YankeesFan
Topic Author

Combining JFK, EWR, And LGA Into One Airport.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:26 pm

Just thought of a extreme idea. Combining JFK, EWR, and LGA into one mega airport. Would it work? Also, I want to know why it would work or not.
I hope you stand by your promises Obama. I will be really mad if you don't

LAXdude1023

RE: Combining JFK, EWR, And LGA Into One Airport.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:35 pm

Sounds like hell on earth.

It wont work because there is no spot relatively close where there is that much free land. To have an airport that can handle that much traffic, you would require a lot more space than any of the three airports has. It would also require about a dozen terminals and by that point it defeats the purpose.

The big selling point about LaGuardia is that its convenient to the city. An airport of that size would probably have to be located in a far flung exurb. At that point, it isnt convenient.
It is what it is...

bmacleod

The first impression I get is it screams of red lights from FAA New York ATC and of course the airlines.....can't see how anyone would have a favorable impression of this...

[Edited 2012-08-22 07:36:43]
The engine is the heart of an airplane, but the pilot is its soul.

azstar

Where would you put a new airport? LGA is out of the question, and both EWR & JFK are already at capacity with no room for expansion.

YankeesFan
Topic Author

Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:38 pm

Thanks... It was just a thought for like 20+ years in the future when air traffic will grow.....

b727fa

Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:40 pm

Easy fix: tear down Queens and build it there. The AirTrain can then connect the two "campuses" of LGA and JFK and you're done...

JOKE!
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

mogandoCI

Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:44 pm

Airport access is the biggest concern - the airport needs to be connected to major highways and that pax from north/east/west could access it without the bottlenecks of tunnels/bridges.

Although not the most ideal, but if we have to choose a single existing airport and expand it to fill the roles of all 3, it would be JFK.

YankeesFan
Topic Author

Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:45 pm

Quoting B727FA (Reply 5):
Easy fix: tear down Queens and build it there. The AirTrain can then connect the two "campuses" of LGA and JFK and you're done...

JOKE!

Or put it on a man made island south of Brooklyn.  

RL757PVD

Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:47 pm

Here's a quick summary fo what you are probably looking at...

6 Runways
300 ish gates
2 control towers
Massive air cargo facilities
High speed rail connection
Significant environmental and social backlash (assuming this airport would go in the lower hudson area between SWF and Manhattan
Up to 100,000 auto parking spaces

My "ballpark" cost estimate - $80-100 Billion, possibly more.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

YankeesFan
Topic Author

Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:50 pm

Quoting RL757PVD (Reply 8):

Yep. Sounds far fetched doesn't it?

jumpjets

Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:58 pm

If you think this is far fetched take a look at the 'Could An "Artificial Island Airport" Replace LHR?' thread where the idea of creating an island in the Thames estuary is being floated [pardon the pun] as a replacement for LHR and LGW - so watch out coastal New York, it could be your turn for a new island ....

N62NA

Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:04 pm

It would have to be located a few miles offshore of Brooklyn in the Atlantic Ocean on an artificial island.

Also, it would have to ONLY be accessible via high speed rail links (plural). The train could be a "two class" service - open seating (economy) and a more private (business class) arrangement. It would be sensible to run 4 lines this offshore airport: One from the current EWR location, another from the Jamaica station in Queens, and another one serving Manhattan that would start at Penn station, go down to the WTC to pickup pax in downtown NYC and maybe another line from White Plains that would make a stop or two in The Bronx.

max550

Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:04 pm

Quoting azstar (Reply 3):
Where would you put a new airport? LGA is out of the question, and both EWR & JFK are already at capacity with no room for expansion.

Central Park, of course.

http://manhattanairport.org/

YankeesFan
Topic Author

Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:08 pm

Quoting jumpjets (Reply 10):
If you think this is far fetched take a look at the 'Could An "Artificial Island Airport" Replace LHR?' thread where the idea of creating an island in the Thames estuary is being floated [pardon the pun] as a replacement for LHR and LGW - so watch out coastal New York, it could be your turn for a new island ....

I looked at that earlier. That encouraged me to share my idea with fellow A Netters.

EWRandMDW

Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:08 pm

Quoting YankeesFan (Thread starter):
Combining JFK, EWR, and LGA into one mega airport. Would it work? Also, I want to know why it would work or not.

You have two states sharing the three airports, EWR in New Jersey and the other two in New York. I can't imagine New Jersey allowing EWR to be torn up for a consolidated airport, especially if it is located within the boundaries of New York. Same for New York never permitting a consolidated airport to be within the boundaries of New Jersey. There's too much money and local pride at stake. I think an analogy would be building a joint London/Paris airport in the English Channel and have it be part of England (or France).

mham001

Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:10 pm

Just use the Hudson River.

jfklganyc

Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:12 pm

The artificial island airport was floated in the 70s. Was to be south of Brooklyn and east of Sandy Point.

Never implemented.

Sadly, we don't do great public works like that in the USA anymore. Enjoy the 3 airports as is...they will be that way throughout our lifetimes.

incitatus

Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:14 pm

Just thought of a extreme idea. Combining JFK, EWR, and LGA into one mega airport. Would it work? Also, I want to know why it would work or not.

Combine JFK, EWR, LGA and PHL into a massive facility in Fort Dix, in the middle of NJ - kinda of making NJ into one airport. Build HSR between Manhattan and downtown Philly going through the airport. Create check-in facilities and security in both Philly downtown and Manhattan, letting passengers out of the rail line into the secure area inside the airport. Plug HSR directly into the airport's inside-security light rail (walk out of HSR wagon into the light-rail wagon) so that no passenger has to walk more than 100 yards inside the airport.
Stop pop up ads

jcwr56

Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:14 pm

Here's a quick summary fo what you are probably looking at...

6 Runways
300 ish gates
2 control towers
Significant environmental and social backlash (assuming this airport would go in the lower hudson area between SWF and Manhattan

My "ballpark" cost estimate - $80-100 Billion, possibly more.

Sounds like politicans and unions wetdream....or here locally, Jessie Jacksons Jr.s one...

EWRandMDW

Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:15 pm

Quoting mham001 (Reply 15):

Where would you put it? There are bridges, existing islands in the river (Governor's, Ellis, Bedloe's, Staten), seaports, and auto and rail tunnels to contend with.

YankeesFan
Topic Author

Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:19 pm

EWRandMDW
The three airports are part of the PANYNJ.

[Edited 2012-08-22 08:22:40]

EWRandMDW

Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:29 pm

Quoting YankeesFan (Reply 20):
The three airports are part of the PANYNJ.

This has been discussed many times here, but once again, EWR is OWNED by the City of NEWARK and under long-term lease to the PA. Both states have to approve such a major undertaking. Remember, the name is Port Authority of New York AND New Jersey!. Maybe the agency should move its HQ to either Newark or Jersey City in New Jersey and rename itself Port Authority of New Jersey and New York? Do you think NY would go for that?

YankeesFan
Topic Author

Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:37 pm

Quoting EWRandMDW (Reply 21):
This has been discussed many times here, but once again, EWR is OWNED by the City of NEWARK and under long-term lease to the PA. Both states have to approve such a major undertaking. Remember, the name is Port Authority of New York AND New Jersey!. Maybe the agency should move its HQ to either Newark or Jersey City in New Jersey and rename itself Port Authority of New Jersey and New York? Do you think NY would go for that?

Thanks for telling me something I know already. I know PANYNJ stands for Port Authority of NY AND NJ. How are the airports in their current state going to handle an increasing # of pax in the future?

kl911

Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:08 pm

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 1):
It wont work because there is no spot relatively close where there is that much free land. To have an airport that can handle that much traffic, you would require a lot more space than any of the three airports has

Well, Heathrow isnt occupying that much space, and is the largest or almost largest airport in the world. Also Gatwick as largest single runway airport is an example. i reckon it has more to do how you manage the flow then with space.

But in general I think Americans first have to de-stress and quit the time is money thinking, so frequency will still be important but much lower, enabling larger planes to fly routes.

With all modern technology you would think that 3 flights a day on a route would be enough, the time normally spend waiting can be used to work remote using whatever devices.

ASA

Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:12 pm

Quoting EWRandMDW (Reply 19):
Quoting mham001 (Reply 15):

Where would you put it? There are bridges, existing islands in the river (Governor's, Ellis, Bedloe's, Staten), seaports, and auto and rail tunnels to contend with.

I think he meant the Chesley "Sully" Sullenburger option ... 

ASA

Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:17 pm

Wouldn't this be the urban equivalent of putting Queens, Brooklyn, Jamaica, and the Jersey side all in Manhattan Island?   

Also, why would you do this ... errr, if I may call it, putting all eggs in one basket? (from an operational perspective)   

Now, here are two options if we HAD to do it:  

1. Build up a HKG / KIX style island off Long Island ...
2. Flatten Staten Island and make it only an airport.

mham001

Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:25 pm

Quoting ASA (Reply 24):
I think he meant the Chesley "Sully" Sullenburger option ... 

Thank you. Good to see humor is not totally dead here.

Beyond that though, it does solve the problem of fighting between NJ and NY over who gets it, it is centrally located and it is open space.  

mysterzip

Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:25 pm

All of the three airports may have to make do with the territory they have. Any move outside of those will be met with hostility from the residents that live there (that are already mad because there are planes that are flying around their heads).

If you want to think outside the box, I think interconnectivity is key. Why does an airline have to fly into both airports, allegedly paying twice as much for facilities, labor, contracts, etc., when they can pool their resources into one? A few years back, NY Magazine had an excellent idea: http://nymag.com/news/features/27826/

YankeesFan
Topic Author

Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:44 pm

Quoting mysterzip (Reply 27):

I like that. Or there can be a high speed line connecting the 3 airports.

jfk777

Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:12 pm

IF New York were to build an airport like that Newark would have to stay open, the politics are too greasy. But a combined LGA/JFK replacement would cost billions and where would you put the things ? Stewart Airport north of teh city has several times been considered and it is owned by the PANYNJ. JFK probably wil be no bigger as the enviromentalists would cry about Jamaica Bay and residents don't want a bigger JFK.

The only solution in the next 20 years I see is an additional runway at JFK.

FlyingHollander

Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:14 pm

I had fun drawing some ideas, this is one of them.

If the harbor in Newark Bay south of the I-78 were moved and some land would be reclaimed to make it one big square you could easily double maybe even triple the size of EWR. 8 runways total, 2 paralel to the water then two HUGE T5 (LHR) typed terminals wich individually would be at least be the size of EWR. (Two separate rather than 1 terminal so that planes can reach the runways easier.) Unlike T5 the buildings would't be completely square but they would have numerous "bays" to maximize gate space. Further toward EWR there would be at least two new runways next to EWR's current two paralel runways. To do this the I-95 will need to be tunneld. Next to these runways off course is the current EWR. There would then still be 1 existing east west runway and one new one. Underground trains will connect the terminals with each other making transfers possible without having to reclear security. There will be two new acces roads, one in the north one in the south.

Estimated capacity: 150.000.000-200.000.000 passengers a year.

New York has to think big. It is a huge city with 3 big airports. Demand for air travel will only rise. None of the plans will have 100% backing. But expansion will be necessary.
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much.

COEWR787

Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:19 pm

Quoting YankeesFan (Reply 22):
How are the airports in their current state going to handle an increasing # of pax in the future?

There are plans already in place to add capacity to JFK and EWR and then for further additional traffic develop Stewart (which is another PANYNJ managed airport) near Newburgh with an HSR connection to New York.

There is absolutely zero probability of ever getting a single consolidated airport in the New York area at least in the next 50 years or more.

YankeesFan
Topic Author

Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:19 pm

Quoting FlyingHollander (Reply 30):

That is a nice idea too.

YankeesFan
Topic Author

Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:21 pm

Quoting COEWR787 (Reply 31):

Or less than 10% because ANYTHING can happen.

N62NA

Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:21 pm

Quoting kl911 (Reply 23):

But in general I think Americans first have to de-stress and quit the time is money thinking, so frequency will still be important but much lower, enabling larger planes to fly routes.

Or, same frequency, bigger planes to meet demand.

Quoting mysterzip (Reply 27):
Why does an airline have to fly into both airports, allegedly paying twice as much for facilities, labor, contracts, etc., when they can pool their resources into one?

We're kind of seeing that already in the NYC market. AA and DL have pretty much abandoned EWR, offering just flights to their hubs, which is what one would expect of markets much smaller than EWR and not from such a rich O&D market as EWR's. Same with UA in terms of LGA/JFK.

STT757

Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:40 pm

Quoting N62NA (Reply 34):
AA and DL have pretty much abandoned EWR, offering just flights to their hubs,

Is AMS a DL hub? I know it's a KLM hub, whom they have a joint venture, but is it a DL hub like SLC, ATL, DTW etc..
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

mogandoCI

Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:43 pm

We're kind of seeing that already in the NYC market. AA and DL have pretty much abandoned EWR, offering just flights to their hubs, which is what one would expect of markets much smaller than EWR and not from such a rich O&D market as EWR's. Same with UA in terms of LGA/JFK.

UA has definitely abandoned JFK, but their LGA-ORD presence (and market share) is still formidable, and their grandfathered LGA-DEN service allows many far west small cities 1-stop access into LGA, which is quite a competitive advantage.

YankeesFan
Topic Author

Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:45 pm

Quoting STT757 (Reply 35):
AA and DL have pretty much abandoned EWR, offering just flights to their hubs,

Is AMS a DL hub? I know it's a KLM hub, whom they have a joint venture, but is it a DL hub like SLC, ATL, DTW etc..

Yes it is.

FlyingHollander

Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:51 pm

Is AMS a DL hub?

Delta says it is. DL flies to SEA, PDX, MSP, DTW, MEM, BOS, JFK, EWR, ATL and BOM from AMS. So besides EWR DL only serves its hubs and focus cities in the US. The BOM operation is there to allow US passengers to get there on an American carrier. I would'nt call AMS (or CDG for that matter) a DL hub but a focus city.

[Edited 2012-08-22 10:52:05]
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much.

plateman

Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:51 pm

I thought this thread was a joke then realized it is not 01-April

Quoting incitatus (Reply 17):

Combine JFK, EWR, LGA and PHL into a massive facility in Fort Dix, in the middle of NJ - kinda of making NJ into one airport.

Just get rid of New Jersey and made it a giant airport ... it may be for the better and certainly has the fuel reserves to support an airport
"Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain

rmoore7734

Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:09 pm

6 Runways
300 ish gates
2 control towers

Shut down the PHL & NYC area airports and do following.

All you have to do is hide it in the middle of the 115,000 acre Wharton State Forest in NJ & just use 6000 acres because ATL only uses 4700 acres that has 5 runways & 207 gates. Amazing what the ATL airport does on so few acres.

problem solved   

N62NA

Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:27 pm

Of course it is - it is an international hub for DL - and you know it. So what's your point of asking the question?

JHCRJ700

Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:00 pm

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 1):
Sounds like hell on earth.

My first thought!

Quoting jumpjets (Reply 10):
f you think this is far fetched take a look at the 'Could An "Artificial Island Airport" Replace LHR?' thread where the idea of creating an island in the Thames estuary is being floated [pardon the pun] as a replacement for LHR and LGW - so watch out coastal New York, it could be your turn for a new island ....

I saw that earlier...Oh brother...

Quoting max550 (Reply 12):
Central Park, of course.

I took a look at their website. Are these people serious? That will NEVER happen for sooo many reasons. The first thing that came to my mind was how are the planes going to clear the obstacles? And just imagine if one couldn't clear the obstacles and crashed?!

As far as combining all three airports that would be a project of epic scale. Something we aren't likely to ever see. But if they were to do a completely new NY/NJ airport I think it'd probably have to be something like Hong Kong's and on an artificial island.
RUSH

cokepopper

Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:44 pm

Staten Island would be perfect. You would't loose anything if you tore it down, plus
you would have water access all around....perfect solution!  

spacecadet

Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:53 pm

This topic, or a similar one, comes up about once every 3 months here, with varying degrees of seriousness.

It could never work because you wouldn't need to just rebuild the airport, you'd need to rearrange the entire city. How do you expect people to get there? One of the big reasons having three airports works is that they're each convenient to a specific group of people; New Jerseyans don't need to go through (or around) Manhattan to get to EWR, ditto for Long Islanders with JFK, and LGA works well for business travelers who are *in* Manhattan.

Combine the three airports into one, and you're going to have to build a brand new transportation infrastructure to get at least two of those three groups there. And while you can say "oh, just build it on an artificial island" about the airport itself, you can't just take all the highways and rail connections you'd need and put them on an island somewhere too. These *have to* run through areas that are already densely populated. And we're talking miles and miles of highways and tracks.

One of the big problems with New York is that there's just no good way to avoid the streets of Manhattan if you need to get from one side of it to the other. The only highway that really cuts through it at all is 95, which connects the Cross Bronx Expressway to the GW Bridge to NJ. But the CBE is often quite literally a parking lot along its entire length as it is, and delays getting onto the bridge coming from NJ often top an hour or more even during non-peak hours. So there's really no way to route the traffic for any new airport that way, and even if you could, that's hardly very convenient to any "island" airport you'd put in the water even on its best day.

So assuming you build an island airport somewhere, you'd have to also build massively long bridges and tunnels to reach it from every side, along with connections to existing highways and tracks (so even then, you'd have to cut through populated areas at least a bit). And you'd have to build these in such a way as they don't interfere with shipping - that actually means tunnels probably wouldn't even work, and bridges would need to be very tall. I mean you're talking probably $1 trillion just for the transportation projects alone, not even for the airport.

And there's absolutely nowhere else you could put a mega-airport like this other than the water. It'd probably take up a land mass the size of Manhattan. Sure, you'd reclaim the area now being used by the three current airports, but again you're talking about rearranging the entire city, uprooting businesses and residents, rebuilding entire neighborhoods and resettling people. Unless there's some kind of major disaster that forces this to happen, it's not going to. There's not enough gold in Fort Knox to pay for all that.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

par13del

Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:15 pm

Quoting YankeesFan (Reply 22):
How are the airports in their current state going to handle an increasing # of pax in the future?

Well a couple of things to think of:
1. Is the population of New York City and Newark growing or are people moving to the suburbs?
2. Do we have new business moving into NY/ Ewr area faster than any moving out?

Pax numbers may be increasing but they have to be driven by something, in this case it would have to be a growing population, business or otherwise, NYC / EWR area is not at a crossroads for connectivity as other airports due to its geographic location. Yes airlines may funnel traffic into their hub but unless point to point flying goes away, folks in the suburbs may find it easier and more convenient to use other airports, on a smaller scale, look at the current dynamics between the 3 airports being discussed.
I'm certain there were plans to close LGA when JFK went line, no different than DAL and DFW, as that case, why would JFK and EWR after all these years still harbour fears of LGA being open and perimiter restrictions lifted.

COEWR787

Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:03 pm

The FAA Terminal Area Forecast Summary 2011 to 2040 says about annual boarding projections for 2040 compared to 2010 are:

JFK 2010 22.395 billion 2040 64.707 billion
EWR 2010 16.498 billion 2040 34.281 billion
LGA 2010 11.801 billion 2040 23.321 billion

There are definite plans to add a runway and relocate and expand terminal buildings at EWR, and make relatively large additions to JFK. Stewart is currently considered the lead candidate for development of a 4th major airport in the area. Of course Islip and Westchester will also expand some. All in all the direction appears to be to have multiple airports to disperse traffic rather than going towards one giant airport. I have seen no plans, none whatsoever that even talks of thinking about one giant airport to consolidate all NY area airports so far.

ASA

Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:10 pm

Quoting COEWR787 (Reply 46):
JFK 2010 22.395 billion 2040 64.707 billion
EWR 2010 16.498 billion 2040 34.281 billion
LGA 2010 11.801 billion 2040 23.321 billion

billion?!! am I seeing it right? World population is 7 billion.   

spacecadet

Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:27 pm

Quoting ASA (Reply 47):

In 2040, every man, woman and child on the planet will fly an average of 100 times per year  
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

YankeesFan
Topic Author

Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:40 pm

Quoting ASA (Reply 47):

Yep.   JK. I am sure he meant million instead of billion.