mikect

What's Going On Here? T-6 In Anchorage

Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:37 pm

Does anyone know if there was a story behind this picture? I imagine it was during an airshow. The wing seems to be about 6 inches off the ground and they seem a bit pitched-down as well. It just seems a little too close for comfort.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © C.L. Weldy

AA737-823

RE: What's Going On Here? T-6 In Anchorage

Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:52 pm

I wasn't able to go to the show, sadly, but I suspect it's a carefully cropped optical illusion. I don't think the photo encompasses the surface of the earth quite the way our eyes are perceiving it.
But I definitely did a double-take when I saw it, too!

flyboyseven

Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:45 am

I definitely saw the same illusion. I think that what appears to be a shadow is just a darker patch on the runway behind. If you look at it, there is no way that it can be the shadow of the plane as it is just a simple rectangle.

Cheers,

Graham
As long as the number of take-offs equals the number of landings...you're doing fine.

757luver

Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:43 am

Quoting flyboyseven (Reply 2):

I definitely saw the same illusion. I think that what appears to be a shadow is just a darker patch on the runway behind. If you look at it, there is no way that it can be the shadow of the plane as it is just a simple rectangle.

It definately looks like a patch in the runway, also looks like the plane is actually over the grassy part of the field too.
Long live the 757!

mikect

Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:47 pm

Quoting flyboyseven (Reply 2):
I think that what appears to be a shadow is just a darker patch on the runway behind. If you look at it, there is no way that it can be the shadow of the plane as it is just a simple rectangle.

Wow. I had to stare at it for a while, but I see what you mean. It looks like there is probably telephoto compression adding to the illusion.