illinoisman

DL To Have A Greater Presence At MKE?

Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:45 pm

Didn't see this one coming.

http://www.jsonline.com/business/del...ming-rights-pv6glri-166260126.html

"Downtown Milwaukee's Frontier Airlines Center apparently will be replacing "Frontier" in its moniker with "Delta."

Delta Air Lines Inc., which is increasing its operations at Mitchell International Airport, has reached an agreement to purchase the convention center's naming rights, according to two sources familiar with the pending transaction.

"I know it's in the works," said one source, who spoke only on the condition of not being identified.

Delta spokeswoman Chris Kelly declined to comment, citing a corporate policy of not discussing rumors.

Franklyn Gimbel, board chairman of the Wisconsin Center District, which owns and operates the convention center, said recently that an agreement has been reached with a new naming rights partner for the last year of the current agreement with Frontier Airlines."

[Edited 2012-08-15 10:45:50]

1337Delta764

RE: DL To Have A Greater Presence At MKE?

Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:47 pm

Interestingly, NW once had a focus city at MKE. I wonder why DL wants to increase operations.
The Pink Delta 767-400ER - The most beautiful aircraft in the sky

mke717spotter

Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:04 pm

Quoting IllinoisMan (Thread starter):
Didn't see this one coming.

Yeah this is a surprise, especially since the article says that WN wasn't involved at all in the selection process. A lot of people on here seem convinced that WN will eventually drop most of its MKE flights, but even if that does happen this at least makes me more hopeful that DL would step in and fill the void.
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

daus

Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:29 pm

Between this and the incredibly aggressive purchase of all Frontier Miles... Delta has to be thinking of doing something big in MKE.

Cubsrule

Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:35 pm

Quoting mke717spotter (Reply 2):
A lot of people on here seem convinced that WN will eventually drop most of its MKE flights, but even if that does happen this at least makes me more hopeful that DL would step in and fill the void.

I don't see what DL gains from fighting WN in MKE. They are already the legacy carrier of choice there and are drastically shrinking their regional fleet, which is what they would need to grow MKE. Filling voids - of which there are few so far - is a different matter.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

point2point

Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:38 pm

Quoting Daus (Reply 3):
Between this and the incredibly aggressive purchase of all Frontier Miles... Delta has to be thinking of doing something big in MKE.

Maybe not something big, but maybe something a bit more?

mayor

Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:52 pm

Now they need to spend the bucks in SLC and change Energy Solutions Arena back to what it should be......the Delta Center.

They gave up the naming rights in 2005 or 2006 during BK, when the original contract expired. I'm thinking they thought renewing them was an unnecessary expense during BK.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

TVNWZ

Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:58 pm

I think Delta sees an opportunity to firm up their strong FF base in Milwaukee and attract new business customers. DL already scores strong with businesses and with the demise of "The Hometown Airline" can keep the HVC from jumping completely to WN or elsewhere.I agree with this:

Quoting point2point (Reply 5):

DL has the base to add some P2P they otherwise might not have considerered, or upgauge some of the aircraft to the hubs that are now regional jets. They have an advantage here and I am not surprised to see a little exploitation of that given the circumstances.

cokepopper

Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:02 pm

Big mistake was letting go of the Delta Center in SLC.
For some, it will always be the Delta Center. One can only
hope they fix that mistake. As far as MKE? I don't get it.

toltommy

Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:03 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 4):
They are already the legacy carrier of choice there and are drastically shrinking their regional fleet, which is what they would need to grow MKE.

Seems to me that MKE customers are used to the 717.... That plane may be a very good fit for growth at MKE.

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 4):
I don't see what DL gains from fighting WN in MKE.

WN is perceived as the low cost carrier. They actually have some of the highest labor costs in the industry now. DL can take WN on easily.

Cubsrule

Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:18 pm

Quoting toltommy (Reply 9):
They actually have some of the highest labor costs in the industry now. DL can take WN on easily.

But, alas, there's more to it than labor costs. What's DL's narrowbody or regional CASM compared with WN's CASM?

2H4

Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:26 pm

The way MKE is aggressively marketing itself as an alternative to ORD, DL may see opportunity to take some market share from the main players in the Chicago area.

If DL does indeed beef up its presence in MKE, what implications does that have for MSN?
Intentionally Left Blank

scutfarcus

Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:46 pm

If the Amtrak ever gets properly upgraded from MKE to Chicago (and theoretically Madison) then this gets more appealing, but that's pretty long term.

I would imagine a few 717s to places like BOS and PHL could be profitably filled... perhaps even west. there are business flyers loyal to Delta in MKE who would pay premiums for nonstops and who don't want to fly Southwest.

2H4

Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:54 pm

Quoting scutfarcus (Reply 12):
If the Amtrak ever gets properly upgraded from MKE to Chicago (and theoretically Madison)

No chance of getting rail service to MSN under our current backward-thinking governor.

It would be interesting to see if MKE airfare would decrease with increased DL presence. I don't think it would take much for DL to cannibalize MSN traffic...if ticket prices out of MKE decrease, MSN travelers would stand to save hundreds for the trouble of driving 90 minutes to MKE.
Intentionally Left Blank

steex

Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:08 pm

I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but it seems to me like this is two separate issues being merged together to create a bigger buzz than deserved. The article states that DL is "increasing its operations at Mitchell International Airport" and has "replaced some of the nonstop flights from Mitchell dropped in recent months by Frontier Airlines." To me, that just reads like positive spin on the fact that DL's LGA expansion resulted in DL taking on LGA-MKE as F9 was leaving the market.

The virtual disappearance of F9 certainly leaves some passengers up for grabs, and I would imagine DL sees that they are in a great position to capture a good chunk of those fliers if they take the opportunity to market their existing services. It's entirely possible that a stronger position for DL in MKE could result in a few additions at some point, but I don't think their choice to put some cash into naming rights is a direct indication that an MKE expansion is imminent.

Quoting cokepopper (Reply 8):

Big mistake was letting go of the Delta Center in SLC.
For some, it will always be the Delta Center. One can only
hope they fix that mistake. As far as MKE? I don't get it.

You could make the argument that as long as people call it the Delta Center anyway, DL can just save its money and still receive some of the same benefit.

rj777

Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:17 pm

I know I seem obsessed with this..... but maybe DL can bring back the MKE-OMA route F9 abandoned. Believe me, I'm not the only one that would welcome it back, being a child of two states (Nebraska and Wisconsin).

slcdeltarumd11

Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:41 pm

Delta really needs a MKE-SLC link, don't they? It just seems like such a big missing link for MKE

point2point

Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:43 pm

Quoting steex (Reply 14):
The virtual disappearance of F9 certainly leaves some passengers up for grabs, and I would imagine DL sees that they are in a great position to capture a good chunk of those fliers if they take the opportunity to market their existing services.

I would think that as per elementary economics, that as fares increase (as they have been at MKE) then pax will decrease. Yes, MKE had a hey-day for a while with low airfares the last couple of years, and lots of pax, but now that airfares have gone up some, it seems that there is also about a 20% decrease with pax numbers, as per comparison of April 2011 to April 2012 numbers.

And with that, one has to wonder how many pax are really out there for anyone now at MKE, assuming that no carrier is really willing to lower fares as significantly and as drastically as happened a few years back? And while DL may very well want the premium pax and get them, the back seat pax volume most likely have vaporized along with the low fares.

TVNWZ

Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:08 pm

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 16):
Delta really needs a MKE-SLC link, don't they? It just seems like such a big missing link for MKE

They have had it in the past using mostly CRJ 700s. It was off and on and when DL bought NW they put it back on for awhile, but it did not connect well. (At least not well for me.) then they dropped it.

I agree, it would be a great addition and would offer another alternative to the westcoast. The only issue is when you get to SLC your second hop will probably be a CRJ1/200 with no FC seating.

slcdeltarumd11

Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:33 pm

Quoting TVNWZ (Reply 18):
They have had it in the past using mostly CRJ 700s. It was off and on and when DL bought NW they put it back on for awhile, but it did not connect well. (At least not well for me.) then they dropped it.

That is deltas current problem at SLC and really the answer i guess. Not enough gates for anything larger than a CRJ-200 at the two prime bank times. Its unfortunately too long for deltas no first class distance limit. Delta has tried to jam some in but either they miss some connections or too long a layover is needed. I guess MKE was in that boat. Once the new terminals at SLC are built i expect cities like MKE, BDL, RDU, FLL to come back. All sustainable just cant justify the gate space and need to be perfectly timed to work out. Delta really has enough gates its just that need more mainline/larger RJ gates so their setup is inefficient and they have to choose the best routes for cities far away. Delta could offer this flight more in the middle of the day and would connect to cities like LAS, LAX, SFO, SEA but it would be a long layover to the smaller and unique markets and the timing would probably not ideal for business travelers.

NWAESC

Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:56 pm

Quoting Daus (Reply 3):
Delta has to be thinking of doing something big in MKE.

I don't think it's so much that as it is this:

Quoting TVNWZ (Reply 7):
I think Delta sees an opportunity to firm up their strong FF base in Milwaukee and attract new business customers. DL already scores strong with businesses and with the demise of "The Hometown Airline" can keep the HVC from jumping completely to WN or elsewhere.
Quoting 2H4 (Reply 11):
If DL does indeed beef up its presence in MKE, what implications does that have for MSN?

Probably not much, really. MKE (for NW, and now DL) has grown and shrunk a few times, and MSN has been largely unaffected by it. That's not to say that there isn't bleed to MKE, ORD, or even RFD from Dane County; I'm just saying that historically, activity at MKE hasn't really affected MSN to too much of a degree.

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 13):
No chance of getting rail service to MSN under our current backward-thinking governor.

Backward= understatement of the decade.

Quote:
It would be interesting to see if MKE airfare would decrease with increased DL presence. I don't think it would take much for DL to cannibalize MSN traffic...if ticket prices out of MKE decrease, MSN travelers would stand to save hundreds for the trouble of driving 90 minutes to MKE.

True, but I'm not sure how many people are willing to do that (see above). Keep in mind how huge Epic's traffic is for DL in MSN. MSN itself also has a relatively large catchment area that may to some degree offset traffic going to MKE.

On a (sort of) related note, the MSN airport's latest "stop the schlep" ad campaign is awful. JMHO...

but it seems to me like this is two separate issues being merged together to create a bigger buzz than deserved.

^This^

When the article noted that DL was "increasing it's operation," I took it to mean routes/upgauges already uploaded, as opposed to entirely new service/routes...
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

slcdeltarumd11

Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:10 pm

I think DLs only goal of MKE is to attract the former frontier fliers and anti southwest people out there. Its just easy pickings. Lets see how loyal and large a base of flyers they can pick up. I dont expect a big list of cities they will try or anything

I think its just easy pickings and delta is trying to grab some heavy elites and frequent fliers. Being the solid number two in town with elite benefits and first class might just seem like a good opportunity. Similar situation to MCI or RDU i guess

FSDan

Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:05 am

Quoting NWAESC (Reply 20):
True, but I'm not sure how many people are willing to do that (see above). Keep in mind how huge Epic's traffic is for DL in MSN.

And that traffic is only going to go up for the foreseeable future. Epic went from 5000 to 6000 employees over the last year. I also hear that American Family Insurance sends a lot of employees through MSN.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

aa777lvr

Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:14 am

NWAESC,

Wow, for once I think I we finally agree on something.

On a (sort of) related note, the MSN airport's latest "stop the schlep" ad campaign is awful. JMHO...

Awful.

AA777LVR

crAAzy

Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:36 am

Quoting Daus (Reply 3):
Quoting point2point (Reply 5):

LOL ... I tend to agree that when it comes to MKE aviation the "Big Days" are well behind us.

DL is already number 2 with respect to passenger numbers and flight numbers out of MKE (with a daily flight total in the 30+) range this summer. That may drop some this winter and ultimately I think the MEM flights will disappear. However, there's still room for some DL expansion to some of it's hubs (SLC as named above) as well as some point to point service on some key routes from MKE that may stick on the "DL Dart Board".

illinoisman

Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:57 am

Big mistake was letting go of the Delta Center in SLC. For some, it will always be the Delta Center. One can only hope they fix that mistake.

I'm sure the people of Salt Lake City would rather go to a Jazz game at the Delta Center than to an arena named for a toxic waste disposal company, as it is now.

Quoting TVNWZ (Reply 7):
I think Delta sees an opportunity to firm up their strong FF base in Milwaukee and attract new business customers.

I have been a Delta Diamond member for several years and I can attest that they are a great airline. They try very hard to serve their customers well and the recent expansion of flights to LGA and JFK show that DL is committed to MKE. Buying the naming rights will confirm that commitment for years to come. After years of having disappointing allegiance to MKE by airlines, it is nice to see DL step up to the plate. Now if only F9 would give up, cave in, or sell off their D Concourse contract to DL, then they would have a great frequent traveler suite. Word has it WN is moving everything over to C Concourse.

mariner

Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:28 am

I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but it seems to me like this is two separate issues being merged together to create a bigger buzz than deserved. The article states that DL is "increasing its operations at Mitchell International Airport" and has "replaced some of the nonstop flights from Mitchell dropped in recent months by Frontier Airlines." To me, that just reads like positive spin on the fact that DL's LGA expansion resulted in DL taking on LGA-MKE as F9 was leaving the market.

I hesitate to use the word collusion - which would be illegal - but I wonder how much Delta knew about Frontier's MKE plans and when they knew it.

And what did happen to Frontier's LGA slots?  
Quoting IllinoisMan (Reply 26):
Now if only F9 would give up, cave in, or sell off their D Concourse contract to DL, then they would have a great frequent traveler suite.

I can't think that Frontier's seven flights at MKE inhibit Delta at MKE in way way. The real question is how much Delta does want to do at MKE?

mariner
aeternum nauta

enilria

Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:42 am

Quoting mariner (Reply 27):
And what did happen to Frontier's LGA slots?

I think we know.

I must say, I am very impressed with DL for this one. In the old days, DL/NW would have been in the middle of the war between YX/F9, WN, and FL, but they were smarter this time and backed out of the way while there was blood in the streets only to reappear when the city is desperate for new service. Putting aside what happened to the F9 slots, this is really the way airline competition is supposed to played. You don't lose boatloads of money fighting everybody in sight. You wait for others to pound each other into weakness and then sweep up. Well done, Delta. I hope DL learned something on this one.

mariner

Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:54 am

Quoting enilria (Reply 28):
I think we know.

Then I would ask - what was the quid pro quo?

As to the naming rights, I do think it is a clever move. If nothing else, it stops it becoming the Southwest Airlines Center.

I'm enjoying this.  

mariner
aeternum nauta

mayor

Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:58 am

You could make the argument that as long as people call it the Delta Center anyway, DL can just save its money and still receive some of the same benefit.

Not really.......the branding and such means alot, too..........people around town calling it the "Delta Center" will eventually fade away and some will only remember it as "Energy Solutions Arena". The time to bring the name back is NOW, while there are still some people around that still remember it that way.

Quoting IllinoisMan (Reply 26):
Big mistake was letting go of the Delta Center in SLC. For some, it will always be the Delta Center. One can only hope they fix that mistake.

I'm sure the people of Salt Lake City would rather go to a Jazz game at the Delta Center than to an arena named for a toxic waste disposal company, as it is now.

I'm surprised, at the time, that Larry Miller couldn't find someone else to sponser it OR work out a deal with DL that they could both live with. I mean, they KNEW DL was in BK at the time.......surely something could have been done.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

NWAESC

Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:55 am

Quoting aa777lvr (Reply 24):
Wow, for once I think I we finally agree on something.

Lol.

It was bound to happen at some point...

CIDFlyer

Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:04 am

Wouldnt surprise me, NW used to have quite a good presence at MKE and now DL has inherited that. I could maybe see some point to point flights to major business markets, as well as maybe a LAX / LAS/ and a couple Florida runs.

HermansCVR580

Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:45 pm

Any word on if Delta is going to stay by themselves over on E or I know there had been some grumblings that they may move over to D if Frontier would turn the gate leases back over to Milwaukee county. When I worked at the airport there was a drawing going around showing E being replaced with a concourse to match C, but I don't know if that is still to happen now that the airline wars in MKE seem to have ended.
The right decision at the wrong time, is still a wrong decision. "Hal Carr"

rj777

Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:09 pm

I think United needs to make up their mind which concourse they want to be in. (C or E)

N62NA

Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:55 pm

First, I'm a bit surprised to see an A.net staffer inject politics into a thread that really doesn't have anything to do with politics:

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 13):

It just invites comments like these:

Backward= understatement of the decade.

So, to provide a bit of balance, there are many - more than 50% of the voters in Wisconsin as measured in the recent recall election that voted FOR Governor Walker - that would not agree with your comments.

And, if all "goes well" - you'll have not only a great governor come January 2013, but also a great Vice President from Wisconsin as well.

[Edited 2012-08-16 08:55:56]

jreuschl

Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:21 pm

For those taking the chance to rip on the Governor, I'll just point out that the stop for the train was not near the Madison airport.

joeljack

Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:26 pm

Quoting rj777 (Reply 15):
I know I seem obsessed with this..... but maybe DL can bring back the MKE-OMA route F9 abandoned. Believe me, I'm not the only one that would welcome it back, being a child of two states (Nebraska and Wisconsin).

Yes...that would be awesome!! I know of a few people that would love this!!!!

scutfarcus

Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:39 pm

Quoting jreuschl (Reply 36):
For those taking the chance to rip on the Governor, I'll just point out that the stop for the train was not near the Madison airport.

That's right, it was downtown Madison, walking distance from both the Capitol and the University which is why it was so perfect as a feeder to MKE, and Chicago.

Sorry, I did *not* mean to let this conversation get political. I think most people who know a thing or two about transportation infrastructure know that rail (if properly designed) shouldn't be a right/left issue at all. It should simply be a part of our basic infrastructure where appropriate.

KDAYflyer

Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:41 pm

DL vs WN at MKE. Interesting fight nobody saw coming.   

N62NA

Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:50 pm

Quoting scutfarcus (Reply 38):
That's right, it was downtown Madison, walking distance from both the Capitol and the University which is why it was so perfect as a feeder to MKE, and Chicago.

Sorry, I did *not* mean to let this conversation get political. I think most people who know a thing or two about transportation infrastructure know that rail (if properly designed) shouldn't be a right/left issue at all. It should simply be a part of our basic infrastructure where appropriate.

Then your beef should be with Amtrak in Washington DC, no?

FWAERJ

Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:57 pm

Quoting N62NA (Reply 40):

Then your beef should be with Amtrak in Washington DC, no?

When the POTUS doled out funds for high-speed rail, they went directly to the states. Since then, Ohio, Wisconsin, and Florida received new governors that aren't HSR fans and gave the money back to the feds.
"Did he really need the triple bypass? Or was it the miles?"

N62NA

Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:11 pm

Quoting FWAERJ (Reply 41):

When the POTUS doled out funds for high-speed rail, they went directly to the states. Since then, Ohio, Wisconsin, and Florida received new governors that aren't HSR fans and gave the money back to the feds.

And - in a related matter - the NJ governor declined the Federal funds for another rail tunnel under the Hudson river.

High speed rail makes no sense at all on a state level for Madison-Milwaukee. The two cities are too close.

Rerouting the existing Amtrak makes more sense.

NWAESC

Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:59 pm

Quoting N62NA (Reply 35):
And, if all "goes well" - you'll have not only a great governor come January 2013, but also a great Vice President from Wisconsin as well.

There's nothing "great" about either of them (or Reince Priebus, for that matter)...

I think most people who know a thing or two about transportation infrastructure know that rail (if properly designed) shouldn't be a right/left issue at all. It should simply be a part of our basic infrastructure where appropriate.

+1

GSPSPOT

Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:12 pm

Quoting CIDFlyer (Reply 32):
Wouldnt surprise me, NW used to have quite a good presence at MKE and now DL has inherited that. I could maybe see some point to point flights to major business markets, as well as maybe a LAX / LAS/ and a couple Florida runs.

Didn't NW do pretty well with a ramped-up focus city operation at MKE a few years ago?

[Edited 2012-08-16 13:12:45]
Finally made it to an airline mecca!

Cubsrule

Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:17 pm

Quoting GSPSPOT (Reply 44):
Didn't NW do pretty well with a ramped-up focus city operation at MKE a few years ago?

The fact that they wound it down pretty quickly probably speaks to the results. IIRC, the last p2p route was LAS, and it ended in mid to late 2006.

HermansCVR580

Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:21 pm

There's nothing "great" about either of them (or Reince Priebus, for that matter)...

I agree 100% I will save my rant for a different board  Hopefully will see him in an orange jump suit soon.

Some cities did ok, but this was when Midwest was running full tilt and AirTran was increasing service here too so there was a lot of competition in the markets. A lot of the expanded flights were down graded to RJ's before finally being cut back around 2007.
The right decision at the wrong time, is still a wrong decision. "Hal Carr"

KGRB

Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:59 pm

As far as MKE? I don't get it.

MKE was always a huge North Central/Republic/Northwest city, going back long before YX started. As another user pointed out, NW's (now DL's) relationship with the city has been on-and-off over the years, but the huge FF base there has been largely unaffected by it.

Pre-merger Delta wasn't too small there either, as I recall. They were sending mainline (737-200s, MD-88s) there while UA and AA were all regional. Does anyone remember how big DL was at it's peak in MKE, before the NW merger?

Quoting HermansCVR580 (Reply 33):
Any word on if Delta is going to stay by themselves over on E or I know there had been some grumblings that they may move over to D if Frontier would turn the gate leases back over to Milwaukee county. When I worked at the airport there was a drawing going around showing E being replaced with a concourse to match C, but I don't know if that is still to happen now that the airline wars in MKE seem to have ended.

Seems unlikely to me as E was just renovated a few years ago, including a remodel of the SkyClub (former NW WorldClub).

The easiest solution is to consolidate WN/FL on D & UA/CO on C and let DL have E to themselves.
Flown on 9E/AA/AL/CP/DL/EV/HP/MQ/NW/PT/OO/OH/UA/US/XJ/YV/YX/ZW

TVNWZ

Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:15 pm

Quoting KGRB (Reply 47):
Does anyone remember how big DL was at it's peak in MKE, before the NW merger?

Delta had dropped to mostly CRJ 700s with just a couple of MD80s a couple of years before the merger To ATL. There was one CRJ700 flight to SLC and several RJ/ERJ flights to Cincy.

Then, when NW elites could be upgraded on DL, as well as earn mileage, DL upgauged a couple of more flights. It was not until after the merger that MKEATL went all mainline. This was also the time DL downgauged flights to MSP/DTW/MEM. MEM went all RJ1/200, the 757s were pulled from MSP and DTW routes, the Airbuses slowed down, and more larger RJs were added to the mix along with MD80s and now MD90s. Cincy has stayed relatively the same give or take.

redzeppelin

Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:18 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 30):
I'm surprised, at the time, that Larry Miller couldn't find someone else to sponser it OR work out a deal with DL that they could both live with. I mean, they KNEW DL was in BK at the time.......surely something could have been done.

Hard to believe that the (former) Delta Center is already 21 years old. It's now among the older NBA areans, but I still think of it as being one of the newer ones. I often wonder if there were ever any discussions with Rio Tinto when the name change was being negotiated. While they (Rio Tinto) were the perfect naming rights partner for the soccer stadium a few short years later, they also would have been a great alternative to ESA.

I remember attending a professional conference in SLC in about 2005 when a colleague (and sports fan) visiting from Minnesota was surprised to see the DL logo on the arena. He said, "I knew the Jazz played at the Delta Center, but I never realized that it was named after the airline." Moments like that make wonder just how effective naming rights are as a marketing device. Perhaps it works better when you include the full name, a la "American Airlines Arena" in Miami. Even Chicago's "United Center" leaves some ambiguity about whether it is named for UAL or something else. It's only clear when you get there and see the logos.

mayor

Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:28 pm

Quoting redzeppelin (Reply 49):
It's only clear when you get there and see the logos.

Well, that IS what the logos are for, after all.  

I can't remember for sure, but I think the branding INSIDE the Delta Center was covered over during the Olympics but it seems like that on the outside was still there. But, then again, maybe it WAS still there, inside and outside, especially as DL was the "Official Airline" of the Olympics.