FlexJetOKC
Topic Author

GA Plane Crash In Idaho -Cockpit Video- *Graphic*

Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:35 pm

I am not sure what kind of plane this is, however, it looks like the altimeter was showing 6,300 feet. I do not know what the OAT was at the time of the crash but you can tell the plane was really struggling to get airborne. I don't want to speculate but the plane may of been overweight. Check it out! Glad everyone survived with minimal injuries. It definitely could of been a lot worse!

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=835_1344412426

[Edited 2012-08-08 10:38:37]
Above the planet on a wing and a prayer, my grubby halo, a vapour trail in the empty air...

N202PA

RE: GA Plane Crash In Idaho -Cockpit Video- *Graphic*

Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:01 pm

Wow. That was incredible. It's truly amazing that no one lost their life.

c172akula

Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:12 pm

From the description of the video:

"Due to warming temperatures we had a hard time gaining altitude. After taking off we
hit an air pocket that made us rapidly loose altitude, pushing us down
into the trees."

Uh huh, not to armchair pilot but it sure looks like a high density altitude causing the airplane to barely be able to get out of ground effect before drifting down again (and not an air pocket). The real bad part is how much OPEN space that pilot had to put the plane back on the ground safely before ending up in those trees.

A388

Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:33 pm

Amazing, I have never seen such a recording of an air crash, very graphic indeed!!! The aircraft does seem to be struggling with gaining altitude. Lucky everybody survived.

A388

FighterPilot

Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:55 pm

Quoting C172Akula (Reply 2):

Looks like an over gross aircraft struggling to stay airborne.

Cal  airplane 

[Edited 2012-08-08 13:17:11]
*Insert Sound Of GE90 Spooling Up Here*

PC12Fan

Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:58 pm

Eerily similar to a video that was discovered of a crash in Colorado (unfortunately fatal) filmed by the occupants. The crash occured a few years ago bu the reckage had only recently been found. Don't have the link but I think it's on the same site. The occupants themselves were not on the video.
Just when I think you've said the stupidest thing ever, you keep talkin'!

Maverick623

Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:58 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 3):
very graphic indeed!!!

Not for Live Leak it's not  

But yeah, the pilot can expect some action on his certificate. At the latest, he should have aborted when he didn't get out of ground effect the first time. He's lucky he only broke his jaw and lost a couple of teeth.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

c172akula

Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:05 pm

Some additional info:

Field elevation is 6370' ASL
Weather of the day from the nearest station: http://i.wund.com/auto/iphone/weathe...iphone%2F&month=6&day=30&year=2012
Go with a standard pressure of 29.92
Density altitude of 8500', if the hottest point of the day figure 9500'

Aircraft was a Stinson 108.

flymia

Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:08 pm

Yea certainly some poor flyIng there. That takeoff roll was very long and even after the extremely long takeoff roll the plane was clearly struggling to gain speed and altitude and there was still clear grass to just put the plane down at before the trees.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

jcwr56

Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:14 pm

What i drew attention to was the lack of any talking. Unless the audio was that poor, I would have thought there would have been some "yelling" hang on we're going down.

It's like everyone was just watching, recording and not really paying attention to what was really taking place.

aeroblogger

Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:26 pm

Wow, I never knew that Idaho was so beautiful.
Airports 2012: IXE HYD DEL BLR BOM CCU KNU KTM BKK SIN ICN LAX BUR SFO PHX IAH ORD EWR PHL PVD BOS FRA MUC IST

N766UA

Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:39 pm

Quoting flymia (Reply 8):
Unless the audio was that poor, I would have thought there would have been some "yelling" hang on we're going down.

I think everyone was watching, recording, and knew exactly what was happening. Why yell? What good does yelling do? It was obvious what was happening.
This Website Censors Me

MD-90

Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:01 pm

That was a scary video--serious lack of performance with 4 people aboard on that flight.

Also a good reminder of why even vintage planes really ought to have shoulder harnesses. The other guy in the front is lucky he didn't smash his face on the glareshield like the pilot did.

MD-90

Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:08 pm

NTSB report

Shame to lose a classic airplane like that.

spacecadet

Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:10 pm

Quoting N766UA (Reply 11):
I think everyone was watching, recording, and knew exactly what was happening. Why yell? What good does yelling do? It was obvious what was happening.

Sort of agree to a point - I was in a situation once where I and everyone else on board was convinced the plane I was in was going to crash, and even though I thankfully turned out to be wrong, I'm sure the feeling at that time was no different than what these guys were thinking before their actual crash. I didn't yell either. You often hear talk of planes becoming eerily quiet when things get dangerous and that was my experience too. I personally just did not know what to say or do, and I felt this tremendous feeling of frustration over that. But I knew yelling wouldn't accomplish anything, and it probably sounds ridiculous but the fact that nobody else was yelling either made me feel like it would have been really out of place to do so myself. For me, at least, there was the thought that I might sound crazy. I mean I was convinced I was at my time of death, and I was still worried about sounding like a crazy person. I think these things that have been ingrained in us since birth don't go away even in a situation like that.

I do think there's something a little odd in the way they film this, though. If it wasn't so obviously real, I'd almost think it was staged. They film without even moving the camera right to the point of impact - I doubt I'd have even been able to hold my hand steady. They don't say *anything*, ever. Even after the crash, they just turn the cameras back on and walk around soundless. I realize we don't know what happened in the intervening 4 minutes - they could have been freaking out on the phone to a 911 operator - but it just looks weird in the video. I mean they have the wherewithal and physical ability to use their cameras, so they can't just be completely in shock. I guess that's the weird part for me - not how people that I can see are acting, but knowing that somebody's behind the camera and realizing that they seem to be filming as if this is just all in a day's work.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

steex

Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:31 pm

Quoting spacecadet (Reply 14):
I do think there's something a little odd in the way they film this, though. If it wasn't so obviously real, I'd almost think it was staged. They film without even moving the camera right to the point of impact - I doubt I'd have even been able to hold my hand steady. They don't say *anything*, ever. Even after the crash, they just turn the cameras back on and walk around soundless. I realize we don't know what happened in the intervening 4 minutes - they could have been freaking out on the phone to a 911 operator - but it just looks weird in the video. I mean they have the wherewithal and physical ability to use their cameras, so they can't just be completely in shock. I guess that's the weird part for me - not how people that I can see are acting, but knowing that somebody's behind the camera and realizing that they seem to be filming as if this is just all in a day's work.

This was one of my initial reactions as well, but for many people these days, it seems life is lived in its entirety using some kind of recording device as a filter. How many times do you see people walking around zoos, museums, parks, or even whole vacations capturing everything on their cell phone or iPad without really spending any time to stop and look at it with their own two eyes while they are there? If I were a betting man, I'd say this was the type of person to whom the camera is now a permanent extension of his body and it's a big deal to capture everything so it can be uploaded to the internet later.

USAIRWAYS321

Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:09 pm

Quoting aeroblogger (Reply 10):
Wow, I never knew that Idaho was so beautiful.

Many parts are fantastic.

N766UA

Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:17 pm

I think these things that have been ingrained in us since birth don't go away even in a situation like that.

I think people also understand that it's a bad idea, when the pilot is your only hope, to scream in his ear.
This Website Censors Me

flood

Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:34 pm

They don't say *anything*, ever. Even after the crash, they just turn the cameras back on and walk around soundless.

I'm quite certain it was filmed with a GoPro in its protective/waterproof housing. I use one myself and the case will block and muffle all but the loudest sounds, which explains the lack of talking and other ambient sounds. In the end, all you really hear are the creaking noises as the camera is handled in its protective case.

You can barely hear someone raising their voice as they're about to hit the trees though.

MD-90

Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:36 pm

They film without even moving the camera right to the point of impact - I doubt I'd have even been able to hold my hand steady.

I think he put it on a mount on the glareshield. Probably the suction cup one that it comes with.

Maverick623

Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:42 pm

I mean they have the wherewithal and physical ability to use their cameras, so they can't just be completely in shock.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acute_stress_reaction

They definitely were in that state. Not too serious, but you can tell by the guy's eyes when he picks up the camera he's not completely with it just yet.

ChicagoJetSet

Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:59 pm

Personally, I'm just glad everyone was okay. This situation could've have ended a lot worse. Whether it was pilot incompetence, or not.
"To most people, the sky is the limit. To those who love aviation, the sky is home."- Unkown

Aesma

Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:17 pm

Is it me or during take-off the plane goes down to the strip before "taking off" again ? That should have been a clue right there that if was not going to fly.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

roseflyer

Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:25 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 22):
Is it me or during take-off the plane goes down to the strip before "taking off" again ? That should have been a clue right there that if was not going to fly.

It does appear to get airborne and stay in ground effect before hitting the ground again since you see the thud of it coming back down. To me, that should be a sign that you need to get some weight out of the plane or reschedule your flight. I don't know what was going on in the mind of the pilot and what pressure he was in. We obviously know the consequences of this specific event, but there have been plenty of other circumstances where airplanes struggle to get airborne, but eventually make it to their destination safely. 4 adult men in a 4 seat airplane that has less than 1100 lbs of useable payload is always going to be a struggle at high elevations on a hot day.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

MrMatt

Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:27 am

I would agree also with the overgross theory. Not only that but textbook "high, hot & heavy." Idaho is generally mountainous so 80 or 90 deg. temps can drastically affect DA. Glad to hear everyone survived though.

-Matt
"3 things that won't help you: Runway behind you, Altitude above you & Fuel in the fuel truck"

aviateur

Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:49 am

Yikes. But I don't know about the passengers' account....

"After taking off we hit an air pocket that made us rapidly loose altitude, pushing us down into the trees."

Um, I don't think that's accurate. There is no such thing as an "air pocket." What happened was the plane was too heavy -- i.e. overloaded -- for the existing conditions.

PS
Patrick Smith is an airline pilot, air travel columnist and author

Goldenshield

Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:42 am

Quoting aviateur (Reply 25):
"After taking off we hit an air pocket that made us rapidly loose altitude, pushing us down into the trees."

That was the shallowest rapid loss of altitude I've ever seen.

Indeed, hot, high, and heavy. Not a good combo. Looks like a nice campsite, though.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

F9Animal

Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:48 am

You would think after the forever takeoff run and lack of altitude, he would have set it down before approaching the trees and hills. I know I would have set it down when I realized she was not performing well. It appears he got airborne for a moment, and came back down. Once he came back down, he should have given up trying to get airborne. Just glad everyone survived! They are very lucky!
I Am A Different Animal!!

Maverick623

Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:54 am

Quoting aviateur (Reply 25):

Even the NTSB preliminary report quotes the passenger as saying they hit a "downdraft". Oh well, the video pretty much explains it all.

my235

Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:50 am

I got my PPL while flying out of Glenwood Springs, CO airport. Elevation @ 5900msl. I learned what density altitude means the hard way and the sinking feeling of seeing telephone poles getting closer. Something tells me this guy took off with a tail wind or too much weight. Crazy. Is that a Cessna Bird-dog?

Maverick623

Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:09 am

Quoting my235 (Reply 29):
I learned what density altitude means the hard way

Same here. I did my training out of GEU, and shortly after getting my ticket I took my parents up to Payson. It was a warm day in April, and I was getting less than 200 ft/min climb when taking off from PAN. Doable, but nervewracking.

MATURRO727

Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:10 am

I learned what density altitude means the hard way and the sinking feeling of seeing telephone poles getting closer.
Same here. I did my training out of GEU, and shortly after getting my ticket I took my parents up to Payson. It was a warm day in April, and I was getting less than 200 ft/min climb when taking off from PAN. Doable, but nervewracking.

You guys should try doing your entire commercial, instrument training here in BOG(8.360MSL) on a 40 year old C-152/PA-28. Especially when some of your instructors weight more or less 180 to 200 pounds, you got your training in the afternoon block, the weather is not that great(almost never is anyway) plus you are surrounded by 11.000ft mountains..... Nowadays I still fly out of BOG on a daily basis but in a mighty and overpowered Airbus twin jet. But yeah the word is nerve-wracking.

saludos!

MATURRO727

MD-90

Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:42 am

Crazy. Is that a Cessna Bird-dog?

No, according to the NTSB report it's a Stinson 108-3, a rather attractive 4-place taildragger capable of carrying a good-sized load.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Baldur Sveinsson
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Daniel Piotrowski

spacecadet

Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:43 am

Quoting flood (Reply 18):
You can barely hear someone raising their voice as they're about to hit the trees though.

Yeah the first time I watched it I was at work and had the volume on my PC at about 50%, and I could hear the engine and the sounds of the camera being jostled around and they sounded reasonably loud, so I assumed I'd be hearing voices at a fairly normal volume if there were any. But watching again now at home in a quieter room, I can hear some talking throughout but it's definitely very muffled. I didn't realize the cameras were in some kind of housing, since I could hear the engine and jostling sounds.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

flyingturtle

Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:00 am

Quoting PC12Fan (Reply 5):
Eerily similar to a video that was discovered of a crash in Colorado (unfortunately fatal) filmed by the occupants. The crash occured a few years ago bu the reckage had only recently been found. Don't have the link but I think it's on the same site. The occupants themselves were not on the video.

It was a forest service flight, I remember. Ah, there is the video:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=316_1249535759

David
Keeping calm is terrorism against those who want to live in fear.

Gasman

Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:09 am

Too heavy, too hot, too high. Abysmal airmanship.

AF1624

Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:51 am

It was obvious the airplane wouldn't fly correctly from the get-go. He had plenty of time to abandon take off, and then to land again on soft grass seeing that he wouldn't make it above the trees.

Then he pulled back on the stick again and again maintaining a very high AoA.

And finally he stalled.

Terrible, terrible flying there.
Cheers

dashman

Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:04 am

Judging by the obvious load of 4 adults, possibly 20 to 30 gallons of fuel the Stinson was at or near sea level gross takeoff weight. Throw in a density altitude of 9500 feet and very common up and down drafts in mountainous terrain it was accident waiting to happen. Poor decision making on the part of the pilot in command. They should thank their lucky stars no one died in that crash. Summer mountain flying is no place for amateurs.

georgewall42

Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:28 pm

Seems like there's at least a couple of teachable moments in this video:

1.) I wonder what the takeoff performance and weight-and-balance data would show for that aircraft in those conditions. It appears that the pilot felt those checks were unneeded because he obviously had lots of "runway" to work with. The video does at least show why that assumption is not true.

2.) As noted by most posters, he had plenty of time to abort the whole takeoff, but chose not to, turning an inconvenient situation into a bad one. Makes you wonder if there was classic denial phase going on: this takeoff lag is just temporary, and why embarrass myself by aborting the takeoff; it will get better once the airplane gets going. The reality is that there's no guarantee things will "get better". In fact, the pilot was lucky those mountains were still far enough in the distance that they did not become a factor. Climb performance doesn't always magically get better on its own.

3.) The comments by the poster of the video are unfortunate, in that they deflect the blame to weather conditions (high temperature, air pocket). I understand that out of respect for the pilot (who also appears to be his friend) that he did not want to cite the real cause, which was pilot error. But deflecting the blame to mysterious "air pockets" leaves a bad lesson to prospective aviators.

4.) The pilot did make one good decision: at least he didn't pull back on the stick when the trees started to get closer. The video does show that a controlled crash, while not a good thing, is at least a survivable event. Whereas a power-on stall at 50 feet almost always leads to a non-survivable crash.

5.) I've also seen the other video, in which the crash was fatal. I seem to recall the pilot ignored the stall warning horn while in a steep bank at low speed very close to the ground. You can't get much worse than that.

garpd

Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:34 pm

Saw this yesterday on LiveLeak. The warning signs were all there during the take off roll. Especially as it touched down again before becoming airborne a second time.
arpdesign.wordpress.com

jayspilot

Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:18 pm

without seeing a weight and balance and some performance charts for that plane (as i've never flown one) its impossible to say if they were within weights (under max gross) (could have been as some of those older planes were built to haul a lot more then a newer 4 place with similar power) or even had the performance to handle those density altitudes with a climb rate under ideal conditions.. obviously they were able to get off the runway but climbing was not possible and was teh cause of the bent medal and trees torn up.

as stated above the airport is at 6400 msl and the runway is paved and over 4,000 so that alone without factoring in density altitude would make a 4 place single loaded up full with less then 200 hp out front handle horribly when at gross weight even on a cool day... add on 2-3,000 feet of density altitude for a warm late June day and its probably the case the the climb rates at the weight they were at were at best 50-100 ft per minute (horrible and not safe) which left them at the mercy of any change in wind or outside factor.

Considering teh pilot didn't look at all concerned it was probably not his first time flying the bubble like that (high, hot, heavy) and fortunatly everyone lived to see their airplane crash get posted on teh web and go viral!!

Lemmy

Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:39 pm

Quoting georgewall42 (Reply 38):
4.) The pilot did make one good decision: at least he didn't pull back on the stick when the trees started to get closer. The video does show that a controlled crash, while not a good thing, is at least a survivable event. Whereas a power-on stall at 50 feet almost always leads to a non-survivable crash.

Exactly. For all of the blame placed on the pilot (justified, it seems), at least he didn't spin in.
I am a patient boy ...

U2380

Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:48 pm

Quoting AF1624 (Reply 36):
Then he pulled back on the stick again and again maintaining a very high AoA.

And finally he stalled.

I may be wrong, I only watched the video quickly, but I didn't see a stall. In fact (as somebody said above) the 'controlled' decent into the trees was one of the main reasons for their survival.

SEA

Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:59 pm

I knew it was overloaded and too hot even before he got in the air the first time. That takeoff roll was simply far too long...

JoeCanuck

Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:33 pm

No single engine GA prop plane under 200hp, (a stock Stinson has, at most, 165hp...possibly only 150...at sea level), can be accurately called a true 4 seater....anybody should know that. Add to that a hot, high, dirt runway and it's a pretty easy call not to take off with a full load.

Make 2 trips...it's the smart thing to do...or at the very least, wait until it cools off a bit.

I'm totally on the 'bad piloting' bandwagon on this one. The side video shows a pretty high angle of attack. I attribute his 'not spinning in' to luck, more than skill.

As for the passenger comments about 'air pockets', the vast majority of people don't have the slightest clue about the physics of turbulence, angle of attack, density altitude or the concept of aerodynamic stall. The NTSB took his statement as a good description by a witness of what happened, using inaccurate terminology. Air pocket is merely a quote and they'll use it as nothing more than a description of the accident sequence, not an actual cause.
What the...?

JHCRJ700

Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:53 pm

Quoting C172Akula (Reply 2):
Uh huh, not to armchair pilot but it sure looks like a high density altitude causing the airplane to barely be able to get out of ground effect before drifting down again (and not an air pocket). The real bad part is how much OPEN space that pilot had to put the plane back on the ground safely before ending up in those trees.

I saw the video yesterday and thought the same thing. All of that wide open area and unfortunately they hit the trees.
RUSH

georgewall42

Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:54 pm

Quoting SEA (Reply 43):
I may be wrong, I only watched the video quickly, but I didn't see a stall. In fact (as somebody said above) the 'controlled' decent into the trees was one of the main reasons for their survival.

The stall was in reference to an older crash video on the same website, in which the pilot did manage to stall the aircraft at a similar altitude. The pilot in question (on the older video) ignored the stall buzzer [which was blaring for quite some time] for reasons unknown, and the crash was fatal.

9VSIO

Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:57 pm

For operations this high, presumably you would lean the mixture for take off?
Me: (Lining up on final) I shall now select an aiming point. || Instructor: Well, I hope it's the runway...

F9Animal

Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:03 pm

I did flight training out of North Las Vegas Airport in a Piper Traumahawk. The flight school lost a Tomahawk while taking off from Boulder City during the summer. They tried taking off on a short runway, that has a gradual incline at the end of the runway. Needless to say, the aircraft struck powerlines, and nose dived into the ground. It killed the student and instructor instantly. I went to the crash scene shortly after they removed it. There was windshield parts scattered all over with dried blood on it. The 4 foot crater where the engine slammed was full of wreckage. It was tragic, and certainly taught me a lesson. We flew to Boulder City weekly, and I told my instructor we would not use that runway in any circumstance.
I Am A Different Animal!!

U2380

Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:36 pm

Quoting georgewall42 (Reply 46):
The stall was in reference to an older crash video on the same website, in which the pilot did manage to stall the aircraft at a similar altitude.

Ah, my mistake, I do remember seeing that one as well. My apologies AF1624.