skycub
Topic Author

Unarmed Man Takes Over Cockpit Of AA Eagle Jet

Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:49 pm

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Man-t...r-cockpit-of-plane--167085805.html

"DALLAS - An unarmed man has taken over the cockpit of an empty American Eagle plane at the Baton Rouge Metro Airport, authorities said.

The plane was part of Flight 2795, which was scheduled to leave Baton Rouge bound to Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport. The flight was canceled.

The plane is currently on the ground and authorities are attempting to get the man to come out."
My opinions are my own. They are not representative of my employer, my union or my co-workers. They are all mine.

spiritair97

RE: Unarmed Man Takes Over Cockpit Of AA Eagle Jet

Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:59 pm

Quoting skycub (Thread starter):
http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Man-t...r-cockpit-of-plane--167085805.html

"DALLAS - An unarmed man has taken over the cockpit of an empty American Eagle plane at the Baton Rouge Metro Airport, authorities said.

The plane was part of Flight 2795, which was scheduled to leave Baton Rouge bound to Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport. The flight was canceled.

The plane is currently on the ground and authorities are attempting to get the man to come out."

These hijackers are getting more and more creative. What is this guy trying to accomplish? Take a nap in the cockpit until the SWAT Team gets him out?

[Edited 2012-08-22 14:02:15]

DocLightning

Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:31 pm

Quoting spiritair97 (Reply 1):

These hijackers are getting more and more creative. What is this guy trying to accomplish? Take a nap in the cockpit until the SWAT Team gets him out?

My guess is that it will turn out that he is either disturbed or mentally disabled. It will be interesting to learn how he accessed the tarmac and made it onto an empty aircraft.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

AR385

Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:44 pm

I´m sure that unless he figures out how to turn on the APU (if that plane has one) he must not be too comfy inside. Middle of the afternoon in Lousiana in August is just not my kind of weather.

AviRaider

Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:46 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 2):
My guess is that it will turn out that he is either disturbed or mentally disabled. It will be interesting to learn how he accessed the tarmac and made it onto an empty aircraft.

Maybe his jetski broke down.

Acey559

Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:52 pm

He pushed his way past the gate agent and ran down the jetbridge, then locked himself inside the cockpit. Don't know why the cockpit door was even open though, we have a policy that we lock the cockpit door if there aren't any crewmembers around.

spiritair97

Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:09 pm

You're right about the disturbia.

PHX787

Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:15 pm

Yeah i think it's more of another disgruntled employee.

Quoting spiritair97 (Reply 6):

Recall the OO plane a few weeks back- was that w/o?
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

Goldenshield

Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:31 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 7):
Quoting spiritair97 (Reply 6):

Recall the OO plane a few weeks back- was that w/o?

Except he was already qualified on the plane, and had a military background.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

PHX787

Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:11 pm

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 8):
Except he was already qualified on the plane, and had a military background.

oh in this case the guy wasn't, eh?

Looks like he surrendered.

Good job for law enforcement cutting the engine power before he could do anything reckless
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

EMBQA

Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:29 pm

You don't need ground power to start a plane. You do need to know how do it though...
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

ghifty

Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:04 am

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 10):
You do need to know how do it though...

What if potential [insert various forms of wrongdoers] figure out how to start the aircraft? Would it be hard for Boeing, Airbus, etc., to add a security device that requires crew input to begin startup procedures?

Right now it seems like the only things in the way of a hijacking/takeover are purely mechanical.
Fly Delta Jets

Maverick623

Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:52 am

Quoting ghifty (Reply 11):

Right now it seems like the only things in the way of a hijacking/takeover are purely mechanical.

And that's how you'd stop it:

Throw crap into the engines.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

United727

Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:56 am

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 12):
And that's how you'd stop it:

Throw crap into the engines.

Huh?? Destroy perfectly good turbines??? :O

I was under the impression that EFIS/FDC entries were required on most modern jetliners to begin a start sequence!?!? Correct?

flightsimer

Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:08 am

Quoting United727 (Reply 13):

what makes you think they couldnt get any password that would be needed to start? the only thing you can do is physically take out the possibility
Commercial Pilot- SEL, MEL, Instrument

Acey559

Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:14 am

All you need is electricity and air. The Embraer is incredibly easy to start because it's all electronic. All you need is APU bleed air and to select the start/stop selector to start momentarily, the computers take care of the rest.

Goldenshield

Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:19 am

I was under the impression that EFIS/FDC entries were required on most modern jetliners to begin a start sequence!?!? Correct?

The ACARS is down? Nooo!!!! No I can't go anywhere!

Quoting Acey559 (Reply 15):
The Embraer is incredibly easy to start because it's all electronic.

Unless it's the 120, then you just need electricity.  
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

DocLightning

Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:24 am

Quoting ghifty (Reply 11):
What if potential [insert various forms of wrongdoers] figure out how to start the aircraft? Would it be hard for Boeing, Airbus, etc., to add a security device that requires crew input to begin startup procedures?

What are they going to do with it then? An aircraft theft at a commercial airport isn't a subtle thing. Someone is going to notice that a plane that ought not to be moving is moving really quickly. If not the ground crew, then Tower. How long would it take to scramble a few fire trucks to block the entrance to the runway?

Failing that, AF jets could be scrambled very quickly to shoot it down. They're touchy about that sort of thing.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Acey559

Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:26 am

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 16):
Unless it's the 120, then you just need electricity

Haha Touche.  

Maverick623

Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:22 am

Nope. APU and bleed air, that's it.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 17):
How long would it take to scramble a few fire trucks to block the entrance to the runway?

Longer than it would take for the plane to take off if it was only noticed when the plane was moving.

It takes less than 5 minutes to start up both engines on an airplane.

Failing that, AF jets could be scrambled very quickly to shoot it down. They're touchy about that sort of thing.

Depending on the airport, it could take an hour for fighters to arrive. BTR.... maybe 10-15 minutes. In major metro airports, you could do your damage before the fighters are in the air.

iFlyLOTs

Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:43 am

This guy clearly just wanted an all expenses paid trip to Cuba.
I hear there's a nice resort there, right on a bay at the southern end...
"...stay hungry, stay foolish" -Steve Jobs

KaiGywer
Crew

Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:53 am

How long would it take to scramble a few fire trucks to block the entrance to the runway?

Not long, but when you think about it...you're supposed to take off on a runway, doesn't mean it's the only place it's possible. Somebody wants to get airborne bad enough, they'll do it
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

ChazPilot

Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:33 am

"The plane is currently on the ground and authorities are attempting to get the man to come out."

Is it Tom Cruise?

shufflemoomin

Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:14 am

"The plane is currently on the ground and authorities are attempting to get the man to come out."

All this security theatre in the US trying to prevent terrorism and then someone finally makes it into a situation where they could do real harm and all they do is "attempt to get him out"? How, exactly, where they doing that?

pvjin

Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:15 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 21):

If he wanted to go to Guantanamo I think he will be disappointed and rather find himself from some mental hospital.

Though there are couple of really nice touristy beach resorts in Cuba, maybe he wanted to fly to one of them?
"Optimism is the madness of insisting that all is well when we are miserable." - Voltaire

ikramerica

Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:23 pm

Probably just missed the bus to Louton.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

N14AZ

Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:25 pm

Quoting ChazPilot (Reply 22):

What's the current status?

Heck, if it would have been a B 707 or a DC 8, I would understand that man, but an EMB???  

par13del

Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:25 pm

A perfect example to congress why the funding of the TSA needs to be increased, the holes that lack of funding has created is publicy exposed, shame on congress.
Initial plans to have mental analysis done at checkpoints was dismissed as unnecessary, plans to have it done at jetways as dual use technology offering to also calm pax who are already irritated by long lines and fear of flying were also dismissed.
Now the "do nothing" congress will have no choice but to increase funding to ensure addtional mental screening is done at all airports ASAP.
In other news, a tropical storm is moving through the Caribbean and residents are expressing concern for the weather  

wingnutmn

Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:48 pm

Aren't the doors to the jetway suppose to be closed and locked until the flight crew says they are ready to board? I know that someone can force their way by if it is open but pushing a gate agent over in the brief seconds while opening the door to go check on something sounds either like impeccable timing or someone wasn't following the rules.

Wingnut
Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing! It's a bonus if you can fly the plane again!!

Foxtrot789

Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:11 pm

Quoting shufflemoomin (Reply 23):

All this security theatre in the US trying to prevent terrorism and then someone finally makes it into a situation where they could do real harm and all they do is "attempt to get him out"? How, exactly, where they doing that?

Even if they were dropping bombs and launching missles at the plane, they'd all still just be "attempts" at that point. I think you're just assuming 'attempt' meant some cops were standing outside the door saying "Here hijacker hijacker hijacker, Here boy... (whistle whistle whistle)" .

N766UA

Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:30 pm

Quoting skycub (Thread starter):
The plane is currently on the ground and authorities are attempting to get the man to come out.
Quoting ChazPilot (Reply 22):
Is it Tom Cruise?

I CANNOT believe you beat me to that joke.

That having been said, it's a jet, so I'd think it's more likely to be John Travolta. The cops need to call in R. Kelly.

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 25):
Probably just missed the bus to Louton.

Take this bus to Cuba!!!

[Edited 2012-08-23 11:36:44]
This Website Censors Me

N766UA

Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:33 pm

Completely incorrect. There's no such thing as a "password" or "input" for starting an airplane.
This Website Censors Me

tp1040

Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:44 pm

Ok, I followed up on this.

Turns out is wasn't Tom Cruise or Travolta.

... passenger officials described as "distraught" when he shoved past crewmembers Wednesday and locked himself in a cockpit surrendered to authorities who cut the power so he couldn't start the empty airplane...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...a_n_1824369.html?utm_hp_ref=travel

Maverick623

Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:24 pm

Quoting par13del (Reply 27):

Thank goodness I finished the whole post.... especially after the T-shirt thread   

AirframeAS

Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:02 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 9):
Good job for law enforcement cutting the engine power before he could do anything reckless

1) Law Enforcement cannot do anything to an aircraft as they are not certified to do so. You would need to get a mechanic to do something to the plane.....

2) The only engine I see was probably running was the APU. But then again, the APU may not have been on, thus being powered by ground power.

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 10):
You do need to know how do it though...

You'd need to be certified to do some of this stuff.

These hijackers are getting more and more creative.

Where did you get this idea? Nowhere in the article said anything about a hijacking attempt.

Quoting wingnutmn (Reply 28):
Aren't the doors to the jetway suppose to be closed and locked until the flight crew says they are ready to board?

Yes, they are. The chances are he may have piggy backed another employee who was using the door to access either the airplane or the ramp or both. I'm betting my money on that. I see a fine from the FAA coming on this one for the airline and the employee......

Quoting N766UA (Reply 31):
Completely incorrect. There's no such thing as a "password" or "input" for starting an airplane.

A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

United727

Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:54 pm

Quoting N766UA (Reply 31):

You're saying on ANY transport category jetliner, as long as the APU is powered up and you happen to know all of the systems and switches to turn on, all you have to do is flip the correct engine start and add fuel!?!? Many years ago, a A320 crew was doing a demo and mentioned that on almost all current (circa1993) "UA" aircraft, specific info needed to be inputted before the aircraft's system would allow the engines to turn...

Very interesting to finally put this inaccurate information to bed! Thanks!

N766UA

Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:04 pm

Quoting United727 (Reply 35):
You're saying on ANY transport category jetliner, as long as the APU is powered up and you happen to know all of the systems and switches to turn on, all you have to do is flip the correct engine start and add fuel!?!?

Yep, pretty much. It depends on the jet how involved the start procedure is (as noted, the ERJ is pretty simple, for example), but it's basically just a combination of bleed air, starter, and fuel.

Quoting United727 (Reply 35):
Many years ago, a A320 crew was doing a demo and mentioned that on almost all current (circa1993) "UA" aircraft, specific info needed to be inputted before the aircraft's system would allow the engines to turn...

Yeah, maybe at one point individual aircraft (brand new, experimental, etc) may have had something like that, but no major airliner has such a thing. There's generally enough security between the parking lot and the jet to keep would-be thieves out, and even if they get to the jet most people wouldn't even know where to find the APU start switch let alone be able to figure out the procedures. Even with everything we've discussed here, it's sufficiently vague to be entirely unhelpful.
This Website Censors Me

United727

Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:14 pm

Quoting N766UA (Reply 36):
Even with everything we've discussed here, it's sufficiently vague to be entirely unhelpful.

I would have to speculate between that Enthusiasts/Geeks on here (A.Net), most of us could probably make our way thru the current systems/panels, lol.  

Thanks for clarification 6UA!

N766UA

Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:18 pm

Quoting United727 (Reply 37):
I would have to speculate between that Enthusiasts/Geeks on here (A.Net), most of us could probably make our way thru the current systems/panels, lol

Haha I'm sure there's plenty of flight sim dorks who know their way around a panel pretty well, I wouldn't put it past them. That said, 99.9% of us who make aviation our business (whether or not it actually is) are generally pretty respectful people, and I don't see anyone here pulling off a major jet heist any time soon. There are certainly security measures in place (security/police, SIDA doors with codes, etc), but an FMS "password" is not one of them.
This Website Censors Me

United727

Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:24 pm

Quoting N766UA (Reply 38):
That said, 99.9% of us who make aviation our business (whether or not it actually is) are generally pretty respectful people, and I don't see anyone here pulling off a major jet heist any time soon.

XJetflyer

Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:42 pm

The one who tried to fly over the cookoo's nest!

flightsimer

Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:17 am

Quoting par13del (Reply 27):

I seriously hope that was sarcasm... I'm too tired to really tell...

Quoting Foxtrot789 (Reply 29):
cops were standing outside the door saying "Here hijacker hijacker hijacker, Here boy... (whistle whistle whistle)

BAHAHAHA!!! I just laughed for about a min over that...
Commercial Pilot- SEL, MEL, Instrument

litz

Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:49 pm

This reminds me of an incident a couple years ago where someone stole a CSX locomotive and took it for a "joyride" a few miles down the track to a local bar.

Like an airplane, there are simple basic steps needed to fire up the diesel motor, and configure a locomotive so it'll move ... and there aren't "keys" to turn it on, like a car, either.

Just like this guy will, that guy got in a helluva lot of trouble w/the Feds, too ...

AirframeAS

Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:41 am

Quoting XJetflyer (Reply 40):
The one who tried to fly over the cookoo's nest!

And failed! Best post on this thread, though!
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.