757 will likely not be routed via LAS to get to BOI.

Quoting wedgetail737 (Reply 22):
There probably not very high on their list, but I can see some tagged Hawaii service like BOI-GEG-HNL, GEG-SEA-OGG, BOI-PDX-HNL...maybe even something like BIL-SEA-HNL. They could do an ex-AQ route like RNO-SAN-OGG. Who knows in this industry.

IMHO, AS is quite ok with connecting passengers off QX Q400's in SEA and PDX, but I've thought how cool some of these kind of tags would be. bottom line is, tags on a 738 would be expensive to operate, I'd expect QX to keep flying GEG-SEA, BOI-PDX, BIL-SEA.

IMHO, GEG and BOI are smart market moves by G4, I would not be surprised if MFR ends up getting a 2x weekly HNL flights as well

[Edited 2012-08-08 02:53:42]
Next Flights: PDX-HNL-OGG-LIH-PDX On AS, WP & HA

mli717fan

Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:22 pm

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 24):

Always remember, G4's 757's, crews are based in HNL, home base is HNL and all routes spoke out of there, the 757 will likely not be routed via LAS to get to BOI.

For some reason I thought I read that they were not based in Hawaii yet, and that they were currently routed from LAS.

Thanks for the clarification.

hiflyeras

Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:45 pm

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 24):
IMHO, AS is quite ok with connecting passengers off QX Q400's in SEA and PDX, but I've thought how cool some of these kind of tags would be. bottom line is, tags on a 738 would be expensive to operate, I'd expect QX to keep flying GEG-SEA, BOI-PDX, BIL-SEA.

I think as well that AS is quite content with serving Hawaii out of major cities and providing feed via QX to those flights out of SEA and PDX. Even SAN is becoming a bit of a mini-hub for AS with the new QX flying out of there. AS has many loyal customers due to their mileage program...I don't see too many GEG customers moving over to G4 when they'll be missing out on the thousands of miles they'd be earning on AS. BOI is another story though...I'm sure that flight will do quite well. AS should offer same-plane BOI-SEA-HNL/OGG service but it's probably too late now.

SANFan

Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:02 pm

Quoting FATFlyer (Reply 23):
I was just reading this article a few days ago that was talking about AS and Hawaii:
http://centreforaviation.com/analysi...79404

Great read, thanks for the link 'Flyer.

Quoting Hiflyeras (Reply 26):
Even SAN is becoming a bit of a mini-hub for AS with the new QX flying out of there. ... I don't see too many GEG customers moving over to G4 when they'll be missing out on the thousands of miles they'd be earning on AS. BOI is another story though...I'm sure that flight will do quite well. AS should offer same-plane BOI-SEA-HNL/OGG service but it's probably too late now

Hmmm, maybe AS should consider TUS-SAN-HNL before G4 jumps into that southern AZ market with a nonstop to HI...  

I wonder, though, how thin AS's ETOPS fleet is spread? Would it upset the fleet utilization a lot to do tag-ons like PDX-BOI, SJC-FAT, or ABQ-SAN? Seems like it might tie up those precious Chester-with-a-lei a/c and take away from the real revenue-producing routes -- the Pacific Coast gateways to The Islands.

bb

stlgph

Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:49 pm

Quoting MLI717fan (Reply 25):
For some reason I thought I read that they were not based in Hawaii yet, and that they were currently routed from LAS.

Thanks for the clarification.

They are currently routed from Las Vegas.

The Honolulu base is opening later.

RWA380

Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:01 am

Quoting SANFan (Reply 27):

I wonder, though, how thin AS's ETOPS fleet is spread? Would it upset the fleet utilization a lot to do tag-ons like PDX-BOI, SJC-FAT, or ABQ-SAN? Seems like it might tie up those precious Chester-with-a-lei a/c and take away from the real revenue-producing routes -- the Pacific Coast gateways to The Islands.

I would expect those tag routes to be expensive and cost prohibitive, but cool to think about non the less. AS will connect passengers in SEA/PDX/SAN to QX, a recipe that is working really well for them, and making lots of money, don't mess with that.

RWA380

Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:18 am

Quoting SANFan (Reply 27):
Hmmm, maybe AS should consider TUS-SAN-HNL before G4 jumps into that southern AZ market with a nonstop to HI...

I think TUS may be a good 2-3 x weekly route to HNL on G4, if AS does anything from TUS IMO, it will be TUS-SAN with Q400's. I speculate places like PSP, TUS, RNO, MFR could all be good routes for G4 to the Islands.