haggisman
Topic Author

Mars Water Bomber Vandalized On Sunday

Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:00 am

wow - the mind boggles thinking about the potential outcome had the damage been more severe. Wonder if alcohol was involved with these louts?

http://www2.canada.com/nanaimodailyn...28d99b-0548-4dfa-ab27-e71743a68071

Scotty
e pluribus Scotsman

YVRLTN

RE: Mars Water Bomber Vandalized On Sunday

Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:39 am

What leads people to do some things...

Not to let off these losers in any way, but the question does need to be asked: if the crew noticed after they landed, why didnt they notice in their pre-flight walk around? Maybe there was some slightly abnormal flight characteristics the article doesnt mention.

Glad there was no bad outcome, that old girl is one amazing machine when you see her up close and personal.
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

BreninTW

Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:10 am

There's something amiss here -- according to the article, the police were called and told that there were people actually climbing on the aircraft, yet it flew the following day before they noticed a foot-sized hole in the tail?

Either the police didn't inform the operators of the call, or someone was very remiss in their pre-flight inspection.

HorizonGirl

Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:16 am

Unbelievable! I can't imagine what would possibly lead someone to do something so horrible to such a priceless aircraft. Though what I find to be the most shocking, is that the plane apparently flew damaged without them noticing.

We are so very lucky that only the plane was hurt!

Devon
Flying high on the Wings of the Great Northwest!

MD-90

Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:02 am

Not so easy to do a walk around on an enormous seaplane. They're only beached for maintenance.

FI642

Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:42 pm

I hope when the service life of these incredible birds is over, that one is preserved. No Martin M-130's exist.
There is a grocery store chain in Baltimore named after these aircraft, one of their stores has a bronze plaque
Telling the story.
737MAX, Cool Planes for the Worlds Coolest Airline.

B737900

Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:16 pm

I first learned of the Mars water bomber after watching "Flying Boats" a few months ago. It is a 3 disc set from NetFlix and is a must see for A.netters! The segment told about 2 Mars water bombers but the article mentions just the one. Are there still two stationed at Lake Sproat? We were visiting Vancover Island last month and wanted to drive up and see them but they were in California water-bombing fires down there. Yeah, they are fantastic aircraft.

[Edited 2012-08-08 11:24:46]
Sounds like a Beaver on floats..........we're saved!!

HorizonGirl

Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:34 pm

Quoting B737900 (Reply 6):

I first learned of the Mars water bomber after watching "Flying Boats" a few months ago. It is a 3 disc set from NetFlix and is a must see for A.netters!

Saw this recently, and I absolutely agree!

And I am next to certain that this aircraft will be preserved.

I went to see them a couple of times up in Sproat Lake. Watching them drop water is jaw-dropping!!

Devon
Flying high on the Wings of the Great Northwest!

Revelation

Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:34 pm

Something also doesn't make sense: A hole caused by a foot detected on Sunday, but damage repaired on Monday, with a repair bill of $25k? Is someone goosing the insurance company?
Inspiration, move me brightly! Light the song with sense and color.
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
Faced with mysteries dark and vast, statements just seem vain at last.
Some rise, some fall, some climb, to get to Terrapin!

railker

Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:07 am

IIRC from the local news broadcast I heard, it was the flight characteristics that alerted them to something being off, at which point they landed and looked for the damage.

Wouldn't be surprised if Alcohol was involved, though. Down lower on the Island a year or two back, someone drove their pickup truck onto one of the E&N Railway bridges that spans one of the valleys there and set it on fire, caused major damage to the bridge ties and all that. Wonder what's in people's heads sometimes.

Or rather, what isn't ...

kanban

Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:06 pm

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 1):
why didnt they notice in their pre-flight walk around?

A little difficult when moored in the bay, although they do a partial inspection by walking the upper surfaces.. I think there is a door in the fin for that purpose.

Quoting Revelation (Reply 8):
a repair bill of $25k? Is someone goosing the insurance company?

Could they have removed and replaced the damaged unit? and are now repairing it... since it's forest fire season, I doubt they would keep the plane grounded.

robsaw

Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:38 pm

Quoting kanban (Reply 10):
Quoting Revelation (Reply 8):
a repair bill of $25k? Is someone goosing the insurance company?

Could they have removed and replaced the damaged unit? and are now repairing it... since it's forest fire season, I doubt they would keep the plane grounded.

The Province newspaper quotes the company spokesperson:

"He estimated the damage, along with the penalty for not being available, as totalling $25,000."

I also understand the initial repair may be temporary with a larger panel to be replaced when time permits.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos