FCAA321
Topic Author

Rumour.. BA Announce CMB And A New Long Haul Route

Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:37 am

BA are today due to announce a return to CMB and an additional long haul route.

CMB to be a 3 weekly tag on to the current MLE from LGW.

My speculations were Kuala Lumpur, Ghangzhou, Harare or Santiago. Many of you had come up with Portland, Fort Lauderdale and Durban..

Any more guesses what it could be?

Thanks

[Edited 2012-08-15 12:05:45 by srbmod]

CHRISBA777ER

RE: Rumour.. BA Announce CMB And A New Long Haul Route

Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:10 am

I'll go BOG or CCS. Maybe SCL.
What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

SCL767

Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:18 am

Quoting CHRISBA777ER (Reply 1):
I'll go BOG or CCS. Maybe SCL.

International traffic continues to increase at both BOG and SCL. LON-BOG would be a good addition since it would deter LAN's rival from launching BOG-LGW. But I certainly would not rule out SCL. Maybe this will become a regular site at SCL:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Andrés Contador - AirTeamImages

Bongodog1964

Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:23 am

Can't see Fort Lauderdale being high on the list, BA already have a good service to Miami which is only 25 miles away. Harare is a big no whilst Mugabe is still drawing breath. . My money is on a China route.

seansasLCY

Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:25 am

I would like to see Guangzhou but with China Southern increasing to daily that looks unlikely. Could BA follow KLM's lead and launch a smaller Chinese city? Kunming has a brand new airport and no Europe service and is quite a big city. Chengdu, Chongqing, Shenyang and Hangzhou all have links to Europe. Sadly I think BA will act conservatively on this and probably add another US city.

CHRISBA777ER

Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:32 am

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 3):
Can't see Fort Lauderdale being high on the list, BA already have a good service to Miami which is only 25 miles away. Harare is a big no whilst Mugabe is still drawing breath. . My money is on a China route.

I could totally see a CAN. Perhaps a KIX? Dont see KUL now that MH have joined OneWorld and are sending their A380s LHR-KUL.

Other ideas -

HKT from LGW. (772ER?)
TPE from LHR again? (772ER?)
MNL from LHR non-stop? Long shot this one.(744?)
PDX from LHR i could certainly see. (763ER?)
KHI from LHR (772ER?)
DAC from LHR (772ER?)
DUR from LGW (772ER)
NBO from LGW (772ER)
What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

Summa767

Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:44 am

We'll see. Maybe CCS and BOG.

Quoting SCL767 (Reply 2):
LON-BOG would be a good addition since it would deter LAN's rival from launching BOG-LGW

Do you realise the tosh that you write? It would be a good addition *beacuse* it would deter another airline from launching a route? How petty of you.

I would say welcome to BA in BOG, CCS or SCL or all of them. It would be good for trade, culture and tourism. Not because it will prevent plans by another airline that apparently upsets your beloved LAN. Grow up once and for all.

seansasLCY

Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:48 am

Quoting summa767 (Reply 6):
Do you realise the tosh that you write? It would be a good addition *beacuse* it would deter another airline from launching a route? How petty of you.

I would say welcome to BA in BOG, CCS or SCL or all of them. It would be good for trade, culture and tourism. Not because it will prevent plans by another airline that apparently upsets your beloved LAN. Grow up once and for all.

I'm sorry but there really is no need for that. Lots of airlines launch services to stop other carriers. Look at AA's service to STN which ended soon after Maxjet and Eos went. If Avianca launch BOG-LHR it would also take connecting traffic that may have used BA or partner carriers therefore it can be in BA's interest to keep the airline off the route.

SCL767

Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:51 am

Quoting summa767 (Reply 6):

Indeed, AV applies for frequencies that they'll never use and could use a good reality check. If BA were to launch LHR-BOG, AV wouldn't be able to enter the BOG-LON market. Also, it might be a way of cementing a new relationship with LAN. Similar to LH launching FRA-BOG to cement a relationship with AV.

Summa767

Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:09 am

Quoting SCL767 (Reply 8):
Indeed, AV applies for frequencies that they'll never use and could use a good reality check. If BA were to launch LHR-BOG, AV wouldn't be able to enter the BOG-LON market

I don't really care who serves the route, and on the contrary would welcome anybody who does, and in particular BA.
But let us not get ahead of ourselves. There are many candidates as new BA destinations.

However, if BA does enter the LON-BOG route, it would not prevent AV from launching its own. You may not be aware, but a few weeks ago they topped up their A330 orders, so 9 new ones are coming, on top of the 787s and A350s.So growth will continue, and LHR continues to be a candidate pending slot acquisition (they actually rejected LGW, which I think it's a shame as it's a great airport)
Whilst BA would be able to connect BOG to Europe and beyond via LON. AV would still have a market where they would easily connect London with Colombia, Venezuela, Panama, Costa Rica, Ecuador and Peru which are not served directly from the UK.
So I am afraid that BA launching routes might not have your desired result, though it would sure have benefits in trade, tourism and culture.

migair54

Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:32 pm

Quoting CHRISBA777ER (Reply 5):
NBO from LGW (772ER)

Already serve from LHR and now VS is cancelling the filgts and KQ reducing freqs....

I think Manila could be a good destination, also Karachi and DAC, but the problem in the last 2 is filling the front of the plane.

-TPE could be good but i don´t see it happening.

-KUL, no way.... A380 on the way with MH.

AIR MALTA

Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:40 pm

When is this announcement gonna happen?
Next flights : BRU-ZRH-CAI (LX)/ BRU-FCO-TLV (AZ)

goldcrest

Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:42 pm

Now confirmed on BA Intranet.

CMB to be served 3 times weekly, via Male.

Jonathanxxxx

Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:43 pm

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 3):

At around the time a flight from LHR to FLL would arrive at FLL it is peak time, it would be really congested and I'm pretty sure Spirit would be using all the FIS gates. If British Airways were to come to FLL, I'd imagine it being once the runway extension is done and once T-4 is expanded. So I think it's safe to say FLL isn't really high on their list.

jumpjets

Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:17 pm

According to route news on ba.com:

'From 31 March 2012, we'll be flying three times a week from London Gatwick to Colombo, Sri Lanka via Male in the Maldive Islands.'

It seems they have been flying there for nearly five months already and nobody has noticed... wonder where they have been hiding the plane and its passengers.  

Its unusual for BA to introduce a new tag on, when this was first suggested a few weeks back I was half expecting it to be a triangular route.

FCAA321
Topic Author

Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:17 pm

British Airways Resumes Sri Lanka Service from late-March 2013 - Now confirmed!

British Airways from 31MAR13 is resuming service to Sri Lanka, after 15 years of service suspension. The oneWorld member will extend existing 3 weekly London Gatwick – MAle service to Colombo, although it does not have local traffic rights on Male – Colombo sector.

Schedule:

BA2043 LGW+1935 – 0950+1MLE1050+1 – 1245+1CMB 777 357
BA2042 CMB1415 – 1515MLE1630 – 2305

[Edited 2012-08-15 07:18:24]

AIR MALTA

Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:27 pm

Quoting FCAA321 (Reply 15):
British Airways from 31MAR13 is resuming service to Sri Lanka, after 15 years of service suspension. The oneWorld member will extend existing 3 weekly London Gatwick – MAle service to Colombo, although it does not have local traffic rights on Male – Colombo sector.

Schedule:

BA2043 LGW+1935 – 0950+1MLE1050+1 – 1245+1CMB 777 357
BA2042 CMB1415 – 1515MLE1630 – 2305

Well, they should get local rights for CMB to MLE as any other airline is doing that. And a sigh of relief for the crews that will still enjoy their Maldives stop overs and this time a little bit longer  

AIR MALTA

Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:31 pm

Unfortunately, there won't be any domestic connections if the flight lands at 2305.

vectismanpaul

Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:40 pm

I wonder if the route to Colombo does well it may see some non-stop services eventually. Maybe alternate LGW/MLE/CMB AND LGW/CMB/MLE routings. I think BA are targeting the up market tourist sector with these flights initially. Apparently several long haul holiday companies have their offices near Gatwick. As for connecting flights there are many holiday makers who will happily spend night in a hotel after such along flight and fly to say Man/Ed/Jersey/Glas the next day. Connections outwards will be fine.

As to the other route possibilities from Gatwick, the Seychelles would plug another gap. This route always did well under BCAL and then BA. There is also no competition from Air Seychelles. Get in their before Emirates takes it all via Dubai!!
Some people have also suggested FLL is too near Miami/Tampa etc. I do not think that matters if you are targeting the higher yielding tourist sector or allow for connections from FLL onwards.
Maybe as a couple of 777s are being replaced at LHR by the new mid haul
A321 product there could be scope to see 777 airframes at Gatwick upped to 11 sometime during 2013.

SANFan

Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:59 pm

Quoting FCAA321 (Thread starter):

So any idea about the second part of your OP statement? Are you still standing by your prediction?

bb

vv701

Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:13 pm

Quoting vectismanpaul (Reply 18):
I think BA are targeting the up market tourist sector with these flights initially. Apparently several long haul holiday companies have their offices near Gatwick.

For BA the most important of these companies is British Airways Holidays Ltd that are located at Astral Towers just off London Road, Crawley, little more than a stone's throw from LGW.

I think that the success of this extension from MLE to CMB will primarily depend on British Airways Holidays success, particularly with regard to creating a good balance in the ratio of holidays sold in the Maldives and in Sri Lanka.

anstar

Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:24 pm

Interesting move... Did MLE have poor loads? Seems strange to add a tag onto a flight without even increasing the frequency??

CHRISBA777ER

Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:32 pm

Quoting migair54 (Reply 10):
Quoting CHRISBA777ER (Reply 5):
NBO from LGW (772ER)

Already serve from LHR and now VS is cancelling the filgts and KQ reducing freqs....

I know that but as a bucket and space charter-style arrangement with a load of seats sold off to the holiday companies i think it could work. Leave the expensive yields for LHR.

ACES320

Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:38 pm

Quoting seansasLCY

"I'm sorry but there really is no need for that. Lots of airlines launch services to stop other carriers."

You have to look at this comment with some retrospective. If you check previous forums where these members have
had the chance to have civilized debates about AV there is always something going wrong at some point. I am talking about hardline LA fans on the one hand and the rest of the world on the other.

Quoting SLC767

"Indeed, AV applies for frequencies that they'll never use and could use a good reality check. "

Same way some carriers enter markets to deter other carriers from getting access (check example above AA at STN), some other carriers apply for frequencies tactically to protect their networks and market share. See BA stronghold at LHR as an example, or some odd cases where BD operated "ghost flights" just to comply the usage quota and avoid being deprived from their valuable allocated slots.

Now everybody please calm down and stop taking things too personally.
LHR, BHX, EDI, BKK, USM, CNX, PHU, GRU,PEI, BOG, CTG, CPH, AMS, DOH, DXB, FRA, MAD and always PEI

ACES320

Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:44 pm

Now, are BA finally bringing planes back from the dessert or the downgauging of CAI and TLV to the former BD 321 is providing some slack and flexibility in the Long-haul fleet to allow them to make these route announcements?
LHR, BHX, EDI, BKK, USM, CNX, PHU, GRU,PEI, BOG, CTG, CPH, AMS, DOH, DXB, FRA, MAD and always PEI

TC957

Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:52 pm

My thoughts for the extra new destination is somewhere in China - Guangzhou, Shenyang or Kunming possibilities, Willie Walsh has often stated how he'd like to see more direct BA routes there.
MNL is almost a ULR route from London and will be quite low-yield, so don't see it. Pretty much tied up with the likes of QR/EK/EY via their hubs.
KIX would mark a return for BA, could work with a JAL code-shared agreement and using a 772 instead of a 744.

rutankrd

Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:56 pm

Quoting ACES320 (Reply 24):
Now, are BA finally bringing planes back from the dessert or the downgauging of CAI and TLV to the former BD 321 is providing some slack and flexibility in the Long-haul fleet to allow them to make these route announcements?

They have just two in the desert. If they were returned to service it's more because of the A388 delay not because of route expansion.

So far the only new service of significance is Seoul and that's using a 77E .

vectismanpaul

Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:11 pm

To my knowledge BA now only have 3 Boeing 747 aircraft in storage VCW(Hope I got the initials correct!!) I personally do not believe they will be coming back as they have been there a long time and would need a great deal of expensive work before service re-entry. BA have several new A380 and 787 aircraft coming into service during the course of 2013. Some of the ex A321 aircraft are being reconfigured to be used as a new mid haul product. This will free up several 777 and maybe 767. Some ex BMI routes have also been dropped which increases fleet flexibility. So for 2013 I believe BA will have sufficient aircraft for their expansion needs. One or two 777 aircraft may make their way to Gatwick depending on further long haul route expansion. Maybe more A319 from LHR will help out at LGW during the summer of 2013(in addition to the usual 3 that spend Summer there) pending the review of LGW short haul requirements. Willie Walsh did hint at recent investors presentation that LGW business plan and SH fleet decision was timetabled for around 2nd quarter 2013. All in all its looking do-able.
V.

[Edited 2012-08-15 10:24:32]

ACES320

Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:24 pm

The IAG annual report on BA's fleet shows 52 planes on service at 31 December 2011.
My understanding is that the fleet peaked at 57 and technically these birds could be brought back into service if necessary.

Check page 77 at

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External...M1MjM0fENoaWxkSUQ9LTF8VHlwZT0z&t=1

About the 777 fleet I am not aware of any aircraft being parked but if someone can shed some light on this it would be kindly appreciated

vectismanpaul

Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:42 pm

According to http://www.jethros.org.uk/ three Boeing 747s remain in storage in the desert. Two 747s were scrapped at Cardiff in 2011. That leaves the 52 aircraft in service at the moment.
V.

rutankrd

Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:43 pm

Quoting ACES320 (Reply 28):

The IAG annual report on BA's fleet shows 52 planes on service at 31 December 2011.
My understanding is that the fleet peaked at 57 and technically these birds could be brought back into service if necessary.

Check page 77 at

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External...M0fENoaWxkSUQ9LTF8VHlwZT0z&t=1

About the 777 fleet I am not aware of any aircraft being parked but if someone can shed some light on this it would be kindly appreciated

2 no of those 57 are in bits (Scrapped) at Cardiff, another also at Cardiff in long term storage , 2 no the desert returnable and one G-BNLH in need of very extensive "D" check if it were to return to service.

Whilst no 777s are in storage two 772a models did leave the fleet some years ago. One has been scrapped and one is currently operating with the Gabon Government B777 as TR-KPR

GSTBA

Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:03 pm

Quoting CHRISBA777ER (Reply 1):
Maybe SCL.

Heard today from a reliable source that BA will announce SCL from LHR in the next week or two. The flight is likely to operate somewhere between 4 & 7 x weekly As with CMB this flight is expected to be operated as a extension of the existing route, more than likely GRU. At the moment the aircraft that ops BA's flight to GRU arrives at 05:20 then sits at GRU doing nothing until 16:15 when it departs back to LHR. All BA would need to do to make the GRU-SCL-GRU sectors possible is make a slight change to the LHR-GRU sectors departure time. If BA made this slight change then the schedule is likely to look something like this:

BA247 LHR 21:15 04:45 GRU 06:00 SCL 09:00 747

BA246 SCL 10:35 15:05 GRU 16:15 LHR 07:20 747

Operating SCL in this way would mean BA would not have to find a extra aircraft to operate the route.

Quoting ACES320 (Reply 28):

BA have not parked nor do they have any plans to park any of there 777 fleet.

However BA have been temporarily removing a GE powered 772ER fitted with the old GMIS IFE system from service for a period of approx 4-6 weeks for some months now. This is so that the aircraft can undergo a complete cabin refit which will see 77W style cabins and the new Thales IFE system fitted. Below is a list of the aircraft that will undergo refurbishment along with there status.

CWL = Currently at CWL for cabin refit
NEW = Aircraft fitted with new F, WTP & WT products and Thales AVOD system
OLD = Aircraft fitted with old F, WTP and WT product and GMIS non AVOD IFE system.

G-RAES - NEW - Returned to service 07/06/12
G-VIIA - NEW - Returned to service 13/01/12
G-VIIB - CWL - Arrived 23/7 expected to return to service late August or early September
G-VIIC - OLD
G-VIID - OLD
G-VIIE - OLD
G-VIIF - OLD
G-VIIG - NEW - Returned to service 06/06/12
G-VIIH - OLD
G-VIIJ - NEW - Returned to service 03/08/12
G-VIIK - NEW - Returned to service 06/07/12
G-VIIL - NEW - Returned to service 25/04/12
G-VIIM - CWL - Arrived 03/8 expected to return to service first week of September
G-VIIN - OLD
G-VIIS - OLD
G-ZZZA - OLD
G-ZZZB - OLD
G-ZZZC - OLD
Quoting vectismanpaul (Reply 27):
BA have several new A380 and 787 aircraft coming into service during the course of 2013.

Below is a list of aircraft that BA are expected to take delivery of during 2013. NOTE: Dates shown are estimated and subject to change

A380

G-XLEA - Due 3Q2013
G-XLEB - Due late 3Q or early 4Q2013
G-XLEC - Due 4Q2013

77W

G-STBG - Due September 2013
G-STBH - Due November 2013

787-8

G-ZBJA - Due 3Q2013
G-ZBJB - Due 3Q2013
G-ZBJC - Due late 3Q2013
G-ZBJD - Due 4Q2013

SANFan

Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:24 pm

Quoting GSTBA (Reply 31):
Heard today from a reliable source that BA will announce SCL from LHR in the next week or two.

Let me make sure I've got this straight. Now we wait to see if YOUR "relaible source" is any more so than the OP's...

bb

FCAA321
Topic Author

Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:57 pm

Quoting SANFan (Reply 32):

Actually my source came true and I am sure that SCL will be true as I had heard this too, unfortunately the planned announcement didn't happen today as planned.

It would be great if any comments passed could be worded nicely instead of so blatantly patronising.

Let's just wait and see what the future holds as I am sure with BA they usually announce in stages.

runway23

Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:11 pm

BA247 LHR 21:15 04:45 GRU 06:00 SCL 09:00 747

BA246 SCL 10:35 15:05 GRU 16:15 LHR 07:20 747

I have a hard time believing they would do this through GRU rather than GIG or EZE.

GIG or EZE seem like the easy solution, upgauge & retime to a 747 and extend the flight to SCL.

FlyCaledonian

Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:09 pm

Surely GIG would be a logical choice, as they could go daily with a 744 routed LHR-GIG-SCL and adjust the timings to make it a redeye both ways. Guess we'll have to wait and see though.
Let's Go British Caledonian!

pesit4a

Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:30 pm

On a related point, BA have announced a doubling of capacity on the LHR-DUB route from this winter schedule:

http://dublinairport.com/gns/at-the-...A_s_Dublin-Heathrow_Expansion.aspx

There will be up to 8 flights a day - back to the good old days of British Midland at DUB when the same frequency used to be offered.
You just can't keep a good man down!

Talaier

Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:40 pm

Quoting FCAA321 (Reply 33):
Actually my source came true and I am sure that SCL will be true as I had heard this too, unfortunately the planned announcement didn't happen today as planned.

It would be great if any comments passed could be worded nicely instead of so blatantly patronising.

Let's just wait and see what the future holds as I am sure with BA they usually announce in stages.

SCL makes sense since it sticks with IAG's strategy of reinforcing Latin America as a strategic area. However, I personally would've gone for an Asian destination.

SANFan

Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:39 pm

Let's just wait and see what the future holds...

Exactly why I very rarely pay any attention to "rumor"-threads from unknown posters that make statements such as

Quoting FCAA321 (Thread starter):

(I shoud have had a clue when the first thread was deleted because, well, never mind...)

Anyway, my bad for being interested in the topic and playing along. My apologies.

bb

edina

Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:11 am

Quoting SANFan (Reply 38):

I'm right with you there   
Worked on - Caravelle Mercure A300 A320 F27 SD3-60 BAe146 747-100/200/400 DC10-30 767 777 737-400 757 A319 A321

vv701

Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:38 am

G-RAES - NEW - Returned to service 07/06/12
G-VIIA - NEW - Returned to service 13/01/12

Wasn't it the other way round? I thought G-RAES was at CWL between 7 November and 13 January and that it was the first of the original 772s fitted with the GEC Marconi GMIS IFE System to be refurbished. I thought it was G-VIIA that was ferried to CWL on 26 April and then back to LHR on 7 June.

FCAA321
Topic Author

Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:15 am

Actually SANFan

My first thread was deleted because I didn't have any evidence to back my comments up. I had to re post with *rumour* until it was confirmed.

The unknown poster you refer to is me and that was my very first thread!

I'm actually a lot closer to things like this than you could ever imagine to be and well it's funny don't you think that my source came true...

Summa767

Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:33 am

Quoting runway23 (Reply 34):
I have a hard time believing they would do this through GRU rather than GIG or EZE.

Same here. GRU should have enough demand of its own, and in any case, getting a new slot for the SCL tag could be very tricky at such a congested airport. It would indeed make sense for SCL to be tagged on from GIG. EZE being another possibility.

Actually my source came true and I am sure that SCL will be true as I had heard this too

I trust that it will. Indeed, BA will have some further expansion to do, even if they will have to wait for new long haul aircraft to be available, which is over a year away.

[Edited 2012-08-16 02:12:43]

CHRISBA777ER

Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:56 am

SCL - 744 non-stop or via somewhere else?

Can the 772ER do LHR non-stop from SCL what with the height and everything?

TC957

Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:19 am

AF does nonstop SCL - CDG with their 772ER's so I guess another few miles more up to LHR should be no problem.

SCL767

Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:21 am

Quoting CHRISBA777ER (Reply 43):
Can the 772ER do LHR non-stop from SCL what with the height and everything?

Absolutely, AF deploys the B77W on the CDG-SCL route regularly.

SCL767

Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:03 am

IAG's CEO recently commented that some of the new slots at LHR acquired via IAG's takeover of BMI will be used for new direct long-haul services from LHR to destinations in China and South America:

Quote:
Willie Walsh, chief executive of BA’s parent company IAG, said he would use scarce landing slots acquired through its takeover of rival airline BMI for the new long-haul services. Mr Walsh said that some of the 42 slots would be allocated to direct services to fast-growing cities in China such as Guangzhou and Shenyang and South American destinations such as Santiago in Chile.
British Airways takeover of BMI puts booming cities on the route map