maddogjt8d

Alaska "Plane Note" Not Appropriate

Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:26 pm

http://www.chron.com/news/article/Al...g-note-not-appropriate-3769223.php

Anyone have more information/details about this incident? I have no doubt that the note was written with good intentions so as not to alarm pax who could see the repair to the flap from their window. Curious as to people's thoughts on this.

ikramerica

RE: Alaska "Plane Note" Not Appropriate

Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:30 pm

The missing bit that AS should have added was:

Replace the word "we" with "Alaska Air" and add "It is safe." or something similar at the end.

But it was a note for the next AS ground crew to be clear that they already know, not for the pax. Had they written it on the bottom side, maybe no pax would have noticed at all?
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

hiflyeras

Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:45 pm

Alaska made a statement today that whoever wrote this was not following established proceedure. I imagine they'll get a good tongue-lashing. Not very smart.

usdcaguy

Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:13 am

Friggin' hilarious. People freak out over the simplest of things. Next thing you know, a flight attendant will put a sticky on a Kosher meal saying, "We know about this" and the entire plane will expect to be blown to bits.

futureualpilot

Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:19 am

I find it amusing, it is nice to see a sense of humor these days but as hair triggered as people are, especially with aviation, it wasn't smart.
Life is better when you surf.

AirframeAS

Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:26 am

Any pics? Where is that "This Thread Is Worthless Without Pics" icon?  
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

tb727

Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:32 am

Maybe if they put a little smiley face on it people would have looked at it differently.

We know about this     

See, I think that is much better!
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

wn676

Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:52 am

Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.

spiritair97

Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:45 am

Quoting wn676 (Reply 7):

Ooooh! I thought a passenger wrote a note and gave to a flight attendant. I was wondering why it wasn't just tossed out and disregarded. This would maybe make me a bit unsettled.

MaverickM11

Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:59 am

I've seen this on a few other 737 NGs--what exactly is going on here? What was cut out of the flap and why?
E pur si muove -Galileo

spiritair97

Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:05 am

I forgot to ask, just out of curiosity, did the aircraft in question have blended winglets fitted on it's wings?

redtag501

Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:17 am

Better to have left alone and put out a NOTAMs to all crew assigned to the aircraft to make an appropriate announcement to passengers or discreetly deal with individual questions and comments.

fr8mech

Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:25 am

Quoting spiritair97 (Reply 8):
I've seen this on a few other 737 NGs--what exactly is going on here? What was cut out of the flap and why?

I don't know much about the NG, but I can make a reasonable guess. It appears that this area is in the exhaust path of the right engine (or is #2 on the NG?). An engine so low to the ground would have a tendency to pick things up and send them through the cold stream. The damage could be from this FOD hitting the surface. What you see here is a result of the interim repair to this surface. Just a guess. Or, someone dropped the flap on a ladder.

And, I doubt that this message is to the ground crew or the flight crew. The crews should already have this information in hand when they get to the aircraft.

This note is a public service announcement to the passengers that see this repair and think the aircraft is falling apart.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

AirframeAS

Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:27 am

Does anyone know the tail number to this aircraft?
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

tdscanuck

Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:29 am

Quoting MaddogJT8D (Thread starter):
Curious as to people's thoughts on this.

I think it's great. It's perfectly safe, it lets the next ground crew know that they don't need to report it (again), and it should quell some passenger questions and concerns.

This would maybe make me a bit unsettled.

How come? Wouldn't seeing apparent flap damage and not knowing if the airline knew about it be more unsettling?

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 9):

They cut the corner off and potted (filled) the edge; standard temporary repair for honeycomb structures that have damage on a corner. Most likely ramp rash but, as others noted, could be FOD damage. It will fly like that until they get a chance to do a permanent repair or replace the flap.

Tom.

CZ346

Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:41 am

Quoting wn676 (Reply 7):

Oh my lord I would have been carried away from the plane from laughter. That mechanic must have a big brass set on him... IMHO that does NOT look like its directed "towards the pilots"

usair330

Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:54 am

LMAO I'm expecting to see a report of some passengers that were passing a note around. But this is hilarious. I'm Sure the mechanic thought he was doing a good thing but obviously it got to deep.

fr8mech

Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:07 am

Quoting usair330 (Reply 16):
I'm Sure the mechanic thought he was doing a good thing but obviously it got to deep.

Thinking about it a little more, the mechanic probably put it there at the request of some flight crew. That way the passengers don't bother the flight crew with questions about a 'thing on the wing missing'.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

woodsboy

Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:27 am

Years ago I was riding a DL L-1011 from SLC to ATL, I was seated so that the leading edge of the left wing was right outside my window. There were 6 long screws in varrying degrees of "unscrewed" (??) along a seam just inboard of the leading edge slat. One had to be protruding 4-6 inches out of its hole with the others not sticking out that much but certainly enough! I wish there had been a note telling me that they knew about that!!!

XT6Wagon

Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:32 am

Next time, put a "thanks" after it so it can't seem hostile.

Also a scribble or something like someone signed/initialed it would help re-assure people too, as that makes it seem more "official". Not suggesting the use of an actual signature or intial though as its clearly not proper FAA paperwork.

garpd

Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:47 am

Oh dear.
Some folks here and the passenger who got freaked out really have had a sense-of-humour-ectomy at some point!

I'd have laughed my ass off at this. I wanna give that mech a beer!
arpdesign.wordpress.com

OB1504

Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:14 am

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 1):
Replace the word "we" with "Alaska Air" and add "It is safe." or something similar at the end.

Agreed. I can't blame the passengers for thinking this might have meant something along the lines of: "Your plane is going to crash, but it's okay because we already know it's going to, so the search and rescue teams will be in position."

I definitely would've brought it to the cabin crew's attention just to make sure everything was fine.

Tbone354

Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:40 am

Perhaps the airlines should equip all passenger seats with a large red panic button? This could trigger a device to release a shot glass full of vodka which the passenger could consume and thereby calm some freaking exposed nerves. Just a thought. Any insignificant little thing is a crisis these days, especially where aviation is concerned. Beam me up.

pvjin

Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:26 am

LOL, to me just knowing that those maintenance people know that this small piece of wing is missing and have verified that it doesn't cause any trouble during flight would be just calming. Of course they could have written that note a bit different way, but oh well, its better than not writing it at all no matter what Alaska says.
"Optimism is the madness of insisting that all is well when we are miserable." - Voltaire

Oykie

Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:40 am

There seem to be a bit of a over-reaction on this note. Even if it is not a standard procedure. There have been pictures on A.net showing wings in much worse condition than this. I once flew on an ATR and one of the wings panels was not fasten on one side. Into the fuselage. It vibrated a lot in the air, but even if the panel would have fallen of the only risk would be that it would hit the tail. The flight attendant got a bit nervous when I told her about the loose panel, and she did notify the captain. The captain continued to the destination. I would actually have like it better if there was a note saying that the wing panel was not fasten and that this was not a mistake. However on my ATR flight, I believe that this was a mistake.
Dream no small dream; it lacks magic. Dream large, then go make that dream real - Donald Douglas

BC77008

Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:48 am

Well I'm just so thankful that everyone is alright and made it out of the plane safely!!!
"He waited his whole damn life to take that flight. And as the plane crashed down he thought 'Well isn't this nice...'"

flybynight

Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:58 pm

It is one thing for people on this website (who are aiviation buffs) to think a note like this is OK. I too would have understood it.
But take your average passenger who is probably a little nervous about flying to begin with, a note like that was pretty damn stupid.
C'mon, use some freaking common sense Mr/Ms Mechanic.

[Edited 2012-08-08 09:42:31]
Heia Norge!

United787

Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:09 pm

I think it is hilarious and I probably wouldn't have been concerned because it is obvious that the cut was intentional due to the clean nature of shape.

That said, I would estimate that a majority of pax have some level of fear of flying (including myself) and this would be concerning to a lot of them and pants wetting for some of them. A fear of flying may seem irrational to a lot of A-Netters but it is very real. We may understand how planes fly and how safe they are statistically...but even I can't get my mind completely around the thought of hundreds of people jammed in aluminum tubes flying at 500 miles per hour at 40,000 feet above earth!

For that reason the note is inappropriate (although obviously well intentioned). It could have been handled in a different way...maybe Alaska should have an official sticker that it can place on the aircraft for this type of interim repair.

ikramerica

Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:12 pm

Quoting BC77008 (Reply 25):
Well I'm just so thankful that everyone is alright and made it out of the plane safely!!!

I know. It was touch and go there for a while...

Quoting flybynight (Reply 26):
But take your average passenger who is probably a little nervous about flying to begin with, a note like that was pretty damn stupid.

No doubt. The way it was worded could have been taken as a saboteur's threat by someone afraid of flying. Professor Dick Soloman or the Priceline Negotiator to name two candidates...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

anonms

Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:17 pm

The cut is really disconcerting, but I just.... love their wording. I would've had a helluva giggle fit if I saw that in-flight.
This is my signature.

NorthstarBoy

Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:30 pm

When i see things like this it makes me honestly wonder sometimes why flight crews now-a-days are so inhibited about making announcements over the PA system. They don't give their names, sometimes they don't say anything at all other than "Flight attendants prepare for departure." Honestly, I can remember a day, not too many years ago, when something that might be considered to be an obvious defect to the aircraft from a passenger's point of view would have been met with something like:

"Well folks, this is your captain speaking, some of you sitting on the right side of the airplane may notice what appears to be damage to the wing. Let me reassure you that maintenance is well aware of the situation and has informed us that this blemish to the beauty of our 737 has no effect on the safety or flying capability of the airplane. We here at Alaska Airlines do our best to ensure that every one of your flying experiences with us is 100 percent safe and if our maintenance department thought that this blemish wasn't safe, they'd have gotten us a new airplane. Once again, it's nothing to worry about so sit back, relax and enjoy and flight."

Now-a-days it seems like they don't say anything, passengers get freaked out over something that's probably minor, they complain about it in social media and the PR department has to issue a statement. Just save everything the headache, stress, and bandwidth, and make an announcement.
Yes, I'd like to see airbus go under so Boeing can have their customers!

flybynight

Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:44 pm

Quoting United787 (Reply 27):
I think it is hilarious and I probably wouldn't have been concerned because it is obvious that the cut was intentional due to the clean nature of shape.

That said, I would estimate that a majority of pax have some level of fear of flying (including myself) and this would be concerning to a lot of them and pants wetting for some of them. A fear of flying may seem irrational to a lot of A-Netters but it is very real. We may understand how planes fly and how safe they are statistically...but even I can't get my mind completely around the thought of hundreds of people jammed in aluminum tubes flying at 500 miles per hour at 40,000 feet above earth!

For that reason the note is inappropriate (although obviously well intentioned). It could have been handled in a different way...maybe Alaska should have an official sticker that it can place on the aircraft for this type of interim repair

Very well said...and a smart solution.
Heia Norge!

cotparampguy

Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:46 pm

Was it for the passengers though? It seems like something they'd put there so it's not reported everytime someone does a walkaround after the plane has landed. Although our mechanics put a number code by the damage, but I guess that works just as well.

yeelep

Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:41 pm

Quoting United787 (Reply 27):
maybe Alaska should have an official sticker that it can place on the aircraft for this type of interim repair.
Quoting cotparampguy (Reply 32):
Although our mechanics put a number code by the damage, but I guess that works just as well.

Both of your suggestions are exactly what is supposed to be adjacent to the damage. A yellow dot indicates damage that is known and has been dis-positioned. If that is insufficient, the logpage or engineering number can be written beside it.

757gb

Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:19 pm

Quoting tdscanuck (Reply 14):
This would maybe make me a bit unsettled.

How come? Wouldn't seeing apparent flap damage and not knowing if the airline knew about it be more unsettling?

I absolutely agree, but the thing is that for many people who wouldn't even have noticed the note served to catch their attention to the fact that there was something "wrong" with their aircraft. Most people who are not familiar with aviation think that the airplane is either working fine or broken. They have no idea about MEL, go/no go failures or in general the fact that no airplane is ever 100% OK. It will always have something to be fixed somewhere.

So all of a sudden they look and see A PART OF THEIR WING MISSING!!! HOW IRRESPONSIBLE CAN THE AIRLINE BE TO FLY THE AIRPLANE IN SUCH CONDITIONS!!!???

Yes, it makes me laugh too, but it is what it is...
God is The Alpha and The Omega. We come from God. We go towards God. What an Amazing Journey...

HAWK21M

Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:38 pm

Whats with the dusty look on the aft flap.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

OB1504

Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:44 pm

Quoting Tbone354 (Reply 22):
Any insignificant little thing is a crisis these days, especially where aviation is concerned.

Isn't that the whole point of a safety culture?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos