n313us
Topic Author

Rumor: Hawaiian & DL Merger

Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:23 pm

I heard a rumor that DL is going to buy Hawaiian Airlines and they are going to be merged together meaning Hawaiian Airlines is going to disappear. Has anyone else heard this same rumor?

jpetekyxmd80

Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:29 pm

Delta folks like to throw this one around.

Don't know if theres any merit behind it, but it would make me very sad.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

HAL

Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:31 pm

I've heard it on a nearly monthly basis for years. Personally, I don't see where DL would benefit from it, given that they can do anything HA does by buying their own planes and putting them in HNL, and it would be cheaper for them to do it that way than buy HA. It's just another rumor making the rounds. Keep moving on... nothing to see here...

HAL
One smooth landing is skill. Two in a row is luck. Three in a row and someone is lying.

BoeingGuy

Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Quoting n313us (Thread starter):
I heard a rumor that DL is going to buy Hawaiian Airlines and they are going to be merged together meaning Hawaiian Airlines is going to disappear. Has anyone else heard this same rumor?

I first heard the rumor that AA was going to buy AS in 1997. Then AS's CEO was somewhere in Georgia so DL was going to buy AS. It's 2012 and the Eskimo still flies independently.

Like AS, HA fills a niche quite well that doesn't seem like it would be nearly as successful in a Major legacy carrier's network. Considering that DL has cutback quite a few Hawaii routes, I have trouble believing this one.

Is HA looking to merge with someone?

Mortyman

Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:18 pm

Would such a merger be beneficial for HA and it's shareholders in any way ? HA seems to be doing well the way it is right now. Would be a shame to see yet another US airline be merged into another, especially such an airline as HA, who from what I understand has a way better onboard product than DL and most US airlines has.

( Never flown HA unfortunetly )

Besides, I like the Hula lady livery on the tail of HA . Best livery on any US airline at the moment  Smile Would be a shame to see it go ...

[Edited 2012-08-08 16:19:31]

roseflyer

Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:21 pm

Please fix the title to state this is a rumor.

With DL doing more and more HA maintenance, it is not surprising that rumors can start. DL does HA's 767 maintenance in SEA, and the A330s are ferried to other stations such as MSP for maintenance.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

chepos

Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:25 pm

Rumors in the airline industry get crazier by the day, what's the next rumor- AA is going to buy G4 and make Mesa/Gateway a conrestone hub. All because G4 operates the MD-80. lol!
DL is not going to purchase HA, just like DL is not going to purchase AS.
Regards,

Chepos
Fly the Flag!!!!

SFOA380

Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:32 pm

Great...let's ruin another awesome airline...

DocLightning

Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:56 pm

Yes, a rumor. DL has nothing to gain by buying HA and HA has nothing to gain by selling. HA has said that they are not interested and they are doing very well on their own, which they are.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

DeltaMD90

Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:06 am

I heard a rumor that DL is going to buy Hawaiian Airlines

This rumor (but more frequently DL+AS) has been around forever, pops up every week or so, and probably ain't happening

Quoting jpetekyxmd80 (Reply 1):

Actually, I hear DL+AS being thrown around, but I've never seen a DL guy mention a DL+HA rumor... I think they understand DL enough to know that merging with HA wouldn't yield them very much. At least you can argue the case for DL+AS but I think that's unlikely as well
Ironically I have never flown a Delta MD-90 :)

BoeingGuy

Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:11 am

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 9):
At least you can argue the case for DL+AS but I think that's unlikely as well

Yeah, you can argue the case for DL's executives maybe lining their pockets and egos. Not much else would benefit that I can see.

burnsie28

Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:24 am

Quoting jpetekyxmd80 (Reply 1):

First time i have heard this one, now the whole AS rumor is a different story, thats thrown around.

dlramp4life

Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:56 am

Quoting Roseflyer (Reply 5):
With DL doing more and more HA maintenance, it is not surprising that rumors can start. DL does HA's 767 maintenance in SEA, and the A330s are ferried to other stations such as MSP for maintenance.

Some 767 work is also done in ATL, overhauls at least.
SEA Ramp, wettest place on earth

TWA772LR

Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:09 am

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 3):

An HA/AS merger would be cool. I don't mean one brand takes over, but they have the same holding company and codeshare on every flight and other stuff, ala AF/KLM.

AS and someone else gets thrown around, a lot, to the point it's ridiculous. AS and HA have too big of niches to be in the sights of anyone for a merger. Although, I do like my merger idea above... they could name the company "People on Vert. Stabs. Air"  (thats my stupid, corny joke of the day) 
Beauty is watching a 787 bank to make a short final. Bliss is watching that 787 with a good beer. Nirvana is all of that with a beautiful woman on your side.

jpetekyxmd80

Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:18 am

Quoting burnsie28 (Reply 11):
First time i have heard this one, now the whole AS rumor is a different story, thats thrown around.

At least its been thrown around the HNL base. I've also heard a trifecta with AS and HA.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

deltal1011man

Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:28 am

Quoting HAL (Reply 2):

agreed. While the Asia growth would be nice, it would be better from LAX and SEA(IMO) (with another network addition that is)

ATL does HA work too. HA has a 767 sitting in Bay 9 as we speak.

Actually, I hear DL+AS being thrown around, but I've never seen a DL guy mention a DL+HA rumor... I think they understand DL enough to know that merging with HA wouldn't yield them very much. At least you can argue the case for DL+AS but I think that's unlikely as well

pilots do all the time. Who wouldn't like idea of living in Hawaii for work?

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 10):
Yeah, you can argue the case for DL's executives maybe lining their pockets

lol.
And those damn employee's would get stock and such....worthless. Anyone who thinks about touching the ever so loved AS should simple be set on fire.
New airliners.net web site sucks.

Bluewave 707

Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:09 am

RUMOR!!! Not going to happen ...

DL could never provide the in-flight product/experience that HA serves its customers!
"The best use of your life will be to so live your life, that the use of your life will outlive your life" -- D Severn

spiritair97

RE: Rumor: Hawaiian & DL Merger

Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:08 am

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 4):
Besides, I like the Hula lady livery on the tail of HA . Best livery on any US airline at the moment Would be a shame to see it go ...

I completely agree with you!

The quality sucks, yet it's still my favorite of all the pics I've ever taken! Getting up at 5am to see the inaugural arrival into JFK was so worth it!

I think that this merger, like the US/AA merger, would take one of the best liveries out of the sky. I know that this is not the logic the sotckholders and corporate heads use whe comtemplating a merger, but dammit it just might be one they oughtta try!            

DarkSnowyNight

Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:07 am

I heard that DL was actually going to take the Hawaiian name...  
Quoting dlramp4life (Reply 12):

Some 767 work is also done in ATL, overhauls at least.

Yeah, but DL does a lot of 767 work for other airlines at ATL. I don't think they're merging with LAN anytime soon either...
Be A Perfectionst, You're Nothing If You're Just Another; Something Material, This Isn't Personal...

airportugal310

Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:08 am

Quoting DarkSnowyNight (Reply 18):
Yeah, but DL does a lot of 767 work for other airlines at ATL. I don't think they're merging with LAN anytime soon either...

Exactly....I hope this supposed (and IMHO crappy rumor) doesn't come from some person who see's other airlines aircraft in the Delta hangar in ATL. That's all that needs to be said about that...
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

ghifty

Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:11 am

Quoting Bluewave 707 (Reply 16):
DL could never provide the in-flight product/experience that HA serves its customers!

I've never flown HA before, so exactly what is their "in-flight product/experience"?

DL's IFE is a lot more consistent throughout their wide-body fleet than HA's and it's complimentary-use.. can't imagine HA has five-star catering, either..
Fly Delta Jets

HNLPointShoot

Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:30 am

Quoting ghifty (Reply 20):
I've never flown HA before, so exactly what is their "in-flight product/experience"?

DL's IFE is a lot more consistent throughout their wide-body fleet than HA's and it's complimentary-use.. can't imagine HA has five-star catering, either..

Unless I'm mistaken, HA is currently the only airline that includes meals in the ticket price of their trans-Pacific flights (with meal upgrades available for a fee.) Everyone else (AS, UA, AA, DL, etc.) does buy-onboard. Honestly, that's the main reason why HA is my first choice when I'm flying to the Mainland, because I know I'll have something decent to eat in the 5+ hours I'm on the plane.

IFE is pretty basic on the 767s (fee for headphones, no AVOD or PTVs, movies shown on overhead screens), but there's a limited supply of portable DigePlayers that are also available with on-demand music and movies. The A330s are supposed to have much nicer IFE equipment, with AVOD and PTVs, and a USB port to charge electronic accessories.

[Edited 2012-08-09 00:32:08]

[Edited 2012-08-09 00:32:41]

Hamlet69

Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:33 am

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 13):
An HA/AS merger would be cool. I don't mean one brand takes over, but they have the same holding company and codeshare on every flight and other stuff, ala AF/KLM.

I've only ever heard this suggestion here on A.net. However, it's also the only one of these ridiculous, constant rumors that does make a certain amount of sense. Granted, I don't think it would ever, ever really happen. And afaik, it has never been officially even contemplated. However, if AS ever felt like they needed to get bigger to fend of any possible hostile takeover, I could see the Alaska Air Group buying Hawaiian Holdings Inc., then running both entities as seperate units but with very close co-operation. Operationally, timings would be adjusted, but otherwise not much would change. Only major shift I could potentially see would be a cancellation of the A350 orders, replaced with an 787 order. These would replace the 767's and, long-term, the A330's.

Sorry to go OT, but it's interesting to ponder. . .

Regards,

Hamlet69
Honor the warriors, not the war.

slcdeltarumd11

Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:48 am

If you read a.net enough delta is about to take over every airline shortly

deltal1011man

Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:24 am

Quoting airportugal310 (Reply 19):
doesn't come from some person who see's other airlines aircraft in the Delta hangar in ATL.

so wait....Delta isn't merging with the US Navy? ahhh crap!   

I was so ready to fly on a Rhino...  
New airliners.net web site sucks.

airportugal310

Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:44 am

Quoting HNLPointShoot (Reply 21):

All that plus what many people fail to realize is that Hawaiian is primarily a destination carrier. The motto of "Hawai'i Starts Here" is that they cater to the traveller who wants a taste of Hawai'i BEFORE they arrive on the islands and to some extent, AFTER.

If you want to experience the Aloha Spirit, you fly on Hawaiian for a few bucks more (maybe). If not, you can fly the rest of the group and just get here and do your thing.

Me...I like to fly HA because I want to be on vacation before I get on vacation (well, home now...)
This is no different for those people who like to fly on a nation's carrier to experience that nation's flavor and ambience before arriving at that country.

A totally different dynamic, depending on what you want.
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

jetjack74

Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:04 am

This is such rubbish, it really is. It's been tossed around by people who create the grandest of conspiracy theories cooked up by people who know no more than you or I. Someone says, "well these pilots were talking and said that we're buying Hawaiian, cus we want their A330s". And I think to myself, what a load of cods-wallop. If we really wanted more A330s, why would we "buy" an airline with only a few, when we could probably just lease some at a far more favorable price than going and purchasing a high-cost operation? Seriously. If you/your wife/husband/lover/boyfriend/girlfriend needed cars or something, would you buy a car-dealer? C'mon now. This is all non-sense
Made from jets!

RWA380

Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:56 am

This is another thread that keeps rearing it's ugly little head. The conversations that have existed in the past that I have read, seemed to all come to the conclusion, this is not only a rumor, but a resilient and formidable one. This isn't going to happen unless by force, DL would kill anything uniquely Hawaiian, and would make it's slowly stripped route structure no better than flying any other carrier. Keep HA Hawaiian! No mainland airline will ever be able to duplicate the magic that is an HA experience.
Next Flights: PDX-HNL-OGG-LIH-PDX On AS, WP & HA

usdcaguy

Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:02 am

I don't see why DL could not just buy HA but keep it as a separate brand. They could even rebrand their DL nonstops from Hawaii to Japan as Hawaiian Airlines. They would then benefit from having seamless flow over HNL to a number of destinations while leveraging Hawaiian's strengths. All HA flights could be codeshare with DL while HA code could be placed on a number of flights within the US. However, all traffic on HA would be exclusive to DL (no other codeshares) and all profits taken by one company. I think it would be a great idea, as long as HA were kept as a separate brand to/from Hawaii.

NWAESC

Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:16 pm

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 27):
This is another thread that keeps rearing it's ugly little head.

Well, something had to the replace the "When will the DC9's retire?" threads...
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

bobnwa

Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:03 pm

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 10):
Yeah, you can argue the case for DL's executives maybe lining their pockets and egos. Not much else would benefit that I can see.

Just how would DL's executives line their own pockets and egos with a merger with either HA or AS.

Do people just start this rumor so that later on when asked for a source. they can refer to a A-Net posting they originated?

Trucker

Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:12 pm

And with DL picking up all those 717s you gotta figure DL will be doing the maintenance on HA's 717s. Alot of fleet commonality here.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 8):
DL has nothing to gain by buying HA

HA is making money. There's always something to be gained by buying a profitable company.

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 27):
This is another thread that keeps rearing it's ugly little head

Don't know if I've ever seen a thread where DL is buying HA. It's usually Southwest buying them.

Quoting usdcaguy (Reply 28):
I don't see why DL could not just buy HA but keep it as a separate brand.

Yea. Given that DL does their maintenace and they work together in other ways and HA is profitable this would make some sence. Not saying will happen though. Just saying it wouldn't be a bad idea.

mayor

Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:16 pm

Quoting bobnwa (Reply 30):
Do people just start this rumor so that later on when asked for a source. they can refer to a A-Net posting they originated?

Actually, I think they start these rumors, just so they'll have some reason to slam the airline that they currently hate. It seems to get worse as an airline does better, because they can't find anything really meaningful to complain about.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

brilondon

Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:13 pm

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 3):
Like AS, HA fills a niche quite well that doesn't seem like it would be nearly as successful in a Major legacy carrier's network. Considering that DL has cutback quite a few Hawaii routes, I have trouble believing this one.

Doesn't AS and HA code share or have an agreement with DL already? What would both airlines get from this merger. I don't see it being anything but a administrative conundrum. Besides it is just rumours here on A-net. They are usually just dreams and innuendo of some people who think these things up and want to see what people think of their ideas.

[Edited 2012-08-09 08:33:29]

[Edited 2012-08-09 08:37:03]

[Edited 2012-08-09 08:37:51]
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!

WA707atMSP

Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:15 pm

I heard a rumor that DL is going to buy Hawaiian Airlines

This rumor (but more frequently DL+AS) has been around forever, pops up every week or so, and probably ain't happening
Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 23):
If you read a.net enough delta is about to take over every airline shortly

These rumours start up on ANet almost like clockwork. I think the people who initiate them have "Delta Merger Partner" dartboards.
Seaholm Maples are #1!

richierich

Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:33 pm

Quoting Bluewave 707 (Reply 16):

I had the good fortune of recently flying to Hawaii. Managed to take HA on the way out (B767) and DL on the way back to the mainland (B752). To be honest, there wasn't much seperating them in Y. I think HA had more seat room and comfort than DL, probably a function of using a larger aircraft than anything else. Service was more attentive on HA, yes, but IFE was a pain in the neck (literally) on either airline and although HA served "lunch" it was just a barely edible dried-out sandwich. I was not expecting anything so I am not trying to sound self-righteous but my point is that there was nothing much about the experience on either that would make me choose one over the other. Maybe it is different up front...

With that said, the notion of DL and HA merging is just the rumor du jour and nothing more, it's just where the rumor wheel happened to land today in my opinion.
None shall pass!!!!

NWAROOSTER

Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:46 pm

About the only thing that may happen is Delta may pick up Hawaiian's 717 overhaul maintenance.

The rest is just pot stirring........      
Procrastination Is The Theft Of Time.......

mrskyguy

Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:21 pm

Yes, I've heard it quite a bit. Delta Tech Ops manages Hawaiian's A330 program.
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee." -- Gunter's 2nd Law of Air

HAL

Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:01 pm

Quoting Trucker (Reply 31):
HA is making money. There's always something to be gained by buying a profitable company.

Would DL still be able to keep that profit going if they bought HA? What is it that allows HA to earn a profit where so many others don't?

The point is that what makes HA special (and profitable) is the fact that their service, comfort, and amenities allow them to charge a little bit more than the rest. If DL buys them, all that goes out the window. Why? Would DL keep up the more extensive service in Y that HA does? Would DL provide that 'already in Hawaii' feeling you get when you first board a HA plane? Simple answer - no. The HA brand, and service, would disappear, and so would any profits made by them. Buying HA would entail a substantial premium, because of their profitability. The cost involved would cause DL to have to cut back in their costs elsewhere, like the more expensive service HA offers, mostly because it's much more expensive to try and offer several levels of service and amenities rather than offering one level of service across the company. Then what is left? A bunch of very expensive aircraft, doing exactly the same thing DL does now. Why in the world would DL decide to do that?

HAL
One smooth landing is skill. Two in a row is luck. Three in a row and someone is lying.

Burkhard

Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:03 pm

Rumors of mergers have one purpose: Manipulate the share prices. Be sure that some Wall Street gambler has a bet on HA shares and manipulates the prices by spreading such rumors.

On the other hand, all airline stocks are worth far less than the value of the asets and capital of the airlines, because this is a low margin buisiness, so to buy a specialist with 20 wide bodies and a dozen of large regional jets would be far cheaper than buying that fleet and setting up the business against the competitor.

Hawaiin Airlines market cap today is 315,080,240$ -

N200WN

Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:33 pm

Mergers and rumors of mergers...wasn't this all predicted in the bible?

hnl-jack

Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:44 pm

Enough already. If the DL fanboys had their way DL would be buying up everyone. This is an absurb rumor and it isn't going to happen.

ikramerica

Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:17 pm

Quoting HAL (Reply 2):
I've heard it on a nearly monthly basis for years. Personally, I don't see where DL would benefit from it, given that they can do anything HA does by buying their own planes and putting them in HNL, and it would be cheaper for them to do it that way than buy HA. It's just another rumor making the rounds. Keep moving on... nothing to see here...

Very true. Base 10 717s in HNL, paint some pretty flowers on them, and there you go. Not sure why DL would do this, but they could then go for local O&D and connect their pax around the islands instead of offloading them onto HA.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

Trucker

Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:43 pm

Quoting HAL (Reply 38):
Would DL still be able to keep that profit going if they bought HA?

Good chance they could, especially if DL kept HA a separate entity and kept the current management in place. Even with a total integration, DL isn't a poorly managed airline at this point so who knows?

Quoting Burkhard (Reply 39):
because this is a low margin buisiness

Airlines usually have a ton of debt. That doesn't make them attractive takeover targets for someone on the outside. But for another airline that also has a ton of debt....

Quoting HNL-Jack (Reply 41):
it isn't going to happen.

That's right but isn't taking a rumor and running with it one of the best things we do on A.NET.

mayor

Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:25 pm

Quoting HNL-Jack (Reply 41):
Enough already. If the DL fanboys had their way DL would be buying up everyone. This is an absurb rumor and it isn't going to happen.

How do we know this rumor started with the DL fanboys?
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

hnl-jack

Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:58 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 44):
How do we know this rumor started with the DL fanboys?

We don't, but this is the 45th post on this ridiculous topic and all one has to do is read the posts to see who is keeping it going.

HAL

Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:06 pm

Quoting Trucker (Reply 43):
Good chance they could, especially if DL kept HA a separate entity

...which would never, ever happen. The cost of keeping two airlines running with different certificates, contracts, crews, service, amenities, etc, would be prohibitive. The whole point of mergers is to lower costs - this wouldn't do it.

HAL

mayor

Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:18 pm

Quoting HNL-Jack (Reply 45):

We don't, but this is the 45th post on this ridiculous topic and all one has to do is read the posts to see who is keeping it going.

Well, with THIS reply and #46, YOU are keeping it going.......  

enilria

Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:42 pm

Let me preface this by saying that I'm anti-merger. The industry is too consolidated now.

I'm hearing that there is a ton of M&A activity and discussion going on right now. Airlines fall into three categories: buyers, sellers, and reluctant. This is my understanding of how it goes.

BUYERS
US Airways (wants AA, if not will look at anything else)
Delta (wants anything they can get approved by DOJ exc F9)
American (wants anybody but US and F9)
JetBlue (might be interested in VX)

SELLERS
Frontier
Virgin America (this is rumor only, but they may be open to a deal)
US Airways (open to any deal)
American (becomes a seller if current management loses control)

NOT INTERESTED
Alaska
United

UNKNOWN
Spirit
Allegiant
Hawaiian

Following are "off-the-wall" deals that would not surprise me.
DL attempting to buy B6. DOJ would hopefully kill it, but who knows.
DL attempting to buy AS.
NK attempting to buy F9 (probably shutting DEN as a real hub)

hawaiian717

Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:00 pm

This rumor has been going around since at least 1989; Hawaiian has been through a handful of bankruptcies and owners and Delta hasn't managed to buy them yet. http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/ar...aiian-airline-peter-ueberroth.html

I think the latest round sprang up from Delta's acquisition of the AirTran 717 fleet. Some fanboy said "Delta has 717s! Hawaiian has 717s! They should merge!" and it went from there.

Any merger with HA is going to face opposition from politicians and residents of Hawaii fearful of losing their "local" airline. Local identity is important in the islands; when CVS bought California-based Longs Drugs, they kept the Longs name on the Hawaii stores while converting mainland stores to CVS because Longs has such a long running, well established local identity (despite not actually being a Hawaii-based company).