chrisnh
Topic Author

WN Pilot, TSA Agent In 'confrontation' At MHT

Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:04 pm

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20120811/NEWS03/708119939

The story doesn't make clear who confronted whom, but the real stories are these:
1.) The MHT TSA gang seems to enjoy being 'confrontational' and they seem to enjoy exercising their power.
2.) A TSA Supervisor, echoing #1 above, declared that the TSA employee was in the right. Also, the supervisor refused to identify himself/or herself to the captain.
3.) The Southwest captain, who would know, says that the 'inspections' at MHT are autocratically severe (my words, not his...but that's what I infer from the article.

seabosdca

RE: WN Pilot, TSA Agent In 'confrontation' At MHT

Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:44 pm

Hard to tell from only this article, but after reading the article I'm inclined to say it's the pilot who is prone to confrontation. Who repeatedly gets into confrontations with even "bad" TSA? A hothead.

skywaymanaz

Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:56 pm

If the TSA supervisor refused to give his name he's wrong. Anyone going thru the checkpoint is allowed to ask the screener and the supervisor for their name.

chrisnh
Topic Author

Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:12 pm

Quoting skywaymanaz (Reply 2):
If the TSA supervisor refused to give his name he's wrong. Anyone going thru the checkpoint is allowed to ask the screener and the supervisor for their name.

That's what I'm thinking. If you're quite sure of your position, you stand up to the pilot and say, "Here. Here's my card, here's my badge. You see that video camera up there? That'll back my worker up. So, your move!"

But that's not what happened.

lat41

Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:55 pm

It is my understanding that supervisors wear badges also. It has become popular in this forum and elsewhere to TSA bash so it is no surprise that it became a story. We have probably spotted the huffy frequent or not so frequent flier or the uppity local pol, law enforcement personnel or flight crew member get a little brazen at the checkpoint. (rules dont apply to "me" type). We might even know one.

chrisnh
Topic Author

Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:05 pm

Oh, absolutely! There are LOTS of those 'Don't-You-Know-Who-I-Am?' types. Often, TV news types, who feel that their imagined 'celebrity' trumps all! But an airline captain...who wades through stuff several times each day at many different airports...is bound to notice (and react to) something 'out of the norm,' don't you agree?

HAL

Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:08 pm

Quoting lat41 (Reply 4):
We have probably spotted the huffy frequent or not so frequent flier or the uppity local pol, law enforcement personnel or flight crew member get a little brazen at the checkpoint. (rules dont apply to "me" type).

The problem with that idea is that as flight crew, we know exactly what 'the rules' are. These confrontations happen when a particular airport's TSA managers decide that they don't need to follow the rules. We go through the screening process practically every day, and know exactly what to expect. Because of that, flight crews are allowed certain priviliges, like cutting to the front of the line, or using a special crew line, among other things. When those differences are not allowed, that is when flight crews can get upset.

HAL
One smooth landing is skill. Two in a row is luck. Three in a row and someone is lying.

XFSUgimpLB41X

Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:36 pm

Quoting HAL (Reply 6):
The problem with that idea is that as flight crew, we know exactly what 'the rules' are. These confrontations happen when a particular airport's TSA managers decide that they don't need to follow the rules. We go through the screening process practically every day, and know exactly what to expect. Because of that, flight crews are allowed certain priviliges, like cutting to the front of the line, or using a special crew line, among other things. When those differences are not allowed, that is when flight crews can get upset.

Bingo. It's particularly funny when the agent tries to say "it's this way everywhere" upon trying to enforce some random local rule.

The reason I'm bringing it up is because it's not that way everywhere. If it was that way everywhere, I would just shuffle along!

Smaller stations are particularly bad with the TSA napoleon complex.
Chicks dig winglets.

Maverick623

Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:15 pm

Quote:
“A preliminary review of the situation indicates that the officer followed proper screening protocol,” said Ann Davis, TSA spokeswoman

No surprise from an agency who has never, ever, taken responsibility for anything that they or their people have done wrong.

I'm actually fairly surprised the police got the video. TSA has a habit of "losing" tapes when they break the law.

Quoting seabosdca (Reply 1):
Who repeatedly gets into confrontations with even "bad" TSA? A hothead.

So it's the victim's fault. Guess we should just shut our mouths and take it...

Quoting XFSUgimpLB41X (Reply 7):
It's particularly funny when the agent tries to say "it's this way everywhere" upon trying to enforce some random local rule.

More often than not, it's actually "our procedures are designed to be random and unpredictable".
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

chrisair

Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:22 pm

Quoting HAL (Reply 6):
We go through the screening process practically every day, and know exactly what to expect. Because of that, flight crews are allowed certain priviliges, like cutting to the front of the line, or using a special crew line, among other things. When those differences are not allowed, that is when flight crews can get upset.

I still wonder why the folks who fly the plane have to go through security. Get known crew member up and running everywhere. It'll make their lives easier and will help clear up the lines for us that don't fly the plane (for the record, I'm always willing to let the crew go ahead of me unless some of my stuff is in the x-ray already OR I'm running really late for a flight--I've never had a pilot/FA not be understanding in those cases).

Polot

Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:29 pm

Quoting chrisair (Reply 9):
I still wonder why the folks who fly the plane have to go through security. Get known crew member up and running everywhere. It'll make their lives easier and will help clear up the lines for us that don't fly the plane (for the record, I'm always willing to let the crew go ahead of me unless some of my stuff is in the x-ray already OR I'm running really late for a flight--I've never had a pilot/FA not be understanding in those cases).

While I support somewhat reduced security for crew members, no security for them is a terrible idea. The last thing we need is someone who is up to no good impersonating a crew member and getting to the plane without going through even a simple security check.

XFSUgimpLB41X

Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:31 pm

Quoting Polot (Reply 10):
While I support somewhat reduced security for crew members, no security for them is a terrible idea. The last thing we need is someone who is up to no good impersonating a crew member and getting to the plane without going through even a simple security check.

How many rampers and other airport ground workers do you think go through security?
Chicks dig winglets.

chrisair

Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:36 pm

The last thing we need is someone who is up to no good impersonating a crew member and getting to the plane without going through even a simple security check.

You have no idea how known crew member works. They actually verify someone's employment.

aztrainer

Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:26 pm

Wow, This is a good one. The TSA actually gave the local police the case and the video. I agree with HAL that the flight crew knows how to operate in the security lines and would know if there is a irregularity. This pilot has had run-in's with the TSA at this airport, so his defenses were up. He did not raise his voice or call attention to himself, so it was probably a case of a TSA agent and supervisor pushing his buttons.

I feel sorry for the good TSA agents that I have run across, because they have to take the heat for actions like these from less skilled people.

blueflyer

Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:43 pm

Quoting XFSUgimpLB41X (Reply 7):
It's particularly funny when the agent tries to say "it's this way everywhere" upon trying to enforce some random local rule.

For a look at a comical and clueless face, try asking when was the last time they went anywhere... Did it once. Priceless!

Quoting chrisair (Reply 12):
You have no idea how known crew member works. They actually verify someone's employment.

Not a good idea until it works everywhere. Right now, most airports still can't tell whether an ID card is home-made and a pilot uniform rented from a party store.

Quoting chrisair (Reply 9):
I still wonder why the folks who fly the plane have to go through security.

For the same reason the secret service agents assigned to the White House go through security (just to mention one of many examples where employees are scanned to get access into the very site they're intended to protect).

Pilots are not super-human heroes, they're people. People can be blackmailed, coerced, brainwashed, threatened, you name it... A pilot may be the most security conscious pilot in the world until someone kidnaps his family ans tells him he'll recover only bones unless he smuggles a gun through security and gives it to someone else on the other side. Far fetched? Of course, but so was flying aircraft into buildings a few years ago.

If you'd like, where I wrote pilots, you can substitute rampers, fast food employees, gate agents, and whoever else you feel like. This isn't a defense of the TSA, by the way.

(and please, let's not bring up the crash ax, White House secret service agents have guns inside the White House too)
Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has no clothes.

Polot

Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:34 pm

Quoting XFSUgimpLB41X (Reply 11):
How many rampers and other airport ground workers do you think go through security?

That is a red herring. Ramp security is an entirely different issue that is much more difficult than the terminal, but is something that everyone is trying to improve on. Just because they don't have to go through security doesn't mean we should just say screw it and let all employees go through with little security. The goal is balancing security with convenience. I'm not saying that pilots/FAs need to have full body scans and cavity searches every time, but it is hardly unreasonable to expect them to go through a metal detector and have their bags go through an X-ray scanner. Employees at many other jobs have to do the exact same thing every time they go to work.

So because they work for an airline they are automatically gods capable of doing no harm? Again it is about balancing security and convenience. Yes pilots have access to deadly weapons (the crash ax and the controls of the plane), but that doesn't mean we should let them bring whatever they want on board.

There is also (understandably) a large focus on deadly weapons here when talking about security, but don't forget drugs. Or do you believe that all airline employees are angels who would never smuggle drugs? No security (other than an ID check) would make that (potentially high paying) option incredibly attractive for some.
Quoting blueflyer (Reply 14):
Pilots are not super-human heroes, they're people. People can be blackmailed, coerced, brainwashed, threatened, you name it... A pilot may be the most security conscious pilot in the world until someone kidnaps his family ans tells him he'll recover only bones unless he smuggles a gun through security and gives it to someone else on the other side. Far fetched? Of course, but so was flying aircraft into buildings a few years ago.

Again, I'm not advocating for full body strip searches for employees, but security checks beyond an ID check is not an unreasonable expectation.

seabosdca

Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:19 pm

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 8):
So it's the victim's fault. Guess we should just shut our mouths and take it...

You are assuming the pilot is the "victim." All of us have a confrontation once in awhile. But when we are given the information that the particular pilot in question has a history of repeated confrontations, it makes me think it is likely that the pilot is a hothead. Most people, even crew who go through every day, don't have TSA confrontations on a frequent basis.

Now this is just one piece of evidence and we'd need a lot more to evaluate the situation fairly, but based only on this article I doubt the pilot is a blameless "victim."

cmf

Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:49 pm

Quoting blueflyer (Reply 14):

It isn't more far fetched than anything else. No matter what we think about terrorists motivation we should never make the mistake to think they are stupid. Create a hole in the security and it will be exploited.
Don’t repeat earlier generations mistakes. Learn history for a better future.

SUPRAZACHAIR

Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:13 am

Quoting Polot (Reply 15):

So because they work for an airline they are automatically gods capable of doing no harm? Again it is about balancing security and convenience. Yes pilots have access to deadly weapons (the crash ax and the controls of the plane), but that doesn't mean we should let them bring whatever they want on board.

Your paranoia is both comical and sad. How many passengers go through the full criminal background check we go through. Fingerprinting, employment history verification, full national driving record verification, residential history verification, PRIA.... shall I go on? You understand the basis for KCM is that if we are cleared by TSA to jumpseat (via CASS verification), we can clear security. Is it your belief then that we should have a TSA agent frisk us before we jumpseat? You're out of touch and dead wrong. Frankly, your assertion that us promoting the nationwide implementation of KCM makes us believe we are "gods" is insulting, and reflects more on you than it does on us.

aeroblogger

Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:18 am

Quoting Polot (Reply 15):

That is a red herring. Ramp security is an entirely different issue that is much more difficult than the terminal, but is something that everyone is trying to improve on. Just because they don't have to go through security doesn't mean we should just say screw it and let all employees go through with little security.

Why not? If there is a gaping security breach at every single airport (airport workers), then what's the point in harassing passengers and crew in the name of "security"?
Airports 2012: IXE HYD DEL BLR BOM CCU KNU KTM BKK SIN ICN LAX BUR SFO PHX IAH ORD EWR PHL PVD BOS FRA MUC IST

Polot

Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:54 am

Quoting suprazachair (Reply 18):

What is comical and sad is how you think I am paranoid and think pilots are out to get us. I never said that implementing KCM makes you believe that you are gods, I was just pointing out that there are always going to be people with perfect fingerprinting, employment history verification, full national driving record verification, residential history verification, PRIA who have bad intentions. I have no criminal record, a clean employment history, a clean driving record, and a spotless residential/rental history. How do you know that I am also not a drug smuggler who hasn't been caught yet?

As I stated earlier, I support crew members having slightly relaxed security security standards and don't think full body scans/reaches are necessary. KCM should be used a tool to enhance security, not take the place of security. I think that and a simple metal detector and X-ray bag scanner is more than sufficient for crew members. If you think that is too much you can cry me a river because pilots are hardly the only professions put in a similar position.

Quoting aeroblogger (Reply 19):
Why not? If there is a gaping security breach at every single airport (airport workers), then what's the point in harassing passengers and crew in the name of "security"?

So your solution is to just eliminate all security because there is one security flaw? Why don't we work on trying to close or minimize that security breach instead to make everyone safer? I'm sure there are a ton of people trying to develop practical, feasible, and cost effective methods to make the ramp a safer and more secure place for everyone involved.

We can debate the extent of security that should be present, but to argue that there should be none is ridiculous. Airport security has been around for decades, it is not a new thing based on relatively recent events or as a result of a sudden police state.

aeroblogger

Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:00 am

Quoting Polot (Reply 20):

So your solution is to just eliminate all security because there is one security flaw?

Certainly not. If the theater was abolished, there would be widespread panic. Everyday passengers would not "feel safe" flying any more, especially if they happened to be sitting near a passenger with brown skin.

I just think that if they are going to have the theater, they could at least have the courtesy to not harass passengers during it.
Airports 2012: IXE HYD DEL BLR BOM CCU KNU KTM BKK SIN ICN LAX BUR SFO PHX IAH ORD EWR PHL PVD BOS FRA MUC IST

Polot

Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:24 am

Quoting aeroblogger (Reply 21):
I just think that if they are going to have the theater, they could at least have the courtesy to not harass passengers during it.

I'm in complete agreement with you there, although I have never personally been harassed or felt harassed by the TSA before (the rudest security people I ever encountered were actually in BRU). But I was discussing more the actual security policies in place in for crew methods, not the attitude in which authorities carry them out. That is a completely separate issue that needs to be dealt with more on a case by case/regional basis (NYC security are generally always going to come across as ruder than say somewhere in the Midwest).

spink

Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:57 am

Until we are in a full quarantined airside system (everything and everyone is fully inspected before access to airside including any private air side), it makes little sense to put pilots and FAs through full security beyond identity and credential checking. And nobody cares about security enough to do a full quarantine system because of the significant effects it would have on commercial aviation.

alitaliadc10

Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:32 am

The TSA seems to get a lot bad press and I'm sure there are instances where they are on a power trip but from 90% of my flights in the USA I have never found any TSA to be particularly nasty or rude. I think the key is to just to be prepared at the check point and it's pretty smooth sailing. Just came back from LAX and also SFO - no problems with TSA.
Orbis non sufficit

PanHAM

Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:05 am

Quoting spink (Reply 24):
And nobody cares about security enough to do a full quarantine system because of the significant effects it would have on commercial aviation.

So how come the USA is imposing this system upon foreign airports? each and every mechanic, ramp agent, loader etc. has to undergo full inspection when enetering the airside restricted aerea at airports in europe, and I am sure in other ae´reas of nthe world as well. The persons might have to undergo this treatment a dozen times a day if they move back and forth. That on the background of detailed security checks before a red swipe card is issued to anyone who is granted access to the sterile area.

It is always amazing to see that the country that forces this kind of BS to the rest of the world upholds lesser security standards inside its own boundaries.

The rest of the world should embargo US carriers before the same standards are set into practise there.