SA7700
Topic Author

New Frontier/Republic Thread Part 37

Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:33 pm

The previous thread has become quite long and difficult to manage for some users. Please feel free to add your contributions to the new thread.

Part 36 can be found here: New Frontier/Republic Thread Part 36

Please continue to enjoy the website!  

Rgds

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

rampart

RE: New Frontier/Republic Thread Part 37

Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:39 pm

Just missed the cutoff...

From the just-closed thread:
Quoting stlgph (Reply 215):
Trenton, NJ now appears on the route map.

Holy cow! That's outta nowhere. Fairly close to ABE at that, not to mention PHL, then again they dropped EWR (via Midwest). Would like them to connect the dot to DEN if possible.

Quoting nkops (Reply 216):
TSA will have to set up shop at TTN now as I believe there is no sked service there

There was scheduled service as recent as a few years ago, I think. There is a regular airline terminal, though small. TTN served as one of Shuttle America's first cities and of course, it was HQ for Eastwind, but that was prior to 2001.

-Rampart

gustywinds

Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:42 pm

Here is the schedule. It looks like it will operate twice a week on Monday and Friday starting on November 16.

FLIGHT DATE SEGMENT DPTR ARVL MLS EQP ELPD MILES SM
1 F9 316 16NOV MCO TTN 725A 950A 319 2.25 890 N
2 F9 317 16NOV TTN MCO 1030A 105P 319 2.35 890 N

nkops

Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:54 pm

In the past when TTN had service, it was usually ACY agents that went to TTN for screening... They did this in ILG also

I wonder if the screening equip is still there though
:evil:

floridaflyboy

Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:07 pm

With the TTN service, this puts F9 at 38 flights per week this winter at MCO. Too bad it looks like DSM isn't coming back. But at least OMA got upgraded to the Airbus.
Good goes around!

gustywinds

Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:34 pm

F9's Facebok post said destinations in 6 states, 2 states being new to F9. So, it is possible we might only see one more announcement from F9 this week.

We are up to 5 states now (Colorado, Arizona, North Carolina, Florida and New Jersey). My fingers were crossed for CRW but that seems unlikely since F9 doesn't serve West Virginia now and North Carolina and New Jersey are the 2 states that F9 will be new to. Hopefully, I'll be surprised with a few more route announcements this week, but it appears we might only get one more. COS - LAS maybe?

GentFromAlaska

Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:35 pm

TTN to a certain extent also gives residents of the State of Delaware another option besides PHL to the south and EWR to the north. For now Delaware remains shutout as the only state without regularly scheduled commercial aviation service. If memory serves me Trenton is also in close proximity to the Fort Dix Army base and McGuire AFB.

Because F9 serves EWR; according to my count leaves 2 existing routes/states and one new state. The second new state if the pattern continues should be announced tomorrow; existing-new-existing-new? In true A-net fashion I had a weird dream/though last night of GPT as the other new market and Mississippi would be a new State. GPT sits roughly halfway between MSY and MOB with a catchment area of three states.

Not in this round of announcements; I was thinking about MOB-CUN for the Apple side. CUN is almost a straight shot due south of MOB. Apple of course would most likely be the primary driver in that sort of route announcement. A due south route should take the aircraft off the west bank of Cuba. To my knowledge all U.S. aviation has to avoid Cuban airspace without clearance. The new Airbus facility when it comes on line might be a driver for MOB.
Man can be taken from Alaska. Alaska can never be taken from the man.

GentFromAlaska

Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:39 pm

Quoting nkops (Reply 3):
We are up to 5 states now (Colorado, Arizona, North Carolina, Florida and New Jersey)

I'm not counting it that way. I understood the four existing markets solely on the destination side not the origin side. Time will tell.

sdoyon

Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:44 pm

Quoting GentFromAlaska (Reply 6):
Because F9 serves EWR; according to my count leaves 2 existing routes/states and one new state.

F9 no longer serves EWR, at least according to their route map. I believe they pulled service earlier this year. I guess this means New Jersey is the 2nd new state?

GentFromAlaska

Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Quoting sdoyon (Reply 8):
F9 no longer serves EWR, at least according to their route map

My bad. As pixels go I assumed/understood that dot on the route map to be EWR. When in fact if you point at it, it is LGA. It does appear to be on the NJ side and about where EWR would be. http://www.frontierairlines.com/plan-book/routes-schedules/route-map.

n917me

Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

I wish they would serve my old state of Delaware. I believe DL and Skybus served Wilmington for a very short time. Really Wilmington is the only airport in.DE that could support scheduled service, the only other place would be Dover AFB, which would.be great for all those in lower DE and the Maryland shore.

GentFromAlaska

Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:47 pm

Quoting GentFromAlaska (Reply 7):

I went back and re-read the Facebook page; it states "Next week we’ll announce new routes with destinations in six states - two of which are NEW"

The sea lawyer in me interpreted destinations" to be six additional destinations; four in existing States and two in new States. The origin airport did not enter the count/equation in my mind.

The armchair route planner in me could be swayed into thinking a new route to be a city pair which constitutes a origin and destination airport. My brain hurts!

point2point

Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:51 pm

So now I believe that the F9 n/s routes to/from MCO are DEN, COS, MCI, DSM, MSN, BMI, MKE, TYS, GSO, MDT, ABE and TTN. (any corrections appreciated here)

However, with these less than weekly flights, I would think that MCO sees an average of about 5 or so in and 5 or so out F9 flights per day with 12 destinations.

Would anyone think that Apple Vacations would somehow eventually work their way in here, or that F9/Apple will become symbiotic with this, in the way that they are doing with the Mexico/Caribbean destinations? Maybe not going so far as to 'charter' the whole plane, but at least work with package deals?

And now of course the possibilities with dot connection appear, and DEN to/from ORD/CVG/CLE/PIT/BWI/ABE/TTN certainly are now more possible, and maybe get some $$$$ with re-positions.

Quoting mariner (Reply 213):
I'm not sure they would include Jamaica as a "state" but - maybe.

Details.... details......

I have yet to experience Montego Bay, so if they do, and maybe if the low intro fares are right, maybe time to dig out the swim trunks and sun screen, eh?

smoot4208

Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:40 pm

DSM-MCO is not returning this winter so it'll be 11 destinations

rampart

Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:44 pm

Quoting GentFromAlaska (Reply 6):
State of Delaware another option besides PHL to the south and EWR to the north.

Your geography lobe is off today, Gent.   Both PHL and EWR are north of Delaware. Delaware has BWI to the southwest or west, if that's what you meant, which is closer than EWR. But I agree, TTN could be an option for northern Delaware, it's a short jaunt up to TTN, but not much shorter than to BWI.

-Rampart

AVLAirlineFreq

Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:52 pm

F9 just posted on Facebook that, "We've still got one more route to announce tomorrow."

nkops

Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:59 pm

Quoting AVLAirlineFreq (Reply 15):

So they must have included MCO and DEN in the six cities

floridaflyboy

Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:02 pm

Quoting point2point (Reply 12):
So now I believe that the F9 n/s routes to/from MCO are DEN, COS, MCI, DSM, MSN, BMI, MKE, TYS, GSO, MDT, ABE and TTN. (any corrections appreciated here)

No MCI or DSM this season unfortunately   As of today's announcement, they'll have 38 weekly flights to 11 destinations. Wednesday will be the peak with 7 flights, while Tuesday will be the minimum with 4 flights. Everything else has 5 or 6 flights. This winter, also, all MCO flying will be Airbus, no E90s in MCO this year.
Good goes around!

point2point

Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:36 pm

Quoting floridaflyboy (Reply 17):
No MCI or DSM this season unfortunately   As of today's announcement, they'll have 38 weekly flights to 11 destinations. Wednesday will be the peak with 7 flights, while Tuesday will be the minimum with 4 flights. Everything else has 5 or 6 flights. This winter, also, all MCO flying will be Airbus, no E90s in MCO this year.

Thank you kindly for that......

F9 just posted on Facebook that, "We've still got one more route to announce tomorrow."

and who knows, the above can still change again after tomorrow's announcement, eh?

GentFromAlaska

Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:06 pm

Quoting rampart (Reply 14):
Delaware has BWI to the southwest or west

A brain fart I suppose. Yes I meant to write BWI to the South and west. I had the New Jersey coastline from Atlantic City down to Cape May and knew PHL was closest largest airport. Thanks for keeping me in   

mariner

Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:58 pm

Quoting rampart (Reply 1):
Trenton, NJ now appears on the route map.

Knock me down with a feather.

I thought AZA was very interesting, GSO okay if not inspiring, but TTN scratches more than one itch. I've only ever been to Trenton once - dinner with a crazy art professor from Princeton - so I know three tenths of sweet f.a. about it.

No reason why it can't work and I assume (?) Frontier is cushioned by revenue guarantees. It surely taps into that north-east/Florida corridor and there is the proximity of Princeton to consider.

I assume the biggest problem will be to persuade people that there is service at TTN. I'll be following this one with more than usual interest.

mariner
aeternum nauta

mikefrommke

Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:50 pm

Quoting nkops (Reply 16):
So they must have included MCO and DEN in the six cities

Six states. So Colorado, Arizona, New Jersey, Florida, and North Carolina. Meaning:

Which will be in a state not Colorado, Arizona, New Jersey, Florida, or North Carolina. My guess is either a DEN route for one of the eastern cities with only MCO service (ABE maybe) or an MCO route for a city that already has DEN service (PHF?).

OzarkD9S

Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:39 pm

Quoting mikefrommke (Reply 21):

Six states. So Colorado, Arizona, New Jersey, Florida, and North Carolina. Meaning:

After the shock of TTN, I wonder if there's a chance for ILG?
Next up: STL-OAK-RNO-LAS-ICT-STL

slcdeltarumd11

Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:10 pm

Which will be in a state not Colorado, Arizona, New Jersey, Florida, or North Carolina. My guess is either a DEN route for one of the eastern cities with only MCO service (ABE maybe) or an MCO route for a city that already has DEN service (PHF?).

Frontier really seems to be willing to try anything right now. Its a bold strategy but i love it, at least they are trying some new stuff and things outside of Denver! I am going to guess its LAS related

Quoting mariner (Reply 20):
No reason why it can't work and I assume (?) Frontier is cushioned by revenue guarantees. It surely taps into that north-east/Florida corridor and there is the proximity of Princeton to consider.

I cant imagine they got a revenue guarantee for twice ish a week TTN service since the airport is owned by the county and its a vacation route with little business benefit. Maybe some reduced fees the typical new airline stuff. I would certainly like to find out but i think we will know since its county owned and nj tends to make alot of this stuff public.

I think frontier is just really trying to see if they can find some unique and crazy markets that work and print cash competition free. Frontier knows it needs some routes other than Denver and seems to be interested in making the allegiant model work or at least try. It will either accelerate frontiers slow denver only painful death or the bold moves will allow it to have a chance to make some money consistently for a chance of long term survival. Frontier needs to do something to give some faith in the airline, so they can borrow at reasonable rates etc etc. I think they see the allegiant model and think its their best chance of long term survival for whatever reason

[Edited 2012-08-08 15:15:08]

mariner

Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:23 pm

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 23):
I cant imagine they got a revenue guarantee for twice ish a week TTN service since the airport is owned by the state and its a vacation route with little business benefit. Maybe some reduced fees the typical new airline stuff. I would certainly like to find out but i think we will know since its state owned.

I wouldn't take on a virtually empty airport without some help from someone. What TTN wants is traffic at TTN, so I'd expect "help."

It will either accelerate frontiers slow denver only painful death or the bold moves will allow it to have a chance to make some money consistently for a chance of long term survival.

I don't see a slow or painful death at Denver.

mariner
aeternum nauta

GentFromAlaska

Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:24 pm

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 22):
After the shock of TTN, I wonder if there's a chance for ILG?

According to the FAA URL; ILG (Wilmington, DE) is a class 1 Part 139 airport. They are permitted to embark pax beyond the nine permitted for non-certified Part 139 airports. Nearby DOV as a DOD airport would not have to abide by the Part 139 criteria if it was joint use. I don't think it is.

[Edited 2012-08-08 15:33:19]

rampart

Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:34 pm

Quoting GentFromAlaska (Reply 25):
They are permitted to embark pax beyond the nine permitted for non-certified Part 139 airports.

DL, UA, AL, and Shuttle America did serve ILG at one time or another. I recall the UA was with mainline, back in the time they were advertising "Serving all 50 states". Mid 80s I think. DL was most recent, I think. I don't recall if it was mainline, I thought it was, but perhaps just Comair or Business Express.

-Rampart

slcdeltarumd11

Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:35 pm

Quoting mariner (Reply 24):
It will either accelerate frontiers slow denver only painful death or the bold moves will allow it to have a chance to make some money consistently for a chance of long term survival.

I don't see a slow or painful death at Denver.

I know you love frontier its just IMHO i think they cant be denver only and survive

I just think a denver only airline is doomed long term and frontier management i bet also thinks that or they would fly just out of denver and not try all this risky stuff.

How many US airlines have survived in just in one city especially with all those connections they do? What happens if we hit the worst of all denver winters ever and there are a few huge storms in a row in denver followed by a few days of extreme wind or another massive hail storm again. Frontier has literally nowhere else to route anyone thru. It will be a disaster in the making. MCO is a bad location but at least they could have some of the airline flying and making profits instead of all the planes in denver they cant place all bets one city IMHO. No one has survived that way and i think there is a reason frontier is trying all these new cities and routes post MKE its to prevent themselves from being a DEN only airline.

mariner

Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:42 pm

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 27):
I know you love frontier its just IMHO i think they cant be denver only and survive

I'm not saying they should be "Denver only." I've been one of the loudest voices for other places.

But I don't see a slow and painful death at DEN.

As Sean Menke said, there has to be more to Frontier than DEN - but DEN has to be profitable first. If the primary hub isn't profitable, what's the point?

mariner
aeternum nauta

smoot4208

Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:41 am

Per the same source that told me about DEN-GSO earlier this week, F9 will give FAR another go around. Look for F9 to announce DEN-FAR tomorrow

knope2001

Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:07 am

Quoting floridaflyboy (Reply 4):
With the TTN service, this puts F9 at 38 flights per week this winter at MCO. Too bad it looks like DSM isn't coming back. But at least OMA got upgraded to the Airbus.

I looked at February and come up with 42/week so far:

14x to DEN
5x to MDT
4x to ABE
3x to GSO
3x to MKE
3x to COS
3x to BMI
2x to OMA
2x to TYS
2x to TTN
1x to MSN

The "so far" is because it looks like there's slack in the current schedule for a morning MCO-xxx-MCO flight three days per week. So I'm guessing there's one more Orlando destination coming tomorrow using that slack.

azstar

Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:10 am

Quoting smoot4208 (Reply 29):
Per the same source that told me about DEN-GSO earlier this week, F9 will give FAR another go around. Look for F9 to announce DEN-FAR tomorrow

DEN-FAR did pretty well, periodically. During the bleak winter, many flights were very empty, no different than other airlines that time of year. However, when they were full, they had a very high percentage of Mexico connections. There is a short window for full flights, usually July-August, and F9 had high load factors during that period. Yield could have been, and should have been higher however. F9 is really deficient in yield management. They frequently will fill an entire airplane with the lowest fare bucket, so they'll lose money when they could have broken even, or even made a small profit.

mariner

Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:25 am

Quoting smoot4208 (Reply 29):
FAR doesn't ring my bell - I spent a year there one week-end - and I'm puzzled they'd restart it in the winter, but they probably have information that I don't have.

FAR-MCO might do it for me.

mariner

[Edited 2012-08-08 18:26:28]
aeternum nauta

azstar

Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:40 am

G4 flies FAR-SFB. I doubt that a market the size of Fargo could support two carriers on the route.

mariner

Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:45 am

Quoting azstar (Reply 33):
G4 flies FAR-SFB. I doubt that a market the size of Fargo could support two carriers on the route.

I'm struggling to think there's enough for two carriers on DEN-FAR - in the winter. As you said:

Quoting azstar (Reply 31):
During the bleak winter, many flights were very empty, no different than other airlines that time of year.

mariner
aeternum nauta

smoot4208

Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:04 am

There is always a chance my source is wrong too. I definitely trust the source enough to put money on the destination as being FAR, but I guess it could always be MCO-FAR. The source was right about MCO-GSO but I do agree DEN-FAR starting in November does not seem very logical.

kcrwflyer

Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:33 am

Quoting knope2001 (Reply 30):
The "so far" is because it looks like there's slack in the current schedule for a morning MCO-xxx-MCO flight three days per week. So I'm guessing there's one more Orlando destination coming tomorrow using that slack.

Fingers crossed, but I think Charlie west remains out of luck. I appreciate Mariner and Gustywinds pulling for my city as well.

That said, Smoot was right before so I'm going to assume he's got the inside info again. Congrats to which ever city gets more service tomorrow.

F9Animal

Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:54 am

F9 is really doing some interesting things. They are totally showing a G4 type of operation outside of DEN. Is it me or is MCO looking like a new focus city?
I Am A Different Animal!!

floridaflyboy

Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:13 pm

Quoting knope2001 (Reply 30):

I used December, not February. I'm sure by February, there will be more adjustments. Maybe some reductions ala DSM and MCI or maybe some exciting new adds.
Good goes around!

AVLAirlineFreq

Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:21 pm

Quoting smoot4208 (Reply 35):
There is always a chance my source is wrong too. I definitely trust the source enough to put money on the destination as being FAR, but I guess it could always be MCO-FAR.

FAR is indeed on the route map this morning.

floridaflyboy

Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:28 pm

Quoting AVLAirlineFreq (Reply 39):

FAR is indeed on the route map this morning.

It will be very interesting to see what kind of frequency they give this one. Last go around, it was multiple dailies on Q400s. Since all the new announcements seem to be Airbus flying, I would imagine it will be less than daily.
Good goes around!

ATWZW170

Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:08 pm

Ok so quick recap of the week. I want to sound positive but I don't know how I feel about some of these routes.

AZA - so now serving two airports in a heavy leisure market with WN, US, UA, and G4 serving either the area or close to the area.

GSO-MCO - already has G4....

TTN - last time anyone served was DL? Pan Am? Before that East Wind.....

FAR - what pulled out of there maybe a year and a half ago.....

SBN - could be awesome.

I guess I am having a hard time understanding the logic behind going into markets where there is already someone flying the route. Certainly am not saying back down from competing but why not try to enter markets where there is no direct competition? And if MCO is becoming a focus city why aren't other good sized F9 markets connected? DCA, IND, MDW - and I know there are already a few flights in those markets but wouldn't it make sense connect some of the larger F9 stations?

[Edited 2012-08-09 06:35:13]
Success is getting what you want...happiness is liking what you get

GentFromAlaska

Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:45 pm

Quoting smoot4208 (Reply 35):
I guess it could always be MCO-FAR

If I lived in North Dakota across the Winter months I rather fly to MCO. If it were FAR-MCI the only tie in might be oil related.

nkops

Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:52 pm

Frontier's homepage is showing FAR-DEN, not MCO..... didn't they just drop this not too long ago??

BTW, there has been a rumor that RAH was awarded the national contract from Caesars Entertainment to provide charters for their US properties... they will be replacing SkyKing in ACY, and Allegiant in UTM and Laughlin (dont know code).. anybody from RAH on here know anything about this?? I was told Caesars wanted an aircraft around 100 seats and I believe the 190 holds 99.

stlgph

Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:53 pm

Quoting ATWZW170 (Reply 41):
IND

Call me crazy and I'll play armchair, but depending where the schedule ends up after AirTran vanishes into Southwest, Frontier, if it's still around (let us hope) - I could see them making a handful of flights from Indianapolis work. A run to Orlando, Tampa, Sarasota, and Ft Myers might serve them well. And yes, I know they don't currently serve Sarasota and yes I know they're leisure routes, but they've worked in the past for carriers.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

GentFromAlaska

Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:55 pm

I suppose I'm putting to much emphasis on "new destinations" I still feel the way F9 promoted Colorado one of the six new destinations/routes is skewed. Colorado in my mind as F9 major hub of operations would be an origin airport.

floridaflyboy

Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:57 pm

Quoting nkops (Reply 43):
BTW, there has been a rumor that RAH was awarded the national contract from Caesars Entertainment to provide charters for their US properties... they will be replacing SkyKing in ACY, and Allegiant in UTM and Laughlin (dont know code).. anybody from RAH on here know anything about this?? I was told Caesars wanted an aircraft around 100 seats and I believe the 190 holds 99.

Bryan Bedford said on the Q2 call that they were finalizing an agreement to re-deploy 5 E190 aircraft in a charter arrangement "similar to a CPA" so that would make a lot of sense.
Good goes around!

nkops

Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:00 pm

Quoting floridaflyboy (Reply 46):
Bryan Bedford said on the Q2 call that they were finalizing an agreement to re-deploy 5 E190 aircraft in a charter arrangement "similar to a CPA" so that would make a lot of sense.

It will be nice to see something different around ACY... this is one of the reasons I was hoping for Frontier sked service to cycle the aircraft in and out

flyinryan99

Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:02 pm

Quoting floridaflyboy (Reply 46):

Which would also co-inside with Allegiant retiring their M87s which was flying for this contract, too. That could be a great thing for whoever is taking the charters. Newer aircraft and wifi? Could be a great promotion for Caesers.

mikefrommke

Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:07 pm

Quoting GentFromAlaska (Reply 45):
I suppose I'm putting to much emphasis on "new destinations" I still feel the way F9 promoted Colorado one of the six new destinations/routes is skewed. Colorado in my mind as F9 major hub of operations would be an origin airport.

It was never 6 new routes or destinations. It was just announcements that affected six states, the sixth now being North Dakota.