LAXintl
Topic Author

Interjet Seeks To Add CHI, IAH, LAS, And SNA

Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:10 pm

Mexican LCC Interjet applied with the DOT for authorization to commence service on 6 US-Mexico City pairs.

Mexico City, Mexico - Santa Ana, California;
Guadalajara, Mexico - Santa Ana, California;
San Jose del Cabo, Mexico - Santa Ana, California;
Toluca, Mexico - Las Vegas, Nevada;
Toluca, Mexico - Houston, Texas; and
Toluca, Mexico - Chicago, Illinois.

Carrier states it seeks to commence service as early as September.

OST-2012-TBA
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

FlyingSicilian

RE: Interjet Seeks To Add CHI, IAH, LAS, And SNA

Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:15 pm

Toluca-Houston YESSSS. UA just cut it and I much prefer Toluca for my travel needs...and it is all about me  
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

ScottB

Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:02 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Thread starter):
Mexican LCC Interjet applied with the DOT for authorization to commence service on 6 US-Mexico City pairs.

Does SNA have enough available slots for Interjet to add these flights?

drerx7

Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:15 pm

Quoting FlyingSicilian (Reply 1):
Toluca-Houston YESSSS. UA just cut it and I much prefer Toluca for my travel needs...and it is all about me

A 320 for an ERJ...I can live with that. This is exactly what will happen at IAH - at least within reason. If UA leaves any profitable void...another carrier will step in.
Third Coast born, means I'm Texas raised

timberwolf24

Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:19 pm

Did they state ORD or MDW for Chicago service?
Living in LA, ORD/MDW will always be home!

LAXintl
Topic Author

Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:23 pm

For the 2012 schedule year, SNA has 3 slots set aside along with an incentive program for Mexico services. Airtran/SWA picked up 2 which would leave a single one for Interjet.

2013 slot allocation is not out yet, however the county has 5 slots held back which it can juggle around with and designate for additional international services if it desires. Also by policy a new-entrant carrier would received access up to 3 daily slots if they desired.

G500

Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:29 pm

At the rate that Interjet and Volaris are growing (or seek to growth), there is even less reason to resusitate Mexicana

avi8

Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:32 pm

Why would they pick TLC over MEX for these new routes? Wouldn't they be able to offer more connections at MEX?
avi8

totesen

Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:37 pm

Quoting avi8 (Reply 8):
Why would they pick TLC over MEX for these new routes? Wouldn't they be able to offer more connections at MEX?

Well i undersstand Chicago and Las Vegas, since México´s biliteral agreement only allows 2 airlines per country to a destination, and Chicago is already operated by AeroMexico and Volaris, and the same case with Vegas.

But AeroMexico Connect is the only Mexican carrier operating the route to Houston. so why from TLC???
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com/totesen

TWA902fly

Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:41 pm

Quoting totesen (Reply 9):
But AeroMexico Connect is the only Mexican carrier operating the route to Houston. so why from TLC???

Maybe due to scheduling? The same aircraft will be used on TLC-IAH/CHI/LAS?

'902
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

SANFan

Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:41 pm

Carrier states it seeks to commence service as early as September

Very interesting. Especially regarding SNA-routes, I guess we don't know what kind of frequencies are being planned? I also note that 4O is jumping in to both business and leisure markets from John Wayne!

bb

FlyingSicilian

Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:49 pm

Maybe they see oppurtunity filling the "void" left when UNITED express leaves on Sept 5?
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

EddieDude

Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:15 pm

I offer my non-expert analysis:
SJD-SNA should work wonders. I like this thinking outside the box. Good for Interjet!
The MEX/GDL services to SNA puzzle me a bit. Isn't SNA in the O.C., which is a rather affluent Cali county? Maybe I am wrong, but it does not seem to me there is a lot of ethnic traffic to be captured at SNA compared to LAX and ONT. Is there perhaps a charter/package contract to serve Mexicans going to Disney? Look forward to reading everyone's feedback.
TLC-IAH sounds good to me. TLC-LAS... not so much, although I guess good pricing can make it work beautifully. TLC-Chicago... I just don't know.

Well i undersstand Chicago and Las Vegas, since México´s biliteral agreement only allows 2 airlines per country to a destination, and Chicago is already operated by AeroMexico and Volaris, and the same case with Vegas.

Yup, good point.

To offer quick commuting times from the Lomas-Santa Fe-Bosques-Interlomas corridor to TLC and back to business travelers and wealthy VFRs and shopping travelers? I think this is a good idea.
Next flights: MEX-LAX AM 738, LAX-PVG DL 77L, SHA-PEK CA 789, PEK-PVG CA A332, PVG-ORD MU 77W, ORD-MEX AM 738

totesen

Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:31 pm

Quoting SANFan (Reply 11):
Very interesting. Especially regarding SNA-routes, I guess we don't know what kind of frequencies are being planned? I also note that 4O is jumping in to both business and leisure markets from John Wayne!

What i have heard is that Interjet wants the Los Angeles Market, and they will sell the flights to SNA as Los Angeles/Santa Barbara Airport. because of the bilateral they cant fly to LAX

EddieDude

Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:42 pm

Quoting totesen (Reply 14):
Los Angeles/Santa Barbara Airport.

Santa Ana you mean. Santa Barbara is north of LA, Oxnard and Ventura. Santa Ana is south of LA, in the OC. The drive between Santa Ana and Santa Barbara could take up to 3 hours or longer.
Next flights: MEX-LAX AM 738, LAX-PVG DL 77L, SHA-PEK CA 789, PEK-PVG CA A332, PVG-ORD MU 77W, ORD-MEX AM 738

LAXintl
Topic Author

Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:27 pm

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 13):
Isn't SNA in the O.C., which is a rather affluent Cali county?

Yes but there are some very large and virtually majority Hispanic communities in Orange County such as Anaheim, Santa Ana, Garden Grove.

When SNA launched its Mexico incentive program they estimated the airports catchment area generated over 860,000 annual trips to/from Mexico annually. Today bulk of that is served via LAX, or possibly SAN, ONT or if people drive to TIJ.

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 13):
SJD-SNA should work wonders. I like this thinking outside the box. Good for Interjet!
The MEX/GDL services to SNA puzzle me

Keep in mind, SJD and MEX are served already by Southwest (Airtran).

GDL would be the only destination they could earn incentive money on at the moment.

rojo

Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:46 pm

Interjet just can't get things right... they almost abandoned TLC when they purchased JR's slots and took over some MX's slots in MEX and now they want to increase flights from TLC to USA (only way to bypass the bilateral between MEX and USA that restricts the number of carriers flying from MEX ).

And they want to give some competition to WN who is better known in the US market (there are more US passengers flying to cities in Mexico than Mexicans flying to cities in the US) .

Good luck to Interjet; it will need it if it really wants to fill those planes with high yields...

ghost77

Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:51 pm

Shame LGB isn't international, it would make far more sense a MEX-LGB, GDL-LGB and SJD-LGB.

g77
Ricardo Morales - flyAPM - ¡No es que maneje rapido, solo estoy volando lento!

SANFan

Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:17 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 16):
Today bulk of that is served via LAX, or possibly SAN, ONT or if people drive to TIJ

To me, the big question is, will those people that now drive down and cross the border for the cheaper flights from TIJ, or choose LAX because of the variety of fares and service, all of a sudden settle for the limited SNA offerings? (It's hard to say what the fares will be like from John Wayne; they are generally higher than surrounding airports but since 4O is a budget-oriented carrier, will they offer cheap enough fares?)

It seems to me that with the limited available slots for intl service (or any service for that matter) from SNA, this set of applications from Interjet will pretty much top off the potential there. Despite what the US-Mexico bilateral limitations allow, SNA will be quickly maxed out with Mexico service -- with one US carrier (FL/WN) and one Mexican one. They will both either make a bundle here, or it may not pan out as hoped.

I will be very curious to see how this whole dynamic of SoCal-Mexico air service unfolds in the next couple of years...

bb

rojo

Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:59 pm

Quoting SANFan (Reply 19):
To me, the big question is, will those people that now drive down and cross the border for the cheaper flights from TIJ, or choose LAX because of the variety of fares and service, all of a sudden settle for the limited SNA offerings? (It's hard to say what the fares will be like from John Wayne; they are generally higher than surrounding airports but since 4O is a budget-oriented carrier, will they offer cheap enough fares?)

The fares are not the problem, the international taxes and the operating cost in the US vs TIJ are the problem. Taxes can be 20-30% of an airplane tickets and with higher operating costs, fares can't be lowered that much if they want to make some money...

thomasphoto60

Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:30 pm

Correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to recall seeing a number of these types of announcements from Mexican LCCs like Volaris and Interjet , Viva Aerobus even AM over the years here stating that they have "applied" for DOT approval. As I don't follow these threads that closely, I am curious if any in the past ever been approved and the routes even started?

That said, good luck Interjet, hope to see you in Houston soon.

[Edited 2012-08-15 16:56:16]

[Edited 2012-08-15 16:57:08]
"Show me the Braniffs"

Flaps

Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:55 pm

My apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but any thoughts or discussion on the use of the SSJ on any of these services? That would would be well worth a trip out west for a ride on one.

SANFan

Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:03 am

Quoting rojo (Reply 20):
The fares are not the problem, the international taxes and the operating cost in the US vs TIJ are the problem. Taxes can be 20-30% of an airplane tickets and with higher operating costs, fares can't be lowered that much if they want to make some money...

Of course. But how much CAN they lower the fares in order for the bottom line of the ticket price to be more competitive with the bottom line of an intra-Mexico ticket?

The point is that travelers can pay a lot less if they get to TIJ for a domestic Mexican flight. Will they continue to do that, or will they suck it up and pay more for the convenience of their local SoCal airport? (Believe me, down in San Diego we know this situation very well!   )

Quoting thomasphoto60 (Reply 21):
As I don't follow these threads that closely I am curious if any in the past ever been approved and the routes even started?

Always the big question. There are lots of threads about the Mexico-US routes applied for, and there are also those talking about how applicationis have been withdrawn, or awards being ignored. Y4 recently applied for SMF-GDL (I beleive it was) and more recently backed out of the application. OTOH there is a thread that just started about DEN-MEX (applied for by Y4 a while ago) possibly being announced tomorrow. (BTW, almost all of the applications will be approved by both the US and Mexico as long as the maximum allowed number of cx for the route has not been reached.)

Certainly many of the applications are approved and started. Any US-Mexico routes being flown today are examples. However, AM was (is?) pretty well-known for applying for LOTS of routes and starting only some of them. IMHO, Volaris hasn't been as bad, and Interjet is really just getting started with major trans-border flying so we'll just have to see what there record is in a year or so.

bb

Newark727

Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:27 am

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 6):
For the 2012 schedule year, SNA has 3 slots set aside along with an incentive program for Mexico services. Airtran/SWA picked up 2 which would leave a single one for Interjet.

These are on FL metal for regulatory reasons, correct? Something about FL already flying international and WN not yet.

totesen

Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:02 am

Quoting SANFan (Reply 19):
but since 4O is a budget-oriented carrier, will they offer cheap enough fares?)

Well Interjet is not really a Low Cost airline, their prices are not that low, and their service is not at all low cost, only 150 seats in one class a320´s and 2 25kg bags on International flights and one 25kg on domestic. Their service is more like a Premium economy or economy confort service than anything else, but their operation model is very similar to low cost in terms of tunraround time, employes payments, etc, etc...

Quoting SANFan (Reply 23):
Interjet is really just getting started with major trans-border flying

Interjet was very cautious with US service, they didn't want MX going back and taking all their routes resulting in a financial disaster for Interjet, Volaris in that scenario was more impulsive but also smarter, they won all the big California Hubs (San Francisco, LA, San Diego), as well as Vegas and Chicago, if Interjet hadnt gotten Miami and JFK Volaris would have ended with all of the busiest US-MEXICO routes in the market. and they just keep getting bigger and bigger. Volaris is still waiting for 44 A320 NEOS. And their PR told me / us ( @enel_aire ) that the NEO´s where not replacing the A320´s only the one´s leased from TACA, and the arab planes wich are not up to Volaris standarts. but ultimately we are talking about a 40+ aircraft growth in Volaris, 15 superjets for interjet aswell as a dozen Airbus, 100´s 737max, a dozen 787 and a dozen Embraer 190, and also another bunch of E170´s for Grupo AeroMexico.

SO the mexican Market it growing on never seen proportions, mainly because of the Lowcost Boom, and the demise of MXA. but also that this new airlines are betting on markets like Tijuana-acapulco,oaxaca,cancun etc. that AeroMexico and Mexicana where always too conservative to start.

rojo

Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:26 am

Quoting SANFan (Reply 23):
Of course. But how much CAN they lower the fares in order for the bottom line of the ticket price to be more competitive with the bottom line of an intra-Mexico ticket?

That was exactly my question...

Quoting totesen (Reply 25):
Interjet was very cautious with US service, they didn't want MX going back and taking all their routes resulting in a financial disaster for Interjet, Volaris in that scenario was more impulsive but also smarter, they won all the big California Hubs (San Francisco, LA, San Diego), as well as Vegas and Chicago, if Interjet hadnt gotten Miami and JFK Volaris would have ended with all of the busiest US-MEXICO routes in the market. and they just keep getting bigger and bigger. Volaris is still waiting for 44 A320 NEOS. And their PR told me / us ( @enel_aire ) that the NEO´s where not replacing the A320´s only the one´s leased from TACA, and the arab planes wich are not up to Volaris standarts. but ultimately we are talking about a 40+ aircraft growth in Volaris, 15 superjets for interjet aswell as a dozen Airbus, 100´s 737max, a dozen 787 and a dozen Embraer 190, and also another bunch of E170´s for Grupo AeroMexico.

It is very difficult to make money in the Mexico - US market if you don't understand it and if potential customers don't know you. There is a lot of competition and there are multiple periods of low demand. Look at how many times Volaris has retimed, increase, reduce or cancel frequencies to all its US Destinations.

Now that the summer travel season is over, Interjet will start feeling the pressure on its MEX-MIA and MEX/TLC-SAT routes.

DL already started cancelling routes like SLC and MSP because of low yields... lets see who's next

jcwr56

Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:46 am

I believe CHI would be MDW. I don't see them doing ORD due to the cost.

Mexicana757

Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:49 am

About time we see Interjet show some interest to fly to more destinations in the U.S.

Don't know how well SNA is going to work for them. I'm sure the DOT will approve all three routes out of SNA, but will SNA give them the slots to operate all three destinations out of SNA, probably not. Interjet has asked the DOT to expedite the application because they plan on launching SNA-GDL, MEX, SJD on or about September 14, 2012. So SNA will be their next destination in the U.S.

TLC-CHI, IAH and LAS all are interesting applications. They don't have the hub anymore in TLC. How successful can they be in keeping those routes operating year round.

I'm surprised 4O doesn't have the route authority for MEX-IAH. I wonder who has the other route authority on MEX-IAH, AM has one who has the other?? I wonder if Interjet applied for TLC-IAH because they knew they were going to be denied if they applied for MEX-IAH. Y4 was denied MEX-IAH by DGAC and DOT.

Never thought 4O would apply for TLC-Chicago. Volaris has the other route authority in this city pair. Let's see if this will ever get flown by either.

Quoting timberwolf24 (Reply 5):
Did they state ORD or MDW for Chicago service?

An airport for Chicago is not specified as airlines can fly to either.

Quoting jcwr56 (Reply 27):

I don't think costs will stop Interjet from operating at ORD. The airline is already flying into MIA and JFK. I wouldn't mind seeing them fly into MDW

aviacsa55

Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:48 am

Finally! Interjet has a chance of flying to SNA now. It would be great to see airlines of Mexico fly here. To be honest, I was actually thinking about interjet flying to SNA way before it received approval. cheers to AIJ  

totesen

Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:52 am

Quoting rojo (Reply 26):

And it is also very difficult since you have to know the airline and their website, Neither Interjet or Volaris appear on internet shopping sites like Expedia, Orbitz or Kayak. And that makes the tickets WAY less visible for pottential custumers.
Volaris is trying HARD to get into the Mexicanamerican and immigrant market bysponsors and stuff, but the Interjet marketing department just sucks, their ads and aproaches are cheap and cheesy, and rely only on radio printed ads and tv, unlike volaris wich mainly uses social media, sponsorship and ads online (and they do a great Job in their publicity side), no wonder why volaris marketing has nearly 50 awards and prizes for best ads, marketing, PRand. Social media. While Interjet has hmmm.... Welll. A LOT of cash, and a lot of influences on politics.

FedExFlyerPHL

Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:11 am

Quoting Flaps (Reply 22):
My apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but any thoughts or discussion on the use of the SSJ on any of these services? That would would be well worth a trip out west for a ride on one.

That was my thought as well. Has it been certified by the FAA? I would love to see one in my home airport, SNA.

Jeff
Home base: SNA, LGB, LAX

jcwr56

Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:47 am

Quoting Mexicana757 (Reply 27):
I don't think costs will stop Interjet from operating at ORD. The airline is already flying into MIA and JFK. I wouldn't mind seeing them fly into MDW.

Of course it would be nice, but as a LCC, I"m still thinking MDW since that's the perceived LCC airport.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:28 am

There will be an Interjet A320 at SNA on September 4th for noise trials.

If things go well the County is set to approve a $300,000 incentive package for them in the coming weeks for service to GDL.

Tentative route launch will be October.

WROORD

Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:36 am

Quoting jcwr56 (Reply 26):

You are wrong they want ORD and listed the service as starting on September 14, 2012 pending final government approvals.

airliner371

Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:13 am

Quote:
If things go well the County is set to approve a $300,000 incentive package for them in the coming weeks for service to GDL.

I know the incentive program is for 3 new international destinations and this is the last available but where is InterJet getting the slots for the 3 flights, I thought there was only 1 slot for international left, at least for the 2012 slots available.

TWA772LR

Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:38 am

Hopefully IAH will get the Superjet!  Is it even FAA certified?
Not every day we find light winds. What do we do in these situations? Fly.

wnflyguy

Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:18 am

SNA airport kept a few slot/seats for new carriers wanting to add new international service.
Only the GDL flight will get the $300,000.
Rumor from friends at SNA WN/FL also put a bid into the country about adding GDL service.
But the city rejected WN/FL bid and picked interjet because they didn't want one carrier to have the monopoly on service. And the $300,000. Bonus.
Interjet will have it's ticket counter in the new terminal C and one RON gate if needed.
ATS is rumored to be handling ramp contact and Hallmark aviation handling ticket counter operations.
This should spice things up on fares to Mexico out of SNA.
Wnfg  
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

Mexicana757

Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:21 am

Quoting WROORD (Reply 33):
You are wrong they want ORD and listed the service as starting on September 14, 2012 pending final government approvals.

In their application Interjet did not state what airport in Chicago they want to fly. The airline can choose to fly to either MDW or ORD. The September 14, 2012 start date is referring to SNA flights only. No date was specified for the start of operations for TLC- CHI, IAH, or LAS.

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 35):
Hopefully IAH will get the Superjet!  Is it even FAA certified?

I don't think it's FAA certified. Superjet will probably fly around Mexico for awhile until FAA certifies it to fly in the U.S.

airliner371

Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:24 am

Quote:
Rumor from friends at SNA WN/FL also put a bid into the country about adding GDL service.

Dang, I really want to see WN/FL in GDL! Do you know of any more Mexico (or any international) flying WN/FL is rumored at adding if any, Thanks!

bjorn14

Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:46 am

Has Mexico been upgraded to Cat. I by the FAA? Sorry I haven't been following that drama to closely.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

Mexicana757

Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:47 am

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 39):
Has Mexico been upgraded to Cat. I by the FAA? Sorry I haven't been following that drama to closely

Yes Mexico has been upgraded back to Cat I since December of 2010.

MaverickM11

Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:29 pm

Quoting wnflyguy (Reply 36):
Only the GDL flight will get the $300,000.

Which they'll probably blow through in the first month.
E pur si muove -Galileo

LAXintl
Topic Author

Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:12 pm

Interjet noise qualification flight at SNA

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AIJ5401

=

LAXintl
Topic Author

Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:54 pm

Following the noise test last week, the county is due to approve the operating lease between the Interjet and the airport.

Interjet will be awarded total 4 slots to allow to operate both MEX and GDL. They will have up to 90-days to commence service.

airliner371

Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:27 am

Quote:
Interjet will be awarded total 4 slots to allow to operate both MEX and GDL.

Hmmm... no SJD. That leaves one monopoly route for WN/FL and one for InterJet. Pretty fair in my opinion. I bet we will see (if slots are approved) another FL flight to somewhere in Mexico from SNA. I was told they do very well even without the SWA connectivity.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:36 pm

Operating agreements approved.

Interjet also loaded the schedule. First flight October 11th.

Mexicana757

Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:52 pm

And here is the schedule for interjet's SNA flights.

4O 2841 GDL 11:15am- 12:35pm SNA (Daily)
4O 2840 SNA 1:35pm- 6:35pm GDL (Daily)

4O 2940 MEX 7:45am- 9:30am SNA (Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri)
4O 2940 MEX 12:30pm- 2:15pm SNA (Sat, Sun)

4O 2941 SNA 10:30am.- 4:05pm MEX (Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri)
4O 2941 SNA 3:15pm- 8:50pm MEX (Sat, Sun)

timberwolf24

Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:31 pm

Any word on when Chicago may start?
Living in LA, ORD/MDW will always be home!