FlyASAGuy2005
Topic Author

Continental (Now UAL) From First To Worst?

Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:01 am

One of my hobbies is following DOT reports. Looking at June's report, things were quite scary. Namely the complaints section. If i'm reading this right, of the 5,000+ consumer complaints filed against US airlines since January (through June which is the report's run date), UA had close to 2,000; or about 1/3. I'm guessing a lot of it has to do with the merger but looking at the big picture, it seems like they've went to the dogs in almost every category!

I just hope that they can get a handle of their operation SOON.

http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/reports/2012/August/2012AugATCR.pdf

[Edited 2012-08-10 23:09:22]
What gets measured gets done.

VC10er

RE: Continental (Now UAL) From First To Worst?

Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:07 am

I read the same report. It confirmed 33% of complaints. I personally think 75% of the complaints come from the "switchovergate" which will take a while for the flying public to forget. I have 3 friends at United who have said that as bad as it was for passengers, it was worse for United (both CO and UA) people who had to use the new system. Especially those on the front lines. Every day after work they went home crying. I don't know what "quick res" is, but it was a PMUA thing that they lost in the merger.

I have been on UA a lot in the past 6 months, in fact today when I fly I will hit my 1K, and if you are in E+, business or first on an sCO or SUA aircraft - and they have the new seats, renovated interiors, new IFE and the improved food etc..there isn't much to complain about until you get a rotten FA. And that is rare, but it does happen.

I'm sure people will add real nightmares besides the switchover. Smisek apologized for the computer problems, but with all the loyal pax they lost I bet the board of directors beat the hell out of him.

At least the new Global First amenity kit is rather awesome  
The world is missing love, let's use our flights to spread it!

quiet1

Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:43 am

I heard that Friday UA cancelled 20% of its ORD flights after 500pm due to some software problems with baggage handling. That's not a Good Thing, and probably will contribute to yet more complaints.

loggat

Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:01 pm

That's what bean counters running airlines will do for you. Have you noticed how UA goes out of their way to tell you they are giving you a great customer experience, yet DL doesn't say it. Which one really has the better experience? The product should be speaking for itself.
There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count, and those that can't.

par13del

Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:17 pm

Quoting VC10er (Reply 1):
I bet the board of directors beat the hell out of him.

To be snippy, this means what, they should have been more involved in the ground work as well as the initial go ahead.
Mergers are not done so frequently, everyone needs to step up, including the monitors of the monitors.

Directors, shareholders and some senior executives see mergers as just financial paperwork, combines both revenue streams the larger numbers give economies of scale, greater leverage, etc etc etc.
Not much attention to details is paid to the lower level managers and personnel who actually have to integrate the operations, rather than beating him up they should have ensured that additional resources were put in place to assist the lower level folks.

One thing missed is that companies have been downsizing staff for years, persons today are doing the job that 2 or 3 persons did years ago, now a massive merger activity is bought onboard and additional resouces are needed, the mantra
that one has to spend money to make money is true in mergers as well.

Software testing for something as extensive as a combined reservations network from the outside looking in seemed to have fallen down somewhere.

strfyr51

Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:48 pm

Quoting par13del (Reply 4):

The BOD gettig beat up?? Not a chance!! What Will happen is they'll analyze the heck out of it and come up with some management solution to an opeational problem That Bag system has been running good around the clock for Yrars Everything fails eventually and computers rarely give any warning before they fail.

United_fan

Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:57 pm

I flew them for the first time in 6 years in April.I was not impressed to say the least. I dont think I'll be coming back if it weren't for my $200 voucher for an earlier flight that was ,(surprise), delayed.
Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

par13del

Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:07 pm

Quoting strfyr51 (Reply 5):
The BOD gettig beat up??

Nah, they will do as you said, I totally agree.
I just meant that the damage has already been done and the cause of the damage is evident, the cover up must commence.
By the time another such merger is done, new folks will be involved and they will be sure that the mistake made by those ahead will never be repeated, famous last words.

iad2cdg

Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:51 pm

I was on a United flight from ORD to IAH last night that was delayed for over two hours in part due to the baggage issue. We were scheduled to depart at 8:28 and the departure was pushed back to 9:25 because the aircraft arrived late. We started boarding around 9:10. At about 9:40, the main door was closed. And then we sat. It was probably 30 minutes before an announcement was made, which consisted of the lead FA saying that he didn't know why we weren't leaving and they couldn't find a gate agent to talk to. The baggage issue was eventually explained and we left at 10:45 after sitting for over an hour (much of which was spent watching commercials for the Lincoln MKZ after the free DirectTV preview ran out shortly after they closed the main cabin door - I'm pretty sure I hate that car now).

The gate agents at ORD were pretty hostile, to the point of being borderline abusive towards the passengers. In fact, once on board, the lead FA made an announcement to say that many people had asked for comment cards to complain about the gate agents, but that they were no longer available and that we could go on-line to provide "feedback."

Once I got to IAH, and after waiting close to two hours for my checked bag to be found, I walked by a baggage handler on my way out of the terminal who told me after we made eye contact that "we told 'em that this merger wouldn't work for sh*t."

I've only lived in Houston for about a month at this point, but whenever I talk to people about traveling, they typically launch into a tirade about United, with many stating that they now look at other carriers when they need to fly, regardless of their status on United. It's too bad, given that many people seemed to really enjoy Continental. And having moved here from a Northwest city that became Delta, the contrast in merger execution is quite striking.

IAD2CDG

rising

Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:59 pm

No one believes that this merger process has been handled perfectly by United. Mistakes were made. I personally have been frustrated over the past few months with delays and cancellations to my own travel plans.

But no one today is talking about US Airways' computer disaster several years ago. Several years from now the same will apply to United. As United has said publicly, the main reason for United's issues today was the mistake of adopting the Continental Airlines best practice of having preventative service lines, where you produce time in the schedule where aircraft will go on a preplanned basis and complete work, to the United fleet and paying for it by bringing down spare aircraft. The goal was actually to raise United's completion factor the very high, admirable number Continental always had. But they couldn't make it work, yet. So they are bringing spares back up to the 15 frames they traditionally had kept on the United side until they can adopt the practice fleet wide. As Scott Kirby famously said, running a bad operation costs money, and one can bet they will address the issue.

No doubt, many of United's issues today are self-made, but the thing to think about with this data linked at the start of the thread, is that it's not apples to apples. Different airlines operate different airplanes at different hub airports with different weather. Also not all flights are considered. The data is only at "reportable airports."

Like clockwork, every few months we see a media story about the great on-time performance of Hawaiian Airlines, and company with 43 frames and 22 destinations. With the great Hawaiian weather and small fleet, the real news story would be if they were not number 1.

And just a comment on the "elite flyers leaving in droves"- an opinion based on speculation, with no data to back up the claim- it's getting tired. Someone heard someone, or someone read a comment somewhere and now all of a sudden "everyone" is leaving. And, even if it were true, if someone is driven away from your brand by one or a few bad experiences , that says more about them, than the airline.
If it doesn't make sense, it's because it's not true.

BestWestern

Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:11 pm

Quoting rising (Reply 9):
if someone is driven away from your brand by one or a few bad experiences , that says more about them, than the airline.

Oh, the arrogance to blame the customer.
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

rising

Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:15 pm

Quoting bestwestern (Reply 10):

Not blaming the customer. People have every right to be upset. I know I was last week when my flight was canceled. But one cancellation does not ruin a decade of mostly great trips.

It's like if you get fired from a job. It would be a traumatic experience filled with anger. But on your death bed, you would probably think of that as a minor setback on an otherwise successful life. The same with this. They merged. They dropped the ball on some things. You don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.
If it doesn't make sense, it's because it's not true.

kgaiflyer

Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:18 pm

I have 3 friends at United who have said that as bad as it was for passengers, it was worse for United (both CO and UA) people who had to use the new system. Especially those on the front lines. Every day after work they went home crying.

I still have employees giving me their business cards and asking me to report to the company about the good they're doing. So I suspect everyone's pulling out of the morass.

BestWestern

Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:30 pm

Rising, your comments in post 9 are all about blaming others. Blaming the weather, blaming different hubs, blaming reportable airports, blaming fickle passengers, blaming the fact that UA is big, etc ad nausium. Again, perhaps the Blame is on United, rather than everything else.

Quoting rising (Reply 11):
But one cancellation does not ruin a decade of mostly great trips.

That one cancellation may be the tipping point in an already tarnished experience of delays, hostile staff and other cancellations.

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 12):
I still have employees giving me their business cards and asking me to report to the company about the good they're doing.

That to me sounds like nobody internally notices the hard work that some are doing, so the staff have to plead with passengers to say thanks.

and company with 43 frames and 22 destinations.

A smaller airline is more affected if an aircraft goes tech, as a higher % proportion of their fleet is AOG. With united, they have more services to cover AOGs with.
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

traindoc

Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:45 pm

The new UA is certainly not the old CO that I flew and enjoyed. But little by little the new UA is getting its act together. My last trip was SAT-IAH-DCA-ORD-OMA-IAH-SAT over 6 days. Six flights in all involving" old" CO mainline, "old" UA mainline and UA express. Only one late flight, the last leg, (and only 15 minutes) waiting for late connecting pax.

If I go to DL, I start all over as a minnow in a big pond, even though I have 800,000 Sky miles. If I go to AA, I get the management hating crews and most likely a US/AA merger. (If US has yet to integrate their pilot groups, can we expect labor peace at the new AA?)

So I stick with UA as a 1K. (At least a bigger minnow.) Better the devil I know, than the devil I don't.

mayor

Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:58 pm

Quoting bestwestern (Reply 13):
and company with 43 frames and 22 destinations.

A smaller airline is more affected if an aircraft goes tech, as a higher % proportion of their fleet is AOG. With united, they have more services to cover AOGs with.

But, it's also much easier for a smaller airline to maintain a better on-time record, which makes the media reports an apples to oranges comparison and not very valid.

Quoting iad2cdg (Reply 8):
I've only lived in Houston for about a month at this point, but whenever I talk to people about traveling, they typically launch into a tirade about United, with many stating that they now look at other carriers when they need to fly, regardless of their status on United. It's too bad, given that many people seemed to really enjoy Continental.

IIRC, I thought that much of the current UA management was ex-CO, moved from Houston to Chicago?
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

PITingres

Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:15 pm

But no one today is talking about US Airways' computer disaster several years ago. Several years from now the same will apply to United.

I don't talk about the US computer meltdown, but I don't fly US if I can help it, either. Any UA manager who thinks that it will all just go away naturally needs to be fired. I sure hope that UA is moving in the right direction, but it's not going to happen by managers (or staff) believing their own PR about how everything is just fine.
Fly, you fools! Fly!

ssteve

Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:17 pm

Quoting traindoc (Reply 14):
Only one late flight, the last leg, (and only 15 minutes) waiting for late connecting pax.

They don't seem to know how to do this at Dulles. I was in row 3 of a mysteriously delayed 739, and I got to the A gates to find my flight had just left. So I then, of course, got to watch everyone else in my plane arrive in a sweat to be told the same thing for a few other flights in the same bank. It was infuriating. And that said-- do they teach gate agents to at least say, "I'm sorry?" Because there was none of that... there was more a feeling that screwing people over in this way was routine. Really? Eye rolls for the people who got on the mobile lounge when their flight said "boarding?" Yeah, it's *so* ridiculous for them to be a bit exasperated to find that you were merrily closing out flights for the last bank of the day.

So I got in a day late, and then found they'd lost one bag, while the other had made the connection the night before. I mention this all not because I want sympathy, or because I think this is an atypically horrible experience, but because I tend to wonder whether other operational things are suffering, still, perhaps because the IT stuff has been so screwy, some employees/contractors seem disinclined to do anything more than the minimum required of them? On the way back, I listened to two gate agents argue over whether it was worth it to add a 50th passenger to a flight. I felt like taking the side of the guy arguing for the passenger! Maybe United ought to as well.

Beardown91737

Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:27 pm

Quoting par13del (Reply 4):
Software testing for something as extensive as a combined reservations network from the outside looking in seemed to have fallen down somewhere.

This is why someone should get beat up. It may be Smisek being beat up, or it may be Smisek identifying the "yes men" who said they were ready for the cutover and beating them up.

After seeing the bad IT integration at US it should have been a priority to make this go well. Whether long term fliers stay or go, the immediate impact is the cost on the day of the failures. That is why UA would have done better with making the integration smooth than rushing a date for the cutover so that they could start saving on the integrated operations.

Quoting iad2cdg (Reply 8):
I've only lived in Houston for about a month at this point, but whenever I talk to people about traveling, they typically launch into a tirade about United, with many stating that they now look at other carriers when they need to fly

As much as people say this, United has the bulk of the non-stops out of IAH. Customers may look elsewhere for routes that already were going to require them to connect, (IAH-DFW-GRR on AA vs. IAH-ORD-GRR on UA for example), but likely are not going to be so mad as to condemn themselves to making a stop on the way for every trip that isn't to one of the other carrier's hubs.

From a distance, you would get the sense that Houston has a pre-disposal toward anger at the name United and towards losing the HQ that had been taken from Los Angeles 30 years ago on CO's first trip from first to worst.

Not that I agree this is a first to worst journey. After Lorenzo took over, CO really wasn't flying where I was going, so my only CO experience after 1980 was after the merger and the main thing I noticed was the FAs walking through the terminals ranting about the merger.
135 hrs PIC (mostly PA-28) - not current. Landings at MDW, PIA, JAN.

Alnicocunife

Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:05 pm

Continental (Now UAL) From First To Worst? Just wait until AA and USAir merge. United will look like you are in a private jet with 100+ of your best friends! And nobody will remember a few bad UA experiences.

calpilot

Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:09 pm

I'm sure people will add real nightmares besides the switchover. Smisek apologized for the computer problems, but with all the loyal pax they lost I bet the board of directors beat the hell out of him.

Yeah... They gave him a beating; a $14 Million one. "Ugh"!

AirCalSNA

Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:21 pm

Having sworn off UA years ago, despite my home airport being SFO, and in light of the ongoing customer-service problems post-merger, I am coming to the conclusion that UA employees are borderline sabotaging their employer. Get your acts together people!

ABQopsHP

Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:30 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 15):
IIRC, I thought that much of the current UA management was ex-CO, moved from Houston to Chicago?

Exactly! Take that into consideration when coming to the conclusion about who ruined CO.

JD CRP Exjet
ABQ ops, Cactus 202 requesting you order 5 Green Chile Chicken stew for us to p/u on arrival. ;)

picarus

Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:48 pm

The DOT report contains a complaint from me, and I assure you, United earned it--repeatedly.

Picarus

kgaiflyer

Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:42 pm

Quoting SSTeve (Reply 17):
They don't seem to know how to do this at Dulles. I was in row 3 of a mysteriously delayed 739, and I got to the A gates to find my flight had just left. So I then, of course, got to watch everyone else in my plane arrive in a sweat to be told the same thing for a few other flights in the same bank. It was infuriating. And that said-- do they teach gate agents to at least say, "I'm sorry?" Because there was none of that... there was more a feeling that screwing people over in this way was routine.

Over at the ground-level A gates, most of the gate agents speak multiple languages -- except clear English. Always speak to them slowly since they actually may not understand what you are saying. The Customer Service people in ground-level A are slow and exasperating -- and ( at least those that actually understand English ) seem proud of it.

ABQopsHP

Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:25 pm

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 24):

They don't seem to know how to do this at Dulles. I was in row 3 of a mysteriously delayed 739, and I got to the A gates to find my flight had just left. So I then, of course, got to watch everyone else in my plane arrive in a sweat to be told the same thing for a few other flights in the same bank. It was infuriating. And that said-- do they teach gate agents to at least say, "I'm sorry?" Because there was none of that... there was more a feeling that screwing people over in this way was routine.

Over at the ground-level A gates, most of the gate agents speak multiple languages -- except clear English. Always speak to them slowly since they actually may not understand what you are saying. The Customer Service people in ground-level A are slow and exasperating -- and ( at least those that actually understand English ) seem proud of it.

If believe the IAD agents are outsourced to Air Wisconsin. So if its a Vendor then they are less likely to go above and beyond. Just my 2 cents.

JD
ABQ ops, Cactus 202 requesting you order 5 Green Chile Chicken stew for us to p/u on arrival. ;)

questions

Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:27 pm

They don't seem to know how to do this at Dulles. I was in row 3 of a mysteriously delayed 739, and I got to the A gates to find my flight had just left. So I then, of course, got to watch everyone else in my plane arrive in a sweat to be told the same thing for a few other flights in the same bank. It was infuriating. And that said-- do they teach gate agents to at least say, "I'm sorry?" Because there was none of that... there was more a feeling that screwing people over in this way was routine. Really? Eye rolls for the people who got on the mobile lounge when their flight said "boarding?" Yeah, it's *so* ridiculous for them to be a bit exasperated to find that you were merrily closing out flights for the last bank of the day.

So I got in a day late, and then found they'd lost one bag, while the other had made the connection the night before. I mention this all not because I want sympathy, or because I think this is an atypically horrible experience, but because I tend to wonder whether other operational things are suffering, still, perhaps because the IT stuff has been so screwy, some employees/contractors seem disinclined to do anything more than the minimum required of them? On the way back, I listened to two gate agents argue over whether it was worth it to add a 50th passenger to a flight. I felt like taking the side of the guy arguing for the passenger! Maybe United ought to as well.
Quoting AirCalSNA (Reply 21):
Having sworn off UA years ago, despite my home airport being SFO, and in light of the ongoing customer-service problems post-merger, I am coming to the conclusion that UA employees are borderline sabotaging their employer. Get your acts together people!

This is consistent with the customer service philosophy that the customer is the enemy. Until management and labor work *together* to change this philosophy the customer experience will not change. Period.

kgaiflyer

Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:21 pm

Quoting ABQopsHP (Reply 25):
I believe the IAD agents are outsourced to Air Wisconsin

And yet, the Air Wisconsin people operating ELP are so nice.

They remember and greet me by name even though I'm only there every other month.

mm320cap

Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:26 pm

Quoting AirCalSNA (Reply 21):

Seeing as how you have sworn off United, how would you have a clue? You are wrong, by the way. TERRIBLE management decisions have derailed the operations this summer. It's the worst I've ever seen. Not enough parts, not enough spare airplanes, not enough people, a computer system that fails to provide the employees with the tools to effectively do their jobs... THESE are the issues.

I'm in the pointy end, and get to close the door, so I don't have to bear the brunt of the disaster except that it's embarrassing to try to explain to my fare paying passengers why it takes an hour to get a maintenance release document (1 person qualified to sign off the A320 in IAH... great choice by some bean counter). I see the agents every day, however, and many of them are hanging on by their teeth until the new software is installed.

But I get it.... this is A-net, so it MUST be the employees fault!

flightopsguy

Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:02 am

Quoting mm320cap (Reply 28):
Seeing as how you have sworn off United, how would you have a clue? You are wrong, by the way. TERRIBLE management decisions have derailed the operations this summer. It's the worst I've ever seen. Not enough parts, not enough spare airplanes, not enough people, a computer system that fails to provide the employees with the tools to effectively do their jobs... THESE are the issues.

Bingo. The front line employees are holding the ship together as best they can. We've been flying UAL since the 1960's and this is even worse than the summer of 2000. Been on several recent flights when the only method of finalizing the load was to count open seats (disregarding what was in SHARES) and put on the standbys.
A300-330 BAC111/146/J31/41 B99/1900 CV580 B707-777 DC8/9/10 L188/1011 FH227/28/100 SB340 DO228 EMB2/170 CR2-900 SH330-60

ssteve

Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:25 am

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 27):
And yet, the Air Wisconsin people operating ELP are so nice.

IAD A gates were indeed Air Wisconsin-- it was bad enough that I looked at their badges. However, it's not like they're all forthright jerks-- they seemed rather upbeat that night, most pleasant-- it's just that it seemed so routine for them to be blithely working through the last bank of the day with zero regard for the breathless runners coming over from mainline. Such an easy way to avoid ticking off several dozen people. And yet it was, oh, ya missed it, go wait in line to be dealt with by other Air Wisconsin employees. And I have no truck with the way the dealt with it past that point. Me and everyone else from my flight that missed a connection ended up in a hotel, because it was not 1st-order weather related. Total money-burning waste.

ssteve

Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:32 am

Quoting mm320cap (Reply 28):
I'm in the pointy end, and get to close the door, so I don't have to bear the brunt of the disaster except that it's embarrassing to try to explain to my fare paying passengers why it takes an hour to get a maintenance release document (1 person qualified to sign off the A320 in IAH... great choice by some bean counter). I see the agents every day, however, and many of them are hanging on by their teeth until the new software is installed.

But I get it.... this is A-net, so it MUST be the employees fault!

I tend to think that perhaps because the employees/contractors have been fighting a running battle with software or other operational changes all summer, they have a little less time left for the customer. And extenuating circumstances regarded, still sucks for the customer, even if the employees have been set up to fail.

C767P

Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:09 am

Quoting ABQopsHP (Reply 25):
If believe the IAD agents are outsourced to Air Wisconsin. So if its a Vendor then they are less likely to go above and beyond.

Good luck finding any United agent willing to go above and beyond. Good luck finding one that isn’t rude and mean to you!

blueflyer

Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:53 am

here isn't much to complain about until you get a rotten FA. And that is rare, but it does happen.

It is my experience that some of these rotten F/As are high-seniority employees and choose the same route regularly, a route I used to ply frequently. After another umpteenth experience where the BusinessFirst F/As disappeared from public view in between meal services, I decided to fly the competition on TATL flights.

I still fly UA domestic though. Based on my individual situation, I have no reason to believe I'd be better off on AA despite their status match.

And that said-- do they teach gate agents to at least say, "I'm sorry?" Because there was none of that...

Apparently it's even internal. I was on a flight ex IAD that was running a bit behind due to a late arriving flight crew. I didn't think much of it, even when the crew arrived with coffee in hand. When a flight attendant decided to tease the captain about being late, he replied rather curtly that she should try walking from C7 to D26. Having walked from C3 without stopping for coffee, I wasn't amused...
Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has no clothes.

dstc47

Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:44 am

My recent experiences have led me to wonder.

Flight cancelled, rebooked for next day but not informed, mostly very disinterested agents, some downright rude - one unable to follow an eticket. Gates changed to far ends of the airport, wrong flights on destination boards at gates (showing SFO and actually going to MAN), flights delayed and overbooked. Did I complain? No you usually know when you are wasting your time.

[Edited 2012-08-12 00:47:40]

FlyASAGuy2005
Topic Author

Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:15 pm

Just of note, I would have though the likes of JFK and EWR would have the worst on-time rates but it was actually Dulles.
What gets measured gets done.

BC77008

Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:22 pm

Quoting blueflyer (Reply 33):

You were already delayed so a cup of coffee should be ok. I mean c'mon it's your captain!

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 35):

Dulles airport is notorious in our system for fuckery and shenanigans! I cringe every time I see it on my pairing.
"He waited his whole damn life to take that flight. And as the plane crashed down he thought 'Well isn't this nice...'"

BC77008

Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:35 pm

Double post
Double post

[Edited 2012-08-12 07:37:47]
"He waited his whole damn life to take that flight. And as the plane crashed down he thought 'Well isn't this nice...'"

RyanairGuru

Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:47 pm

Having watched this merger closely from a difference, I was interested to catch my first post-merger United (albeit ExpressJet) flight yesterday. I've heard my fair share of horror stories myself, my mother is 1K and in June one of her reservations "dissappeared" somewhere between her boarding a plane in MSY and catching her connecting flight in IAH. Somehow it just got cancelled, something which nobody in United (either at the gate or on the phone) could explain. However, I have to say on one observation in good weather that when things go smoothly there is nothing especially wrong with UA, and my "normal" experience yesterday to my mom's "normal" experience in April aren't even comparable.

I have no doubt that the ship is still leaking, but it seems that they're starting to patch it up. Kudos to the front line staff who are working hard to make it work
Worked Hard, Flew Right

iowaman

Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:25 pm

I think it's a bit drastic to say it's from first to worst, but tracking consumer complaints seems to be a good way to track customer satisfaction. Some of these stories on here don't sound so great, either. I haven't flown UA for a couple years, so I really can't comment personally.

While on the note of UA, United subbed a 739 for a 735 on LAS-IAD today. Surprised it has the legs to do so (east bound is much shorter flight time though).

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL1577

Edit: There is also a 735 on EWR-SEA today, wow: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL1526

[Edited 2012-08-12 11:57:20]

N353SK

Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:44 pm

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 24):

The A Terminal Continental Express flights are handled by DGS. Every other Continental (and Express) flight out of BCDE is handled by a Continental employee.

ual777

Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:01 pm

Quoting N353SK (Reply 40):

The A Terminal Continental Express flights are handled by DGS. Every other Continental (and Express) flight out of BCDE is handled by a Continental employee.

IAD A gates are handled by Air Wisconsin while A gates in IAH are handled by DGS. BTW, Continental doesn't exist anymore.

IAD's A gates are FAR worse than IAH's. Though Air Wis is trying harder lately.
It is always darkest before the sun comes up.

kgaiflyer

Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:32 pm

Repeated post.

Repeated post.

Repeated post.

[Edited 2012-08-12 12:38:07]

kgaiflyer

Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:36 pm

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 24):Over at the ground-level A gates, most of the gate agents speak multiple languages -- except clear English. Always speak to them slowly since they actually may not understand what you are saying. The Customer Service people in ground-level A are slow and exasperating -- and ( at least those that actually understand English ) seem proud of it.

I'm talking about IAD. You're talking about IAH.

See the problem?

LOWS

Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:38 pm

The A Terminal Continental Express

Are they running jets out of A now? I thought that was just the props (former 9L Q400s/ Continental Connection)

kgaiflyer

Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:53 pm

Quoting LOWS (Reply 44):
Quoting N353SK (Reply 40):The A Terminal Continental Express
Are they running jets out of A now? I thought that was just the props (former 9L Q400s/ Continental Connection)

UAX RJs have always run out of *ground-level" A . Mainline sCO jets fly out of *jetbridge" A . We're talking about two different locations.

LOWS

Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:19 pm

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 45):
UAX RJs have always run out of *ground-level" A . Mainline sCO jets fly out of *jetbridge" A . We're talking about two different locations.

I was talking about IAH, not IAD.

kgaiflyer

Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:34 pm

Quoting LOWS (Reply 46):
I was talking about IAH, not IAD.

Ah, so.

While AA, AC, AS, DL, F9, NK, and US jets depart from IAH / A -- only sCO turboprops depart from IAH / A .

ual777

Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:36 pm

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 47):

While AA, AC, AS, DL, F9, NK, and US jets depart from IAH / A -- only sCO turboprops depart from IAH / A .

Not anymore. Expressjet's 145's and 135s depart off of the former Q400 gates in IAH.
It is always darkest before the sun comes up.

Cubsrule

Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:37 pm

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 47):

No, there are some jet flights from A. I recently departed from A7 on an XE flight IAH-BNA. The south side of A seems to be all prop, and A1/2/3 seem to be mostly or all prop. The jets use the remaining CO gates on A.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more