G500

Is Ethiopian The Best Managed Airline In Africa?

Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:52 am

I suppose there are a few world class airlines in the African Continent: Kenya Airways, South African, Air Austral, Taag Angola, Air Mauritius and Ethiopian.. Is Ethiopian the best managed airline in the African continent?

Seems to me that as far as profits and potential, Ehtiopian could top South African these days even though South Africa's economy is much larger than Ethiopia's

olddominion727

RE: Is Ethiopian The Best Managed Airline In Africa?

Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:42 am

I think SA is over ET. SA is in *A too

N809FR

Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:36 am

I do believe ET has the most potential, I am not sure if I would say they are the best managed as of right now. Certainly SA has had a huge decline over the last 5 years or so. As such, I think SA is the only real competition for that title right now, and it is hard to say SA is well managed.

abrelosojos

Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:48 am

Yes. Their management has a vision, and knows what it is doing.

Saludos,
A.
Live, and let live.

weebie

Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:19 am

no SAA is one of the best run airlines in the world. It's probably better run than any airline in North America.

smi0006

Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:03 am

How is KQ doing? I know they have take a traffic hit recently but I thought they had some big plans of their own.

I could see ET doing well if we some Gulf or Chinese investment in ADD airport infrastructure, I am doubtful if it could be funded locally privately or by the government.

N14AZ

Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:22 am

Please apologize my ignorance, I am working in Middle East / North Africa and not so familiar with that region. How comes they are doing so well? I mean, since the average income in Ethiopia is still low I wouldn't expect a huge O&D market in Ethopia. I know there are a lot of development programmes financed by the usual international donors but I think this creates only a small part of the traffic.

I am just curious because when I grew up I would have never expected to see the national airline of Ethiopia flying the most modern passenger jet shortly after the launch customer and therefore a brief reply would be highly appreciated.

PS.: did you know that Bob Geldorf initially had written "and there won't be snow in Ethiopia this Christmas Time" but his co-writer Midge Ure came to the conclusion that this is very difficult to sing (just try it) so he replaced Ethiopia with Africa.

ei912

Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:40 am

I think MS could also be added to this discussion? They might not be the best managed in Africa but they're up near the top in any case.

RWA380

Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:47 am

Quoting smi0006 (Reply 5):
How is KQ doing? I know they have take a traffic hit recently but I thought they had some big plans of their own

This was the first carrier I thought of when I started reading this thread, KQ has ties in with KL/AF and IIRC, there is another commuter line in Tanzania/Kenya (Precision air?) that I thought was also tied in tight with KQ. I had a much larger than average percentage of travellers to JRO while working in San Francisco, as we did the air travel for one of the best mountain climbing companies here in the USA, based in Seattle that had their Mountain trekking clients booking their air with us.

People going to and from Arusha almost always flew SA)">NW/KL to Europe then connect to the AMS-JRO flight on KL.
If they wanted any deviations to see other things while over there, then we booked lots of KQ/PW flights, I have always thought given even the bulk rate fares in this market, another carrier would do well flying to JRO, Condor did 1x weekly at some point in the past.

Quoting EI912 (Reply 7):
I think MS could also be added to this discussion? They might not be the best managed in Africa but they're up near the top in any case

This was my second thought carrier after KQ, MS has been doing it pretty well for many years and is flying 777's once Egypt's unrest and subsequent damage repaired, I'm hoping people flock once again to help springboard their economy by providing much welcomed tourism dollars.

IMHO, there are 5 top African Airlines SA, KQ, ET, MS and RAM
Next Flights: PDX-HNL-OGG-LIH-PDX On AS, WP & HA

TravellerPlus

Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:47 am

I believe Comair of South Africa is better run than the suggested flag carriers. It was established in 1946 and successfully operates both full service (British Airways) and low cost (Kulula). Any privately run airline that has been around for over 60 years must be doing something right. The airline has been consistently profitable, despite operating in an environment where it's main competitor (SAA) has been bailed out on numerous occasions and many other competitors have gone bankrupt.

Having flown on both the Kulula and BA operations, I can attest to the high standards of both.
What goes around comes around....unless your luggage is not on the carousel...

RWA380

Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:13 am

Quoting TravellerPlus (Reply 9):
I believe Comair of South Africa is better run than the suggested flag carriers. It was established in 1946 and successfully operates both full service (British Airways) and low cost (Kulula). Any privately run airline that has been around for over 60 years must be doing something right. The airline has been consistently profitable, despite operating in an environment where it's main competitor (SAA) has been bailed out on numerous occasions and many other competitors have gone bankrupt.

Having flown on both the Kulula and BA operations, I can attest to the high standards of both

I for one forgot to include ComAir. I did not know their longevity, but booked many a passenger on them. Do they fly 734's, or have they upgraded since 2005-2007?

Sepultallica

Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:45 am

Quoting olddominion727 (Reply 1):
Quoting weebie (Reply 4):
no SAA is one of the best run airlines in the world. It's probably better run than any airline in North America.

Really? With constant government bail outs, - the latest being a "request" for USD$750million - do you really think SAA is one of the best? Its sister airline SA Express had its entire board axed 2 weeks back because of a USD$120million accounting hole - was anyone prosecuted? Nyet. Excellent governance there.

Were it not for the SA government and its constant propping up of SAA, their own incompetence would have sunk them long ago.

ET, KQ and BA Comair have proven their worth through long term vision and prudent expansion, though overall KQ gets my vote as their playing field is far more open and competitive than ET's.
Chinokanganwa idemo; Chitsiga hachikanganwe. ✈

weebie

Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:51 am

Comair is domestic, Ethiopian and Kenya In my opinion are not in same league as SAA

RWA380

Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:03 am

Quoting weebie (Reply 12):
Comair is domestic, Ethiopian and Kenya In my opinion are not in same league as SAA

I see SA and QF in the same boat, they both have a beautiful land to call home, There is a great journey between their home countries and their largest markets. They both have had to plan their fleets with extra long haul in mind, and they have both pioneered aviation in their region and across the globe. Obviously the type of flying that is in demand is also not able to keep either carrier from financial troubles. I know there is more to it than just that, but these 2 carriers so share the same struggles because of their geography.

jfk777

Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:23 am

Quoting SepulTALLICA (Reply 11):
Really? With constant government bail outs, - the latest being a "request" for USD$750million - do you really think SAA is one of the best? Its sister airline SA Express had its entire board axed 2 weeks back because of a USD$120million accounting hole - was anyone prosecuted? Nyet. Excellent governance there.

SAA is a decent airline but its Government has its hand in its affairs.

Ethiopian is an airline which has always been good among African airlines, even when its country was run by dictators. It had 767 30 years ago.

Many African airlines have improved, Kenya and TAAG among them. Its amazing what a 777 will do for an airlines reputation as both TAAG and Kenya are 777 users.

N14AZ

Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:54 am

Quoting jfk777 (Reply 14):
Its amazing what a 777 will do for an airlines reputation as both TAAG and Kenya are 777 users.

With all due respect and of course we all know from your user name that you are a huge 777-fan. However, do you really think that particular aircraft type has an influence on their reputation?

Of course it's good to know that an african airline is using a modern and efficient airplane. However, I doubt that the fact that they are T7-operators has a significant influence on their reputation (see SA without a 777).

jumpjets

Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:07 pm

Ethiopian is an airline which has always been good among African airlines, even when its country was run by dictators. It had 767 30 years ago.

Indeed they did - my first ever long haul flight was with ET LHR-FRA-FCO-ADD on a B767 in 1984 [or maybe 1985]. Even allowing for my relative lack of flying experience at the time I was impressed with their service both on the ground and in the air.

G500

Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:38 pm

no SAA is one of the best run airlines in the world. It's probably better run than any airline in North America

South African has been bailed out by their government, haven't they? I flew South African once, excellent operation. Haven't flown Ethiopian

Sepultallica

Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:50 pm

Quoting N14AZ (Reply 15):
With all due respect and of course we all know from your user name that you are a huge 777-fan. However, do you really think that particular aircraft type has an influence on their reputation?

Of course it's good to know that an african airline is using a modern and efficient airplane. However, I doubt that the fact that they are T7-operators has a significant influence on their reputation (see SA without a 777).

What this guy said^.

For the record we aren't talking about quality of service, we're discussing Management (Thread title: "Is Ethiopian The Best Managed Airline In Africa? ").

Regardless of how many awards an airline has won for its cattle class feeding-trough food quality or how comfy their first class seats are, what matters at the end of the day is their financial bottom line which is directly related to how well the airline is managed.

TAAG, SAA, Royal Air Maroc, Air Austral etc may have relatively modern fleets and may rank high up there on the SkyTrax Quality Assurance system, but they are NOT examples of airlines that are well run. TAAG is heavily dependent on Angolan government funding as are SAA, RAM and numerous others. When they make a pigs breakfast of their financial year, instead of taking it on the chin and learning from the experience, they simply go squirming to government demanding a bailout who more often than not, oblige. All that does, is to perpetuate a culture of indifference and incompetence in a continent where those two vices are sadly very commonplace on parastatal boards.

An example of a well run airline in Africa, that literally started off from scratch (well, as a crop duster company) is Tanzania's Precision Air who have grown their company from practically nothing (despite massive undercutting by Air Tanzania who ironically are now grounded) and have managed to start a decent sized regional network. Rwanda's RwandAir is also a good example; they have built up their tiny carrier into a formidable regional force by making prudent steps and without going the "Bling Bling" route (starting flights to Paris, New York etc and ultimately winding up bankrupt) like so many other failed African carriers have.

Anyway, back to the original point, ET is one of the few government-protected entities in Africa (if not the world) that has actual gotten off its ass and made use of its leg up in life. As other posters here have mentioned, even during the times of The Derg (Mengistu Haile Mariam's communist regime that pretty much reduced the entire country to grinding poverty, and subjected the rest of the world to an onslaught of dreadful 80s pop ballads) ET still thrived.

The test of any company's real long term viability, not necessarily an airline, is not how well it fairs in good weather, but how it survives when times are tough and the economy weak. If even then it can turn a profit, then they know they are doing something right.

usflyer msp

Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:03 pm

ET was actually founded by TWA and the professional management culture that TWA instilled stuck around despite the TWA departure and government instability. Also, ET for decades was the only carrier that actually flew between African countries...most African carriers focused on connecting their country with their former colonizer not on regional connections.

thegreatRDU

Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:09 pm

Most of these airlines mentioned already are or have been on the government dole.....and that doesn't count!!   

I say Comair of South Africa.
Our Returning Champion

ETinCaribe

Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:55 pm

I am obviously biased (and won't try to hide that) but I cannot say if ET is the best managed airline since I don't know all the others. Safe to say it is one of the best run ones though. ET was complacent in the late 90s and early 2000s; KQ is the best thing that happened to it to wake them up. Seems like they have their act together once again.

I don't ET cares too much whether they are perceived as being the best run airline, they are too busy executing on their plans and making $$$.

I would also add RwandaAir to the list; they have made impressive strides in the past few years.

Its amazing what a 777 will do for an airlines reputation as both TAAG and Kenya are 777 users.

If it was only that simple...

sq_ek_freak

Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:14 pm

Um. ET is a member of Star as well.
Keep Discovering

airzim

Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:37 pm

Having worked with both carriers over several years in the late 90's and early 2000's, ET wins the crown hands down. Has has been stated, they were the first to successfully hub in Africa. They were the first (and for years) only way to travel East/West within Africa without having to fly through Europe or JNB. They maintained a modern fleet with a near perfect safety record. While not at the service league of their East Asian contemporaries, they manage to have a highly consistent and reliable product. Considering that they cannot rely on tourism, ethnic travel, nor a significant business market to fall back on, they've done a stunning job over the last 30 years.

SAA, had managerially been a mess.

jfk777

Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:42 pm

Quoting N14AZ (Reply 15):
Quoting ETinCaribe (Reply 21):

If it was only that simple...

Its NOT so simple sir. However they are NOT flying A330, they choose 777 so they could go to China from Africa which is a hell of a long way even from eastern African cities like Nairobi. Kenya Airways got its "expertise" from KLM. I don't know who helped out TAAG but they are on their second 777 order.

nomadd22

Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:44 pm

Quoting SepulTALLICA (Reply 18):

For the record we aren't talking about quality of service, we're discussing Management (Thread title: "Is Ethiopian The Best Managed Airline In Africa? ").

For the record, how can you evaluate management without talking about quality of service? That, financial performance and vision are what makes up quality of management.

[Edited 2012-08-21 09:45:07]
Anon

lhcvg

Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:05 pm

So to what extent do the above-mentioned carriers directly compete with one another? I'm curious, because from where I sit it seems like there are some different niches being covered -

-As mentioned above, SA is kind of like QF insofar as they specialize in longhaul travel bringing pax to their country from afar, with some transit stops such as IAD-DKR-JNB bringing in some extra pax there. Obviously they have some decent domestic and African business to boot, but given how far South they are I wonder how many people will fly, say, US-JNB-xxx or FRA-JNB-xxx outside of southern Africa

-ET and KQ seem to be well positioned to offer decent options for onward sub-Saharan African travel from points in the Northern Hemisphere where JNB would be a significant backtrack

-DT I'm not sure about - a smaller-scale version of ET and KQ? I put them above DT from what seems to be a larger longhaul operation at those two

-MS I would lump together with ET and KQ, but I wonder how much traffic they funnel to sub-Saharan Africa rather than North Africa and the Middle East, or points further East

-Comair seems limited given their lack of a longhaul operation, so they aren't an integrated long- and short-haul carrier like those above

Viscount724

Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:24 pm

Strongly disagree. The government doesn't know what to do with SAA. They recently hired a consultant to make recommendations on SAA's future as they can't continue the way they've been operating. Their traffic and market share are shrinking as they drop routes. Their only profitable routes are a few of their regional routes within Africa where they have little competition.

[Edited 2012-08-21 11:51:36]

Motorhussy

Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:35 pm

This may be your opinion about SA, but I'm not sure you're aware how often the airline's commercial decisions are compromised by political interference - the carpet doesn't match the curtains.

ET is run by airline professionals and has succeeded despite the disadvantage of recurrent natural born economic disasters in its home nation and political uncertainty, wars on its borders etc. In my opinion ET could teach SA more than a thing or two about how to run an airline - or maybe the Ethiopian government could teach its South African counterpart a thing or two about giving its airline commercial autonomy.

Regards
MH
come visit the south pacific

G500

Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:12 pm

Quoting motorhussy (Reply 28):
ET is run by airline professionals and has succeeded despite the disadvantage of recurrent natural born economic disasters in its home nation and political uncertainty, wars on its borders etc. In my opinion ET could teach SA more than a thing or two about how to run an airline

good post

That's the reason I started this thread... I've been wondering how ET is so succesfull, ordering 777s and 787s and expanding, when the country of Ethiopa is a small economy, hit with continous naturals disasters, strife, etc

Sepultallica

Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:37 pm

Quoting LHCVG (Reply 26):
-As mentioned above, SA is kind of like QF insofar as they specialize in longhaul travel bringing pax to their country from afar, with some transit stops such as IAD-DKR-JNB bringing in some extra pax there. Obviously they have some decent domestic and African business to boot, but given how far South they are I wonder how many people will fly, say, US-JNB-xxx or FRA-JNB-xxx outside of southern Africa

-ET and KQ seem to be well positioned to offer decent options for onward sub-Saharan African travel from points in the Northern Hemisphere where JNB would be a significant backtrack

-DT I'm not sure about - a smaller-scale version of ET and KQ? I put them above DT from what seems to be a larger longhaul operation at those two

-MS I would lump together with ET and KQ, but I wonder how much traffic they funnel to sub-Saharan Africa rather than North Africa and the Middle East, or points further East

-Comair seems limited given their lack of a longhaul operation, so they aren't an integrated long- and short-haul carrier like those above

Yeaaaah, Sort of.

What you need to keep in mind is that the Eurozone crisis and global oil prices have forced alot of these African carriers to look back to Africa as a solution to their viability problems.

- SA has pretty much turned its focus to Africa and the Far East of late. With Europe's economy in the collective bog, it has scaled back its operations there and pushed for greater penetration into the very under-served, yet extremely lucrative Central & West African markets, to whom they have launched 5 routes in the last 6 months. In the past, SA could have given a rat's ass about ops to this part of the Continent, leaving it to Inter Air (who actually raked it in despite flying very uneconomical aircraft on the routes) but have realized their folly, only by seeing how well ET (with ASKY in particular) and KQ have done there. As always, SA is late to the party...

http://i.imgur.com/k1mQL.png

-BA Comair are a regional carrier now more than anything, having initially started off as an exclusively domestic airline but now serve Mauritius, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Namibia with plans to add Mozambique by October. They have done exceptionally well considering the tough market conditions apropos LCCs in South Africa.

-DT is not a smaller version of ET or KQ. It is there to simply provide a point to point service for the Angolan diaspora and the Oil Industry, nothing more. As mentioned in my previous post, they need government $$$ to survive and are also fortunate in that they are heavily protected from international carriers (see how low BA, AF, LH, TP, EK weekly flight frequencies to LAD are, and how exorbitant the prices get).

Air Namibia (SW), however, is a budding version of KQ and ET having finally figured out that tourism to Namibia alone can't pay their bills, hence their entry into the regional feeder market to Zimbabwe, Botswana, Angola and Zambia.

-MS is only just starting to venture back into the sub-Saharan market, though it will have to come along way before it can earn the market share taken up by KQ & ET.

-Air Algerie (AH) is pushing hard to re-establish its long neglected Africa network. they hope to transform ALG into a hub, something akin to what TIP and Afriqiyah were before Gaddhafi got popped.

On a final note, keep an eye on TK, yes Turkish Airlines. Of late they have pushed very hard into Africa and have consolidated many new routes in West Africa in particular. If there is any carrier with a half-assed chance in hell of wrestling ET and KQ's Africa-Europe traffic share, its TK.

Another 6 destinations (Abuja, Kano, Enugu, Conakry, Freetown and Douala ) should be added to this map before year end.

lhcvg

Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:43 pm

Quoting SepulTALLICA (Reply 30):

Thanks for the detail! Some pretty interesting insight

Mortyman

Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:07 pm

They are both in * Alliance as is Egypt Air

AwysBSB

Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:50 pm

ET does really shows signs of being proactive. It plans to launch an atypical route to GRU in an attempt to get the same benefits of TK, EK and QR on Brazil-Asia market.
In the beginning, a 763 operating ADD-LFW-GRU may not be successful, but *A brings them the opportunity of code sharing with SN on LFW-BRU route.
ET has choices to keep expanding and making new admirers.

Amexair

Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:34 pm

Quoting N14AZ (Reply 6):
Please apologize my ignorance, I am working in Middle East / North Africa and not so familiar with that region. How comes they are doing so well? I mean, since the average income in Ethiopia is still low I wouldn't expect a huge O&D market in Ethopia. I know there are a lot of development programmes financed by the usual international donors but I think this creates only a small part of the traffic.

I am just curious because when I grew up I would have never expected to see the national airline of Ethiopia flying the most modern passenger jet shortly after the launch customer and therefore a brief reply would be highly appreciated.

PS.: did you know that Bob Geldorf initially had written "and there won't be snow in Ethiopia this Christmas Time" but his co-writer Midge Ure came to the conclusion that this is very difficult to sing (just try it) so he replaced Ethiopia with Africa.

Well nowadays, it comes to a major surprise to all of us that the country's image in the West being synonymous with famine. Over the past decade or so, the country has shown unprecedented economic growth. In fact it is one of the fastest top five growing economies in the world. It is a country with a population of over 80 million people and has a vast population of diaspora in the western world. But Ethiopian has always had a great reputation, it is one of the oldest airlines in the world and its hub Addis Ababa being prime location being in the heart of Africa, makes its a suitable hub much like DXB for transiting passenger from Europe and America's to the rest of Africa. Management at Ethiopian is exemplary! It is indeed Africa's fastest growing airline merely because of the hard work and determination of its management team. There is no doubt that it is one of the best run airlines not only in Africa but even the world. When several airlines even reached bankruptcy, ET was one of the top ten most profitable airlines in the world.
Visit Ethiopia yourself and you'll realize what I'm talking about   .

vv701

Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:38 pm

Quoting TravellerPlus (Reply 9):
I believe Comair of South Africa is better run than the suggested flag carriers. It was established in 1946 and successfully operates both full service (British Airways) and low cost (Kulula). Any privately run airline that has been around for over 60 years must be doing something right. The airline has been consistently profitable

Here the important words are "consistently profitable". Although it lost money in the second half of 2011 I believe Comair has been profitable in each and every full calendar year since it was founded sixty-six years ago? Does any other airline have a similar or better profIt record? If not does this record not only make it arguably the best managed airline in Africa but possibly the best managed airline in the world?

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 10):
Do they fly 734's, or have they upgraded since 2005-2007?

They ordered eight 738s in February 2011for delivery this year, next year and in 2014.

Comair is domestic

Additionally they operate to LVI (Zambia), HRE (Zimbabwe) MRU (Mauritius), VFA (Zimbabwe) and WDH (Namibia). The JNB-MRU flight is a 2,000 mile trans-ocean flight.

They also commenced a service to MPM (Mozambique). However the yields were poor and to maintain their second-to-none profitability record, their management suspended this service late last year.

Sepultallica

Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:59 pm

Quoting VV701 (Reply 35):
They also commenced a service to MPM (Mozambique). However the yields were poor and to maintain their second-to-none profitability record, their management suspended this service late last year.

Are you sure man? I have seen a route request by Comair Holdings (i.e Ba Comair & Kulula) to apply for a 14x weekly JNB - MPM route once more, starting October.

Here it is: http://www.info.gov.za/view/DownloadFileAction?id=171672

RyanairGuru

Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:24 pm

SAA is one of the best run airlines in the world. It's probably better run than any airline in North America.

You mean those poorly run airlines like WN, AS, DL and (yes, despite their labor issues) US? Right, I understand now
Worked Hard, Flew Right

vv701

Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:31 am

Quoting SepulTALLICA (Reply 36):
Are you sure man?

Yes.

From the Comair press release of 31 January 2012:

'Route reviews and rationalisation to ensure contribution to profitability have seen Comair cancel two services to neighbouring countries. “The decision to discontinue the Lanseria to Maputo and Gaborone routes in the last quarter of 2011 was prompted by the fact that the market cannot support fares that are high enough to keep these routes profitable” explains Venter.'

A significant problem here was the US $ price increase over the previous year in aviation fuel compounded by the werakness of the RSA Rand as explained in the full press release containing the above quote here:

http://www.comair.co.za/html/articleView.asp?ArticleID=159

Sepultallica

Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:06 am

Quoting VV701 (Reply 38):

Yes.

From the Comair press release of 31 January 2012:

'Route reviews and rationalisation to ensure contribution to profitability have seen Comair cancel two services to neighbouring countries. “The decision to discontinue the Lanseria to Maputo and Gaborone routes in the last quarter of 2011 was prompted by the fact that the market cannot support fares that are high enough to keep these routes profitable” explains Venter.'

A significant problem here was the US $ price increase over the previous year in aviation fuel compounded by the werakness of the RSA Rand as explained in the full press release containing the above quote here:

http://www.comair.co.za/html/article...D=159

Thanks a bunch VV!

Lanseria has proven to be a tough hub to operate out of - even 1Time has bailed on it in favour of JNB.