mikect

What's Going On Here? T-6 In Anchorage

Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:37 pm

Does anyone know if there was a story behind this picture? I imagine it was during an airshow. The wing seems to be about 6 inches off the ground and they seem a bit pitched-down as well. It just seems a little too close for comfort.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © C.L. Weldy

AA737-823

RE: What's Going On Here? T-6 In Anchorage

Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:52 pm

I wasn't able to go to the show, sadly, but I suspect it's a carefully cropped optical illusion. I don't think the photo encompasses the surface of the earth quite the way our eyes are perceiving it.
But I definitely did a double-take when I saw it, too!

flyboyseven

Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:45 am

I definitely saw the same illusion. I think that what appears to be a shadow is just a darker patch on the runway behind. If you look at it, there is no way that it can be the shadow of the plane as it is just a simple rectangle.

Cheers,

Graham
As long as the number of take-offs equals the number of landings...you're doing fine.

757luver

Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:43 am

Quoting flyboyseven (Reply 2):

I definitely saw the same illusion. I think that what appears to be a shadow is just a darker patch on the runway behind. If you look at it, there is no way that it can be the shadow of the plane as it is just a simple rectangle.

It definately looks like a patch in the runway, also looks like the plane is actually over the grassy part of the field too.
Long live the 757!

mikect

Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:47 pm

Quoting flyboyseven (Reply 2):
I think that what appears to be a shadow is just a darker patch on the runway behind. If you look at it, there is no way that it can be the shadow of the plane as it is just a simple rectangle.

Wow. I had to stare at it for a while, but I see what you mean. It looks like there is probably telephoto compression adding to the illusion.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos